Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Science Fiction

18+ Language Violence Mature Content

Equivalent Worlds - Chapter Six

by ScarlettFire

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

For Tenyo's LMS contest. Word Count: 1645, approx.

Chapter Six

Seth glared at the wall directly opposite him, studiously ignoring the two men sitting on either side of him. He held onto the belts holding him in his seat for dear life as the shuttle shuddered again. Amerys had gone to answer a call, and he'd taken Samira with him. If the raised voices from the cockpit were anything to go by, that call was not going well--and neither was their little trip into space, judging by the way the shuttle shuddered and rattled.

"Where the hell are we going anyway?" he asked after several minutes. The two men on either side of him just looked at him. The one on his left snorted while the other one stayed quiet. "What? Something funny?"

The man on Seth's left made to rise, hands straying to his belts. Before the other man could even start unbuckling himself, there was a low cough and Amerys appeared in the doorway. "Teren, sit your ass down."

"Yes, sir."

Seth had a feeling they were speaking English for his benefit. He scowled in Amerys's direction. "What kind of kidnapping is this?" he demanded, feeling a lot calmer than he probably should be. It was an odd feeling, alien to his own--like someone had overridden his panic with unreasonable, unnatural calmness. He didn't like. "And why the hell do I feel so calm when I was panicking five minutes ago?"

Amerys looked guilty for all of five seconds before Samira pushed past him. "That's my doing," she said, approaching him. "Sorry, big brother...but I'm going to have to keep you like this until we're safely aboard the Thanatos."

"What?"

Samira gave him an unreadable look. "I'm manipulating your emotions to keep you calm," she said, letting out a long-suffering sigh. "You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?"

Seth stared at her blankly. What the hell did she mean by manipulating his emotions? He didn't like that idea, and found that even though his was angry and frustrated and still kinda scared, the unnatural calmness was like a blanket over everything. He tried to fight it, tried to push it away, but it just curled tighter around him. The concept was hard for him to grasp, hard for his human mind to comprehend. He struggled against it, to understand--but there was nothing he could do.

"Amerys," she said, turning to give the white-haired man a meaningful look--which Seth only just caught--before disappearing back into the cockpit. He could barely hear the rest of what she said as the shuttle shuddered again, rattling unnervingly, almost like it was going to fall apart at any moment. "You tell him."

The white-haired man sighed and strode into the room, stopping a few feet short of him. "I want you to listen carefully, Seth," he said, standing stiffly at attention with his hands behind his back. Their gazes met brieflt before Amerys looked away. "You're half alien. Kavian, to be exact. Your mother was human. Your father had her taken from Earth and brought her to Kavia." The other man hesitated and seemed to consider his words for a long moment, before he sighed and moved to crouch in front of Seth, one hand resting on his knee. "She became his consort, and then she had twins... You and Samira."

Seth frowned. "I...wasn't born on Earth?" he asked skeptically, giving the man an unreadable look. He honestly didn't know what to make of it. "And Samira really is my sister?"

"Yes, and yes," Amerys replied, and tightened his grip on Seth's knee. Seth eyed him warily, but the other man just appeared to be looking for something. Something he clearly didn't find because he slid the hand off Seth's knee a moment later. "I told you that Kavia is part of you--and you will discover what I mean soon enough. In the meantime, I'm here to answer any questions you may have."

He looked away, grinding his teeth together--and met the shorter stranger's gaze accidentally. The man frowned at him, avoiding his gaze but not quite looking away entirely. It was almost like they were waiting for him to do or say something, but how was Seth suppose to know what that was? He was still confused and had just had the existence of what appeared to be aliens thrust upon him. He swallowed, feeling the confusion swirling into the unnatural calm Samira had forced upon him. He couldn't help the question that slipped out of his mouth.

"How did she die?"

Amerys hesitated, glancing towards the cockpit as if worried that Samira would come out and stop him. But she did not appear, so the man relaxed slightly. "Childbirth," he said, shrugging. "Or so the rumour goes. Your father died around the same time."

"What...what were their names?" Seth was too curious for his own good now, and couldn't help asking the questions--the hard ones, which he might not like the answers to. They just kind of...slipped out. He tried to bite his tongue, but that appeared to be the wrong thing to do. Every fiber of his being protested the mockery of restraint he'd tried to show.

"Lauren," Amerys muttered, gaze dropping to the floor. "And Ardys. Your mother knew him as Arden."

"Oh." He knew he sounded disappointed. He couldn't help it. Not with the way his supposed twin was messing with his head. He reached up to rub at a temple, feeling a slight headache coming on. He wasn't sure what to make of it all. "I see..."

"I am afraid that you do not," the other man insisted, and slipped into the alien language again. After a moment, he shook his head and raised his gaze to meet Seth's. "You are Sethos dyr Haverj ora Gaia, a prince of Kavia."

Seth froze, feeling like the world had tilted beneath him. "Wait, what? I'm a what now?"

Amerys appeared confused. "You're Kavian Royalty. Why do you think Hakor wants you so badly?"

"Shit," he whispered, pushing back in his seat. Shock filtered through the calmness, replacing everything else. First, he wasn't entirely human and then he was fucking alien royalty? It had to be some kind of bad dream. It had to be. There was no way any of it was real. He had to be back on Earth, in his bed...dreaming of being something extraordinary. He was boring Seth Pearce. There was nothing other, nothing alien about him. There was simple no way he was...was whoever the hell Amerys thought he was, who he was expecting him to be. "Oh, hell no.. No way... This cannot be happening..."

"I think you broke him," the man on his right comment slyly, chuckling a little.

A hand touched his side, pushing him slightly. Seth didn't notice. His mind had short-circuited, overloaded by the possibility of being something else entirely. He wasn't just boring old Seth Pearce anymore--but it couldn't be true. There had to be a camera or something somewhere, with someone ready to jump out and scream 'pranked' at him. Alec and Sofia had to be playing a trick on him. They weren't really kidnapped. They were just waiting to jump out and scare him. Seth felt his breathing pick up, head spinning, as his vision blurred, colour smooshing together until all he saw was a smear of white and grey and bright amber before him.

"Oh, dear," the same man muttered. "You definitely broke him."

Amerys sighed and suddenly there were hands on his face, holding it still. He blinked and Amerys swam into view. The man was giving a stern look. "First off, this is most definitely happening right now, Sethos. So snap out of it." Amerys scowled, giving him a little shake. He found himself going lax in the other man's grip. "And secondly, I need you to focus."

Seth met the other man's amber gaze and blinked. Something shattered inside him and suddenly he could feel every single emotion flickering through the shuttle's cabin. His headache grew until it was all-consuming. He winced, trying to withdraw from the sudden onslaught of sensation. He felt overloaded, like he was trying decipher far too many things at one time. And he kind of was. Seth groaned, closing his eyes.

"Yes," Amerys whispered. "That is what I was waiting for."

"What happened?" Samira's voice--and somehow, he knew they were two parts of one whole. He reached for her blindly, felt her take his hand. "Did he finally break through the dampeners on his Kavian abilities?"

"Oh, yes," the other man said, chuckling slightly. "He did indeed." There was a beat of silence and then Amerys continued in a wondering tone. "He's stronger than you are."

"Of course he is. He's the first-born."

"That's not what I mean, Sam, and you know it." Amerys sounded a little angry now. Seth unconsciously reached for the emotion, untangling it and drawing it away. He heard a sharp intake of breath. "Seth, don't do that again. You don't know what you're doing."

His sister chuckled. "Well, it looks like some things are definitely instinctual."

"Oh, shut up," Seth muttered, swaying. He blinked his eyes opened and tried to focus on Amerys and Samira, but things wavered and his vision doubled, then trippled. Darkness crept in at the edges and everything faded into shades of grey. Seth suddenly felt ill. "I don't feel so good..."

Amerys was worried; he could tell. It was evident in every subtle line on the other man's face. The darkness crept in a little more, then suddenly surged forward. The last thing Seth remembered seeing was Amerys calling his name.

ItWasntMe wrote a review...

Hi, I'm here to do a review. This was amazing I really enjoyed reading but I did notice some small mistakes. No offense is intended

In this sentence, Safley should be safe. safely can work but safe sounds a little better and fits better grammatically.

"Sorry, big brother...but I'm going to have to keep you like this until we're safely aboard the Thanatos."

Also, the comma after idea is unnecessary.

"He didn't like that idea, and found that even though his was angry and frustrated and still kinda scared, the unnatural calmness was like a blanket over everything."

Do you mean briefly?

"Their gazes met brieflt before Amerys looked away."

Handoff is one word.

"Something he clearly didn't find because he slid the hand off Seth's knee a moment later."

Rumour is spelled Rumor

"Childbirth," he said, shrugging. "Or so the rumour goes. Your father died around the same time."

No comma after insisted.

"I am afraid that you do not," the other man insisted, and slipped into the alien language again. After a moment, he shook his head and raised his gaze to meet Seth's."

Simple should be simply and you are missing a dot after no. Ok well that is really really minor so never mind.

" There was simple no way he was...was whoever the hell Amerys thought he was, who he was expecting him to be. "Oh, hell no.. No way... This cannot be happening..."

Colour is spelled color and grey is spelled gray.

"Seth felt his breathing pick up, head spinning, as his vision blurred, colour smooshing together until all he saw was a smear of white and grey and bright amber before him."

No comma needed after overloaded and trying needs a particle like to.

" He felt overloaded, like he was trying decipher far too many things at one time. And he kind of was. Seth groaned, closing his eyes."

Grey spelled gray trippled has one p.

"Oh, shut up," Seth muttered, swaying. He blinked his eyes opened and tried to focus on Amerys and Samira, but things wavered and his vision doubled, then trippled. Darkness crept in at the edges and everything faded into shades of grey."

Those were just small grammar mistakes i noticed nothing bad this story was great and i really enjoyed it great job!!!

ScarlettFire says...

Thanks for the review! I appreciate it. Uh, about the spelling. I'm Aussie so I use British spelling. Which means I am spelling rumour, colour and grey correctly. XD

ItWasntMe says...

i do that all the time I apologize

ItWasntMe says...

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:56 am
Silberfee wrote a review...

Firstly I'd like to say that generally speaking I found the chapter well-written and strong personalities of the male characters stood out to me (because I would find it harder to write from a male perspective being a female) I was impressed with that.

"What kind of kidnapping is this?" he demanded, feeling a lot calmer than he probably should be.
personally I dislike the use of the word 'probably,' here as the author is supposed to be the omnipotent creator of the novel and its use contradicts the creator's authority, especially when you reinforce the image that he would be panicking if it were not for interference
It was an odd feeling, alien to his own--like someone had overridden his panic with unreasonable...

I know your characters speak informally but when narrating I would (personally, ) keep all slang out and write formally :
kinda scared,
They just kind of...slipped out

This may be because I haven't read the previous chapters but for me its unclearl who the shorter stranger:
and met the shorter stranger's gaze accidentally.
I would assume that is Teren? Because earlier in the chapter it isn't mentioned that Teren is shorter than Amerys.

In this part when Seth discovers his identity:

If I was Seth I would have expected Samira to contribute to answering his questions surely he must have questions for her as well as it seems that Samira knew the truth???

I did like this bit of sibling support and I thought there could be more written about it :
Samira's voice--and somehow, he knew they were two parts of one whole. He reached for her blindly, felt her take his hand. "
- that and the fact that Samira knew his identity before him would make their relationship interesting....

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
— Thomas Edison