z

Young Writers Society



Thief Assassin: Chapter 3

by Auxiira


At the City Guard barracks, Jack was reading the file on Auxi. She was well known to the City Guard, first as an unruly child, then as a disruptive orphan with magpie-like tendencies. At ten, however, she completely disappeared from the city. Someone had slid a note into the file saying that she had probably left the city to visit her parent’s tribe, one of the forest tribes to tell them of their death. Jack didn’t think that that was true. Auxi didn’t seem like the kind of person t leave the place she had always lived in, especially after her parent’s death. So something else had happened.

She then suddenly returned at the age of thirteen in the care of one of the thieves. She used that protection to commit lots of petty crimes, and her skill s to not get caught. She rapidly gained the trust of the Thief and when he was caught by the City Guard and executed four years later, she took over as the Thief of his area. At first the other Thieves had thought that she wouldn’t last long, and had tried to take over Auxi’s turf which had resulted in a dangerous period for the people around that area and a busy time for the City Guard because of that. She had been Thief for three years now and had made her group into a lucrative business. He snorted softly at the quantity of complaints she had accumulated in only 20 years. She was definitely one troublesome woman. He added his report to the file, then put it back on the shelf he had removed it from. Picking up the pages of notes he had written, he left the archives and made his way to his room so that he could look them over and think of a plan.

As he got to his room, he noticed a folded piece of paper tacked to the door with his name scrawled on it in an untidy scrawl that couldn’t belong to anyone in the City Guard. Slightly curious, he put it on top of his papers and entered his room, locking the door so that no one would disturb him. His room was small and basic, with no unneeded objects. A single bed, a desk with a chair and a wardrobe were the only object that occupied his room and they were all he needed. Placing the notes on the desk next to a pile of other papers then took the paper that had been tacked to his door and unfolded it. Written in the same untidy scrawl as his name on the other side was a warning, a threat.

“Watch you tread and keep an eye on your mind,”

If you’re out for us the knives ain’t far behind.”

Keep out of our business Captain.

It was signed Zach, Auxi’s deputy. Jack smirked slightly and put down the paper. Far from stopping him from chasing Auxi, it made him even more determined to find out who this girl really was and catch her.

The way the message was written amused him slightly. He hadn’t expected the thieves to write in verse but then he had never been involved like this with the thieves. Also, Auxi’s group didn’t seem like your normal thieves. The slang that riddled it was typical of the outer circle; Auxi had spoken like that earlier, with that annoying drawl that people who’s families weren’t’ originally from the City. He looked back to the scrap of paper. He could almost hear the sarcastic tone that “Captain” had been written in. The fact that it wasn’t from Auxi but from her deputy was strange. He would have expected Auxi to write it seeing as she would be the one the one who would be annoyed with the fact that she was being chased. Maybe her deputy, Zach was more concerned about his Thief than she was about herself. That would be interesting. He thought it over for a bit then smiled predatorily. This hunt would be fun. He stared to think of a plan.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1220 Reviews


Points: 72525
Reviews: 1220

Donate
Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:04 am
Kale wrote a review...



Hail, Fellow Order member! I have come to liberate this forlorn chapter of yours from the Green Room, as is our shared sacred duty!

I believe I may have reviewed the chapter right after this, which made reading this chapter interesting because now I know a little more about what lead to the events in that chapter I reviewed a while back. XD

With that said, this chapter surprised me with how short it was. Now, I happen to like short chapters (especially when I'm reviewing ;P), but this chapter felt a bit too short. You do a lot of telling infodump-style, and it isn't all that interesting to read. Instead of just giving your readers the information all in one go, I'd recommend alternating these pieces of information with the character's actions. Taking the first paragraph for example:

At the City Guard barracks, Jack was reading the file on Auxi. She was well known to the City Guard, first as an unruly child, then as a disruptive orphan with magpie-like tendencies. At ten, however, she completely disappeared from the city. Someone had slid a note into the file saying that she had probably left the city to visit her parent’s tribe, one of the forest tribes to tell them of their death. Jack didn’t think that that was true. Auxi didn’t seem like the kind of person t leave the place she had always lived in, especially after her parent’s death. So something else had happened.

If you were to mix in a bit more of Jack's actions like so:
At the City Guard barracks, Jack was reading the file on Auxi. He started with the oldest reports, skimming over the accounts of an unruly child turned disruptive orphan with magpie-like tendencies. There were no reports of when Auxi was ten, and someone had slid a note into the file saying that she had probably left the city to visit her parent’s tribe, one of the forest tribes to tell them of their death. Jack didn’t think that that was true. Auxi didn’t seem like the kind of person t leave the place she had always lived in, especially after her parent’s death. He suspected that something else had happened.

It's not perfect, but you get the general idea. Having a whole bunch of information clumped together is a bit tiring for the readers to read, an so alternating information with character actions keeps things less like a history lesson and more like a story. You have a little bit of this, but you could use a bit more incorporating of Jack's actions into the narration since right now, it's heavily slanted towards info, info, info. Including more of Jack's (and other characters') actions would also help characterize them indirectly, which is a very good thing as most of the things we learn about other people aren't told to us; we learn them by watching those other people. Weaving in more of the characters' actions into the narration would help give readers something to watch and learn about the characters from, which in turn will make the characters feel more real to your readers.




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:59 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



Hello! So I just spent ten minutes debating on doing my laundry or writing the next review. It seems you won out! And yes, you are going to have a commentary of my life today so deal with it :D

Specifics

1. Wait. I want to know more of what's in this file before I feel okay with Jack making a judge on the kind of girl Auxi is. If he has only facts on her thievery, then I need to see that he's got a no-tolerance personality for law breakers, or I need the details of how many guards she has killed and a case stacked against her. I want to see his view of her and his determination to bring her in.

2. What's he doing while reading this? I don't want just the file details. I know. I am being picky. But maybe describe him moving around the room, drinking some coffee. Calling to someone else in the room or asking them about a part of the file. Do we maybe have a file expert he can be consulting so you can give us the important details without too much of the in between?

3. Oh he's writing his report, snazzy! I want to see him thinking then adding another line in between reading. Does he write in ink and need to blot off the paper? Please give us details! That's what makes a story and I want a sense of the technology you're adhering to. Do they have pens yet or quills?

4.

As he got to his room, he noticed a folded piece of paper tacked to the door with his name scrawled on it in an untidy scrawl that couldn’t belong to anyone in the City Guard.
First point is you have scrawled and scrawl - please try not to be repetitive! But my second point is far more important: how does he know the handwriting of every city guard? And don't tell me they all have to pass neatness tests to get in because that's ridiculous. My handwriting is atrocious. Even when I fill in important documents, I just can't make it neat enough! But it's not a requirement of being a guard... is it?

5.
His room was small and basic[color=red;[/color], with no unneeded objects. A a single bed, a desk with a chair and a wardrobe were the only objects that occupied his room and they were all he needed.


6.
“Watch you tread and keep an eye on your mind,”
Is it meant to be grammatically incorrect or should it be 'your'. I think if it's meant to be, there needs to be multiple mistakes so that we can see it's the writers poor writing and not your own ;)

7. For all Zach's words, he's an idiot. Surely he knows that a message like that would only further enrage the captain? That's not bad by the way! Simply a character observation that Zach isn't as smart as he likes to think he is.

Overall

I don't like the tone of this in places. It feels too un-serious. Too much like there's not going to be an execution at the end of this. It's okay for Auxi to not take it seriously, but Jack should not be thinking of them as being 'annoyed' by him. It's more than an annoyance! He should be cross himself that they don't take the City Guard seriously and should certainly not be joining in with the impression that they're useless.

I think this is your weakest chapter so far, but it's also short so it shouldn't be too much of a troublesome one to fix! I like Jack. But I liked him better when I was seeing him from Auxi's view and he seemed more mature. This chapter paints him in a not-so-strong light and he now feels closer to fifteen than twenty. Of course, you are fifteen, so it's not your natural voice to write a man who is older and more jaded! But please write his sections more slowly and choose his language carefully. I'd like to see him think in a different tone to Auxi. It's okay for him to think of it as a hunt, but he also needs to be more aware of the serious consequences and needs to justify it by thinking of her less as a little girl and more as a notorious thief and murderer.

Not my favourite chapter then, but I'll see you at number four!

Heather xxx




Kale says...


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

You beat me by five minutes. ;.;



Rydia says...


We need some kind of system where people say which pieces they're reviewing xD



User avatar
197 Reviews


Points: 13932
Reviews: 197

Donate
Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:16 pm
Lycando wrote a review...



Hey there!

So I like where this story is going, as I've been saying. It's getting more and more interesting. This chapter delves further into Auxi's background, which I think is pretty interesting considering there are gaps in her lifetime that aren't filled out.

This Captain is another interesting character. He's pretty confident of himself, since he's an Elemental, and I'm curious of what kind of plan he has for Auxi.

From this you also show that Zach somehow cares for Auxi even though he doesn't show it. I also like the way the note was written, in verses.

One thing though is to split the paragraphs up. It's a little inconsistent when some paras are bigger and some are smaller, especially when they come right after each other. Other than that this story is progressing smoothly, and I'm more than curious as to what is going to happen next.




Auxiira says...


yeah...I think that we're going to do a class on paragraphing next week in English... it should get better^^'




"Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."
— V for Vendetta