A Writer's View

by Ary

A writer...what does define a writer?. They call us people who don't mind spending a long period of time using a computer or a notebook to compose literary work or read it. What would you answer if they asked you to define what is a writer or what does it mean to be one?. I'll give you my response to that. A writer is a human being that uses its heart, its mind and its imagination to, not just express itself, but to show the world what an amazing place it can be. We don't just write words in a paper we make history in it. We make imposibilities come to life with just a small movement of our pen. We do commit errors from time to time, and they may not be erasable but they're still ammendable and we'll try to make the best of it. We demonstrate people that we are not just silly humans using a paper to write only love notes or death wishes. I believe a writer has a voice and we know how to speak with it. I believe we have a pen and we know how to use it. I believe we have an imagination and we know how to show it. And I truly do believe we have a mind that we know how to express it. And we have a heart which we use to feel. And with that heart it is how I define a writer. Don't expect us to be perfect beings just because of our graceful, yet, not so graceful writing, we are just normal people that actually take the time to understand what is around us and inside of us. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right but each and one of us has a world of their own and when we combine them...well let's just say there's nothing a writer can not create.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:15 am
BadNarrator wrote a review...

hey Ary.

because a lot has already been said about the content of this piece I'm going to limit most of my comments to the form. as it stands right now the single block of text is a little daunting. I suggest breaking it down into separate paragraphs. perhaps you should go through it once more, highlight each of the main points and then insert a paragraph break there. when you're done you might want to go ahead and elaborate on each of the main points using specific concrete details.

for example where it says "We don't just write words in a paper we make history in it." you could make this its own paragraph and elaborate on it. give a short account of a specific history from a favorite short story or poem. go into as much detail as you possibly can, but do it in as few words as possible.

by doing this this the text itself will demonstrate the point it is making about writing.

that's all I have for now. good work. feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Haven wrote a review...

Love it just absolutely love it. I totally agree with you and I feel great just reading this. It feels like I can now write anything without worrying about what others have to say about it not being good enough of perfect for them. I feel inspired and confident. So thank you Ary for writing this, without your piece right here I would have probably just given up and find a different way to show how I feel and what I think. So thank you.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:35 am
WritingWolf wrote a review...

This was really lovely.

I have to say I agree with you. The only thing I'd add if I where to write something like this is that, in a way, everyone is a "writer". We write out our own lives, but unfortunately we write in pen, and cannot erase our errors and mistakes. The only difference is that the people who the world calls writers, they try to express more of themselves. While everyone "writes" out the basics of their own life, writers try to tell their story in multiple ways. Often times being very subtle about; and sometimes writing a hole book, just to explain one moment of their life.
But thats just my opinion.

I really liked this piece. You have a nice way with words. Good job. :)

blakey789 wrote a review...

Its perfectly lovely the way you described writers.
At first place, I don't really like people who think that about writers, though I know people like that. I don't mind cause I know how lovely of a job it is.
Its true, we do make impossiblities come to life with our imagination, only if people know how hard it is to do.
We speak through words, beautiful sentence which seems to define a feeling, which is hard to describe through any other means.
Yes, there's nothing that a writer can not create.
If we combine the worlds of all the writers, it might put this world to shame, if compared. Just saying. :P
I really loved the whole thing, and of course it's hard to find a fault in it but after reading it, you feel happy and good.
:)
Regards, blakey789

chancesnchanges says...

Your piece is so nice.. =)
I liked the content and how you express your thoughts of being a writer. It defines you and us -- other writers in some ways, as well..

Good Job..
Keep going..

ll
U

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:11 am
Questio wrote a review...

Nailed it, as far as the message goes. You've described how I as a writer veiw other writers that I look up to. Imagination is what defines all people, writers I think most of all. Even if our methods of delivery need help (me) we still have a message, a point. In all genres and sub-genres. A work of fiction can contain as many points and opinions and even facts as any article in a newspaper or even a blog. Writers give so much to the world, and the world can give so much back. To define a writer is to define someone with ideas and imagination and who is at least a little crazy. Writers leave something behind, and (at least for me) they change lives and inspire people to do things and to try things that used to be impossible.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:38 am
Sherlock wrote a review...

I've completely edited this and this is the polished version of your piece:
A writer. What defines a writer? They say we're the only ones who don't mind spending lots of time in front of the computer, notebook or any book, really, reading and writing. What would you say if you were asked what being a writer meant to you? My response to that is this:
A writer is a human being who uses his/her heart, mind and imagination to, not just express oneself, but to show the world how wonderful it really is. We don't just write words on paper; we create history. We make the impossible seem possible with just our imagination and some words on paper. We do commit errors from time to time and while they may not be erasable, they are open to correction, and no matter what, we still keep writing. I believe every person has a voice, but writers are the medium for that voice. Through us, ideas come to life. We express what other people cannot. We are infinite when we write. We have hearts, hearts that bring us and our stories to life. And that is what defines a writer, that is what being a writer means.
Don't expect us to be perfect, we'll disappoint you. Just because we observe more, doesn't mean we observe everything; in fact, when it comes to feelings, a lot of us are really thick. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right, but this I know for sure: there is nothing that a writer cannot create.

I really liked this. It captured everything, and I edited it cause the beauty was buried under many, many grammatical mistakes, and while I am no English major, I can correct it as much as my current grade of English allows me to. I hope it was fine.

Sherlock.

Ary says...

Trust me I knew I had a lot of grammar errors. But since my english has gone a little rusty I let it as it is. Problem when I stop reading my books for too long I start commiting lots of grammatical errors but I still remember it just with less punctuation and thanks for the polished version it sounds way more elegant. Thank you for the review too and glad you liked it. :)

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:15 am
AwesomeSauce says...

S'up?!
Okay, apart from minor erros in this peice, I really like it! It actually describes what we do in life! I think so anyway!
The way I would tell someone would be this....
*cough* Well, a writer can be many things. We can be emotional people to the people that are different. What we are artists, but instead of using paints and drawing materials, we use words and paint with them to make an imagery. We also have a larger imagination to you lot, so be careful on what you say...XD
Again, love it!

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:48 am
Adriana12Alexis says...

I love this, I think it is so true. The same goes for artists and musicians. I don't tend to read things like this, but I'm glad I read this one. I really like. Thanks for telling the world about us.

I could literally be Obama and you guys would never know.
— AilahEvelynMae