z

Young Writers Society



Shadowsong: Chapter 1.1

by Featherstone


A single candle flame, flickering alone against a sea of darkness. A single pillar of hope against a sea of evil. Or perhaps the last surviving spark of evil amongst a sea of good. Maybe it is truth amongst lies, or lies amongst truth. It could simply be light in darkness, two opposites surviving in harmony. Maybe they are really the same thing, or two halves of the same whole. Perhaps neither exists but are both illusions; or, by seeing them, we make them real.

Who knows? Who will ever know? Who would want to know?

A web of fate and destiny weaves its way through the world, so many paths, so many endings. It is a deathtrap, a journey of pain, and, yet, its beauty is infinite in the morning dew, its artwork so unique and enrapturing one cannot look away.

Many stories have been told. Stories of good, evil, darkness, light, betrayal, loyalty, heroism, nobility, peace, and war. My story is of many things: dark and light; future and past; confusion and guidance; but mostly of truth.

Honesty is a virtue in some places. In others, it simply has its place. The truth is glorified in many stories past, the beacon of all goodness. Rarely do these stories show its darkness -forgive my use of the word- but show it as purely positive. But, for all its glory, the deepest of truths rarely come without a steep price. However, its rewards can be most valued- or despised.

Every one is born with a gift, a value or ability that is unique to them. Or perhaps it is a curse. I got the gift of truth. And yet, I was the utmost deceiver, the most deceived. I was manipulated, beguiled, tricked; I manipulated, beguiled, and tricked others.

Yet all life has it's twists and turns, a labyrinth of choice and destination, danger, safety, and everything else. You never know what is lurking around the corner until it manifests at its chosen time; you only know what has happened in the past, and anticipate the future based off that experience.

Some have the gift of sight, the ability to see that labyrinth and its twists and choices. But they cannot see clearly- they simply see different possibilities, not which will be chosen or what path will bring one there.

A millennia ago, they say a two ravens walked the world, one white, the other black. The black one saw through all illusions, but was a creature of shadow, deception. The other saw through every truth into the lie it could be or already was, but was a beast of light and honesty. They walked the earth in peace, until, one day, a great evil came forth. It hunted them relentlessly, forcing the birds into hiding. In order to remain hidden, they changed their forms: one into a white-winged man, the other into a dark-winged woman. They flew to opposite ends of the world, to the purest forms of light and darkness, and there established their domain.

What came of them, no one ever knew. They simply disappeared and never returned. Some say they died, others that they finally found peace. Yet more say that perhaps they are still among us. Who will ever know?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
223 Reviews


Points: 282
Reviews: 223

Donate
Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:08 pm
Kelpies wrote a review...



Hello FalconryGirl9086,

I promised a while ago that I would check out your works, so here I am! This does grab the reader's attention, and sets a basis for a story. I love the writing style- reading it almost feels like a fairy tale. However- it does seem to go on for a while before making it's point. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It feels like a prologue to a much longer story, and I am eager to read the rest! I think that its a fascinating idea to have a creature of light that can see all lies, and a creature of darkness that can see all truth. I can't wait to see what trouble they get into!

~Kelpies.




Featherstone says...


Thanks for dropping by, Kelp! :D



User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:16 am
Snoink wrote a review...



So, I read Chapter 1 and then, in the comments, found out that you had a prologue! So, of course I had to look!

Most of it just seems like... filler? Stuff that you really don't know. Still, having read Chapter 1 first, I found this really useful:

A millennia ago, they say a two ravens walked the world, one white, the other black. The black one saw through all illusions, but was a creature of shadow, deception. The other saw through every truth into the lie it could be or already was, but was a beast of light and honesty. They walked the earth in peace, until, one day, a great evil came forth. It hunted them relentlessly, forcing the birds into hiding. In order to remain hidden, they changed their forms: one into a white-winged man, the other into a dark-winged woman. They flew to opposite ends of the world, to the purest forms of light and darkness, and there established their domain.

What came of them, no one ever knew. They simply disappeared and never returned. Some say they died, others that they finally found peace. Yet more say that perhaps they are still among us. Who will ever know?


This is by far the strongest part of the prologue. So much so that before this part, I was going to recommend that you cut out the prologue entirely, but with this part, I started to get on the fence. I sort of want to recommend that you parse it down to about this, or to combine this part within the dialogue as one of the riddles that the dark raven utters.

I think that combining this with the first chapter would be better... if I were to do this, I would have the dark raven say part of the story, with the other white raven say the other part. So, it seems like they two are in on the secret of this mysterious story.




Featherstone says...


thanks for taking the time to read and review! :)



User avatar
116 Reviews


Points: 5240
Reviews: 116

Donate
Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:19 pm
RoseTulipLily wrote a review...



Greetings! Let's get straight in the review.

Criticism:

In all honesty, I only have two extremely minor critiques. And they are strictly grammar related.

"Yet all life has *its* twists and turns." Is the correct way to say this.

"They flew to opposite ends of the world, to the purest forms of light and darkness, and there they established their domain." Is the correct way to say this.

Extremely minor nitpicks aside, I loved this introduction to the story. You clearly know what you are going and successfully manage to capture the reader's attentions with your solid writing style. I am looking forward to seeing where this goes. ;)

Keep writing




Featherstone says...


Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll go fix that when I get the chance ^_^



User avatar
289 Reviews


Points: 304
Reviews: 289

Donate
Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:32 pm
MissGangamash wrote a review...



OOooooooooh even more intriguing.

Nitpicks first to get them out of the way:

'A single candle flame, flickering alone against a sea of darkness. A single pillar of hope against a sea of evil. Or perhaps the last surviving spark of evil amongst a sea of good.' - there's a lot of 'sea' here... I think other metaphors could be used to not make it so repetitive. I'm just envisioning loads of different seas haha.

'Every one is born with a gift,' - 'Everyone' or 'Every one of us'

'they say a two ravens walked the world' - no 'a'

'What came of them, no one ever knew.' - What 'became' of them.

I like the raven idea. Is that your own or a myth? I'm curious as to how something can be a 'beast of light' when light has always been associated with good. But I guess the truth can hurt and be used for evil. And also the 'great evil' must really be truly evil because those ravens don't seem too nice anyway, must be something pretty terrifying to scare them away!

I'm interested to see who this narrator is. Is she the white raven? If she is... I think the last part is a bit cheesy - a bit like a pantomime thing. 'Where are they....? Oh, it's me!' But if she isn't then the ending is a good teaser.

I will be reading more :)




Featherstone says...


Nope, she's the black one. Ish. Not literally, they eventually died. However, she is definitely connected to it- its gifts passed on to her. Anyways, thanks for catching those typos, I appreciate it. It gets to a point where one just can't find stuff anymore with their own work and needs someone else. I didn't even realize there was that stray 'a' there, and I've read it a bajillion times! The myth is of my own making. Thanks for taking the time to read and review!



User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 125
Reviews: 61

Donate
Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:19 pm
Feltrix wrote a review...



First of all, this is great. Really, truly great. The wording is so poetic and symbolic and it's wonderful. Still, there's so much that the real meaning can drown in it all.

From what I've seen, the part talking about gifts and the ravens' story are the most important. I suggest that you sort of re-format things so that the ravens' story is sort of spread through the prologue and then the gifts at the end. I might be wrong (I haven't read it yet) but I think that would best set the stage for the rest of the book.

I hope that's helpful.

Feltrix




Featherstone says...


Thanks for taking the time to read and review!



User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 284
Reviews: 23

Donate
Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:32 pm
MeatBunCat wrote a review...



Hai! MeatBunCat with her 1 of 3 planned reviews! Since this is pretty short, I'ma stick mostly to reacting and giving my thoughts on how you phrase things, because a lot of this is poetic prose. Something that knowing people's interpretations on is useful.

A single candle flame, flickering alone against a sea of darkness. A single pillar of hope against a sea of evil. Or perhaps the last surviving spark of evil amongst a sea of good. Maybe it is truth amongst lies, or lies amongst truth. It could simply be light in darkness, two opposites surviving in harmony. Maybe they are really the same thing, or two halves of the same whole. Perhaps neither exists but are both illusions; or, by seeing them, we make them real.


Oh! Dramatic! The phrasing is attention grabbing, but doesn't give enough of what is going on. Which is perfectly fine as long as all of this stuff is referenced later in some way. I see a lot of stories start like that. My fav line of books, a series of unfortunate events spends the first five paragraphs drawing you in with details about how depressing and bad the story gets. Hardly even mentions what the story is actually about, just hinting at the content.

A web of fate and destiny weaves its way through the world, so many paths, so many endings. It is a deathtrap, a journey of pain, and, yet, its beauty is infinite in the morning dew, its artwork so unique and enrapturing one cannot look away.

I feel like this word chunk, while lovely, is just overkill.

Every one is born with a gift, a value or ability that is unique to them. Or perhaps it is a curse. I got the gift of truth. And yet, I was the utmost deceiver, the most deceived. I was manipulated, beguiled, tricked; I manipulated, beguiled, and tricked others.

Just so you know, this feels like the first part where the story is actually hinted at.

A millennia ago, they say a two ravens walked the world, one white, the other black. The black one saw through all illusions, but was a creature of shadow, deception.

I wanna hear more about this, maybe an epic in this beautiful prose of yours would work? All you gave us was a summary, which doesn't seem to do the idea justice.

----------

Thoughts: You'd make a beautiful poet, you're language is so careful and musical in its phrasing.




User avatar
264 Reviews


Points: 23295
Reviews: 264

Donate
Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:33 pm
Megrim wrote a review...



Since this one is short I just went ahead and read the whole thing before commenting. There are some gems in here, but unfortunately, they're buried in a lot of confusing prose that leaves me wondering what I've just read. :P

Here are what seem to be the most salient tidbits:

Every one is born with a gift, a value or ability that is unique to them. Or perhaps it is a curse. I got the gift of truth.

Some have the gift of sight, the ability to see that labyrinth and its twists and choices. But they cannot see clearly- they simply see different possibilities

they changed their forms: one into a white-winged man, the other into a dark-winged woman. They flew to opposite ends of the world

Those are the juicy bits, the pieces that taste of Plot and Character. The rest is mostly... fluff. Mysterious, poetic, beautiful nonsense.

For instance, the first paragraph is very metaphorical and ponderous/introspective. It has all these pretty phrases that seem to be hinting at deep meanings. But uh, as far as actual content goes... it's about 99% metaphor 1% content. You can surely get away with this in a middle of a book, but in paragraph one, the reader reaction tends to be something along the lines of "??"

Who knows? Who will ever know? Who would want to know?

Rhetorical questions are often cautioned against in writing. We all do it, but you have to be super judicious about when and where you put them. These questions... where do they get us? Do they make the reader think, or understand better what's going on? Do they reveal characterization about the questioner? I'd argue no to all of those things. They strike me more as the author being mysterious than as actually progressing the story.

I'd recommend taking that paragraph about the ravens and expanding *that* into your prologue. Dial down the metaphors and fluffy language and dial up the meat-and-bones (you can still keep the metaphorical prose, just make sure it's overlying a sturdy foundation of concrete, straightforward ideas) Consider what's going to be the most beneficial information for setting up the story to come, and focus in on that.




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 151
Reviews: 16

Donate
Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:26 pm
Keumgan wrote a review...



Hi there !

I really love this prologue. It has a very poetic air to it, and your wording is powerful. You have a style that sets a certain solemn tone into the story, and it's really well-written. I like the structure, whereby you have relatively short paragraphs that are easy on the eyes, and each of them smoothly enters a new idea into your story. I'm looking forward to read what happens next.




Featherstone says...


Thanks, Keumgan! I'm glad you enjoyed it



User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 249
Reviews: 17

Donate
Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:21 am
JadeBunny wrote a review...



This sounds really intriguing! I love the tone and wording, and although the prose is a bit purple and info-dumpy, it is a very good introduction to your story. The labyrinth metaphors are also very well done. I wonder what happened to the ravens, and I really want to read the next chapter. One thing I didn't like is that the light=good, dark=evil thing is kind of cliche, but that is just a minor nitpick of mine. Overall, you did a pretty good job setting up the story.




Featherstone says...


Thanks for reading and reviewing, Jade! I appreciate you taking the time. About that light=good and dark=evil thing: I know it starts out that way, but the whole point of the story is that it isn't true. By the end, you'll see what I mean. Hope you keep on reading!

Good writing,

Feather



JadeBunny says...


About that light=good and dark=evil thing: I know it starts out that way, but the whole point of the story is that it isn't true.

Really? Well, that's certainly unique. And I will keep reading.



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:04 pm
View Likes
Panikos wrote a review...



Hi, featherstone9086! I'm Pan, and I will be boiling up a quick review today.

First off, I didn't see any grammatical errors, which is always a big plus. Your sentences are varied and create a nice, musical pace, and you're good at creating parallelism where its needed. I can tell you're a very capable writer.

However, I do think this prologue falls slightly into the trap of trying too hard to be profound. It may just be that I'm an old grump and don't have much time for philosophy, but my attention wavered throughout the first few paragraphs because I felt like nothing of real substance was being said. It seemed that you were being led by your desire to use flowing language and beautiful metaphors rather than by the actual narrative. For instance:

A web of fate and destiny weaves its way through the world, so many paths, so many endings. It is a deathtrap, a journey of pain, and, yet, its beauty is infinite in the morning dew, its artwork so unique and enrapturing one cannot look away.


What is really being said here? That life and fate is painful but beautiful? I just did that in seven words! Resist the urge to dress your writing up unnecessarily - don't be afraid to be simple. Writing concisely is not to be underestimated, and it's often more effective.

You first grabbed my attention with the raven story, because it was specific. It divulges detail on the world that the narrator comes from, and it sets the scene, it stands out as being original. These paragraphs are good - and if you tweak them, they might be all you need as a prologue.

If I'm going to give you any advice, it would be these three points:

- Lead with meaning. Use metaphors where they aid understanding, not gratuitously.
- Always ask yourself, whenever you write something, whether it contributes to the narrative you're trying to shape. If it doesn't, cut it.
- Be more specific. Abstract discussions probably won't hook your reader - they want to know about the narrator, their life, their environment, and why their story is going to be worth reading.

Hope I helped! I'll be interested to see the first chapter of this when you post it.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan




Featherstone says...


Thanks for taking the time to review! I completely understand what you are saying about metaphor, and will keep it in my mind during my future writings. Good writing!



Featherstone says...


I just posted the first chapter if you're still interested



User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:13 am
Dracula wrote a review...



Hello, featherstone9086! I'm here to review. :)

Who knows? Who will ever know? Who would want to know?
I absolutely love that first paragraph. All the different thoughts and ideas, all the question marks and repetition... it shows just how much of a 'thinker' the narrator is. I love the atmosphere that is set.

forgive me the use of the word
This is the only sentence I think needs to be changed, and only the wording. It just doesn't sound right, I don't know how to explain it, sorry. But it should say: Forgive my use of the word.

My story is of many things: dark and light; future and past; confusion and guidance; but mostly of truth.
This prologue is so poetical. You use so many different words and descriptions all at once, and some people might not like that, but I really do. Your style of writing is beautiful, and I've got nothing else to say other than keep on writing because you're awesome at it! :)




Featherstone says...


Thank you so much! I will go and change the wording- as I look over it again, I think you're right. Thanks again for taking the time to read & review my work- it really helps me become a better writer every time someone helps me fix my mistakes.




Be careful or be roadkill.
— Calvin