z

Young Writers Society



The Charm of Deception - Chapter Two

by Shady


Aldik dropped his sword and ran to her side, sinking to his knees next to her. He gently rolled her onto her back and looked her over, concerned. “Rana, honey. I’m sorry. Are you okay? Speak to me, dear.”

Rana whimpered, forcing herself to take a breath. Suddenly the force of pain immobilizing her broke free, bringing a fresh wave of agony that stabbed through her side. A burning tingle crawled down to her hip and spread across her abdomen. She swallowed hard, blinking rapidly, trying to fight back the tears that pricked her eyes.

It felt like her body was on fire. It throbbed and sent an ache down her entire right side. She wet her lips, forcing herself to stay calm. She couldn’t allow herself to succumb to the pain. She had to keep fighting it.

“Rana,” Aldik said again, gently lifting her head and shoulders in his arms.

“Not dead,” Rana panted, still clutching her side. “Yet.”

“You’re not going to die,” Aldik said dismissively. He hesitated a moment, gently placing his hand over her own as she clutched her side. “I shouldn’t have hit you that hard. I didn’t realize it was you.”

“It’s okay,” Rana said weakly. “Equality is my thing.”

Wyl scoffed. “You’re crazy.”

“Maybe… I’m mostly sore.” She took a deep breath and gritted her teeth, then forced herself to sit upright. Aldik wrapped his arm around her gently and helped her up, letting her lean against him for support.

“So… can we agree to not tell your father about this?” Aldik asked.

Rana laughed, then stopped suddenly as a spasm of discomfort tore through her side. She grit her teeth. “Don’t worry. Telling my father is never a concern.”

“Yeah, usually we just have to agree about whether or not to tell you,” Jaerek said, smirking. “Guess we don’t have to worry about that this time.”

Aldik rubbed his face tiredly. Often, he stumbled across Jaerek and Rana just after they’d done something stupid they were trying to keep from him. Sometimes Wyl would be with them, if he was visiting and managed to get dragged into their schemes. But Aldik wasn’t usually part of the mischief that needed kept from their fathers.

“It’s okay,” Wyl said, patting Aldik’s back. “It doesn’t take long to get used to lying to our fathers. Mine is the only smart one of the lot, and he usually doesn’t remember that I exist. You probably won’t have to say anything at all.”

“Yeah, as long as Rana can fake it, they’ll never know.” Jaerek said.

“I’m going to try.” Rana nodded. “The corset is going to be dreadful.”

“Aren’t corsets always dreadful?” Wyl questioned.

“I imagine this will make it worse than they usually are.” Rana was silent for a moment, then looked towards Aldik. “Can I go back to my room? I would like to lie down before the dance tonight.”

“Of course,” Aldik said, standing. “Let me help you.”

Aldik’s voice was deep and commanding, even when he was being kind. It sounded like an order, and she obediently wrapped her arm around his abdomen. Rana walked slowly but deliberately, disgusted at how often she needed to rest even though Aldik assured her that it was wise to take it slow. It felt like an eternity passed before they reached her room.

Rana walked across the room and awkwardly pulled her tunic off, whimpering despite herself at the pain that shot up her side. She hated herself for not being stronger. Rana kicked her trousers off and flopped on her bed, thankful she’d put on an undershirt and some undershorts before sparring. She didn’t want to get her bed dirty with her soiled clothes.

“I want to have a look,” Aldik said, helping her get comfortable on the bed.

Rana hesitated a moment, then nodded reluctantly. She wasn’t surprised. He’d been a soldier for more years than she’d been alive and was very skilled at rehabilitating his own soldiers when they were injured. She was sure that he’d be able to help, but still didn’t want to let him see the ugly that laid below her clothes.

Father made a point of making sure that she knew how disgusting her figure was, compared to the other girls of the court. Where they were thin and graceful, she was heavy set and clumsy. She did her best to keep anyone else from realizing how badly she looked, wishing she could find a way to be thin like the other girls.

Rana pulled her tunic up, doing her best to suck her stomach towards her spine. She slowly let the stomach back out, cringing as the motion hurt her side even worse. She sighed as she looked down at her fatty abdomen, complete with rolls and stretch marks from her excess weight. She liked to keep it covered.

Aldik didn’t seem to notice. He knelt next to her bed and closely examined the ribs. The skin was already covered with an ever-growing dark splotch. He carefully touched the bruise, making her inhale sharply. He cringed and pulled his hand away.

“Well… good news is, I don’t think anything is broken.”

“That is good news,” Rana agreed, trying to be positive. She weakly attempted a smile, doing her best to ignore the pain that screamed at her subconscious. “I won’t have to fake for long.”

“You shouldn’t have to at all,” Aldik answered, pulling her tunic down again. He carefully spread a blanket across her and tucked her in with a tenderness that she didn’t know he had. He looked at her for a long moment, guilt still clouding his brow.

“It’s okay, Aldik,” Rana said, trying to take the blame. “Really. I’ll be fine.”

He bowed slightly, still unconvinced. “Rest well.”

Rana watched him leave, then lay in sweet silence for nearly an hour. She would’ve rather been in the woods practicing her swordsmanship with her friends, but she appreciated the chance to rest. She was already tired from her day in the sun, and the pain in her side was zapping the little energy she had left.

Much too soon her attendant came into the room. She regarded Rana silently for a moment, then walked to the window and opened the curtains. Light flooded into the room, blinding Rana and making her sigh. “In bed at this hour, miss?”

Rana looked at her sullenly. Her attendant was one of the few people who was actually on her side. Most of the manor’s servants would run straight to Father to tattle on her. Not Itani. They’d grown up together and were the closest thing to friends that a lord’s daughter and a servant girl were allowed to be.

“Not feeling well, miss?”

“You could say that,” Rana agreed.

“And what did you do to get yourself feeling unwell, mm?” she asked, leaning down to pluck a leaf out of Rana’s hair. She glanced at the pile of dirty clothes next to the bed. “Fall out of a tree again?”

“That wasn’t my fault!” Rana defended. If Father hadn’t caught her and started yelling, she never would’ve lost her focus; and if she hadn’t lost her focus, she wouldn’t have fallen. That sprained ankle was entirely on him, whether he’d admit it or not.

“Mm, sure it wasn’t, miss,” she answered with a smile. “Come on. Up you get!”

“Do I have to?” Rana whined. She pouted at the nod she received. “But—”

“No buts,” Itani said firmly. “You’ve a dance to get ready for.”

Rana reluctantly rolled out of bed, cringing as a spasm of pain shot through her side. She plopped down in the chair in front of her vanity and silently watched Itani in the mirror. It was strange how much could change in a few short years.

When Itani came to live with her family, she was only eight and Rana was five. They’d instantly become best friends, until Father noticed the camaraderie and began disciplining Rana for being so familiar with a servant girl. Neither of them understood why. They liked each other and that was all that mattered.

As she watched her in the mirror now, Rana realized they’d grown into complete opposites. They were still secretly friends, and Rana trusted her with more than she trusted anyone else except for maybe Jae and Wyl. But their physical differences were only accentuated as they grew.

Where Rana was short and stocky, Itani was tall and lithe. Where Rana’s skin was so pale it hurt her eyes to look at it when she was in direct sunlight, Itani’s was a rich chocolate brown. And where Rana was awkward and rushed in her movements, Itani was always poised and confident. If either of them had the grace or beauty to be a lord’s daughter, Rana thought it would be Itani.

“So, what exactly did you do, miss?” Itani questioned, as she began running a comb through the wild knot of blond atop Rana’s head.

“I was, um…” Rana hesitated. “Playing” felt like it was too juvenile a word. Fifteen was much too old to be “playing” with one’s friends. But she certainly couldn’t say what they were actually doing. “Socializing with the princes.”

“Socializing? Ah, I see,” Itani said flatly, knowing fully well that they’d been doing something they probably shouldn’t have been. “And which prince was it that rubbed your nose in the dirt for you?”

“Wyl… Uh, Prince Blaylock,” Rana corrected. “And Lord Munen…”

“Ah, so he joined in your mischief this time,” Itani said good-naturedly. “But you mean to say that you let him beat you?”

“Something like that,” Rana agreed with a smirk. They both knew fully well that Rana would never beat Aldik. He was much too fast and strong and knew so much more than she did.

“I see,” Itani said, grinning at her in the mirror. “Well, you need a bath, miss.”

“Yeah…” Rana stood up and cast a sideward glance towards the small tub in the corner of the room. She usually liked baths, but this one would be painful with her side. Still, it only took a glance at the mirror to see that Itani was right. “Very well.”

She stepped towards the tub. There was no fire going in her room to heat the water. She didn’t like cold baths, but that’s what she usually ended up getting when Itani decided she needed a bath at the last moment.

There was a soft knock at the door.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
141 Reviews


Points: 34531
Reviews: 141

Donate
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:55 am
View Likes
Hattable wrote a review...



Hi! Back again.

Gonna dive right in, but I will say real quick that I'm enjoying this story so far!

But Aldik wasn’t usually part of the mischief that needed kept from their fathers.

I'm not sure if you mistakenly left a word out here or not, but I think “needed be kept” would read better here.

It felt like an eternity passed before they reached her room.

This is rather nit-picky, but “It felt like an eternity had passed” might sound better. As it is, the tense is vaguely confusing and dodgy through this sentence, to be at least. You might find the same issue on a reread, or I could just be reading it weirdly on my own-- but I point it out just in case!

Rana walked across the room and awkwardly pulled her tunic off, whimpering despite herself at the pain that shot up her side. She hated herself for not being stronger. Rana kicked her trousers off and flopped on her bed,

I feel that the second use of her name could be swapped out for “She” instead. Since she's the only one in this scene (or, even if Aldik or one of the other boys were there, she's the only girl) it's not entirely necessary to name her specifically again. The first mention is perfectly fine, even necessary, but the second one not so much.

Uhhh, continuing the paragraph I can see why you may have used her name again, to avoid too many instances of “she”, but I still recommend the change because using her name twice so close without a shift in scene or perspective is weird.

Oh, cool-o on having a,,, more plus-size character? I dunno if that's quite the right wording and I hope my phrasing isn't insensitive! But that's definitely cool that your MC isn't a super skinny “ideal” figure. Props for that--

Also, forgot to say this in the last review, but I really like Aldik's character. He's a war lord, so you tell us, but he's really caring? And seems gentle when he needs to be. And even his insults seem only to be a way to get the kids going and keep them motivated? In that odd sort of way. It's good, good character, I hope he doesn't do anything to disappoint me or make me hate him.

Honestly-- I dunno if you've watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (probably not, oh here I go sounding like a WEEB), but Aldik reminds me of Major Armstrong from that, kinda. This big tough, foreboding guy who's actually a big softy and cares deeply for the main characters. Only, vaguely in another character's image, even though it's not quite how you described him physically. My brain doesn't like to stick to character descriptions when I read, lel

But yeah, good character, nice work.

Moving back to grammar stuff:

They were still secretly friends, and Rana trusted her with more than she trusted anyone else except for maybe Jae and Wyl.

I'd recommend a comma after “anyone else”, 'cause as it is, it reads like it's almost bordering on rambling?

Where Rana’s skin was so pale it hurt her eyes to look at it when she was in direct sunlight, Itani’s was a rich chocolate brown.

I can relate with Rana's complexion, dang, I'm whiter than paper. But, uh, Itani's skin being compared to chocolate is a bit uncomfortable. I've learned that likening a person's skin to a food isn't exactly appropriate and it can be seen as a fetishization of sorts.
This isn't exactly a ”legit source”, but it's what my friend shared with me when I asked a question regarding skin/food comparisons: http://writingwithcolor.tumblr.com/post ... ed-several
It's a helpful read and helps shows POC's perspective of this type of description. Hopefully you find it useful!

If either of them had the grace or beauty to be a lord’s daughter, Rana thought it would be Itani.

This would probably be best worded as “thought it was Itani”, since she does appear to have that grace and beauty, in Rana's eyes, whereas “would” implies it's a hypothetical situation of Itani being so suited. Uhh, like, you've laid it out as though Itani does fit the criteria, but then “would” sounds like she doesn't and Rana is imagining a world in which Itani does, y'know? Not exactly like that but I'm not sure quite how to articulate it, whoops-- If you've got any questions about this, or anything else, feel free to message me!

Itani questioned, as she began running a comb through the wild knot of blond atop Rana’s head.

So, this doesn't happen with a lot of English words, but “blond”, when talking about hair, is usually in reference to a male person/creature, and “blonde” with an E is in reference to female. By that ruling, this should be “knot of blonde atop Rana's head”. Small thing and maybe borderline nit-picky, but that's English for ya--

“I was, um…” Rana hesitated. “Playing” felt like it was too juvenile a word. Fifteen was much too old to be “playing” with one’s friends. But she certainly couldn’t say what they were actually doing.

The quotation marks here around “playing” feel like Rana is saying that, before we realize she isn't. Maybe go for single-quotation marks? 'Playing'. Or put the word in italics without any quotations. Either of these solutions should work and help weed out any potential confusion!

I don't really see the purpose of keeping that she was sparring a secret from Itani, considering you mentioned how much she trusts the girl? I get the wariness, were it common that eavesdroppers hung nearby, but that isn't stated or implied, so it just seems like needless lying? Itani seems to know the truth anyway, and Rana seems to know that Itani knows, so the whole lying business feels largely unnecessary.

Also, servants typically help their masters bathe, so Itani would end up seeing the bruise Aldik left, which would lead Rana's lying into a whole 'nother pot of boiling water, so it makes the lie a bit more problematic.

As for the last line:
There was a soft knock at the door.

It feels disconnected from the rest of the story. Maybe slap a “Then” at the start, so it isn't so abrupt and dangling there on its own, but rather stretches out from the scene, in a way? Weird metaphors, or whatever, but yee--

And that's all for grammar.

I know I interjected a couple times to mention content stuff, or character stuff, so here I'll just say that the pacing was good, once again. Flow, also good. Pacing and flow are definitely different things. As for opening/closing, this chapter had a good dropping-off point, but where it picks up feels directly connected to the previous chapter. While chapters are continuations of one another, I think they're also meant to stand on their own feet in a way? So starting this one off with
Aldik dropped his sword and ran to her side,

Doesn't really set us up that great for the chapter standing as its own portion of the story. I know this is the first line and I'm mentioning it at the end of the review, but ahh-- I'd suggest naming Rana instead of saying “she” there.


But yeah, nice work! I hope this was helpful. If you've got any questions, feel free to message me!

-Hatt




Shady says...


Thanks for the review!

Yeah, Rana's more plus-sized. Not like morbidly obese and she's still pretty active (with the sparring and everything) but also not the extremely thin, fit sort of character that a lot of female leads tend to be. I'm glad you like it ^-^


The website you linked is interesting. It never even crossed my mind that the description might be offensive -- and honestly I'm struggling a bit to think of another way to describe the gorgeous super dark brown skin Itani has. But it's pretty clear from the website that that POC at least finds it an offensive description, so I'll definitely change it. The point of the description was to show how much better Rana thinks Itani is than she is herself, not to cause offense. Good resource to have ^^

I do have a couple more questions about how to be sure the relationship between Rana and Itani doesn't become offensive, so I'll shoot you a PM.

Thanks so much for the review! You brought up some good points and I'll definitely work on editing the chapter accordingly.



Hattable says...


!! No problem!

And yeah, I didn't bring up the skin thing to call ya out on offense - more just a warning before ya got caught by anyone who might be real mean about it, lel. I only learned it wasn't great myself, recently, and it's still prominent in writing with people not really realizing, so no biggie. But ya, a good resource and a good thing to be aware of.

I'd suggest a substitute description of Itani's skin, but I can't really come up with one, so oops-- D: Hopefully you figure something out, though! And yeah, I'll be awaiting those questions, then, lel



Shady says...


Hehe right, I appreciate it :) I spent last fall in Bangkok, Thailand -- and learned how incredibly easy it is to offend people of other backgrounds when you 100% don't mean to cause offense. I'm still learning to be sensitive to those sorts of things, so I appreciate the warning ^-^



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 am
View Likes
Panikos wrote a review...



Hi, ShadowVyper! I reviewed chapter one of this a while back, so I might have forgotten a few things since then, but I thought I'd drop in and critique this seeing as it's been kicking around in the Green Room for a while. I'm going to freewheel this review more than the last one and just comment on things as I read. Let's go!

Suddenly the force of pain immobilizing her broke free, bringing a fresh wave of agony as she panted shallowly.


Can you be a bit more specific about where the agony is and what it feels like? I'd assume it's in her chest if that's where she was hit, but is it sharp or dull or throbbing? I just feel like this description is rather vague.

Rana laughed, then stopped suddenly as it sent a sharp pain up her side.


Don't forget the descriptive power of verbs. If rain falls, patters or lashes the ground, we get a different image all thanks to the verb choice. 'Sent' gets the job done here, but it doesn't really create a powerful image. If pain cracked or sliced or tore through her side, the description would be evocative without needing the assistance of an adjective.

“Yeah, as long as Rana can fake it, they’ll never know.” Jae said.

“I’m going to try,” Rana said, nodding. “The corset is going to be dreadful.”


Oh, man, I didn't even think about that. Poor girl.

She sighed as she looked down at her abdomen, with its rolls and stretch marks. She liked to keep it covered


I quite like that you introduce this small element of insecurity. It makes Rana feel a lot more real, a lot more like a girl of her age would be.

He carefully spread a blanket across her and tucked her in with a fatherly tenderness that she didn’t know he had.

Aldik had always cared for her, but always seemed like more of a rough uncle than an affectionate father. He showed his love by teaching her better fighting techniques so that she’d be able to take care of herself. And by giving her life advice for when she was older. But as he gently slid the blanket around her shoulders, she couldn’t help but wonder if he’d be a better father than her own.

Father would certainly bellow and probably hit her, if he knew that she’d gotten hurt sparring. But instead of lecturing her about how a proper lady never would have joined in their sparring match in the first place, Aldik just wanted to make her feel better. She appreciated the effort.


I feel like this is a bit too expository for me. Rather than telling us that Aldik is fatherly, just show him behaving in a fatherly way and let us form our own opinions of him. Likewise, I'd like to learn about Rana's father myself when he's introduced rather than being told too much about his personality beforehand.

There was a soft knock at the door.

Rana looked up in surprise and waited tensely as Itani moved towards the door, desperately hoping that it wouldn’t be Father. It was rarely a good thing when he felt the need to come to her room. Usually it meant he was angry, and she was going to suffer.


I feel like the last paragraph draws the end of the chapter out for too long. I'd probably prefer it if the chapter just ended with the knock at the door. That would be more simple and to the point, and would leave us with a minor cliffhanger that would add incentive to read on.

That's all for specific comments. This is definitely a better chapter than the first. It held my attention much better, especially towards the end when Itani was introduced. I still think you could be pacier at the beginning, because it feels like it takes a long time for Rana to even get to her feet and get back to her room, and relatively little of interest happens in that series of events. However, once she's actually back in her room, it does get more interesting. I'd be intrigued to see how the juxtaposition between Aldik and Rana's father develops - though, like I said before, try not to be so expository about their differences.

The threat of cliché does still remain, but I warmed up to Rana a bit more in this chapter. She still strikes me very much as the over-compensating tomboy, but you show her vulnerability and her childishness in a more charming way here - I liked the bit where she talks about falling out of the tree.

Itani and Rana's relationship could be interesting too. It isn't free of tropes, because servant-and-master friendships are super common in fiction, but I hope you can handle it in an original way. It would be good if you delved into the inequality of their relationship at some point. Rana might see them as friends, but she still has so much power over Itani, and that's bound to take its toll on the older girl. There's bound to be some jealousy there, as well.

Still, this chapter was a lot more promising. I don't know if you're planning to post more, but I'll try and check it out any further instalments.

Hope this helped!

Keep writing! :D
~Pan




Shady says...


Thanks for the review! Sorry it took me sooooo long to respond; my internet has been on the fritz for a long time, and has only been reliable fairly recently. I do really appreciate this feedback, though, and went back to edit the first two chapters.

I wasn't sure if I'd post more or not, with how long this stayed in the Green Room, but if you'd be interested in reading them then I definitely will. Your feedback is quite helpful and I'll definitely take any help I can get :)

I'll let you know when I get the next bit up~



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:49 pm
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



Radrook here to provide feedback. No offense intended. If I offend anyway, my apologies. Certain typos are due to my lazy eye that makes me see two screens and two keyboards which makes eye hand coordination difficult. That being said here goes:

Thanks for sharing this second chapter where Rana is described as interacting with Aldic and her maid Itani. I was surprised to find out that Rana is a thirteen-year-old. I had assumed that she had been a full-grown woman, especially since she was engaging in that potentially dangerous practice session. So as a reader, I had to totally readjust the way I perceived Rana and had to start anew.

Aldic is introduced as her fatherly friend who provides her with advice and training tips. I cannot visualize how he looks because no description is provided. A brief description would be an improvement. You know, mention that he maybe has a thick, black, full beard. Or perhaps that this beard goes along with his bald head. That he gazes at her with deep blue, large, kind eyes? That his is exceptionally tall, stout, wiry, muscular? That he speaks in a voice similar to a growl? That he speaks slowly and in a deep bass voice? That he maybe whispers his words due to an injury to his throat suffered in combat?

Such details will come to mind later whenever he appears again. It only need be mentioned once and repeated occasionally. Otherwise we as readers see nobody when Aldic is mentioned. The same applies to all other characters that are introduced.

I noticed that the servant girl is depicted as having chocolate- colored skin while Rana is a light-skinned blond. This might come across as offensive to black readers who wonder why it can’t be the other way around. The white girl the servant while the brown skinned girl royalty. Please note that I really don’t care one way or the other. Just informing you that it should be expected that some readers might.

I know that it might be so, but I would not include the statement that Rana stinks. It somehow detracts from her charm. Please note that as a reader I immediately need to imagine exactly what odor the servant girl might be referring to and the olfactory imagery isn’t pleasant. So I would leave her perfumed. I would say simply that she should bathe to look proper.

I liked the way that these two characters were added. It brings a depth to the novel and promises adventure that involves loyalties and friendships. I also like that the father is described as unpleasant and a bit dictatorial. That forshadows possible conflicts that might arrive in the following chapters where his personality clashes with Rana’s and with all those who are her friends. Once more the chapter ends in a way that makes the reader want to know what comes next. That is excellent.

Suggestions

Please note that this chapter can be made much longer simply by describing the person’s involved and their surroundings.

How does the room look like exactly? How is the servant girl dressed? Where is she from? What kind of door? Where exactly is the room located? Is the room dark? Does it have a stone floor? Is it in a castle? The use of adjectives would greatly enhance the story by painting a clearer picture in the reader’s mind. True, the pace would be more leisurely, but that is OK and desirable when we write novels. We can accelerate and slow down as the circumstances demand. This particular circumstance allows for a slower pace.

BTW
Why would a thirteen year old girl have stretch marks? That indicates childbirth to most readers.





“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables