12+

Ordadus [1.2]

by Wolfi

Brett stepped out of the car, noting grimly that the descent to the ground was considerably shorter. Why? The left front tire had completely disappeared under the car, that’s why.

Damn,” Ted said, surveying the damage. "Is there anything we can do?"

Brett got down on his hands and knees and studied the tire. From the stress of the sharp turn, it had dislocated from the rim and slid back under the belly of the truck. Somewhere something metal had broken, too. Because he knew his old truck was probably gone for good, a weight of sadness settled on his chest, like the dread of saying goodbye to an old friend. Or a girlfriend. 

He squinted up at Ted's concerned face. "We can probably replace the tire, but we're gonna have to get the old one out first."

Ted nodded. “I’ll get the tire iron."

Brett traded Ted his keys for the x-shaped tire iron and latched it onto one of the lug nuts of the rim. But when he tried to turn it, it wouldn’t budge. He tried a different nut, and it didn’t work either.

“I’ll try,” Ted offered, dropping the keys nearby.

Brett stood back. Ted stepped on the tire iron to get it turning, but instead of loosening the lug nut he stripped it entirely from the rim. It clattered onto the road, shorn cleanly in half.

“Sorry Boss,” Ted said, wincing. “We’d best call for help.”

Brett fished his phone from his pocket. “I’ll call the house first and let them know we’ll be late.”

He dialed the client’s phone number and while he listened to the ringtone he kicked the broken nut around.

“Hello, Mrs. Mazotti. I’m Brett Crawford from Crawford Carpentry. We’re the ones who… yes, yes, that’s right. Unfortunately, we just had a, uh, an accident on the road. My truck is shot.”

He patted the rusty yellow hood of the pickup affectionately, then wandered toward the creek to see if he could see the white dog. “Yes, everyone is fine. But we won’t be able to go anywhere until we can rent a new truck. I don’t know how long that’ll take. Will you be home all day? That’s good. Can we come any time? Good. I’ll call you back when we’re on our way.”

He couldn’t see the dog anywhere. He hoped it would find its way back home. “You’re welcome, Mrs. Mazotti. See you in a little bit. Goodbye.” He hung up, then tapped on his contact list to see who he could call for help.

He’d decided on his dad when behind him, he heard Ted laugh. “Brett! The dog’s got your keys!”

“What?” He turned around and sure enough, a large, skinny white dog was sitting there with Brett’s Oakland A’s lanyard clamped in its jaws.

“It’s a funky looking thing, isn’t it?” Ted said.

It was. Its ears were large and upright, with tufts of white fluff at the tips. Long, cat-like whiskers framed its face. The eyes were placed up high on its elongated skull, and there wasn’t any definite point where the head stopped and the sharp snout began; the line from the forehead to the nose was flat. Its tail was a like a lion’s, a white paintbrush that flicked back and forth playfully.

It was cute, but odd. And dammit, it had his keys.

"How'd he get my keys?" Brett asked.

"They were left on the ground. He slipped in and grabbed them, right in front of me."

Brett put his phone away. "You've caused me enough trouble already, dog. C'mere, drop the keys.”

“It’s not like you need them anymore, with the state the ol' truck's in.” Ted was thoroughly entertained. It wasn't everyday that his boss was the object of tomfoolery such as this. It was usually the other way around, as long as Brett was in a good mood.

“I believe in the ability of the repair shop, thank-you-very-much." Brett snapped his fingers and pointed at the ground. "Drop it, boy.”

Ted snorted. He couldn't help himself. This was all too funny. “Maybe it’s not listening to you because it’s a girl."

“Can you tell?" He was annoyed but he could see the humor in the situation too and his eyes were twinkling. There was something irresistible about this dog.

“Nope. It's too fluffy. Doesn’t have a collar either.”

Leaning forward, Brett tried unsuccessfully to grab the keys. The dog tossed its head back defiantly. “Help me, Ted, would you?”

Ted stepped forward and the dog bounced to its feet, its long tail flitting back and forth madly. Then it dashed around Brett towards the creek, but just in time he stuck out his hand and snatched the end of the lanyard. The dog was stronger than it looked, however, and nearly yanked Brett off his feet, who barely kept his ground but couldn’t quite hang on. The keys slipped free and the dog bounded toward the creek, its tail waving like a taunting white flag. 

“I’ll be back," Brett said, setting his phone on the hood of the truck. "Call my dad to get a tow here, would you?” Then he hurried down the slope, stumbling after the dog as it pranced along the stream, leaping gracefully over and among the rocks.

Brett stopped short when he saw someone a little ways down, strolling by the creek, cloaked in a dark purple shawl. He supposed it was an old woman, but her face was heavily shadowed and he couldn’t be certain. Nonetheless, she was certainly the dog’s owner; it greeted her gleefully and dropped the keys at her feet.

She bent down to pick them up. Her hand was delicate, pale, and wrinkled.

“Thank you, ma'am,” Brett called out. "Those are mine.”

She glanced up, but he still couldn’t see her eyes, just the sharp line of her jaw. Then she looked back down at the dog, and gave it back the keys.

“Hey, hey! Wait!" He jogged toward the woman. Perhaps she couldn't hear him very well. "Those are my keys," he said, accentuating his words clearly and indicating himself with a hand on his chest.

She nodded toward the dog, who was already galloping downstream. “Go get them, then,” she said, matter-of-factly.

“Ma’am?”

“You heard me.”

Brett opened his mouth and then closed it slowly. The dog looked back at him, waiting. 

"Ma'am, I don't think he'll let me..."

"She," the woman corrected, pulling her shawl tighter over her face. "She's a girl." 

Brett cleared his throat. "Right. She. I don't think she'll let me have my keys back."

The woman shrugged and continued on her way.

"I'll have you know," Brett said, "she ran across the street just now and I almost hit her. I ruined my truck trying to swerve away."

The woman didn't answer, so Brett, grumbling, turned to the dog.

“Hey! Girl. Come here.” The dog lept from rock to rock, ignoring him. Then she jumped into the shallow water, generously splashing his jeans.

He clenched his jaw. He was getting angry.

The dog turned around, as if she was waiting for him to catch up. Brett dashed into the water and lunged for his keys, and he surprised himself when again he actually succeeded in grabbing the lanyard. But as the dog’s tail only whipped faster when they engaged a tug of war, he realized that this was exactly what she wanted. To play.

“I’m. Not. Letting. Go,” Brett growled. The dog was still stronger, and as she backed up they took their game to the opposite shore.

Brett cast a desperate glance back at the woman. She was kneeling in the undergrowth, and her back was turned. She had a... lighter? She appeared to be trying to start a fire. A pang of alarm went through him. She didn’t look like the type to go camping.

He was with a crazy lady. Brett wished Ted would come to his aid. He considered calling out to him, but then the dog pulled viciously and Brett lurched forward. He almost fell but he let one hand go and caught himself on the rocks. It was the same palm that he had scraped earlier. Now it was bleeding.

He glared down at his hand and the dog pulled one last time. Brett was too angry to notice what was happening, but before he could react, the dog ripped him from Earth.

He and the dog were suddenly squeezed together; he felt the fluffy, feathery fur and the warm body pressed against his, and he saw a flash of her eye, still glinting playfully; a cool wind whipped around them, first green and gray, the colors of the Oregon creek, and then yellow and orange and brown; he shut his eyes because the striated colors were increasingly brighter and the wind warmer. Then there was a great flash and gradually, everything stilled.

In a matter of seconds, the window between realms had swallowed them up, and the stream, the forest, the crazy lady, the Crawford Carpentry truck, and Ted, were no more.

The first thing Brett did in Ordadus was to stand up and pick up the tattered green lanyard with his bloody hand. Then he stared at the orange Ordadian sun, and felt very confused.

Feltrix wrote a review...

Hello! I'm back for the second installment!

I. Why? The left front tire had completely disappeared under the car, that’s why." This sounds like you're addressing the reader, which you shouldn't do.

II. Why is Ted trying to fix the car? Brett just thought about how unfixable it was. Is he lying to keep Ted happy? It's his car that broke, he should be the sad one. And if Ted possesses the knowledge to fix a car, he should know that it's gone, or at least that he can't fix it without professional help. And the tools of a carpenter wouldn't fix a car.

III. I didn't know why they were driving. I'd introduce the fact tat Brett and Ted are carpenters going to a job site in the first section.

IV. Instead of saying 'he was getting angry,' describe Brett's anger. He's having 'girl trouble,' he destroyed his car, a dog stole his keys, and now this old woman's being pretty rude to him. He's having a rough day. Describe his emotions.

V. "the dog ripped him from Earth." That's pretty abrupt. There's the between-realms transition, but I spent most of it trying to figure out if this is a metaphor or an exaggeration or if it's literal.

VI. "he felt very confused." Okay, Brett just got pulled through a rip in the fabric of the universe to another realm by an inter-dimensional dog. 'Confused' is possibly the biggest understatement ever.

I'm glad to see the plot is moving along. There's a modern Wizard of Oz feel to it. I'm a bit confused by the crazy lady and the lighter, but I'm guessing she'll show up later. I feel like Ted would eventually help Brett get his keys, though. Again, there's a bit of a lack of setting, but I'm excited to see where this goes.

Feltrix

Wolfi says...

Thanks so much, Feltrix! It's so helpful to know what's going through a reader's mind.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:16 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again! :D Well this escalated quickly!

I really appreciate that you're taking your time with this and showing each thing as it happens. Even though not much is really happening until the end, your descriptions make it a rich experience to read. I also liked how you used the dialogue to show throughout the scene. I tend to use lots and lots of dialogue to move scenes along, but I like how it's sprinkled in here with lots of description and other things happening around it. I thought that worked well in this chapter.

One little note on the dialogue - I think you could add a little bit more about how the characters are saying their various lines. It starts to sound a little talking head-ish. You change up your tags which is good and sometimes you sprinkle in some dialogue description or action with the dialogue, but I think I want a touch more. Lines like:

“Maybe it’s not listening to you because it’s a girl.”

I'd love to know how he's saying that. :)

I liked the way he got to Ordadus this time. The dog was interesting and the lady was creeeepy. Not sure what vibe you were going for with her, but she sort of reminded me of Bathilda Bagshot in HP7 when Harry and Hermione go to Godric's Hollow :o

The only part that didn't quite work for me in this chapter was the very end. So far you've been building this up so nicely and creating intrigue and suspense and then BAM WE'RE IN ORDADUS. I know it happens fast, but I somehow want it slowed down in the prose. Here comes another HP reference :p Like you know when Harry travels by portkey - that's a fast experience but the first time it happens JK slowed it down so we really know what it feels like to travel by portkey. That's kind of what I'm thinking here.

This probably isn't a super helpful review, but that's all I've got for ya! I'm still so intrigued by this story and I'm so curious to know where you're going to take it so write more, ya? And post it asap, kay? No more of this april fools tricking us with a new chapter :P

But let me know if you have any questions or if there's something you want feedback about that I didn't mention! :D

Wolfi says...

Great advice Carlito!!! Thank you so much <3
In which HP book does he use the portkey the first time so I can use that for inspiration?

Carlito says...

Book 4, when they're going to the World Cup :)

Wolfi says...

Of course, from the Weasley house. Thanks <3

Wolfi says...

Changed some things at the end! How's it look?

Carlito says...

I dig it! :D

Wolfi says...

Hahaha yaaas! Thank you <33

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:16 pm
Mea wrote a review...

Well, talk about having a fast inciting incident. :P

Honestly, this was great and I'm sure I'm going to struggle finding anything to critique.

I suppose it almost felt too fast. Like, seriously, this is one of the fastest "accidentally falling into another world" openings I've seen. You make no bones about getting us to that other world, and yet you still managed to do a pretty great job of showing your main character's personality and getting us to like him.

Whether or not you should slow it down I think really depends on the importance Ted, as well as Brett's other real-world concerns, will have on the plot now that we're in the other world. Ted I feel like readers will remember well, but Brett's other concerns not so much. Brett in general doesn't quite feel grounded in the real world - I think mostly because even by the time he was pulled in to Ordadus, we still weren't really sure exactly who he is. We know he has his father's wood business, but the information feels more like clues to a (admittedly small) mystery rather than background knowledge. The simple mysteries of who the guys are and what they're doing aren't fully understood before Brett is yanked away, and I think that's a large part of why it feels rather abrupt.

Still, I definitely wouldn't let it slow down too much. By and large, it works great.

I had a hard time picturing in my head what actually happened to the truck, since all we know is that the left tire somehow crumpled underneath it, and I just don't know enough about cars to understand what happened. Some sort of diagnostic (like "it's a broken axle" or even "I have no idea what happened" from Brett would help alleviate that.

I also agree with the previous reviewer about how did the dog get the keys, but I think you already realize that part didn't work. :P

I loved the last line. It captures the enormity of what happened and is also very down-to-earth: he was simply confused. It kind of reminded me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

And that's all I've got! Sorry if this wasn't too helpful - this is just such a strong opening.

Wolfi says...

Awwww, Mea <33 thank you!

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:09 am
Atticus wrote a review...

Hey Wolfical,

Great job again- this was a good continuation of the story you begn in 1.1. Brett and Ted's reactions to their battered truck seemed very genuine.However, there were a couple of pointers I wanted to give, mainly about the plot progression-
1: How was the dog able fo get the keys? I got the impression that Brett left them in the car, and if he took them out he would've had them in his hand or right next to him the entire time.
2: When the dog drops the keys at the old woman's feet, why doesn't Brett lean over and scoop them up? If she was indeed an old woman, she most likey would've had some difficulty stooping over, so it seems almost courteous to pick them up for her.
3: After the woman gave the dog his keys, why didn't Brett grab the dog? He would've seen rhe motion the old woman was making and would've been able to grab the dig and wrestle the keys from his mouth.
4: Like with your other one, I felt the ending was rushed. There doesn't seem to be enough buildup to the big moment and instead it seems to happen. It is also totally unrelated to the plot and doesn't really flow with the main ideas of the plot very well.

Keep working on these- you have a lot of interesting ideas I'd love to see develop. Work on your endings and building up to your big punch.

Wolfi says...

Hello again!

You bring up a good point about the keys. I was meaning to add that he had left them with the toolbox, but I forgot.

I think Brett was further away from the woman than you imagined. I'll clear that up a bit.

The ending is related to the plot because this is just the first chapter of an entire novel I'm hoping to write. Does knowing that help? :)

Thanks so much for your reviews!

XD YES !!!! EMBRACE THE POWER OF CAPS LOCK + EXCLAMATION!!!! no SHAME IN BEING EASILY EXCITABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Euphory