z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Poem of Storms

by Crunch


It is great and terrifying
Seeing through our shielding glass,
How warriors and hunters fall upon one another
Their forms twisted and mangled,
Icy clear blood pouring from opened wounds

The wind carries the boom and clash of sword upon shield,
And torrent by torrent,
Their ichor sates the thirst of this nether realm below

Once the battle has been won,
The corpses fade to scattered wisps
And the sun emerges in the aftermath
To cleanse the murky aether and restore its azure glory
Until nature decides to reclaim its battleground once again.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 240
Reviews: 1

Donate
Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:37 pm
View Likes
HopeOfDecember wrote a review...



This is my first review so I apologize if it isn't my best.

First of all, I give you credit for going against a normality in poetry and having the second stanza be shorter than the rest. I have to give you props for that, especially because you made it work.

Second, I love the vivid word choice. I could clearly see what you were going for and it made it that much more enjoyable. The second verse was my favorite, as it gave a strong, clear image of wind and warriors.

Overall, really good job on the poem. I'm excited to see what else you come up with.




User avatar
1228 Reviews


Points: 144000
Reviews: 1228

Donate
Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:33 am
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi Crunch! I'm here to review your poem.

Wording/Format:
I like the formal language that you use through the poem. You stay consistent and stick with the same tone throughout which I appreciate. This gives the poem a medieval and regal feeling.

Visually your lines are all very different lengths which looks a little messy. Also here are the syllables in each line 8,7,14,7,10-- 13,6,13--7,8,10,15,16. You might want to trim the ones that are over 10 a little or split them up in a more consistent way; this will happen the flow of your piece since I don't think the randomness really adds anything. Even if you had to have more lines in a stanza, I think the consistency of line length is more important.

As far as I can see your spelling is all correct and I have no complaint with your punctuation/capitalization choices, they are consistent and that's the main thing that I look at. The only thing I would change is to put a period at maybe the end of each stanza or at least at the end of stanza 2 because that looks like the end of a thought and sentence.
Also actually in this line

"Once the battle has been won,"
you shouldn't have a comma at the end of this line.

I get most of the formal language choices but this line confuses me a little bit
"Seeing through our shielding glass,"
I'm not quite sure what a "shielding glass" is or why it'd be "great and terrifying" to look through one. And I don't know why it says "our" shielding glass.. whose glass is it? The wind's or the thunder's?

Overall Impression/Message:

I like the idea of weather/nature being personified by a battle, it's a really interesting metaphor that allow you to develop clear beautiful imagery for.

Like the other reviewer I think there is a lot more room for development, so you should definitely consider extending it. You could portray a battle (wars are more than swords hitting and people dieing; there are generals, plans, unknown lands, compromise, marching, pomp & circumstance, training [a whole lot more than what you covered].. ) or you could talk about different storms like hurricanes, tornadoes, snow etc. Instead of just wind and thunder.

Also your title was not my favorite; I just don't think it relates or adds that much to your poem and doesn't seem like one that readers would want to flock to.

Overall I loved your word choice and imagery, you have some room for improvement. :)
Good job and good luck in future writing!

Review Courtesy of The After Watch (Knights of the Green Room)




User avatar
1272 Reviews


Points: 89625
Reviews: 1272

Donate
Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:39 am
Rosendorn wrote a review...



Hello.

This poem has pretty imagery but I find there's a lack of togetherness to it, a lack of purpose that's leaving me without much to go on in terms of what the point of this poem even is. Purpose is the thread that ties mages together and builds them into something more, something that has a larger image instead of each line being a pretty scrap of fabric never made into a quilt.

First off, your opening lines set up the narrator watching this through something. A screen of some sort? A window? I can't tell if the narrator is close or far, removed from the situation by time, distance, or simply the glass and very much there. It's an interesting concept, but it would require expansion which you simply don't give.

The last line of that stanza sets this up a supernatural element, seeing as blood is not icy nor is it clear in pretty much all animals that come to mind, except maybe certain deep sea creatures. Considering you have implied a terrestrial battle in later stanzas, the only logical conclusion left is magic, which, again, is unexplained.

"The" in stanza 2 line one trips up flow for me. Past that, this whole stanza rests on a single word, ichor, for it to make sense, and as a result you leave me looking for more to the poem. I had to look up the word, and while suddenly the poem makes sense, you basically give us no other context clues that this is a battle among Geek gods. This seems even more at odds with "shielding glass", because for me that is so strongly clear and/or treated glass.

Also, "this nether realm". Once again you imply a narrator from somewhere watching, but it's just not coming together for me. I'm not familiar with Greek myth at all, and you've set up this intellectual barrier for anybody who isn't familiar. It's frustrating feeling like I have to know something for a poem to make sense.

First line, third stanza. The passive voice just stops all momentum short (you can add "by zombies" to the end, therefore it is passive), and disrupts the active flow of the present tense of the rest of the poem.

The rest of the third stanza puts this on earth, for me, considering that nature is usually considered a force in the world of man, which tends not to bleed into the realm of the gods. It ends the battle, sure, but it doesn't tie together the imagery of the glass, the nether realm, and makes the past supernatural elements irrelevant. Also, here is where your word choice ventures into purple territory (line four) because so many adjectives that hadn't shown up in such quantity previously.

I want to like this, but it feels unfinished. It's pretty, but it's part supernatural, part earthly battle, part narrative, and nothing's really complete. I have a feeling this is based on one mythological event that if I knew, this would make perfect sense. But I personally am of the belief such extra knowledge is a bonus to make the poem deeper, not an entry price. By making it the price of understanding the base of this poem, you leave readers with pretty words but nothing to satisfy the craving for what's behind the foggy glass.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey




Crunch says...


Hi Rosey,
Thank you so much for taking the time to do such an in-depth review.
I just wanted to clarify something: this piece isn't based on any Greek mythology - I dabbled with some metaphors using "ichor" and "nether realm", which are confusing if you're looking at it from a different perspective.
The title is "A Poem of Storms" (not the greatest title), and that's what the poem is about - the narrator's looking at a storm. (Icy clear blood = rain, clash of sword upon shield = thunder, et cetera.)
I'm thinking the title can either be taken literally (as in "oh look, it's a poem about storms") or as a more abstract, generic idea. I didn't think about that, because if the reader comes in expecting an actual battle... Well, misconceptions happen.
I apologize if it was unclear. That's my fault for spending all of five seconds on the title, which, in this kind of poem, is important to set the context before the reader starts reading.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read, even if it was a mess of tangled connotations. I'll try to rectify that in future pieces.





... Now things make one heck of a lot more sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the poem's title would've helped, because I generally disconnect the title from the poem itself and don't count it in when trying to puzzle out meaning. Fault of mine, perhaps, but I'd maybe try to clear up the metaphor and not make it quite so obscure.

Knowing that, your last three lines are the key to the whole meaning, and unfortunately by that time I was so lost about what the poem was actually about that I couldn't fit them in. That could be a fault of my own again.

Despite all that, it is still a very beautiful poem.




Too often we crave the extraordinary in life, without even learning how to cherish the ordinary first. Friend, I promise you this: if you can learn to take joy in the simple mundane things in life, the extraordinary will take care of itself, it'll be on its way, hurrying towards you. But if you skip the first part, it'll ever evade you.
— Arcticus