Okay, I'm going to be honest to the nerds out there

by Em101cats

Fine, call me a nerd and see if I care.

~

I really like being a nerd. That's the thing. I love typing away and tap-tap-tapping the mouse click button. It's just me. I get out and get air and socialize, so I'm not anti-connected to society. But put a sport in front of me and ask me to play and I'll say, "Ehh.... I dunno..... Maybe we could go play on Young Writer's Society instead. I don't like this game."

Sorry sports-lovers, I'm not one of you. Believe it or not, I'm a nerd and proud of it. That's what I call myself, and it will probably stay that way. Don't comment here and say "Oh, I bet you can become fit, and it won't take much, and oh, you aren't a nerd, no no no, not at all." Because that's not true. Sure, I'm not a gigantic couch potato and I hardly ever touch my TV, but I won't ever be as fit as some of my friends. And yes, I'm a nerd - and don't try to convince me otherwise because I want to be a nerd. I like myself the way I am.

Now, here's where I might sound a bit cliche for a second. Girls in the drama series never want to be considered nerds. They'd rather be "popular girls." The nerd goes and she cries her eyeballs out whenever she gets dissed by a popular girl, and the popular girl laughs and acts way too superior for her age. Whew, there we go - cliche over.

But that cliche was important, and here's why.

All you nerds out there - yes, you - don't follow the cliche. Don't let the popular girls get to you and make you upset. Instead, hit them with your best comeback and let them know, "Hey, don't make fun of me. I'm proud of myself and I won't let you take that away anymore." They'll figure it out eventually that they can't get to you like they used to. They might keep picking on you for a bit, but don't give in to them. Soon they'll realize it's no use trying to hurt you, because it's boring to hurt someone who won't get upset and tells you every time that you aren't superior.

In the past: Popular Girls = Bullies. After using my tactic: Popular Girls = Flies Buzzing Around That You Just Swatted Away.

~

Fine, call me a nerd. But now I do care. It's not that I care to get you to stop, it's that I care that you understand this one and only thing: I'm a nerd, and I love that so much that you can't change me even if you tried your hardest.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:10 pm
erilea says...

Beautiful.

Em101cats says...

Thank you. Just... just thank you so much.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:44 am

It's a wonder this isn't on literary spotlight. :D

Great writing!

Em101cats says...

It was, and it was also featured but this happens to be a little old. But thank you so much!

puppys3117 wrote a review...

this made me tear up almost... for real :') I just wish I was like this; haters go ahead and hate, but I CANT STAND being a nerdy geeky person. because of this, I have a weight that im so afraid someone will get squashed under me (its happened before, with my dog o-o) im not sporty either, and the even mention of sports in my life makes me nervous. in elementary, I was forced to play sports- I stunk at every single one. I would get hit in the face or SOMEWHERE with a dang ball (hurts even more when u have GLASSES). all the people in my online school and beautiful and thin and I just wanna be like them; the online fresh breath of air is when I take the dog out, then im right back inside either watching TV or on the computer :/ honestly, the computer made me a stupid nerd, so I consider it my drug. I hope I don't make anyone feel like this or make them feel that they hav to be popular 'cause I want to be..... sorry Em101cats, if I make u feel strange. and all u haters message me about it ok? I don't wanna waste comment space here. thx... ~puppys3117~

ExOmelas wrote a review...

I'm a nerd and I love being a nerd and it's pretty much my entire existence - BUT - I also love to play tennis and hockey and the popular girls at school don't really pick on me. They're just fascinated by me and ask them to help them with computing coursework. Actually, I'm not even sure there are popular girls in my school. By that I mean to say that there aren't really any unpopular girls in my school. There are unpopular boys and boy bullies but any girls who do get bullied are never nerds. I feel terrible for girls who do get bullied but I just wish they would stop trying to be like the popular girls and just be themselves. I think that's the best way to stop getting bullied.

That's why I enjoyed this so much. I wasn't proud of being a nerd at all until I discovered the Vlogbrothers YouTube channel and became part of their fandom, the Nerdfighters. That's sort of like freedom fighters for nerds and we fight to decrease the overall level of Worldsuck! I think all nerds should be part of the online nerd community and I just wish your message could be heard on more platforms, by more people just like you, I and probably many other YWS users.

I love your final sentence by the way. It sort of makes you sound superior - yet benevolent - towards the popular girls. This makes you seem bigger to them because when they thought they were superior to you, they abused this supposed power whereas you seem to simply pity them.

Well done :)

Em101cats says...

Wed May 28, 2014 4:28 am
dogsrule5 wrote a review...

Hi Em!! This piece of work was great. I mean I am speechless, it was so good!!! It's true you are a nerd, but even if you are I don't care, because know matter what you will always be my best friend forever. We have known each other for a long time and that will never change. I love you, I mean like a friend. That was awesome! You are a nerd, but I still don't care we are always best friends and nothing and nobody can ever change that. I don't care if I am small and you are tall. I don't care if you are a year younger than me. And I definitely don't care if you are a nerd. I like you for who you are, not what you are.

I didn't see any mistakes in this. Like none. Besides if there are any nitpicks or small mistakes, you are very smart enough to find them yourself. Not trying to be mean, but I just think you are very smart!!!

This was one of the best things I have ever read!

And always remember that no matter what you are weather that's a nerd, a sporty girl, or anything else. Just remember that we will always be best friends forever. No matter what.

Em101cats says...

Aww, thank you so much! This almost made me cry :')

dogsrule5 says...

NO problem. What are friends for

Mersize says...

I like the way you are, I mean, we are what we are and be proud of it. No matter other's opinions, Phuk those opinions!

TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...

I know what you mean. My list of sports is
-Bumblepuppy (know to you earthlings by the brand name swingball)
-and Morris and Clog dancing.
Thats it.
Anyway I hope this helps alot of people on this site because I hate all manners of peer pressure. One kid I know is incredibly depressed due to it. This brings me to my criticism: it seems a tad girl oriented. I don't know if it is a bigger problem with girls or not, but it is still an issue with boys. Thankfully not with me though-there is something about using a briefcase as a school bag that says NERD in capital letters.
May you live a long life and may energy shine on you from 1000000 suns.
Take That You Fiend!

Em101cats says...

Thanks! It kind of is a larger problem to girls, and it's not that hard to understand why. Girls are different from boys. It's logic yet it's hard to explain the right way... Girls are more... competitive, you could say, but not competitive like boys sometimes are in sports - competitive about looks, popularity, boyfriends, stuff in that realm. I hope you understand. And thanks for the kind word! May you experience the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see a real-life cat winking at you. :)

I do see that (although I am not sure how founded the stereotype is) but there are boys like that to. A friend of mine, although he obviously won't change due to public opinion, is still affected by others calling him weird.

Em101cats says...

Okay, this is just to clarify something. When I talk about me not being sporty in the writing, I'm talking about me, myself and I - ONLY ME. Sorry if I sound angry, I'm just a little irritated at the amount of comments here of people saying "Hey! NERDS CAN BE SPORTY!" One person has cussed in this comment section, and I'm telling you, I don't like that; but it was all just a misunderstanding. Some - in fact a majority, a large majority so I have been told - of the nerds out there love sports and being active in teams. I'm sorry that the words "I don't like sports" and "Sorry sports-lovers" offended people. I was only referring to myself. I think I've done a well enough job clearing that up. If you still don't understand what I'm clearing up, PM me please.

Monsters says...

Well to be fair you are stereotyping nerds, so when you say something in the article it can only be assumed that you are talking about all nerds and not just you. So it's no biggy, it's just the easiest thing to look for when people are reviewing you. It defiantly is distracting, so you should consider putting a disclaimer on the top so no one is offended, or change the text so people do not comment so much on it.

Most of us just want to help you write better articles, that is all. I wouldn't concern yourself with people that get on your nerves, it's just gunna destroy your mood!

CowLogic says...

You can still be a nerd and maintain physical fitness. In fact, it's very important that you do remain fit so that you don't develop health problems like hypertension, clogged arteries, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc. I'm a nerd and proud of it, but it doesn't I can't run, lift weights, and exercise daily. You don't have to exercise much if you eat very healthy, but you still need to maintain an active lifestyle. I don't mean to be rude by commenting this, I'm just trying to help you out for the future.

Em101cats says...

Yes, I know, I am fit, I just don't particularly like exercising - especially sports. Lots of people have commented about this. I am going to clarify that I'm only referring to myself. Any nerd can be fit and sporty. I didn't mean to put it in the way of saying no nerd can be sporty. This misunderstanding has actually caused someone to cuss in this comment section. Sorry about the misunderstanding here, I was only telling my own self opinions.

CowLogic says...

I wasn't claiming that was what you meant, I'm merely giving you some personal advice I feel would be in your best interest as far as healthiness is concerned. Just saying you wouldn't be abandoning nerdship if you stayed healthy.

wtppowers wrote a review...

This was great. It's a powerful self-help piece, encouraging people (nerds, in particular) to stop being ashamed of what they are, to be proud of their nerdy selves. However, this doesn't help me very much. Why? Because I've been doing it since I was in 5th grade. Nonetheless, it's great.
You said that popular girls will just become swatted-away flies if nerds apply your tactics. From experience, those popular girls (or in my case, boys) will eventually become friendly and respectful towards you, all because you're true to yourself.
Kudos to you! Magnificent!

Morrigan wrote a review...

Hello, Cats! I'm here to critique your piece!

Yeah! Go nerds! I'm glad you're not ashamed to be who you are!

But put a sport in front of me and ask me to play and I'll say, "Ehh.... I dunno..... Maybe we could go play on Young Writer's Society instead. I don't like this game."
Several things about this quote. 1) Three periods are perfectly representative of an ellipsis. Anything more is unneeded and makes this look unprofessional. 2) I don't understand why not liking sports has anything to do with being/not being a nerd. One of my dear nerd friends went to state for tennis in her senior year of high school. One of my friends in college plays linebacker on the football team, and he loves InuYasha and Star Wars above all things. Also, I know that one of my other friends, who is definitely not a nerd, doesn't feel the need to go out for sports because he sees them as needless competition. Sports have nothing to do with nerdiness. Apply this concept to the whole piece, and it will be far more believable.

The whole second paragraph has nothing to do with nerdiness. Omit it for a more cohesive essay.

Now, here's where I might sound a bit cliche for a second.
Saying this is not a "get out of jail free card" for saying something sexist and stereotypical. You don't even have to state this. While yes, I have cried in the past because someone has said something mean to me, I have never cried because someone called me a nerd. These days, it is nearly cooler to be a nerd than to have a lot of friends and spend all your time talking. And really, there is nothing wrong with being one of those people, either. You label them "popular girls," as if they are different, but they are girls, the same as you are. They have feelings, and feelings of inferiority as much as everyone does. In this case, you're not actually talking about popular girls at all, but bullies. They are not one in the same. Bullies are people who make you feel bad about who you are because they are mean. Popular girls? They're girls who do things differently than you do.

Several things. 1) This tactic isn't anything new. I'd avoid calling it yours. 2) Don't relate humans to flies! Flies are pests, only food for spiders! Humans have worth no matter what they do or say!

Being a nerd isn't a bad thing anymore. I feel that this article came a few decades too late. Anyway, I hope that this is helpful to you, and makes you think about a lot of things. Be careful how you say things; don't categorize people as simply good and evil. Think about them. Everyone is gray. Happy writing.

swampperson says...

OK, I can't review this because I can't find a thing wrong with this. It says everything it should say, and I love it, because at heart, I am very much a nerd.

Em101cats says...

Thank you so much! And thanks for the follow, too!

Monsters says...

*not a review*

Hehe, way to cater to the right crowd. I love how 'the nerd' has a negative connotation in society but if you break down the qualities of nerdiness you have a smart person who works hard and is usually driven by passion. There is nothing wrong with it: it is actually much better then the qualities of the popular person. Though, the popular person has some extrovert qualities that are awesome in the workplace, they are sometimes too concerned with people and not enough concerned with their profession. You have a good attitude.

Although, it's hard to say that the nerds don't typically join sports. I know the nerdy kids to run on track and cross so it's a different perspective. (lot's of famous nerds run 4 miles in the morning as well). There are things that sports can do for a nerd.

Em101cats says...

Thanks for the kind word! About the sports thing, I know nerds do sometimes participate in sports as you said, I was referring to myself - I'm not a big sports fan. :P :D

liveandbreathewords wrote a review...

This was so true! I am also a nerd at heart and it is what pretty much everyone calls me (I do like sports too, though). I really do understand where you are coming from... I used to be one of the only people in my class who read just because I wanted to, and I was made fun of endlessly for it. Honestly though, you're right; don't let anyone get to you.

Now, as for the writing... I did not find any grammatical mistakes. I thought it was good. And don't worry--I did not see any of this as offensive in any way, because it is quite truthful :)

Anyway....

Keep writing! You did a great job!

Em101cats says...

Thanks so much! :D

Tue May 27, 2014 1:02 am
Purple wrote a review...

Sorry this is a bit of a rant about the "girls would never want to be nerds" part. Are you freaking kidding me???? Girls can want the exact same things you do, in fact this girl f****** loves being a nerd who sits on the couch all day. Nobody has to live by what is in their pants. Ever. Girls are as much as boys are. We are nerds and fatties and anti-social and brave and sexy and gross and proud of whoever they are. I don't cry when a popular girl might talk crap about me, because that's what the live by. Those kind of people, popular girls and boys, do that as they please, but me? I'm happy with who I am, and crying would mean I care about their opinions and would let them change me. People can choose to speak up to bullies or cry or do whatever they want, but a bully is not just in the form of a popular girl. And all girls do not wish to be popular girls. That's just temporary attention that fades after school ends and we all mature for the better. Nerds, bullies, popular kids, criminals, stoners, average kids just trying to get by...they can all love who they are. I know I do.
~rant over~

Censored for foul language. ~YWS staff

Em101cats says...

I was only going along according to the cliche. I explained - quite clearly - it was cliche, meaning that not everyone is in that cycle. I would prefer that you not cuss in the comments here. I'm not 20. I'm not telling my actual age for safety reasons. But in the future, please don't swear here - swear anywhere else but here. I'm sorry I offended you and I didn't make it clear enough - apparently - that not everybody's in the cliche cycle, as I call it. It was something I sprawled down on a piece of paper and edited into YWS. If I offend you in some way in the future, I'd rather you either PM me and tell me KINDLY that I did rather than swearing and ranting at me through my comment sections.

Nargles says...

@Purple, I think you are missing the point of the text. While, it didn't exactly capture my imagination nor heart, I understand what Em101 was/is trying to say. She was talking about the stigma that surronds girls who are nerds, and just nerds in general. She says how she used to be ashamed in a way of being a nerd because of how others treated her, but she no longer isn't because she has accepted who she is and what she likes. So, sorry, if that doesn't apply to you, whether that id because you aren't a girl or have never felt ashamed for who you are.
Please take your rude comments elsewhere or find a nicer way of commenting on this wonderful piece. Thanks :)

Em101cats says...

Thanks @Nargles. It's not exactly that I was ashamed, it's that I wasn't really sure back then what exactly to think about being a nerd - when someone called me a nerd, I said, "See if I care." because I wasn't sure if I really cared or not. But now I care and I like it being a nerd. Sorry it's kind of hard to understand and I didn't clarify that in the writing piece. But thanks for sticking up for me there. I really don't think it's necessary to swear when you're misunderstanding what's written.

Purple says...

By now you're only concentrating on that one word despite the other things I said. You care now about what they think? Thats almost contradictory to being proud of being a nerd while saying girls never ever want to be nerds. Yes this wasnt clear and I am not bashing you or insulting you, just this piece. If you were addressing a stigma, my advice is to make that clear. When you say something like "girls never" you are not saying yourself, you are talking to our gender as a whole and trying to speak for the whole of the group which is not your place. Once again I say just because I swore doesnt mean I was insulting you. Read it again if you are confused about that aspect.

Em101cats says...

Okay, maybe I was focusing on the f word. But ranting on the piece or on me, I still would rather you not cuss here.

WillowPaw1 wrote a review...

Hi.

Okay... YESH! YESH!

I feel the exact same way about this. For one, I don't want to be popular. Not at all! Popular = too much attention. Too much attention = me being overwhelmed. So yup! Sums up why I don't want to be popular.

But, apparently from other reviewers, lots of other people agree with this too. Even if it's cliche, its true.

I suck at sports, but I mean, I'm not a major couch potato. I mean, yeah, I'm on the internet all the time... But hey!

You're always bringing up great points in your work, and I'm glad you do. It's there, but not many people think about it, until bam, someone writes about it, and a reader is thinking, "Hey, why didn't I think of that idea?"

Great job, once again, Em101cats!

WillowPaw1~

Em101cats says...

Thanks, Willow! You're always so nice. :)

WillowPaw1 says...

^_^ Glad someone thinks that

Em101cats says...

:D

Username26 says...

I swear the majority of the people on the internet would willing class themselves nerds. You are in no way alone.
Have you heard of the Nerdfighters? If not I think you would probably like them. They are sort of a community of nerds on the internet and they're super cool.

Anyway, you have a brilliant mentality for dealing with bullies, it's the only thing that works other than becoming one of them.

DFTBA

Em101cats says...

Yes, I've heard of the Nerdfighters. Wow, they're practically idols of mine! And thanks so much!

%u201C%u2026because nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff%u2026 Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can%u2019t-control-yourself love it. Hank, when people call people nerds, mostly what they%u2019re saying is %u2018you like stuff.%u2019 Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, %u2018you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness%u2019.%u201D -John Green

John Green (yes, the same one who wrote all those bestselling books) and his brother Hank are the leaders of the Nerdfighters. You can join us at www.youtube.com/vlogbrothers which is the YouTube channel that started it all. That quote is pretty much our motto.

lostthought wrote a review...

I hate trying to review these. They are always personal opinions that you can offend someone by protesting...

I guess it's a good thing I agree!

Popular girls are very cliche, aren't they. They tease, you cry. They laugh, and you run away. A nice one is a bit rare nowadays, with society ruling how people are suppose to look and act.

"Oh, look, Stacy is eating another donut. Hey fatty, think you can share?"

Evil, evil people. I swear. Most people in Young Writers Society are nerds. I am. Getting fit is boring. Come with me, the nerd side has cookies! Let's not ponder, come while the cookies still steam!

This is a good message. If only it could be shared with people out of YWS. Hmmm.

-lost

Em101cats says...

Thanks so much! And Stacy definitely is allowed to eat donuts whenever she wants. I do that. And I don't think I'm fat. Not saying anyone else is, just saying that I'm not fat because I eat donuts. XD!

Mon May 26, 2014 11:50 am
ForeverWarrior wrote a review...

ForeverWarrior here for a review!

To start off, I absolutely loved your overall message about nerds and how you are proud that you are one. I, being a fellow nerd myself, can relate to this piece and how you feel. I loved the kind of "Stand up and do something" tone you had throughout the piece, and I wasn't expecting the added on popular girls bullying the nerdy ones. I loved how you told the nerds to stand up for themselves, and I liked the flies thing. And I agree with dominusatramentum. Shakespeare insults are hilarious. I saw no grammatical errors, and it seems like you wrote this from your heart. I felt that you felt and meant everything you said, and that's not something every writer does with a piece like this.
Good job!

Em101cats says...

Mon May 26, 2014 2:03 am
Astronaut says...

Personally I think Shakespeare insults are the best comeback.

deleted5 says...

XD

Em101cats says...

I agree with you there - wholeheartedly. XD

"I would my horse had the speed of your tounge"

attempting foot extraction
— Mea