Language

Author’s note: Why I give up writing short horror stories

by BeingRivy

I give up writing short horror stories. I permanently deleted the “short horror stories” to tell you why I give up writing horror. The reason why I don’t want to do short stories that are in the genre of horror, is because I’m lost. I’m trying to search inside why I don’t like horror and decided to do comedy instead, but it’s no use. I tried to find stories I like in books by authors and writers, but it found nothing I liked in these books. I want to do comedy and lighthearted stories, but it won’t work because anything I like is dark-comedy based and have horror in it too. Please help me, and believe me. Just tell me how to stop writing failures and become a better person and a writer in the process.

Please hope you read my message, because I give up very easily and people kick me out before they read and respond what I want. Whatever you do, please like me again. How can I be better based on this advice shown in the image below. The writer is by Jonathan Auxier, and he’s the only responder that listened, but I hate reading those books because they have nothing that I wanted by genre: comedy, dark-comedy, fantasy, and they have to be in standalone/short story or comic form or else they will never work. 

No one likes my twitter site, no one likes my discord, no one likes anything I have. If you have twitter or discord please chat by PM now: https://twitter.com/welcometothedr

Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:29 pm
BeingRivy says...

Please give me a message! This is not a joke! Please give me a message! AND EVERYONE'S RIGHT! I'M JJUST STUPID. GO AWAY!!!!

Fishr says...

Rivy, do not tag me anymore.

BeingRivy says...

Good bye. And I%u2019m not trying to make fun of people

Fishr says...

If you would like, I can do a review. The review would be constructive but harsh. (And probably long). If you cannot handle constructive criticism, then I will admire from afar.

BeingRivy says...

Sure do you want to chat by pm more? I%u2019m so sorry I replied late. From, BeingRivy.

Fishr says...

Oh no problem. I will do whichever you would like to do. %uD83D%uDE0A

BeingRivy says...

Hi there. Fishr what%u2019s your email??? %uD83D%uDCE7 %uD83D%uDCE7 %uD83D%uDCE7 sivy56080@gmail.com. From, @BeingRivy

Fishr says...

My personal information is for my family only. So, I do not give out this information to persons I do not know and have never met.

BeingRivy says...

@Fishr I command to do a review for me here. I don%u2019t mind the harsh critique

Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:44 pm
stygianmoon17 wrote a review...

Hey there, @BeingRivy, here for a review :)

I think this story really holds up together, there's only this one thing that needs a bit more effort.
Your characters.

For a start, a lot of their actions are questionable. Like when the girl in the first story sees a book made out of literal human skin, and her reaction is to open the book. Any normal human would've been shocked, disgusted, and probably would've been too scared to open it.

I also felt like the characters could have a bit more unique personalities,
The best way to make them stand out more is to
- give them flaws
- give them unique personalities (not just "the angry one," "the shy one,"...)
- also give them talents, skills, and things they're good at
It's really hard at first, but you'll get used to it. Otherwise, you can always base a character's personality on someone you know. Like make your main character a copy of your best friend, or your fav celebrity.

Apart from this really slight thing, i feel like for a small project, the story was really good! I read it fully and i really loved the idea ! Keep writing you've clearly got a talent at this !

BeingRivy says...

Hi @stygianmoon17 thank you so much. But how can I make the character%u2019s reactions in my story natural and better? I mean I%u2019m making my story better, but it needs some work without the internet and I%u2019m scared to write it down. Also I need lots of help with reading a good story and understanding the characters better, whether it%u2019s a movie or a story book.
Also what do you mean by unique personalities? Can you be more specific?

It%u2019s hard to make a personality for my characters in my story original. Now this time for the boy (Abbott) I want him to believe in science and magic, And the girl Abbot likes (Jackie), to be his friend and Abbott has almost no friends in the story, based on my friend that has more friends than me. And I%u2019m his only friend at school that I know. The mime in Abbott%u2019s nightmares is now a reminder to Abbott that he has to be himself and stop changing and controlling others and other people. And that the magic spells in the spellbook he uses is not just a spell, the spell will take away something from him. And since Abbott%u2019s a almost dull person, He doesn%u2019t understand other people and jumps to conclusions but since I don%u2019t know other%u2019s reactions I%u2019m horrible at understanding now to make characters actions unquestionable and make everything happen for a reason. And I%u2019m bad at that. What can I do?
Also it%u2019s hard to figure out a good plot line between two characters and a good story for the two characters and other people.
Also thank you for saying my story is good. I appreciate your review. From, @BeingRivy.

Hey there, I'm not a great writer or anything so take this with a grain of salt, but for the unique personalities part- I meant to make your characters stand out.
Don't write a personality people have seen a billion times (depressed emo kid, bully, nerd..) basically, if you can sum up your character in one word, then you probably didn't develop their personality very well.
Hope this helps !

Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:52 am
Gale Dracworn wrote a review...

To help with detail, think about the five senses. What is the character seeing, what are they feeling, what are they hearing, what are they tasting, what are they smelling. All these things added together will make a more immersive story for the reader. To add suspense, cut out unnecessary words in sentences, like um, and, but, etc. Cut down on words that aren't useful. A lot of newbie writers will just add a lot of words just for word count or because they don't know which ones to get rid of, just think about it. If you want people to feel dread, you either need an extremely visceral description that elicits said reaction, or the reader to develop a bond with the character, therefore feeling dread at the thought of harm coming to them.
definitely work .on dialogue and making it sound more realistic.
Horror is dependent on tension and release. You need to have build up, tension, release, more tension, etc. You can't have constant tension or else people will become desensitized.

Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:10 pm

Hi BeingRivy,

As requested I´m here to give some feedback to your stories, just keep in mind, that I won´t always do this.

What I noticed in the first story is that a lot is missing. I think you have a good basic idea, but I would think that this is only the first summary of the story and I would also say that there will be much more to see and read once it is a real manuscript of a short story.

In horror stories it is definitely important to grab the reader. You have to develop a fear and dread in the reader when something unknown is in front of them and make them think. For the most part, however, you can only do that if you don't talk about something directly. Show it and you will succeed in building up tension. Describe it with your emotions and feelings. Put yourself in the role of the protagonist. What do you smell, what do you hear, what do you think? If you start to describe something with these instincts, you will definitely succeed in leaving a lasting impression. Don't give everything away, so that there are still some points left open at the end! This way you will definitely create a more exciting picture.

Apart from some spelling mistakes, I would also try to work on the grammar, but I think you should put your focus more in the direction of concentrating on the structure to get the points mentioned above.

I see that you used a different style in the second story, but fell back into the original motif. The important thing is to show rather than describe. Keep information away and maybe start the story with a bit more tension by putting the characters right into a situation that is not quite understandable. This also brings the characters closer to the reader if there is a build-up that happens as the story progresses.

I would advise you to keep writing and to remember where you started and to keep developing from there. It's also very important to give yourself points about what you want in a story and what the "horror" or "mystery" is. You won't be able to prescribe a success overnight, but over the course of many hours where you thought you weren't getting anywhere. It is important that you never give up and:

- Make an outline of what should be included in the story.
- Try to think about what exactly the characters are thinking and saying.
- Describe, but try to keep it minimalistic.
- Possibly stick to an open ending that gives the reader the opportunity to think for themselves about what might happen next.
- Always work on that and don't give up writing.

I can't wait to see what else comes from your pen and I think I'll be watching closely.

BeingRivy says...

Hi ,
It%u2019s BeingRivy and I%u2019m glad you are here! Please read this private message immediately and make this message with more words!
I%u2019m making an announcement: I will now only write messages on Fridays, Saturdays,and Sundays, because my school told me that if I keep going to this site at school I will lose my privilege at the computer. I%u2019m about to give up, because can never survive without the computer. I%u2019m scared to let you down! I%u2019m so sorry I never said this.
I wrote 2 short horror stories and I failed. Because of those comment reviews, I will never write another story because I%u2019m scared of what reviews they are going to give me. I know they are trying to help me but I have no idea what each review is talking about. Which is making me give up on my projects all together. I need your help and I want you to read both my short stories and review it:

https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/BeingRivy/Two-short-horror-stories-that-I-hated-and-need-to-work-on-153016

Here are what the two main short stories are going to be about:
The first short story called %u201CMime and boy story (no title yet)%u201D is about a boy who wants to make more friends, but he doesn%u2019t want to enjoy life, and knows that school is a crucial but boring place and that there is no escape to school, because even though school is nice it gives him too much homework and he wants to be a big kid, not a baby victim. Meanwhile he also had a dream about a mime and he gets a spellbook and tries to make a spell to make the school better, but he is turned to a ragdoll in the process the moment he used the spellbook. He tries to turn back to normal, but ends up at the hospital with his friend.
The second story is about a girl who has a father and he used to be a man who used to live in a scary place called hell and the father of the girl is trying to get away from hell, because he is a nice person, and he was reported missing from hell.

Here are the things I need help on and need to teach me on specifically:
- How can I ever do enough details and elaborating in my story? I%u2019m scared of elaborating the wrong way. And I%u2019m not doing it right enough.
- What is really the structure of a short story? Are these short stories structured like the paragraphs I learn at school? Because I suck at short stories, and I don%u2019t understand how a good short story is made of, and I%u2019m lame at paragraphs in short stories
- I%u2019m the worst at every ending I make with my short story and once I tried and I failed. I made the worst example.
- There%u2019s one person called @MailicedeNamedy that said: %u201CIf you start to describe something with these instincts, you will definitely succeed in leaving a lasting impression. Don't give everything away, so that there are still some points left open at the end! This way you will definitely create a more exciting picture.%u201D I don%u2019t understand this. what does he mean by this and how do I do it?
- Another person (@Ichthys) said this: %u201CPerhaps you could consider writing on paper. I always have trouble writing when I am using a computer and also end up staring at the screen. Writing with other people also helps, especially since they can support you and hold you accountable. Another thing I have to say is, don't force it. A good story should grow on its own and develop logically within its own world. Don't try too much to be like other authors either. You can take inspiration from them, but it's never good to imitate too closely. Thank you for posting your stories.%u201D I don%u2019t understand this and what do she mean by this comment?
- Another person called @Plume said this to me and I need help understanding this message: %u201CIn terms of writing horror, I think one of the best things you can do is establish a norm, and then deviate and pervert that norm to the extreme while withholding just enough information from the readers. In your mime story, I felt like so much happened in a really short amount of time. If you took time to establish the main character's life, then his usage of the spellbook increasing with some strange side effects, and then introduced the mime in his room, I think that would be a better structured horror story. I think by slowing it down, it would improve the pacing and by proxy, other story aspects.%u201D I don%u2019t get this. What does she mean and how can I follow this advice?
- How do make everyone happy with the story I make? I%u2019m going to give up on writing soon because my stories are failures, and because of that and my bad behaviors with my teachers, I will never write again. But I will only journal and the only way to journal is to push myself very hard so that it%u2019s to the point where I give up. What can I do with my journal and how can I be a good story writer? Any ideas, tips,exercises,and advice? I don%u2019t like the sprint ones.
- How do I describe the settings properly in my story and how do I ever write down the events of each story properly without making them AKWARD like you did with your %u201CLife of An Elf%u201D Story? Tell me the secret, because after all, you made that story. And you are better than me at everything in this site. Tell me everything.
In conclusion how can I EVER be a better storyteller, any ideas and tips? And if you don%u2019t give me advice I%u2019ll quit on every dream I have! And I%u2019ll push myself to do bad stuff even harder.
Thank you and please send me a reply that%u2019s longer than your first reply.
From, @BeingRivy.

Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:05 am
Ichthys wrote a review...

First Story:

Your characters need to begin their journey without a clue of what happens next. When you start a horror story with the narrator describing what will occur throughout the plot, the horror seems forced and bland. Try describing the normal, not what won't be normal later. What colour are the bedsheets, the curtains, the paint on the walls? Where is the window in position to the bed? Is there a desk, is there a closet? Elaborate about this rocking chair. A note on that - the character knows there is something odd about it before even sitting up or getting out of bed. How? Does something catch his eye from his peripheral vision, does he sleep on his side, is the rocking chair rocking? The narrator also seems to be expecting this book, but why? You also changed tense partway through this first paragraph, so you should probably change it to be more consistent.

A few technical errors in the next few paragraphs. 'Fairy tale' is spelled with a stray 'l.' When your characters think, italicizing the thought itself is standard and clarifying. You forgot the word 'have' before 'seen.' The title of a book should always be properly capitalised and underscored/italicized, and words which are not the first within a sentence and not proper nouns are not to be capitalised unless for emphasis in an informal work. There are more throughout the rest of the text, but I will refrain from identifying each one to save time and space. The grimoire is described, but not very well, and splitting the description into multiple paragraphs was not necessary for the amount of text used and ideas expressed. The dream relating to it is not described at all, and appears to be a short bit of text with no purpose, plotwise.

School is not described sufficiently, but science class is described in too much detail, so you may want to find a middle ground between the two. The dialogue between Abbot and Jackie seems forced, and their personalities are not expressed well through their conversation. They speak a bit formally and directly state facts they should already know about each other. Suddenly, strong emotion is thrust into the narrative, but it disappears just as quickly. Abbot must be extremely dependent on Jackie despite speaking of and acting towards her so impatiently. The rhyming spell had no rythym, and the details regarding it are awkward and random.

The dream is, once again, not described in enough detail. Abbot seemingly awakens, but this is not mentioned at all. The lighter should have a background, as it is suddenly introduced. Does Abbot carry a lighter around to the point of sleeping with it nearby? Why, and since when? The mime is also introduced in such a manner, and Abbot suddenly dies for no apparent reason. Where does the mime come from? Is it/he related to the spellbook? Why does Abbot die? How? How do the first dream and Jackie play in? Was Jackie just another reason school was awful? Was the whole thing about science really necessary? There are so many plot lines left dangling that the ending isn't at all satisfying.

Second Story:

You should have made more of a distinction between where the two stories end and begin, because it is confusing. This story is very incomplete, and therefore hard to work with. It has many grammatical errors like the first story, but the descriptions are more complete; they could still be more polished. The plot appears more developed, but what you have posted is lacking most of it. Next time please post a full story, as there really is not much one can help with when given so little material.

A Note:

Perhaps you could consider writing on paper. I always have trouble writing when I am using a computer and also end up staring at the screen. Writing with other people also helps, especially since they can support you and hold you accountable. Another thing I have to say is, don't force it. A good story should grow on its own and develop logically within its own world. Don't try too much to be like other authors either. You can take inspiration from them, but it's never good to imitate too closely. Thank you for posting your stories.

BeingRivy says...

Hi ,

From, @BeingRivy.

Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:43 am
Plume wrote a review...

Hey there! Plume here, with a review!!

I got the message you left on my profile about this piece! Here's a hot tip: I noticed you leaving the same comments on other people's walls; you can simply post a link to it to your own wall and then tag everyone who you want to read it, like a lot of people do with novel chapters. Generally, it's polite to ask people if they want to be tagged to, and make the option open for people to remove themselves from the tag list. But tag lists are useful because you only have to make one comment!

I think these were promising starts!! I'm intrigued by that last one especially; it seems like a story about some sort of alien having a child? I think it has the potential to be really sweet and funny, especially if they go on all sorts of misadventures. I think that familial love is an underused trope, and I really loved to see the premonitions of it sprouting in your work! Nice job!

One thing I do think you could work on is finishing stories. It's kind of hard to give pointers on stories as a whole, especially horror stories, if they aren't finished. I think these were promising starts, but finishing stories (even if the ending isn't the best) is a good way to get that feeling of finality, and it can also spur more thoughts about what could happen.

I also thought your writing style was a bit more telling rather than showing. I felt like I couldn't relate to your characters very well, since your narration was very cut and dry. I think focusing on emotions and channeling those into your story would help flesh out the characters a bit more. Like rather than telling us the main character in the first story likes science, show us him in science class answering a question right and his pride at succeeding. Maybe contrast that to another moment in a different class at school that shows him doing not-so-well. But you should only include that information if it's going to be relevant. You went into a lot of detail about oxidation and such, but I couldn't really see that being relevant later on in the story. Only include details that are going to serve the story somehow. Of course, there's a little wiggle room on that, but I think if you're going into detail, you should make sure it's important.

In terms of writing horror, I think one of the best things you can do is establish a norm, and then deviate and pervert that norm to the extreme while withholding just enough information from the readers. In your mime story, I felt like so much happened in a really short amount of time. If you took time to establish the main character's life, then his usage of the spellbook increasing with some strange side effects, and then introduced the mime in his room, I think that would be a better structured horror story. I think by slowing it down, it would improve the pacing and by proxy, other story aspects.

“Everything seems normal on my side of the bed, Like everyday,especially near the end of April. No manifestation stuff or notes appear to be on my bed. except for something feels weird on my rocking chair where my old teddy bear lives. I woke up, and lifted my half of my body up. Then I noticed something that shocked me a little. It was here.

In this first paragraph, you've got some tense inconsistencies. You start in the present tense, but then shift to past tense. Since a majority of the story was in past tense, I'd change the first part.

Then It hit me that I had a weird dream relatable to the spellbook...

I think "relatable" should be "related."

Overall: nice work!! I think these are good starts, but there're a few aspects to improve upon. I look forward to seeing your improvements as you continue to post to this site, and I can't wait to read your next piece!! Until next time!!

BeingRivy says...

Hi ,

From, @BeingRivy.

Fishr says...

Disclaimer: First, do not paste and reply the same message. Also, do not demand that I read private messages and demand replying with %u2018more words.%u2019 I%u2019m here to help, but you do not tell me what to do.

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/ho ... te-emotion

Emotion is bar none, the most difficult skill to master. For example, I recently edited a story of my own. After roughly five revisions, I was finally happy how emotion was depicted. It%u2019s tough but creative writing is its own art.

What about the chicken, Jack?
— David Letterman