The Boy

by disheartenedcat

Sometimes he walks alone,
Right by my room, unaware of his surroundings. 
I wonder if the music in his head is playing too loud,
Or if his thoughts are racing too fast.

I wonder where he goes,
That boy that walks alone.
I watch the leaves crumble beneath his feet,
And the wind sweep through his hair.

Does he hear the people?
Their words and their laughter?
I envy his ability to block out the world,
To simply walk alone. 

Sometimes I sit in my room,
But my thumping music doesn't block it out. 
My racing thoughts don't keep it away. 
I'm jealous of that boy who walks alone.

He walks by my window everyday,
But he never sees me. 
So one day I decide to follow him.  

I go up to his side and walk with him.
He knows I'm there, but he says nothing.
He just grins slightly, a glint in his dark green eyes.
We just walk.
I finally understand that boy who walks alone. 

Monday of last week the boy stopped walking. 
He didn't walk by my window. 
He didn't walk by the park. 
The boy didn't walk.

He didn't the next day. 
Or the day after that. 
Or any day since. 
So I decided to walk, and see if I could find him. 

While I walk it starts snowing.
Ice cold snowflakes falling to earth as I walk alone. 
The world seems deserted today. 
Everyone is hidden indoors. 

I get to the park and walk through it.
Walking alone. 
And I find him.
That boy who stopped walking past my window. 

The boy who used to walk alone now lays on the ground under a bare tree,
Alone. 
Snow freckling his long eyelashes and dark hair. 
His face drained of color, lips blue from the cold. 

I stay silent,
As I understand why the boy stopped walking. 
He had died, 
Alone. 

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:54 pm
Pencil2paper wrote a review...

That was fantastic! I love the mystery surrounding the boy and that you didn't explain why he was walking in the first place, at least not outright, so there is even more of a mysterious air about him. I also really liked the ending. I think it was the perfect ending for the story, the only one that really makes sense in context of the story in my opinion. I have to say that this was a great story and I have no criticms.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:48 pm
whitewolfpuppy wrote a review...

Hey there! I'll be reviewing your wonderful piece of work! :3

Alright, I have to say that you have a lot of emotions within this poem! I am loving it already! You have a great ending, considering that fact that we are in December! I just love it! You have a unique style, I like how you word your verses to were they flow into each other kind of like a story would. I am liking it!

A few things that you can change would be, describing what is going on a little better with a setting. I think that most of the boy that you are referring to is let up to the reader's imagination. Which is nice, but I would give the boy some detail to prove that he is actually a part of the story and not just words. Possibly give off the colour of the boy's hair, maybe how tall he is, what colour his skin is, or even his eye color since you talk about the snow hitting his eyelashes.

"His face drained of color, lips blue from the cold.

I stay silent,
He had died,
Alone. "

This right here is a wonderful ending, you have great detail on what happened to the boy. As you tell us, the boy's lips have turned blue. That is a great detail that the reader can use, as well as his face turning pale, to know that the boy had died. You are doing very well, I'm glad I can read such a piece.

Closing comments
Personally I would just add a bit more detail, well not detail but be specific within the poem just a bit. It will actually give the reader a better viewing of what they are reading and how they are supposed to feel. (In my opinion) All I really have to say is, you did a wonderful job! I can't wait to read some more of your work! Send me a shout out if you can remember, I'd love to review some more! Thank you so much, have a wonderful day!

~Whitewolfpuppy :3

Thank you so much, dear <3

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 pm
Arcticus wrote a review...

A freezing cold poem. Yeah, perfect time to post it here (December) ;)
First of all, you've written nicely and it shows. Nice use of words throughout the poem.
But I sensed wrong use of tenses, I may be wrong but

He walks by my window everyday,
But he never sees me.
One day I follow him.

The third line doesn't seem right to me. Also,

He didn't walk by my window.
He didn't walk by the park.
The boy didn't walk.

He didn't the next day.
Or the day after that.
Or any day since.
So I decide to walk , and see if I can find him.

I guess it should be 'so I decided to walk' because you're talking about the past, that is 'Monday of the last week'

I'm really not the type to uselessly nitpick. Everyone makes silly mistakes, I'm just trying to help out a bit. You've a good poem over here and a bit of grammar-fixing will take it to the next level.

Keep writing
shoaib

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:20 pm
BenjaminMichael says...

I don't have anything to add that StoryWeaver didn't already. Really, I'm only commenting to tell you how much I loved this.

Keep it up.

Thank you :)

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:58 pm
StoryWeaver13 wrote a review...

Hey, here to review! :D

"Sometimes he walks alone,
Is music playing to[[o]] loudly in his mind?
Are his thoughts racing to[[o]] fast?"

So, I have mixed emotions about this stanza...as your first, it is (along with the last) your most important, and I feel like it's close to having a decent hook, but then you just kind of lose it with the questions. I would put them in a way that's kind of wondering, but not in the form of a question. Example: "Sometimes I wonder if the music plays too loudly in his mind,/ or if his thoughts just race too fast."

This is merely a matter of opinion, but I felt as though it lost some of its impact.

"I wonder where he goes,
That boy that [[not "that," who]] walks alone.
I watch the leaves crumble beneath his feet, [[get rid of the comma]]
And the wind sweep through his dark hair." [[get rid of "dark," it's unnecessary]]

Conceptually, I thought this was really interesting. In fact, I like it quite a lot, and the straightforward style, the way it steadily climaxes, works really well. You switch from present to past tense, so fix that, clean this up a bit, and you'll have a grade-A poem.

Just out of curiosity, though, what's the story behind this? Did he die from the cold? Did he do it intentionally? Am I too dense to have picked up on context clues? I feel as though I don't know whether or not his death was intentional.

Anyway, keep writing!

Basically he didn't have a place to go and died, not on purpose. But thank you so much this helped a lot :)

“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly