Without Destiny: Chapter 1

by Wherethewindgoes

Note to all who happened to read the original prologue: This chapter is a completely different viewpoint from the prologue, and has very little to do with it. In fact, the prologue I posted won't end up being the actual prologue. The new one is here: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=99774

Anyway. Here we are:

Everywhere I go, I hear the whispers of people who want me to be their savior.

This fate that has been prophesied, this path inconveniently thrust in my way, is not one of my choosing. I do not have grand dreams; I have no goals of providence, nor do I wish to be inscribed in the records of history as a great man. If it was my choice, it would have been someone else that was foretold by the Timeless Prophecies, not I.

But Destiny does not give much regard to preference.

I often wonder why I was chosen. I have found no clear answer; I have no abilities in combat, no inherent drive to destroy evil. See, I have heard it is wrong to question gods.

But sometimes I still wonder.

The world around me is a frozen one. Snow spins down from the heavens, adding to the blanket that already rests lightly on the ground, hiding the hard dirt and rock and patches of dying grass. Icicles sparkle on the rotting wood of long-ago burnt houses and the empty branches of the trees that climb up from the ruins. It stretches for miles in all directions, the hollow city of burnt, decaying houses lying in a scorched and torn-up landscape. Even though Kar is near the city, we do not go in, not ever. Not because of a superstition, not because of a fear of some lurking creature.

Because of a fear of ourselves. A fear of the memories that lie there, decaying with the city.

The sun hangs low over the western horizon, its light creating at best a distilled glow. About twenty feet behind me, the ground drops off, leaving a sheer cliff of dark red rock. Here, a damp odor lies upon the usual perpetual smell of smoke. The sky is a grey mass of clouds saturated with frozen droplets, creating an altogether depressing effect, if I may say.

That may be unreliable, though, because at the moment there are other things depressing me.

Footsteps crunch in the snow behind me. I turn only the slightest amount, enough to see, out of the corner of my eye, Leik. He steps up beside me quietly, remaining silent. I do as well, staring out into the fading light of the horizon.

After a moment, Leik breaks the silence by saying, “It’s tonight, then.”

“Yes,” I say.

He pauses, waiting for me to say more. I don’t, so he continues. “You’re going to try to escape?”

“Yea.”

He pauses again. “You’re sure this is a good idea?”

“Nay, friend. Not in the slightest. It’s quite unadvisable, really. Flaunting my heroic duties will bring the Watchers down on me, and disobeying the Timeless Prophecies will probably warrant the wrath of Destiny itself.”

“But you’re still going to do it?”

“Sure.”

Leik eyes me, then sighs. “I can’t change your mind, of course.”

“No. But I’m sure you’ll try.”

Leik shrugs. “There are people counting on you, Aelie. Relying on you to save them from, from this.” He punctuates this by waving his hand at the horizon, towards the rotting city.

“Objection noted, friend.”

"And then ignored, I'm sure."

I shrug, then turn to Leik. “Well. This is goodbye, then, for now.”

“Yeah.”

I put out my hand, and he shakes it. “If I get away...the Western Ledge. Meet me there.”

“I will.”

I look at him for a moment, then nod, turning away. The last rays of the sun glitter in the distance. Behind them, through the falling snow, I see a red glow. For a moment, I’m puzzled, until I realize that it’s from a fire. Torches.

The Watchers.

I begin to walk towards the light, stepping carefully over the rough rock in the darkness. The light nears, and I wave my arms to let them see me. They do, and begin to walk towards me. “Greetings, comrades," I call. "How goes...” As I say this, I notice something strange.

Another light, a cluster bobbing in the darkness, perhaps a hundred yards to the left of the first.

This first one nears; the sun is completely gone now, the light from the moon above not much. It is enough, however, for me to make out the cloaks of the three figures who carry the light.

A dull grey. Not the brown of the Watchers.

Lavaeran soldiers.

I freeze, staring directly at the one who walks in the lead. He stops, but the other two keep walking, stepping up beside me and grabbing my arms. I try to pull away, but their grip is firm.

The man before me speaks, and his voice is like the sound of boots crunching on gravel. “We don’t want any problems,” he says. “You come willingly, or we slaughter your people.”

I finally manage to pull my arms free and I stumble backwards, turning to find two more soldiers cloaked in grey. I stop.

Abruptly, one of them collapses with a grunt; the other follows. A knife glints as Leik steps forward. “Get away from him,” he growls. In a moment the soldiers have swords in their own hands. One steps toward me and Leik throws his shoulder into the soldier, knocking him back.

“Go, Aelie!”

Leik kicks one Lavaeran’s legs from under him, then spins, blocking the swipe of a second.

“GO!”

I am still standing, frozen, staring at the Lavaeran. As I watch, one soldier swings his sword, and the blade pierces Leik’s chest.

He falls, limp.

I stumble backwards. Leik. The world around me spins, the soldiers blurring. My thoughts bounce through my head, interfering with each other, not allowing me to make out the contents of any. The self-preservation evoked by a sword swinging in close proximity brings me back to the present, and I turn, dashing for the cliff, yelling soldiers in pursuit. I trip in the darkness, then scramble back to my feet, continuing to run. I risk a glance back. From the south, soldiers cloaked in brown are running towards the Lavaeran. The second light. I also make out figures running from the city, calling out, engaging the Lavaeran. For me. They’re fighting for me.

And Leik died.

To save me.

All because they think I am destined to be the Sentinel.

The soldiers stumbling after me are gaining. The edge of the cliff is only five yards away. One soldier is within arm’s distance. He dives, reaching for me.

So I jump, leaping off the edge of the cliff, hurtling myself into the spinning snowfall.

StoneHeart wrote a review...

Okay, now this is the type of a chapter I'd expect to find in the middle of a book maybe.
Seriously, this ending, it's too dramatic to be the end of a first chapter.

I feel like I should know something about this war, this whole world, who Aelie is . . .
Sorry, it really needs that, I'd advise you to put a couple of chapters between this and your prologue, either that, or do a LOT of explaining.

You see, when your hero jumps off a cliff and sees their friend dies, I don't feel any emotion really, I mean it's too bad and all . . . but.
You wanna know why I don't?

Well, it's so simple really, the reason is, I don't know your characters.
After reading five or six chapters of your book, all about Leik and Aelie, then I might feel sad when one of them dies, and exhilarated when the other jumps off of a cliff.
I have to know your characters, have lived them, to feel anything when something tragic happens.

It would really help make this better.

See, I have heard it is wrong to question gods.

Okay, this sentence, you have one or two like it.
Your style has changed since the prologue, for the better I think.
You tend to be very formal in the way you write, kind of old fashioned talking too . . .

Using 'see' in here throws that off, it feels too modern.
I'd advise to put a 'but' in there. (No pun intended).

But otherwise you did great here.

I really enjoyed it, I'm reading on, not just because it's review day, but because this is interesting.

Keep writing!!!

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:31 am
dogs wrote a review...

Hello there Wind! Tucker here with your review as requested. To start off, I think you have an excellent ending, especially with from what I read of the prologue. I really think you've done an excellent job of giving us a teasing of how the end will be and than start right back at the beginning. I always have loved the personal monologue books, certainly this one isn't failing to disappoint.

"adding to the blankets that already rests lightly on the white ground"

This line is incredibly awkward, and the first time that your excellent flow really breaks just the tiniest. It just seems like too many words, I'm thinking of how to cut this down a bit. I'm not quite positive but maybe try something like: "Piling on to the white blankets that rest on the ground" or something along those lines.

"its light creating at best a distilled glow"

Excellent imagery here, but a few too many words. Try to omit all useless words whenever you can. Just say: "its light creating a distilled glow."

“Yea.”

Don't say "yea," keep it with the "yes." This just sounds awkward and out of place.

"Nay friend. Not in the slightest"

Ok, my issue here with the language is that you do a mix between Elizabethan and modern English, which really don't work well together. Stick with one of the other.

Quick point, firstly you need to add in some text about when the Sentinel walks away form Leik, because he seems to be confronted so suddenly that it doesn't seem like he puts any distance from Leik. Furthermore, you should describe how many soldiers are there, just to give us an image of what Leik is fighting up against.

All my notes are tiny nit picks because this piece is pretty darn good. I loved reading it and you had excellent writing flow. I can't wait to read the next chapter! Let me know if you ever need a review. Keep up the good work!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032

Thanks for the review! I'll make sure to edit with those things in mind.

Also, the prologue actually took place before the story (it's why the world is somewhat post-apocalyptic). Do you think I need to make that clearer?

Shady wrote a review...

Hey indgo!

Shady here with a review for your piece! :)

As Xiira said, it was hard to find anything to critique in your piece. You use very good grammar and syntax, and your spelling is very nice, for the most part; which, as I'm sure you know, we reviewers appreciate greatly.

The error I did see is here...

“Yeah.”
~ This might or might not have been a typo, but it is probably my biggest pet peeve, so you're getting a lecture anyway. ;)

"Yea" is Elizabethan English, it is pronounced "Yay" and means "Though" I do believe. I'm not sure. I'm not good with Elizabethan English. "Yeah" means 'yes', and is what people are going for 99% of the time they type "Yea".
~~~

That's all I saw to change. This is a very good piece.

The only other suggestion I can think to make, is to have a bit more character development. Your story interests me-- it sounds along the same lines as my story is based on (though very different)-- but your characters don't engage me. I don't care about Aelie yet. I have no way to connect with her yet.

Fix that, and I'd say you're golden. I'd be interested in following this story.

If you need any more help or have any questions, feel free to PM or Wall me.

Keep Writing!

~Shady 8)

Thanks for the review! I'll make sure to add in more character development.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:48 am
Auxiira wrote a review...

Hi Wherethewindgoes! Auxii here to review your work!

I can't find much to say about this! You write really well and don't make many mistakes. There's just one or two tiny winy things in the last paragraph that I would maybe change if I were you.

The self-preservation evoked by a sword swinging in close proximity brings me back to the present

Instead of evoked, maybe put provoked, I don't know. Just evoked doesn't seem ... right.

and here:
I also make out figures running from the city, calling out, engaging the Lavaeran.

Isn't it "engaging with the Lavaeran." ? I'm not really sure but I think that it's that...

Anydonkey I absolutely adore this chapter and I can't wait for the next one! (love the cliffhanger by the way ^^)

Hope I helped!
Auxii^^

Thanks for the review.

Auxiira says...

you're welcome!

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
— Dr. Seuss