Gateway to the Supernatural

by abelgaiya

I am Doctor Maynard Hemm. This is a documentation of my experiment with the psychedelic substance known as dimethyltryptamine. It is the most illegal substance in the world. It is also known as the 'spirit molecule'; allegedly being able to open the senses of an individual to the realm of the supernatural.

14th December 2012

After assessing and studying all the primary data about the substance that I could procure, I was ready to try it on myself. Although I knew that the drug induces hallucinations, I was unsure of it's true capabilities; of what I would experience...of what I would see. But science is about risks is it not?

I prepared a dosage of 20 ml, which is considered average. I gazed at the syringe for a long time. The green liquid was slowly pervading inside the syringe. It was as if it the liquid moved on its own. It seemed to be alive. What was I saying? I haven't even injected myself and I'm already speaking nonsense.

Five, four, three, two, one...

I opened my eyes to see myself lying on the floor in the corner of my laboratory, facing the wall.

What happened? Did I faint? Why don't I remember anything that happened?

I glanced at my wristwatch and saw that it had only been twelve seconds since I injected myself. I could not understand what was happening.

I heard a half muffled voice behind me. Impossible! Nobody could have gotten into my laboratory; nobody knew about my laboratory!

I heard the voice again; this time clearer. It sounded familiar.

The voice said my name. The person called out my name the way he used to when he was...with me.

A sudden paralyzing chill went through my body. Could it be? Impossible!

"Brian!" I yelled out in shock. I could not believe that my brother, who died two years ago was standing a few yards in front of me. He looked just as grumpy as he did when he was alive. His face had those little wrinkles and soggy colour that marked his early transition into the old age of forty. He was wearing loose white shorts and a loose white shirt. This looked unusual because Brian always wore leather jeans and a T-shirt. What was I saying, the whole thing looked unusual.

I wondered how the drug could create such a vivid hallucination of my late brother.

"Fascinating. The hallucination seems vivid"

He stood there in silence once more and then, he burst into laughter. The same loud annoying laughter usually heard years ago when Brian was alive. I sat there on the floor, perplexed by the hallucination's unjustified cachinnation.

"May, you're not hallucinating. This is real"

"Intriguing. The hallucination creates its own verbal persuasive response" I was more intrigued at how the hallucination called me 'May', which is the girly name my annoying elder brother used to call me.

"I'm serious. I'm really here. I can prove it to you"

I stood there staring at the hallucination while it approached me.

"It's amazing how the drug uses my brain- OUCH!"

The hallucination hit my knee with an iron rod! I was in pain when I realized that I was not supposed to feel the pain. Or was the pain another hallucination? No, it was too painful to be a hallucination. I tried to convince myself that the pain wasn't real...it didn't work.

I kept holding my knee while jumping up and down around the lab. Even as my imagination, my bother was still able to inflict pain upon me. He kept on laughing and pointing at me.

Finally the pain subsided. I was able to think straight again.

"I told you I'm real"

"But that cannot be. The laws don't allow-"

"May, the supernatural realm doesn't work on the scientific laws of the human realm" The man cut in.

"Supernatural? That is all mumbo jumbo!"

"What else do I have to do to make you believe? I could grab that electrocution device-"

"NO!" I yelled, not wanting to take any more chances. But then I thought, if it was not real, how could the hallucination have held the rod to hit me?

"All right May, since you don't want to believe, I'll make you believe even when the spirit molecule wears off"

"That is not possible"

"Hey, May, leave impossibility to be handled by me okay? Just beware that in trying to get you to believe, I will be making your life miserable. As your senses have been opened to the supernatural realm, the supernatural realm will continue to be open to you"

As this was said, I began to feel dizzy. Everything abruptly became blurry and inconsistent. I lost consciousness afterwards.

I found myself lying on the floor again. I stood up and found everything in its rightful place. I took one stop forward and almost fell. My knee was wounded!

Read the second episode here: Gateway to the Supernatural (2)

Lycando wrote a review...

Hey there!

I really liked the first paragraph. It clearly describes the drug and introduces it to the reader. For a science fiction story, this is somehow important because many ideas and concepts are usually new to the reader, due to the fact that they are invented by the writer. You described the and it's effects pretty clearly so the reader won't be confused in later paragraphs.

Now you talk about hallucinations here. It's a very complex subject that has to do with the brain, as far as I'm concerned. For this I definitely agree with what Sureal says. Do research on hallucinations and how a person will really feel. I don't think a hallucination will seem that vivid. Normally it comes as a blur to most people, if you've read stories on the net. Remember Google is your best friend.

I like this concept of a drug that is able to connect both the human and supernatural realm. You made it to be that what happens in one realm carries on to the other, as how May still had the wound when she was back in her own world. I think that this concept could definitely be developed further into something more, perhaps even the continual travel between both dimensions or even a disruption to both. Given that the reality is somehow warped here.

I really am enjoying this story, I like the idea of how a drug can take you to a different state. A supernatural one where you can see images of dead people, or even the past. I'm looking forward to see further chapters on this and I believe this will be a great story!

Hope my review helped!

abelgaiya says...

As always Lycando, your review was helpful. I intend to keep this story going on for sometime.
Cheers

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:37 pm
Sureal wrote a review...

Hi there, abelgaiya!

What I'm going to do with this review is suggest some ways in which I think this story could be improved. Most of it is going to be subjective - it's only my opinion, after all - but I reckon it's worth you taking it all into consideration when you come to edit this. Feel free to cherry-pick which of my opinions you agree with, and which you disagree with.

I'm mentioning the above because my very first suggestion is going to be: cut out the entire first paragraph. Yeah, I know - no one likes to be told to cut out chunks of their writing, writing that they poured their (hopefully not literal) blood, sweat and tears into. But I think you should cut out the opening paragraph for two reasons:

1) It's an example of telling instead of showing (and this is a Bad Thing), and 2) 'After assessing and studying all the primary data about the substance that I could procure, I was ready to try it on myself' is a far more gripping opening sentence, in my humble opinion.

Next up: I'm not entirely convinced by the main character's acceptance that her brother is not a hallucination because he can cause her pain. She's a scientist studying the nature of hallucinations, so I expect her to be knowledgeable in the area - so it takes me out the story when she seems to know less about the subject than I do. (Pain can be hallucinated - any sensation can.) Always remember to do your research. Start by Googling drugs and hallucinations, and see what you can learn about them. Strive to be as accurate as you can, because mistakes like this will distract your readers. And who knows, maybe you'll even find something during you researching that will inspire you further.

I like the idea of a drug that opens you up to a supernatural realm (or does it? Maybe play up the uncertainty throughout the story - keep the reader guessing for a while whether or not there is a supernatural realm, or if May is simply under the influence of dimethyltryptamine). It'd be interesting for you to explore how the drug affects the world - May surely isn't the only one to have discovered it opens you to the supernatural realm, so are grieving parents taking the drug to see their children again? Are the police using it to help solve murder cases? And of course people will be taking it recreationally too - what does long term abuse of the drug do to these people?

It's an interesting premise, and I think there's a lot you can do with it.

abelgaiya says...

Thanks for the pointers.
The drug is real and it's actually nicknamed 'spirit molecule'. There isn't much publication about it because research and experimentation on it is globally forbidden. I was serious when I wrote that it's the most illegal drug in the world.
The reason it's unique is because almost immediately, subjects go into a state of severe hallucination in which inter-dimensional entities are seen and interacted with. All subjects used for these experiments all draw out similar experiences from their visitation.
My plan is to make this story into a series. That's why I didn't put in all necessary information. Expect more.

i am neither a loose leaf nor do i like loose leafs. really, i am a piece of wide-ruled looseleaf paper
— looseleaf