Imaginary Friends - 4: Feel It All

by BellaRoma

Feel It All

So here we are – rock bottom, disaster. To top it all I seemed to be a walking, talking catastrophe.

I couldn’t have gone any more wrong if I’d tried.

Apparently, I needed protection from myself.

That looked like the consensus anyway, from what I’d heard. According to the saying, though, actions speak louder than words. If someone saw me…wouldn’t that rain on his parade? Perhaps I should take a minute to explain...

Since being committed, I’d been sequestered in the back wing of the building. Well secure and lacking any sort of windows, its purpose was no secret. It housed the worst cases, the ones that were considered hopeless. If you had the misfortune to be placed there, you accepted that you chose neither if nor when you were released. Doc’s office was situated right outside the entrance to the back wing. We were the ones to watch.

No one in the back wing got visitors. They weren’t allowed. It was the point where the mask, the ‘face’ of this place, slipped. The cracks were plainly visible, but Doc was far slyer than to let anyone see them. He had a habit of pointing out the flaws of us patients. He took those flaws, stretched and twisted them like you might a rubber band until he had an amalgam of reasons for what he did to us. Bluntly put, he could get away with a damn sight more than most: a quirk of his own that made him all the worse.

He kept the institution running with a pristine exterior, but all I had ever known was its innards. Those had faded; the walls were dying for a paint job and the lights sporadically failed. The back wing had been left forgotten. I’d been thrown in there, beyond the reach of any help.

I was capable of ripping the wool from over the eyes of everyone Doc had managed to sweet talk.

If they believed me, that is.

Desperately clinging to the idea that I might one day change things had gotten me by without the need to make too much fuss. In the grand scheme of things, it was a little ambition, but nevertheless it had to go. Extinguishing the ray of hope began with a verbal reality check.

“I’ve seen you hanging around that door, Watts”, he said matter-of-factly, like it was undebatable. “Where were you hoping to go?”

He stared at me, looking as though he would do so for hours if need be. An awkward silence fell between us as I sensed my demeanour becoming sheepish and skittish.

‘Perfect’, groaned Mercy. ‘You look like you’ve been caught red-handed.’

Indeed I did as I looked down at the floor. My stomach felt as if it were taking a dive for the ground, too. I still hadn’t stammered a word for want of a decent excuse.

“Colour me confused…. Are you saying that I can’t just sit somewhere awhile?” It was the first thing I could think of to say.

‘Good, good’, encouraged Mercy, trying to put me at ease. I, however, was distracted by Doc’s stare. His eyes were much flintier than my almond-shaped ones. They were enough to set the tone before he even started talking.

“You never learn”, he chuckled. “I’ve seen it all before.” I realised that not only did he not take me seriously, but that the supposed joke was at my expense as his low laughter ceased.

“Do you know what would happen if you set foot outside as you are?” he asked, tugging at my thin, white t-shirt for emphasis.

I slowly retreated a few steps. He had released his grip, but I knew that was no cue to leave. He continued his offence. “Anyone who saw you would most likely tell you this: Get. Back. In.” He enunciated each of the last three words with a poke to the chest, hustling me in the other direction.

My mind floundered in last-ditch optimism. I waited to be led to some quiet room, where he’d simply give me a more severe dressing down. I could handle that. Subconsciously, I wasn’t convinced. A calendar flicked by in my head, accompanied by a chant of next Wednesday, not till next Wednesday.

“What?”

It had been a long time since my thoughts had last slipped off my tongue. I had not been here.

He looked at me in bewilderment. “I didn’t say anything”, he said. “Did you hear something? There’s no one else here.” He still sounded confused.

Meanwhile, the murmur of human voices had been replaced with the hum of machinery. It sounded like so many angry wasps, coming from all sides and going straight to my head. The mechanical noise awoke memories with a start.

‘D’you know, I’ll bet it’s placed deliberately - that noise,’ Mercy said thoughtfully. ‘What? I know where we are.’

All this while we had still been moving, but now we stopped. Sure enough, there stood a forest green door. I sat down in front of it, arms folded, a hard lump rising in my throat.

“Now, now – sitting sulking doesn’t do you any good”, he rebuked. “Let's go in, that’s the best thing for you.” I rose to my feet unsteadily, scowling at Doc sceptically. The dreaded door was open now.

When I saw the sharp centrepiece to the room, a table with restraints, my response was as involuntary as pulling one’s fingers away from a flame. Doc was ready. He caught me and began steering me toward the table, kicking and shouting.

To an onlooker, I imagined my efforts must resemble a petulant tantrum. Not that there were any.

For me, that distance was something like being marched to the scaffold.

Even once he’d hauled me onto the table, I still wasn’t prepared to give in. I writhed to be free, frustrated at the futility of my struggle… of everything.

Right away the leather straps began rubbing away at my already bruised skin painfully. Doc left me stranded on the steel table while he fetched a syringe full of clear liquid and a mouth-guard. The latter had a gross texture in my mouth, as if it had been chewed like a dog’s toy.

My tensed muscles didn’t want to admit the needle, so it stung a bit. That tension disappeared once the liquid was injected. I braced myself for the usual drowsiness, but what I experienced was a strange heaviness in my muscles.

‘Definitely not a sedative’, observed Mercy. ‘That means… you’ll be… awake. I’m so sorry.’

I looked over my heaving chest at the equipment used in electroshock therapy, capable of inflicting so much pain that it couldn’t be ethically used on a conscious patient for sure.

‘Yet here we are’, Mercy murmured as Doc adjusted the voltage dial a fraction.

He daubed gel on either side of my forehead, which was so cold that I felt something close to brain freeze upon its application. The gel was what the electrodes stuck to.

The first sound I heard was the switch being flipped; next came the whine of the now active machine.

Red sparks danced behind my closed eyelids, and a crackling noise like popping candy filled my ears, louder than the pounding of my blood. Clammy beads of sweat trickled over every inch of my skin.

Scorching pain haemorrhaged from my brain downward to every nerve ending in turn. I now remembered why the mouth-guard was covered in teeth marks, as I tried to scream round it.

I’m not exactly sure when Doc turned off the machine, because the pain lingered, pulsing like a second heartbeat. My limbs had gone all jelly-like, there was no strength left in them at all. Funnily enough, I would rather have remained on the table once the restricting bonds were removed than be carried back.

I liked to be independent. We all like to maintain our pride.

‘There is SO MUCH wrong with that man’, growled Mercy. ‘That hypocrite!’ she raged. ‘If he’s taking on people who need hand-mending, then PERHAPS HE SHOULD LOOK IN THE MIRROR!’

Truer words were never spoken.

Chaser wrote a review...

Hello once more.

To begin, I'm absolutely loving the characters you have here. Dr. Aiden is the kind of person you hate not just because the main character hates him, but genuinely because of his despicable and sadistic personality. An insane man running an insane asylum. Brilliant.

Mercy and Layla also seem to have bonded out of sheer necessity, and it's interesting to see how their interactions will affect the story's outcome.

As for style, you've got a fine grasp of literary devices, and some impeccable word choice. The only nitpick I have is when you called the table "sharp." I had a mini heart-attack when I saw that word. Torture devices were the most tame of what came to mind. Looking back at it, though, it really doesn't work to describe a table.

"The back wing had been left forgotten" felt a little blunt for my taste. The length difference from the sentence previous softens the impact of the sentence after it. It's really more of a personal note than anything, so you can ignore it if you want to.

Well, that's all I have to say on this matter. I guess I'll find out where this plot is going...next Wednesday. Cheers.

-Chaser

Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:52 pm
Cithara wrote a review...

Hi Bella! Writer here (finally.) I'm sorry for taking so long, as usual. I do love this story, but I get distracted, I procrastinate, all that fun stuff. But now I'm ready to dig in and review!
Let's get started, shall we?

Fairly interesting way to start off the chapter. You start off with a sentence. Then new paragraph with one sentence. Then again. What's your reason for doing so? I just felt it to be a little choppy and a bit too much with just one sentence each line. If that makes sense. What I would do is just make the third sentence apart of the first real paragraph. The one that starts off with "That looked like the consensus." Okay? Because making a sentence stand alone gives it kind of a dramatic flair, or at least stands for something important since it's alone. But I think making three sentences like that in a row is a bit too much.

Since being committed I’d been sequestered in the back wing of the building, well secure and lacking any sort of windows its purpose was no secret.

A bit of a run-on here. I love your word choice, but I think you need some punctuation. The lack of it makes it feel rushed.
"Since being committed, I’d been sequestered in the back wing of the building, well secure and lacking any sort of windows--its purpose was no secret." You don't have to do it like that, of course, but this just gives us more understanding, and helps us since the original sentence was a little confusing due to lack of punctuation.

If you had the misfortune to be placed there you accepted that you chose neither if nor when you were released.
T
This was quite wordy. I'm not stupid or anything (hee hee) but I just think too many large words could weigh down a sentence and take away from it. You know what I mean? Try creating it to be less formal.
I would try to reword it to show you what I mean, but I don't even fully understand the sentence o_o

He took those flaws, stretched and twisted them like you might a rubber band until he had an amalgam of reasons for what he did to us. Bluntly put, he could get away with a damn sight more than most: a quirk of his own that made him all the worse.

Sorry for taking out so much, but I LOVE this characterization. Good--no, excellent--job with the descriptions!!

I slowly retreated a few steps, he had released his grip but I knew that was no cue to leave.

Semicolon instead of a comma.

I loved these two sentences ^^ How true it is!

‘There is SO MUCH wrong with that man’, growled Mercy. ‘That hypocrite!’, she raged, ‘if he’s taking on people who need hand-mending then PERHAPS HE SHOULD LOOK IN THE MIRROR!’

I love it when Mercy talks. She's so sassy and it gives the story (which can be quite dark times, if you see what I'm saying) a lighter tone. Very well done with keeping the balance here.
As far as plot goes, you're doing excellent. The characters are fleshed out nicely, the setting is described well. I wish I could give you suggestions on plot and characters, but they're very well done as of right now. All I can really tell you to changed is grammar and punctuation, as those are the only flaws I can visibly see. Sorry for the delay again!
~Thewriter13

BellaRoma says...

Thank you :-D Glad you're enjoying it.
I hope the rest of the story lives up to your expectations. Slowly but surely, you're working through it.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:26 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Hi Bella!

I really don't have that much to comment on! This chapter is pretty to the point, showing more of the area that Layla and Mercy have been left it. It's almost funny that Mercy's name is mercy when they really aren't getting any. The Doctor sounds a little bit insane himself, and I'm surprised he has complete power over the people in this are. I am sure the people who are supposed to check up on his work overlook a lot of things. But you handled showing us the craziness of the Doctor and the torture pretty well, I think.

One thing I am curious about is that Mercy managed to push over the Christmas tree in one chapter, but I wasn't sure if she did that through Layla's body or on her own. Yes, I know Mercy doesn't want to be revealed to someone as crazy as the Doctor, but couldn't she, I don't know... do something to this Doctor? Even if we're not sure whether Layla is crazy or sane, we need to know if Mercy can actually do things or not.

Also, wouldn't the Doctor have at least one person working alongside him? He can't manage all of these really crazy patients by himself, he would need someone else at least working alongside in this unit. Maybe it's something worth thinking about and choosing whether the said worker is as crazy and happy to go along with what the Doctor does, or is opposed to it, and threatens to reveal him. Although, the Doctor could probably say he would fire him. I wonder what a character like that would amount to, and it would only be realistic to include them in the story.

Be wary of using long words like 'haemorrhaged'. I'm not saying never use them, because of course you can! Just don't use too many long words because then the story sounds formal and many readers will be busy chasing definitions instead of enjoying the content.

To top it all I seemed to be a walking

I feel like 'to top it all off' would sound smoother.

I don't think the italics are really needed here. Having the sentence isolated as its own paragraph is enough to show us of its importance.

well secure and lacking any sort of windows its purpose was no secret.

Hm, I know what you mean by this sentence but the word order is confusing. How about: well secure and lacking any sort of windows because its purpose was secret. And yet everyone knew what these rooms were really used for.

That's all I have to say! Most has already been covered by previous reviewers! I love Mercy's outburst at the end, and it sounds like a best friend who has a right to be furious. As she does :D I better go and read the next chapter!

Deanie x

BellaRoma says...

Okay. Thanks for the tips.
I'll definitely be busy fixing stuff later...
See you next chapter!

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:57 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! I'm back again :3

I find it very interesting that Layla is struggling against her own mind, with Mercy and all that, but she is able to see around her and recognize everything that is going on around her. She's obviously not all that bad off. She knows where she is and why she's there. She is aware of what being where she is means. I like this change of pace too. For once, Mercy doesn't burst in and ruin everything. At least, she hasn't yet xD

Aw man, Doc has to be the single most annoying character that I have ever met. He's supposed to be there to help the patients get back on their feet, rediscover their lives. Yet all he's doing to Layla is tearing her apart. That's not what she needs. Mercy had done that to her already; she didn't need anymore. What she really needs is someone who can support her and help her work through whatever it is she's going through. And I'm sure the other patients need that as well. Doc just isn't the one who's going to be there for them.

Speaking of the other patients, where are all of them? You mentioned something about everyone plodding back to their rooms at 10pm in the last chapter, but that's the only time the patients have been mentioned. I know the it's important to focus on Layla and her problems, but there are other people around her. Is she really living in complete solitude? I find that very odd for a hospital like this. I feel like they'd want the patients to interact with each other, to reacclimate them into "real life".

I'm guessing that this machine at the end of the chapter is for ECT, yes? (the only way I know this is because I watched the musical Next To Normal and the main character goes through ECT) I think that should be a bit more explained though. There are going to be people out there who don't understand what's going on at the end. To be honest, it took me a little while to figure out what was happening. Has Layla gone through this before? Maybe she could explain her hatred for this therapy that Doc uses. Just something that will hint at what she's going through.

**Noelle**

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here!

I like this chapter a lot because it doesn't focus on their internal feelings as much, but focuses on the environment around them, and particularly the doctor. He really does seem not just like a normal doctor (pumping you full of drugs and whatnot) but in a league all to his own. Evil. His mind is corrupt, and his morals trashed. Wonderful! I am curious as to what you do with him now that you have built him to be such a marvelously terrible character.

Mercy really is going out in this one, forgetting that they are a pair in some cases and really talking nonstop. She seems to be the most... emotional of the pair, and the one more partial to fits of anger. She really loves to shout, but at the same time she gives advice to Layla on how to remain small and not get on the doctor's nerves. A tough boot to crack, that one. I love how complex she is! :D

. If someone saw me…wouldn’t that rain

When you have an ellipsis, try to keep a space inbetween it, or otherwise you are joining two words together. So, instead of this: me...wouldn't, try this: me... wouldn't... Seperates the words but still maintains the affect.

No-one in the back wing got visitors, they weren’t allowed.

Technically, these are two sentences. The way you have everything worded makes it so. You need to get a better sentence connector to mold these two sentences into one. Perhaps, because or something similar?

The cracks were plainly visible but Doc was far slyer

Comma before "but"

with a damn sight more than most: a quirk of his own that made him all the worse.

I don't think the colon is in its proper place here. What I would do is replace it with an em-dash to separate the two parts of the sentence. Oh! An em-dash is simply one of these: --

Desperately clinging to the idea that I might one day change things had gotten me by without the need to make too much fuss

This sentence is written in a very complicated way, making it confusing and the subject vague. Perhaps you could look it over and try to make it simpler? It would let the reader focus on the story and less on deciphering what you are talking about.

I’ve seen you hanging around that door Watts”,

Comma before "Watts"

My stomach felt as if it were taking a dive for the ground too, I still hadn’t stammered a word for want of a decent excuse.

Punctuationwise, I would take this sentence and change it into two. So just end the first one at "too" and place a comma before "too" to make everything puncuationly beautiful. :)

no-one else

no one are two words, not one connected word. So "no-one" should be "no one"

not a sedative’, observed

Keep a close watch on that punctuation! It loves to catch you from behind and snatch everything, scattering itself all over, in the wrong places. I suggest you read over your work a few times, looking for punctuation mishaps. There are quite a few of them, and its not a big deal, but definitely something to look for. In this case, the quotation mark should be after the comma, not before. Always after.

I wonder what that machine is, or if the affect of it is lasting. The machine looks like one that merely hands out pain, but I wonder if there is something else behind it. Something that makes it even more dangerous, and more evil minded. If you have watched Princess Bride, you will have an idea of what I am saying. In that movie, they have a machine that I extremely painful, and robs the one tortured of years of their lives, depending the setting of the machine. That idea is obviously taken, but you could use something else. Perhaps the machine messes with their emotions--their sense of love, perhaps? Something more grounding than pain. Just a suggestion, and one you can ignore. The machine looks like something we may visit again, so make sure you have a vivid picture in our head, one that we will remember.

All in all, I think this was the best chapter yet! I love the conflict between the characters, the argument and yet total agreement in everything. The doctor plays a very good evil character, and the machine is a wonderfully evil additive to this captivating story.
What more can I say? Well done.
~Darth Timmyjake

BellaRoma says...

Thanks for the review.

BellaRoma says...

The machine does electroshock therapy, so it was kind of symbolic of where they are. BTW, I have seen the princess bride so I get what you're saying.
You have one more chapter until you're caught up. The beginning might work for you. See you at Part 5.
Again, you get how I've set out Layla and Mercy, so your reviews are great to read. I'll see to the corrections.

Deanie says...

Yesss! More people tackling ellipsis problems :D

TriSARAHtops wrote a review...

Can I just say again how gladI am to have adopted your novel. It seriously is so good that I'm struggling to comprehend how much you've improved from chapter one. It's really nice to see how you've taken on the advice you've been given concerning dialogue, because I only saw a couple of errors with it in this one, where you had the comma and the talking marks around the wrong way. Such a good job.

My limbs had gone all jelly-like, there was no strength left in them at all. My limbs had gone all jelly-like, there was no strength left in them at all. 

I really am picking for issues here, but I thought 'jelly-like' as maybe not as spohisticated as it could be. Maybe just change it to 'felt like jelly'.

I'm sorry to say that you aren't going to get apparticularly long review from me here, because I really don't know what to say about this. Aside from gushing about how great this was. If you keep carrying on at this rate, you're really going to have something special.

Characterisation, pacing, suspense, worldbuilding was allwonderful. You have a really original setting so far, and I really can't wait to see where you take this.

So good. Waiting for chapter five!

BellaRoma says...

Great, so you liked it? Next I want to do either a prologue or a chapter from Mercy's POV. Right now, I am doing the chapter. I would like to update more often.

BellaRoma says...

Part 5 is officially up. From Mercy's POV as promised.
I SO want to introduce my other important character in this novel, Sara. The only problem - she doesn't live in the asylum...

TriSARAHtops says...

Cool, I'll take a look at it as soon as I can... probably won't be til the weekend cos I'm out all day tomorrow.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:50 am
Kanome wrote a review...

Hello.
Kanome here with a review for you.

I really like this story line so far.
It's mysterious, new, and dramatic. Three in one!
Woah.. so is the title called 4 or is it chapter 4? I am kind of confused about that one.

Anyways, the Doctor seems crazy as heck. I love it. Everyone loves a crazy person in the story.

Also, I would love to read more. I honestly still confused about the title. I am going to guess and say it's a continuation of the story?

I don't see any grammar or content errors as far as I know of.
SO keep up the great work. I can't wait to read more. c:

BellaRoma says...

Yes, it means part 4. I thought it was too long winded to keep doing the full title. Any new novels would be sorted into new folders.
No grammar errors is a first. Thanks.

BellaRoma says...

New, improved... Part 5 is ready.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:54 am
BellaRoma says...

Okay so here it is... finally.
I ask you to bear in mind that events in this chapter are subject to change. Tell me if you like them (then I can see if I need to finish the alternate events sequence).
Enjoy everybody!

BellaRoma says...

I promise I tried to do it tastefully.

Anne felt that life was really not worth living without puffed sleeves.
— L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables