z

Young Writers Society



Rainy Day

by 1dratherbewriting


Life is like a rainy day

It starts out wonderful

splish-splashing in puddles

raincoats and boots

*

But as that rain pours

the sun is covered by clouds

there is no joy anymore

closed

stay inside

*

You feel gloomy

like the sun will never shine again

but then

you look out the window 

and see a rainbow


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 789
Reviews: 70

Donate
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:02 am
anne27 wrote a review...



Hi, I'm Anne here to review your work!!

Firstly, you've done a brilliant job. The poem really touched my heart. And I'll explain how.

MEANING
The meaning was illustrious!! Every cloud has a silver lining! I really liked the usage of rainbow. The description that colors give us just as much happiness as light does, and the supposed glum is not from lack of light but rather from continuous darkness was heartwarming and much appreciated. On the other hand, this poem could have also been effectively used to tell that sometimes, we feel great even in a storm. Since I find, looking at the rain very comforting. But I think, that might not have been the idea o the poem. Good job anyway!

LANGUAGE AND FLOW
The poem flowed smooth like butter.The structure was amazing as well. First happiness, then gloominess and lastly hope. It was very engaging to read it. The language was flawless. I din't however understand why the first stanza only had 4 lines. But maybe that was done intentionally.

Overall, the poem was really enjoyable. A rainbow in my rainy life. Thank you for writing it
And of course, keep writing :)




User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 226
Reviews: 58

Donate
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:47 pm
YourFriendQuirks08 wrote a review...



Heya, Rubes here with a review!

1st impressions:
Wow! I love the language and story line combined to create such a beautiful poem. I love the fact that every stanza is another section of life in a way, it really represents the good days contrasting with the sadder, more lonely days. I adore the way in which you show this both with visual language and almost a unique point of view for every reader. Let's deep into this then :)

"Life is like a rainy day

It starts out wonderful"


Nice start, I like the use of the words "starts out". It makes the reader think oh no, what's going down (or I felt like that at least). I love how mysterious it is for the viewer of this piece. We know it will take a turn, but how exactly we don't know that.

"splish-splashing in puddles

raincoats and boots"


I had to point this part out just because of how much I love it. You could have easily just said "Jumping in the water // very happy indeed" but you used the rainy days to give an example. I love this and it needs to be recognized!

"the sun is covered by clouds

there is no joy anymore"


Again, beautiful 2 lines! I like how you used the weather to slowly darken the meaning, we all know something is going down but can predict what will happen next. I like it, the simplicity as well. It isn't crazy, difficult metaphoric language and can be easily understood.

"You feel gloomy

like the sun will never shine again

but then"


The feeling is real...painfully and truthfully real. It really tells the audience that "hey, we all have bad days, we all do but we need to push on wards" The 'but then' keeps on the edge of our seat.

"and see a rainbow"


I feel like this is a bit sudden, agreeing with what @Phillauthet said earlier on.

I think this is really amazingly done, you definitely showed life and weather together beautifully. :)
stay safe,
Rubes x




User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 1285
Reviews: 76

Donate
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:47 am
Phillauthet wrote a review...



Hi!

This poem expresses your emotions wonderfully. And that's beautiful.
I like how you compare the rain to life.

I know I'm straying from my review here, but I feel that the whole thing depends on your perspective. Personally, I love the rain, I see it as a joyful time when everything is alive and fresh. The thunder can be seen as terrifying roars, or comfort from the heavens. It all depends on how you look at it.

I really don't know what to say, but keep writing!




User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 2211
Reviews: 93

Donate
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:13 pm
starbean wrote a review...



Hi @1dratherbewriting! This is belated, but welcome to YWS! I hope you like it here. I am hannah, and I hope this review is helpful!


Glows:
Wow, I liked this a lot! I love poems that are sequential like this one. I like how it is sort of like a roller coaster anymore and that even in the darkest times, there is hope.

Grows:
This was a good poem, but I think that there are better ways to format it than just asterisks in between stanzas. Maybe just ~ or - ?

I also thought that this:

"You feel gloomy

like the sun will never shine again

but then

you look out the window

and see a rainbow"

was a bit sudden.

Overall, this was a great poem, especially for your first one! Great job. Keep writing and have a great day! I hope this review was helpful! I hope to hear more from you.

Sincerely,

hannah0528




User avatar
616 Reviews


Points: 122617
Reviews: 616

Donate
Sat May 29, 2021 10:48 am
FlamingPhoenix wrote a review...



Hey! FlamingPhoenix here with a review for you on this chilly day.

I really liked this poem, there have been often times I feel this way. Lol I also really liked it because it pouring with rain over here and what better thing to read. :D

I was a little surprised the poem didn't rhyme like most I have read, but I found myself really enjoying it. I do think you could maybe expand on the poem just a tad, I feel there is still space to add more, expand on. But that's just my opinion.
I do still love this poem! Its put together really well, your choice of words were really good, and i also like how you try and avoid using the same words, most writers have trouble with that. I myself really have a hard time.

You did mention this was your first poem so you should be proud of yourself! My poems aren't even this good!

Over all I loved every pit of this and I look forward to seeing more of your works out on YWS! I hope you will continue writing, and have a great day or night!

FlamingPhoenix
Reviewing with a fiery passion.




User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 287
Reviews: 65

Donate
Sat May 29, 2021 12:51 am
pineapple321 wrote a review...



Hi!

I thought I would drop by for a little review since I absolutely love poetry! Today was a very rainy day where I live and this was the perfect thing to read.

First, I liked how the poem didn't really rhyme. It was more of a free verse. The imagery was also great, too. The phrases you used like "splish-splashing in puddles" were great and I could clearly picture it in my head.

The only critique I really have is rhythm. It was a bit inconsistent. Of course, this is just a suggestion so don't feel like you have to fix anything.

Overall, great job! I hope you keep writing and I cannot wait to see more of your work.

Signed,
Pineapple






thank you so much!



User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 171
Reviews: 36

Donate
Fri May 28, 2021 8:02 pm
JohnKlue says...



its nice part of me feels it could go through one more rewrite.
however that part of me is comparing what you have done to what i would have done.
and i do not believe that is a good base for any kind of criticism.

the only critic i think is valid is it could be a touch more haunting.






Im confused..what do you mean?




grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon