z

Young Writers Society



Binding Blood - Chapter 3

by ExOmelas


A/N: I added a couple of lines at the very start of chapter 2 that don't make a difference to plot, but not reading them makes a revelation in this chapter look blunt and sudden.

The fierce icy water grappled at Dannel's ankles, threatening to suck him down like the dregs of a drink. His legs thrashed about of their own accord and his arms batted at the water. All knowledge of swimming technique flooded from his brain and he focussed entirely on keeping himself afloat.

He gasped and tried to summon Teersin but their bond was terrifyingly weak. He kicked hard and found the forces acting upon him finally begin to even out. His head began to bob slightly above the water's surface. He twisted around in circles searching for his family but, other than him, the vast expanse of water was empty.

"Dannel!" cried a voice that could only be Hannah. The terror and panic sounded too human to have come from either of the demons.

"Hannah?" he spluttered.

Some of the loch's water sloshed into his mouth and he had no choice but to swallow it and keep his mouth shut. He whirled around again and his eyes pinpointed the general direction of her shout. He spotted the shore - a bank of loose pebbles and greyish sand - and his sister curled up in a ball at the very edge of it. Jaravin was crouched next to her, an expression of worry etched across her face. Teersin was not with them.

"Teersin!" Dannel cried, his mouth once again filling with water. He pushed himself onto his belly and was about to dive into the water in search of his imp when Hannah called again from the shore.

"No, Dannel, don't!"

He swung himself back around to look at her. He could barely see her face in the darkness but it was strained, desperate even. He made a strangled moaning sound in frustration. He couldn't just leave Teersin, could he? And Hannah wanted Teersin dead anyway, according to his mum. He faced Hannah again and she was nearly in tears. He whimpered. If he made the wrong decision, there was no way Teersin would forgive him. He began to chop a quick front crawl to the shore.

"What was the rush?" he pleaded, once he had risen to his feet on the gritty pebbles.

"This is Loch Aldin, Dannel," she reminded him.

Oh, Dannel thought. Oh, no. Geography had never been one of his strongest subjects but there was one thing that everybody in the whole of Manarilde knew about the country's landscape, maybe even all of Tayfir. It had started out as a legend - the pixies in the loch. But gradually, as they'd been investigated it had become known that the loch really was filled with miniature life forms.

They were not pixies. Loch Aldin was filled with millions, possibly billions of carnivorous fish so small that they could blend in as individual grains of sand on the loch floor. And Teersin was somewhere in there with them - poor, beaten Teersin who only moments ago had spent the last of his energy on healing his broken ankle.

In all of the panic, Dannel had almost forgotten the man whose plan had been thwarted by their escape. What had he wanted from them? If Dannel had known, he felt sure he'd have done his best to oblige. He hated to see Teersin in pain, not least because the pain spiked through their bond and jabbed piercingly at him.

"But Teersin,... " Dannel whimpered.

"It's okay," Hannah assured him, "Jaravin's going to go out and find him."

Jaravin nodded briskly and raised herself from her haunches. Within moments she had shuffled forward to the shoreline and was ready to begin her search. It was probably best that the job fall to Jaravin. She was superior to him in every aspect of moment, even swimming. Still, Dannel's chest was squeezed tight by tension and he kept forgetting to breath.

She sprang off the ground and with a flap of her wings angled downwards at the water. As she plunged beneath the surface, Dannel found himself with a desperate urge to distract himself from thoughts of Teersin. He turned to Hannah.

"Okay," he muttered, "Answers."

"What would you like to know?" Hannah asked calmly.

"Who the hell were those men at the house?" he spluttered.

Hannah took a moment to reply. She cast her eyes around, presumably for a rock to sit on. Dannel could see none. A moment later, she sighed and held her hands behind her back. Then she trembled with exasperation and grunted, flopping to her knees on the silt. Dannel followed slowly and avoided her eyes. He gasped as the damp of the silt seeped through the back pockets of his trousers and shifted onto his knees.

“They were mum’s friends,” she murmured, “They worked with her.”

“What?” Dannel spluttered, “That doesn’t make any sense!”

“Of course it doesn’t make sense,” Hannah muttered. After a few moments, she added, “Yet.”

Dannel said nothing. She still wouldn’t look him in the eye.

“There’s something you absolutely have to know,” she whispered, “But I’ve been directly ordered not to tell you.”

Now it was Dannel’s turn to howl in frustration.

“What’s going on?” he cried, “Why can’t you just tell me?”

Dannel glanced out at the loch. There was still no sign of Jaravin. He forced himself not to think of Teersin and turned back to face Hannah.

“I can’t tell you because you’re not eighteen yet,” Hannah explained.

“Neither are you!”

“I almost am,” Hannah continued, “One more week. You have to be of age before they tell you, because they don’t trust kids with it.”

Dannel rolled his eyes and grated, “Just bloody tell me.”

Hannah took a deep breath.

“We’re not like everyone else, Danny,” she whispered, “Our blood - it’s different. How much do you know about Tayfir’s ancestry?”

Dannel shrugged. “I know we’re descended from a penal colony. But what’s that got to do with anything? You don’t honestly believe in that ‘criminal gene’ that was on the news the other night?”

Hannah shook her head. “Tayfir wasn’t just a penal colony.”

Hannah gasped and her hand flew to her forehead. She rushed to her feet and faced out towards the western end of the loch. A golden head emerged from the murky depths and shook water off its scales.

“Jaravin!” Hannah cried. She pounded along the bank of the loch, silt flying outwards from her every step.

Dannel howled and sprinted after her. He expected to catch her within a few moments but she was tearing away from him. What had she been about to tell him? He wondered if it had anything to do with what his geo-histoire teacher had been going on about for the past month. The evolution of Tayfir had never really interested him. As far as he was concerned, the past could go fuck itself. It was his turn now.

Hannah had stopped when she got level with Jaravin and started wading out into the loch.

“Hannah!” he cried. He pictured little jaws snapping at her flesh and shuddered. He couldn’t think about that, especially since Teersin had been somewhere amongst a swarm of micro-piranhas for at least fifteen minutes.

Stop it.

He smacked his forehead and forced himself to focus on Jaravin. She was bobbing up and down, too weak to move. Could she be weighed down by the weight of a multi-limbed imp? He prayed that would be the case, but had no way of knowing for sure. Hannah’s strawberry-blonde hair bobbed over to Jaravin and together the two of them dragged something green toward the shore.

Dannel tried to stop himself but ended up dashing into the water to help. Something nipped at his toes and he knew Teersin would want him to go back, but he just couldn’t. Hannah was the length of two swimming pools away. They’d never make it back if he didn’t go out and help. Even if they survived their arms and legs being eaten alive, they’d run out of energy before they’d even halved the distance to the shore.

He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and dove into the water.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:14 pm
Casanova wrote a review...



Heya, Scot! Casanova here to do another review for you!

Anyway, I'd have to say this story somehow keeps getting better and better. There's a few things I'd like to talk about, though, so let's get into this.

The first thing- Hannah.

For some reason, I'm not really that into her character. Like, I know Dannel is the main character and all, but I think you don't focus enough on her. Mainly it's all about Dannel, Dannel, Dannel, if that makes any sense. I'd like to get to know Hannah better, because as of now all I know is she is protecting her brother and is in some sort of thingy that doesn't tell kids stuff, if that makes any sense. Basically, she would be the NPC in a storybook. Anyway, forward.

I feel like this chapter was rather too fast. Everything happens all of a sudden, and I'd like to see it play out slower. Like, with what happened Jaravin. That was really quick, and I figured that it would probably play out more. Just a suggestion, though.

The next thing is I feel like you ended this chapter too early. It's not really that suspenseful, and I could see it going on for at least a bit further. This chapter is short in comparison to your last couple of chapters, and I would suggest you finding a good middle ground.

Really, besides all that, I would say the only thing to work on is how you present Dannel. To me, at least, he appears to be what we call here, a sissy. And I would expect some fear, but it's not really that. He just isn't.. assertive, or anything of that sort, and I figure what with him being woken up after a nap, people possibly there to kill him, his imp's leg being broken and all- he'd be a bit more assertive than he is now. But that's just me.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on this one, and I hope it helped.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and keep on keeping on.

Your friend, Matt




User avatar
289 Reviews


Points: 304
Reviews: 289

Donate
Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:17 pm
View Likes
MissGangamash wrote a review...



Only just realised there was more of this because I wasn't updated so I had to skim read the last chapter to remember what was going on.

I like the descriptions of the Loch and the idea of the micro-piranha's is very cool and rather scary! Nothing worse that fearing something you can't see.

I really hope Teersin is okay!

The sense of mystery in this chapter is also very engaging. I just hope we get to know what is so special about them soon and Hannah doesn't just keep getting cut off because that can be rather frustrating for the character and the reader.

Reading on when I can :)




ExOmelas says...


Haha, thanks Ganga! :)



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:16 pm
Deanie wrote a review...



Hi Biscuits!

I am so late in getting back to this, and I apologise! I took a bit of a slow patch to reviewing and am still trying to catch up with all the things I should've reviewed in December. I have not forgotten about it ;) I also went back and read the lines necessary. In fact, instead you get to have my 1350th review, so let's make this a good one! (Which might be difficult when this chapter is already so well written.)

I have to say this was a good chapter! I liked how you put a little twist in there about the lake - it's not just any lake but a lake with flesh eating creatures in it. I think that was a good way to make a problem which seemingly doesn't seem to bad into something a bit more serious. On top of that we also have Dannel not knowing something, and just when he is about to get his information they get distracted! Love it, and it's a good way to build suspense. The idea here is as original as ever and I am looking forward to when I can read the next chapter as well. It seems like we're getting to see a lot more of Hannah here as well, seeing as he was only introduced recently ;)

He kicked hard and found the forces acting upon him finally begin to even out.


Wait, this confused me a little bit. Seeing as he calms down right away after this, I am assuming that you mean his senses? Or the panic evens out and he can think sensibly? Clarifying that statement would be nice. :)

he had no choice but to swallow it and keep his mouth shut.


Ooh, I know this is a small moment, but I wanted to know how this tastes! Was it vile, and how did it taste afterwards? Did it make him gag? I also am a bit worried about that statement now that I have read more. Seeing as this lake is infested, did he just swallow a lot of flesh eating creatures that are now going to eat him from inside out now? Either you meant for that to happen... or you didn't. If not, make sure he doesn't go around swallowing anything, because that is a bit alarming :D I don't think you want him with a disease that he can't control.

He faced Hannah again and she was nearly in tears. He whimpered.


He's whimpering at the choice he has to make, but does he feel anything for seeing his sister in tears? Does he realize how terrible the situation truly is when he sees his unbreakable sister in tears, or does he just hate himself all the more for leaving behind his closest friend because his sister says so? I think there needed to be a reaction to seeing his sister in such a state instead of it just being said and then ignored.

I think these flesh eating creatures need to be a bit better explained. I couldn't understand why Dannel had been in the river and they hadn't tried to feed on him at all. In my mind these creatures are like piranhas that attack everything they can possibly eat. So tell me, why didn't they? Do they only eat a particular kind of thing? (Although I doubt that because of Dannel's statement at the end) or do they have to wait to be hungry? (which they should be, because if the saying is a commonly known one, then no one has gone near this lake in a long time. Hence the creatures being hungry and ready to eat by now.) Or were they already nibbling at Dannel before, but it wasn't for a long enough time to have a lasting effect or so? Wouldn't he have felt it and come to the realisation of what this lake was before Hannah said it? And if it is because they are dormant or sleeping I doubt that would be the case because all of Dannel's kicking at the beginning would've caused them to stir, wake up or whatever it is that these things do. All I need here is a better explanation because some things about their behaviour so far isn't quite adding up. It's merely working when convenient to the story for throwing in some more suspense.

squeezed tight by tension and he kept forgetting to breath.


This is a common little mistake I see on YWS. You mean 'breathe' at the end there. To breathe is the actual action of breathing, the verb. But a breath is the thing you take in while doing the action, the name of the lot of air. So try not to get them confused (or perhaps this was just a typo and there was no need for an explanation.)

Now it was Dannel's turn to howl in frustration.


You tell us he howls in frustration, but you could always show us a little bit as it builds up to this. I want to see Dannel curl his fists and shake as he thinks about the fact that his life has just been put in danger, and still his sister doesn't want to tell him why! And then he can explode in frustration and lead his howl. It will always be much more affective if you go into a little bit of detail and show us the build up that leads to it.

The setting is another issue I have here. Yes, there is a lake in this city, but in my mind the only thing I can see clearly is the lake. How far off is living society? They did fly for a while, but now they are being awfully loud - howling and shouting and the lot - and I wonder if anyone can hear them. The last thing they should want to do is draw attention to themselves after a murder attempt. And, I want to know how far off the houses and lights are, and maybe see some distant shadows just so that we can imagine a larger picture in our minds and know where the setting is. Yes, the lake and its shore is the main focus, but there is a whole world out there as well. Don't forget to include the background when it comes to story writing ;)

Dannel howled and sprinted after her.


He seems to be doing a lot of howling. How about something else?

I don't have anymore for you! I thought this was a pretty good chapter already! There were next to no typos which shows that you actually read through this really well before posting. ^^ And then as well as that, the story is readily moving forward. I want answers just as much as Dannel does, and I hope their shifters are alright. I will be reading the next chapter soon :D

Image

Deanie x




ExOmelas says...


Thanks, Deanie! Your review as always is wonderful :P I'll keep going just now and edit later, since none of the problems are major, glaring gaps in the plot.



ExOmelas says...


Thanks, Deanie! Your review as always is wonderful :P I'll keep going just now and edit later, since none of the problems are major, glaring gaps in the plot.



ExOmelas says...


Thanks, Deanie! Your review as always is wonderful :P I'll keep going just now and edit later, since none of the problems are major, glaring gaps in the plot.



User avatar
94 Reviews


Points: 2348
Reviews: 94

Donate
Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:37 am
View Likes
Satira wrote a review...



Hi!
ok, what i'm going to say is that you need to treat your own story like it's a published novel that you are reading out loud to an audience. You need to 'hear' your story, and if it sounds right. That's advice I'd give to anyone.

remember that you don't need such big words all the time. 'fierce icy water?' (it doesn't sound fancy i know but) It's a little over the top. Maybe don't say 'icy'. it sounds a bit cliche. or put a comma between the two words.
'knowledge of swimming technique'? sounds like he calls swimming, 'swimming technique'. in the world you're in, I'd think they'd just call it 'swimming'. probably isn't called a 'technique.'
you can eliminate a lot of the tag lines, like 'cried,'and 'sputtered', unless you need them. For example, in this sentence- "She smiled harshly."- usually smile isn't harsh, so the tag works. Your dialogue itself should be what's convincing the reader of what a character is doing, not the tags.
besides that, i like your writing style, story, and characters, so i want to see what's become of it!
keep writing!
-Satira




ExOmelas says...


Thanks for the help! Though I should mention that he's actually a swimming prodigy on his local team and he's comparing it to swimming competively. I promise promise promise that makes sense :P

I've actually had problems with tags before. I'm a little confused by it all. Should I replace them with a more neutral word or just leave dialogue by itself? I've found that unnamed dialogue can get really confusing in long conversations. Do you think you could expand on that?



ExOmelas says...


Oh also, could you give just a couple more examples of OTT language? Just so I know what I'm looking for.



Satira says...


what is OTT?
if you mean the whole tagline thing... it's not something that's easily explained. the best i can say it is that it is not math, there is no proper way to do things. you can't just go and look up a word in the thesaurus so that the word isn't some 'boring, dull' word, and pick any of those. you have to choose every single one of your words with care.
take for example, 'small'. you don't want to say 'small more than one time in a paragraph, so you look it up in the thesaurus and it comes up with 'little', 'tiny', 'miniscule', 'scanty', 'wee', and 'meager'. you can't just pick any ONE of those. As I was saying before, it's something you have to hear. chances are, NONE of those big words will fit, and your paragraph will do just fine with 'small'.
If you want more practice on how to hear the flow of your work, i suggest you reread one of your favorite books and be critical of absolutely everything in it. Point out things you would have changed, and be conscious of the things that sound good. Writers get published because they're good at writing (most of the time), so the best teachers are inevitably books themselves.



ExOmelas says...


OTT means Over The Top. I think I understand what you mean... It's just... How is the reader supposed to know who's speaking if I don't give it a tag?



Satira says...


well, most people don't sound the same. you know, because their personalities are different and so their dialogue is.
You can use simple tags like 'he said, 'she said', and it works well, too. You just don't need really flowery tags or the 'tag tags' that are like 'she said SOFTLY' or 'he said, TERRIFIED'.



ExOmelas says...


Ok thanks, I get what you mean now :-)



User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 3263
Reviews: 158

Donate
Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:36 pm
View Likes
thewritingdoc wrote a review...



Of course, I was a little confused because I haven't read chapters 1 or 2, but darn, I am impressed with your writing style! Not only does this concept seem fascinating, your way of writing is just the perfect balance between dialogue, character thought and description - bravo!
I have one smaller suggestion for improvement and that is:
"She cast her eyes around, presumably for a rock to sit on"
I would change this to: "She cast her eyes around, presumably looking for a rock to sit on" - it just makes the sentence a little more complete.
Other than that, stick with it! Sounds like a really good adventure.




ExOmelas says...


Thank youuuuu :)




Noelle, you can lead a writer to their computer and give them coffee, but you can't make them write.
— CowLogic