Thief Assassin: Chapter 4

by Auxiira

Auxi tossed and turned in her bed as she slept that night. She was having dreams of her past, a past that she tried her hardest to forget, but that would haunt her for the rest of her life. She regretted what she’d done and had tried to take her own life more than once because of it. But eventually, she’d realised that living was her punishment, even if she had had no choice in the matter. The battle with her other self continued in her dreams, an endless and painful struggle.

In her dream a children’s song started softly and started to get louder and louder. Auxi struggled to wake up and as the song reached its second verse she jolted awake. Her hand clutched the handle of the front door tightly as if she would never let go. She slowly loosened her hold and let her hand drop to her side. Only then did she notice that her other hand clutched something. Looking down she realised that it was a dagger, the one that she had used earlier. With a small desperate cry she let it drop to the ground and shook her head angrily, furious at herself for letting the other her take over, even for a second, for letting her past take over, even if not completely.

She left the knife on the floor where it had fallen and started back up the stairs towards her room. Seeing Zach at the top of stairs watching her, she stopped and stared back at him with haunted eyes. He was the only one in the thieves who knew about her past and what could happen, would happen if the other her took over. Seeing her haunted expression, his turned anxious and he scanned her from head to toe, stress tensing his body, before speaking to her.

“Did you…?” there was apprehension in his voice and he looked as if he was about to run down the stairs to her.

“No.” She said tiredly. “I stopped before it could happen. I woke up…” She sighed. “Watch out when you leave tomorrow. There’s a dagger on the floor.” She started back up the stairs. As she approached him Zach opened his mouth to say something but Auxi stopped him with a dark look. “Don’t, please. Just don’t.” She pushed past him and into her room, leaving him at the top of the stairs.

He sighed and went downstairs to pick up the knife. Turning it over in his hands he tested the blade on his fingernail. It was sharp, sharper than any dagger a thief would need to use should be. An assassin’s knife. There were two symbols etched roughly onto the blade. Zach ran his thumb over them then went back upstairs to his room. Lighting his oil lamp, he peered at the symbols, somehow already knowing what they would be. A stylised A, the horizontal bar a dagger was the first symbol. Zach, like everyone in the City, even in the Inner Circle, knew what it meant and feared it, the force and meaning behind it. But it was the second one, a simple teardrop that disturbed Zach so much more than the first. It was Auxi’s sign. He had seen it next to the A before, but the last time had been over six years ago. It had been the last time Auxi had been sleepwalking, the last time she had lost to her past.

Zach frowned. Why would Auxi start sleepwalking again? She hadn’t met any of the people from her past. He trusted her to tell him if she did. Unless it was someone that she couldn’t remember. He sighed. There was no point wandering what had triggered her when there was so much that could do so. He reached under his bed and drew out a locked box. Unlocking it, he placed the dagger next to three others with the same symbols on them, locking it again afterwards. He couldn’t stop her from having a dagger, it was part of her life now to always have at least one on her, but he could take away the ones with the symbols on them in the hope that it might stop her.

He sighed again, a sigh full of pity for Auxi, then turned out the lamp and tried to sleep, even if it evaded him.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:48 pm
Rydia wrote a review...

Alright! So I have defeated the laundry and now I am here to defeat your chapter. Okay, so I'm not really going to defeat it because that would imply it was a big, scary monster, but I am going to read and review!

1. The start of this chapter is a little rocky. If you're not going to give us a more certain hint of what she did that was so bad, then don't mention it until you're ready to. Hinting should be built around a small pea of information, otherwise it's just empty over-dramatised suggestions. It's the equivalent of 'Look here, this is going to get exciting!' instead of being subtle and gently building the excitement. It's all a part of building atmosphere, which I might talk about at the end of this chapter!

2. Instead of saying it's the dagger she used earlier, give us a specific detail of it. Tell us it's the ruby dagger or the dagger with the piece of string around its pommel. We weren't in the story when she used it earlier so that means little to us and instead if you made this a less generic dagger and more of one she recognises as being significant, then we will recognise it also. And it's a more sublte way of telling us she might have killed someone because we'll not know what part this dagger played. For all we know it might have belonged to a person she kidnapped and that might be this big wrong doing she has performed.

3. There's too much telling going on here and I can now very quickly infer that James is the one she's met from her past and maybe that's a red herring and I'm completely wrong, but even if it is, your reader's still going to experience a moment of 'oh yeah, like that's not obvious'. And that's not so good because it's the point where you risk them detaching from the story and putting the book down, even if they are wrong. If you had Zach jump to these conclusions before the reader got there, that would work because then you're not pretending to be subtle. But big, dramatic hints that appear to have obvious answers are annoying.

Okay so I might have preferred this chapter to be entirely from Zach's point of view. Did we need to see Auxi having the nightmare? You told us nothing about it so maybe it would be more interesting to start from Zach being woken by something/ just getting back from some shady mission or sending the note in the last chapter. Then he stops on the stairs and sees her there and is afraid.

That would be more intriguing as it would make us curious as to why he would fear Auxi and then you could have their dialogue and the end of the chapter wouldn't feel like you'd made a character switch and we'd get some of Zach's thoughts, which would be cool. It would also help to make Auxi seem more interesting and less dramatic. When we have her thoughts on the situation, it feels very self centred. If we get to see her through Zach's eyes, we might be able to understand better some of his pity and uncertainty toward her.

Atmosphere

Alright! So you have a lot of lovely visuals and a good understanding of sentence structure, but your atmosphere is just a little off. This is because you don't spend enough time on the finer details of settings. Like this chapter. We get that they're on the stairs, but that's probably the biggest setting element you give us. There's no mention of a vase of flowers in her room or that the edge of the rug is curled up against a heavy, gilded chest.

You're also not covering the other four sense as much as I'd like you to. You did good in chapter one with Jack's voice, but what about other sounds? Does Zach listen to her footsteps as Auxi walks away? Is there the sound of a scuffle in the street outside? I don't imagine these bases are very sound-proof or are they? What are they built of? Is this a large wooden house, brick, stone?

Little details could really help to engross your reader in this piece. If you can drown out the sound of my washing machine with your descriptions of a street fight or by telling me that the dagger is strangely warm to the touch or cold, then you'll have more of my attention. For the most part you're good at this, but every now and then you forget to tell us where the characters are or what they're doing, besides recounting all their past troubles to us ;) More current details and less past woes please!

See you around,

Heather xxx

Anouk wrote a review...

I like where the story is going. Chapter 3 was really short. And some words were missing, proof-reading wold be helpful. Other than that. The story is really nice. Especially Chapter 4. Auxi's past and the fact Zach (who by-the-way sounds surreal) knows about it. I'm looking forward to reading Chapter 5.

Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to it.

Anouk~

Auxiira says...

Thanks for the comment Anouk! um missing words... goes and looks ... um yep I see what you mean. changes it yep, there we go ^^

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:41 pm
Toboldlygo wrote a review...

"He sighed again, a sigh full of pity for Auxi, then turned out the lamp and tried to sleep, even if it evaded him."

Also, I really like that quote. It's almost saying that there's more to how he feels about her than was previously brought out.

What's with the daggers with symbols? Do they have special meaning for these people?

Toboldlygo says...

Oh, and how do I paste quotes into my reviews without using the copy/paste thing? I know I've seen it done, but I can't figure out how. thanks!

Auxiira says...

yes, in Kisas, which is the name of the city, daggers with symbols on them have a special meaning. For instance, a dagger with your name on could be meant to kill just you or a dagger with an A on could belong to an assassin... (big hint to what she used to be there =D)

Sorry, I'm new here I don't know how to do the quote thingy. Try looking in the forums.

Lycando says...

The BB code for quoting is
YOUR TEXT HERE
. You have to manually copy the text though.

Auxiira says...

I don't know if that worked Lycando. [ quote] ... [/ quote] without the spaces

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:39 pm
Toboldlygo wrote a review...

This some very interesting stuff! I especially like the character development going on here! Here are my notes on characters:

Auxi: she's pretty cute, but she strikes me as being rather careless for someone who has so many responsibilities. I like this, as she adds some lightheartedness to the story, but I also feel like she should be more careful in taunting the City Guards. But she only seems to do this when she knows she has a way out, so that's ok. She seems almost to have a split personality, something I like as it adds depth to her character. I'm interested in finding out out more about her past, though, since it seems to be crucial to understanding her as a character. I sense a bit of lonliness from her, I think particularly since she doesn't have any real close friends. Except maybe for Zach, but at the same time, I get the feeling there's a slight bit of tension between them. It'll be interesting to see what develops there.

Zach: He seems so steady, which is good. Auxi needs someone like that. I can't quite decide what he thinks of her, though. He definitely cares about her, but how he cares and the extent that he cares is a mystery to me. The note he left with Jack was an interesting twist, too. It makes me wonder if he cares for her more than he lets on, or possibly he is scared of what might happen to the rest of them if she goes.

Jack: I don't know entirely what to think of him. He's too sure of himself, for one thing. Obviously he underestimated Auxi, big mistake for a Captain. But he also seemed determined not to let that happen again. He apparently has magical abilities, so I'd like to see more along those lines in terms of how he got them, how he developed them, how he uses them, etc. Also I'd like to see more about what he thinks of Auxi. Auxi seemed to think that something terrible had happened to him, so more elaboration on that would be great.

Overall, this is really awesome! Can't wait for Chapter 5!

Auxiira says...

Haaaaa... your questions will be answered later... Zach's feelings will be revealed in the next chapter, Jack's past will be revealed...when I can make a chapter to bind it to the story but it will probably be a bit later and Auxi, well Auxi has many demons, one of which will come back to haunt her in chapter 6... mouahahahahaaaa...

Meet me in Montauk.
— Charlie Kaufman