z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

The Perfect Thief Chapter 2

by DrFeelGood


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

The road to my orphanage was long and tacky, just like my own fate. 'You need chill, Joy.' I told myself and spent some time in a coffee shop. Four torturous years of engineering had made me an ace in stress management. The extra strong cappuccino brought my spirit to life.

Roaming on the crowded streets of Mumbai, I attained a much needed serenity. The breezy ambience of the Mumbai Sea Link brought a smile to my face. 'All your problems will get blown away, just like that wind.' I told myself.

Marine Drive of Mumbai, was my hangout location. If Mumbai had it's own dictionary, Marine Drive could have been named as a universal picnic spot. Jobless bachelors, college groups, lovebirds, and even 'orphans' like me, gave it a flying visit every other day. Time flew by, but I stood still, until I realised it was too late. Ordering a taxi, I rushed towards my Ashram.

Frennie Aunty opened the door, as I watched her annoyed face.

"Look at the time, Joy! It's 12AM." Aunty shouted. It was my mistake. I kept quiet until her 'you need to be more careful' lecture ended.

"I'm sorry Aunty. I'll never do that again." I promised.

"Alright. Come, let's have our food."

"You were waiting for me?" I asked. There was someone in this world, who could understand the agony of an orphan. My hunger had dried down after the grant scandal, but I couldn't say no to our sixty five year old caretaker.

"You should have informed Anjali. She was waiting for you."

"I was busy with my office work." I lied. Aunty had no idea about the crisis, our orphanage was going through. Her life was limited to taking care of all the kids.

"You could have called her before switching off your cellphone."

"I'll talk to her tomorrow." She passed me a glass of water, as I finished my meal.

Dubey had ruined my day, but the cheerful and fast-moving life in Mumbai inspired me to go to bed and hope for a better tomorrow.

****

"Wake up, wake up, wake up..." My stupid alarm clock roared. I took out all my frustration on that lifeless object. Displaying my muscle power, I suffocated it under my pillow for ten long minutes.

"Are you enjoying it, Dubey?" I asked. There was no reply. 'It's your alarm clock asshole! What the fuck are you doing?' I realised I was doing bullshit. I got out of my bed, but couldn't get Dubey out of my mind. 'Rascals like Dubey are born like mosquitoes. Their only job is to leech your blood and ruin your life. Get back to work without wasting your time.' I packed my tiffin box after preparing myself for the day.

"Hurry up, you're late," Frennie Aunty shouted.

"Bye Aunty. Take care," I replied, as I tied the lace of my life, along with my shoes and rushed towards my office.

"What's the matter Joy? You look worried." Ajit asked me, during our lunch break. I was indeed worried. He was pouring a glass of watermelon juice in his Chinese noodles.

"Sorry? Did you say something?" I asked, as a chocolate cake made it's way into Ajit's innovative dish. I felt like vomiting, while he was mixing all the ingredients with bare hands.

"Can't you eat like a human, Ajit?" I shouted, after giving a 'constipation look' to my colleague. He awfully looked at me. His 'It's my food, I'll eat it the way I want' approach wasn't very healthy for our corporate team.

Ajit was a guy God created, after watching a mindless slapstick movie. He was well built, had a husky voice and a charming personality, but his presentation skills were worse than the Indian Parliament. Like the ministers in parliament, he was often caught sleeping in our office.

"I'm sorry Ajit. Actually I am quite stressed about our Ashram."

"What happened to your grant?" he asked.

"The Indian Government rejected it, because I 'misbehaved' with a 'public servant'."

"Bloody Shitheads! These fucking bureaucrats won't even spare orphanages. You should have done a sting operation against him."

"Seriously? You think sting operation works?"

"Of course it does, but I think it's too clichéd." I threw a dirty look after hearing his 'clichéd mistake'. 'What the fuck do you mean by clichéd? Am I writing a novel?' I wanted to shout.

"Sting operations aren't easy to execute, Ajit." I ended up answering.

"What's your plan right now? How're you going to raise the funds?" he asked an obvious question.

"Let's see. I'll talk to Anjali and we'd decide something."

"You should talk to some NGOs. There are many organisations which fund orphanages."

"Yeah. That's a great idea!" I exclaimed. Ajit's inputs were always fabulous. 'I wish this guy had bigger dreams'. Sadly, he was content with his small life and enjoyed being a sidekick in his own fantasy.

"Thanks man. Wanna taste my delicious recipe?" he asked.

"I'm dieting," I replied, while adding some peanut butter to my cheese toast.

"How's Ira?" I asked, before he could challenge my dim-witted dieting lie. The easiest way to deviate Ajit, was talking about Ira.

"She's great. I bought a new mobile yesterday. She's enjoying it."

'Mobile for a three year old kid? Rather than wasting your money, you should donate it to my Ashram.'

"Wow! That's great. Your daughter seems to enjoy gadgets. You taught her, how to use it?"

"Actually, I'm going to use it. She'll teach me all the functions tonight."

I felt checkmated by his confession. After few moments of pin drop silence, I heard our boss yelling.

"Come on guys, hurry up. Stop gossiping about me and go back to work."

"He's crazy. Why'd anyone gossip about him? We have much better topics." Ajit whispered.

"I need to go. I have lot of pending work. See you after office."

"Sure."

****

Office hours ran with the speed of Usain Bolt, while we were working like the Indian Judiciary. Even a tortoise with fractured legs would laugh at us, if it found out our work speed. Our routine sales meet had twenty minutes reserved for a 'sorry session'.

For every question of boss, our 'sorry' was ready. I guess the routine meeting got it's name 'routine', because nothing new happened in it.

"I want numbers, guys! Kick your ass and work hard. You need to improve your performance!" he kept repeating, while scratching his beard. Getting numbers meant visiting customers and achieving our sales target.

"We'll improve our sales. Don't worry sir." All the junior managers pleaded. Ultimately the circus ended at 7 PM as our ringmaster was tired of bashing all the corporate lions.

After the end of corporate war, the commuting battle was waiting for me. Ajit owned a bike, while my other two colleagues, Mohit and Prashant drove their prestigious cars. Poor me! I had to undergo one long torturous hour in that crowded local. Every resident in Mumbai felt like a stuntman, in our train.

"Hi Aunty. Where's Anjali?" I asked Frennie Aunty, as I reached my orphanage.

"I'm the caretaker of these children, not your girlfriend." She bluntly replied. Something was surely wrong with her.

"What's the matter, Aunty?"

"Anjali is going to Delhi next week, for ten long days."

"I'll talk to her. She's in her room, right?" I asked, as Aunty nodded. Anjali's ten days tour was quite annoying for both me and Aunty. Aunty was very much attached to me and Anjali.

As I was heading towards Anjali's room, Nisha came running towards me.

"Joy uncle, let's watch TV." she whispered. I couldn't say no to that four year old princess. I was deeply attached to her from the day she became a part of our Ashram. We went to my room. More kids joined us to watch the evergreen 'Tom and Jerry' show.

"Wait a minute guys, I'll check some news channels first." I told the kids, remembering Ajit's advice to search for NGOs. I switched on the TV.

'Breaking News! Breaking News! Breaking News! Fashion designer Mandy's dog, Rambo is all set to marry for the forth time, in the upcoming week.' The news channel flashed. The over enthusiastic reporter was taking expert opinions, as I changed the channel.

'It's a conspiracy planned by the opposition party to destroy our Government.' A seventy year old minister was shouting along with five other assholes, as the 'Debate show' was looking like a 'standup comedy'.

"Gone are the days when news channels meant information," I said and switched to another channel.

After shuffling seven channels, I found out the contact number of one NGO. Heaving a sigh of relief, I gave the TV remote to kids, as they watched their lovable cartoon. I kept looking at their innocent faces. 'What wrong have they done? Don't they deserve a better future?'

I walked around our orphanage that night. The gigantic mansion built by Shashi uncle had revived many hapless lives. It's own life was now in danger. Anjali and I shared the responsibility to maintain our forty five year old orphanage.

Evergreen trees, neatly maintained garden and an in-house school, had a maintenance cost, that could scare the shit out of any professional. I was gazing at the sky, thinking about the NGO, as I heard someone shouting.

"Hey, Joy. Come upstairs, I need to talk to you." I heard Anjali's voice. My blood went cold. She wanted to discuss about the grant, which was already rejected. I wasn't prepared for her reaction, but I had no option. 'Calm down, Joy and talk to her.' I assured myself and decided to face the music.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
382 Reviews


Points: 15691
Reviews: 382

Donate
Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:43 am
View Likes
Dreamy wrote a review...



Hi! :P

You are like the Mahaan of Metaphors. xD Well, in just few years, people are going to analysis your metaphors and torture the kids to understand/study them. :P I think I'm overdoing it? Well, all that's good, ends good. xD

And,

I assured myself and decided to face the music.


^That's a weird sentence, also a bad one to end a chapter with. You can do better than that. ^_~

Get back to writing soon!

Cheers!




Gaurav009 says...


Thanks for the review :)



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Fri May 16, 2014 5:32 am
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Heya Gaurav!

I have come to read another chapter! This was an interesting one because we were jumping time frames a lot. But we did get to see a bit of everything, his work life, meet some of his friends and some of the children there as well. I am looking forwards to getting to meet Anjali in the next chapter because she seems like a good friend of Sujoy's, and one of the people who is talked about a lot up to this point. But now we get to meet her! You've had quite the amount of reviews on this one too, so I best cover the little I can ^.^

I didn't often think so philosophically, but I was distressed


One thing I want to see more of Sujoy's emotions through his actions. Don't tell us he is feeling distressed as you do, but show us. Make him tap his feet as he waits for a taxi, have his eyes darting from left to right and continuously looking at his watch. Have thoughts running through his head like how will I pay for this? How will I support them? And inevitably the worst possible outcome: what if the orphanage closes down? Where will they go? I really would like to see him worrying about what he might do if that happens, especially as this is all down to Dubey. It would sure make his hate feel more real as well.

He awfully looked at me


Ah, I don't think this is good because you can't describe a 'look' that way. Maybe he shot me an awful look, or a long glare?

as they watched their lovable cartoon. I kept looking at their innocent faces. 'What wrong have they done? Don't they deserve a better future?'


Are all the children of the orphanage in one room? How many kids are there? I can't imagine it being too big if they can all watch telly at one time and are all able to see it as well. I was also thinking, it would be nice if we could hear some of those stories you are talking about. Because he is thinking what have they done? But that bit could be a whole lot more powerful if we have him thinking something like this:

Nisha was only thirteen when her parents died in a car accident. She had trouble getting used to people at school and no where to go until she came here. Now she has a new family and new friends. What would happen if the orphanage wasn't there for her anymore?

Do you see how that makes the prospect of losing the orphanage even sadder and heart breaking?

Also you use Joy as Sujoy's nickname a lot. Which isn't bad, but it could make the reader forget his name. Remember that although friends use the nickname when talking to you, professional people will not, and neither will you when you think. Most people, when thinking about themselves use their full name. So when Sujoy is thinking about himself, make sure you use the right one!

I don't really have much else to say. This is a good chapter, and I will read the next when I get home from school!

Deanie x

Sujoy joy




Gaurav009 says...


Awesome review! I hope you like the next chapter :)



User avatar
229 Reviews


Points: 11589
Reviews: 229

Donate
Tue May 06, 2014 12:27 pm
View Likes
SushiSashimi333 wrote a review...



I'm going to be brief because I'm a bit tired, sadly that also means I'm going to be a bit harsh with you, brace yourself.

You have issues with you entire flow again. Especially plot flow, I don't quite see how this connects with the last chapter, I thought he was going to the Ashram but then he doesn't. Don't forget you need to use dialogue tags otherwise I will lose track of who's talking and have to read the entire thing again.

Again, personalities clash and this just doesn't seem as realistic as it should. That one guy with the weird food, he needs to be a bit more adultish if that's what he is. At first I though he was 5 until I heard he had a daughter, I have issues picturing him in my mind.

The character's personalities don't seem very original when compared to each other. I have a feeling you might be putting what you would do in these situations instead of thinking what they characters would do.

Overall, the only things you need to work on is flow of everything and your character's with their personalities and actions. Otherwise this is an interesting story, I'll read the prologue. Good luck!

Sushi :D




Gaurav009 says...


Thanks for your review. You are spot on. I'm writing these weird personalities quite intentionally. Hopefully I'll make them better in my second draft :)



User avatar
98 Reviews


Points: 5567
Reviews: 98

Donate
Mon May 05, 2014 11:19 am
View Likes
budding writer wrote a review...



Hey Gaurav!
Budding writer here for a review. The others have already gone over on the nitpicks dealing with grammar so I'll just leave that part out and focus on the other things that I found while going through this.

Firstly I'll say that this chapter is a perfect continuation of the previous chapter. There are no break offs that could have made it confusing to the reader so that's a really good thing. And that should be maintained in the fore coming chapters as well so make it equally engaging as this chapter. Never did I feel the least bit bored at all while going through this!

NITPICKS:
"Two minutes later, a cappuccino in hand, I brimmed with energy."
It should have been *brimming*

" 'All your problems will get blown away, just like that wind.' I told myself."
I really loved this line. It totally shows the need for peace and how the MC is trying to put the events into the back of his mind. Good sentence structuring!

Another thing I loved was how you used locations such as Marine Drive. The character of your MC is like that of any typical Mumbai resident and as a fact I know the exact popularity of the place which I felt made your MC feel even more real and down to earth.

" Time flew by, but I stood still, until I realised it "
I understand that you have used "stood still" on purpose to bring out the contrast with the time flying by but still I felt as if it could have been written differently.

""Look at the time, Joy! It's 12AM." Aunty shouted."
I found this a bit confusing because I thought that the MC spent enough time at the government office and then he was at the Marine Drive so how can he come home so quickly?

"
My hunger had dried down "
It should have been "died" down.

" I shouted, after giving a constipation look to my colleague. "
This sentence didn't really work. You could have used something else to describe the disgust which he was feeling.

"For every question of boss, our 'sorry' was ready."
There should be a "our" after "of".

" Ultimately the circus ended at 7 PM, as our ringmaster was tired of bashing all the corporate lions."
This was just hilarious! Its a very typical mentality to the bosses to do exactly that! I loved the way you captured the typical attitude.

"Every resident in Mumbai felt like a stuntman, in our train." Lovely use of words. Again very typical of what takes place in Mumbai.

"I'm the caretaker of these children, not your girlfriend." She bluntly replied.
I know the caretaker is disturbed about something as you have mentioned but I still don't think even in her disturbed condition she would say this. You need to change the dialogue a bit specially in reference to the age because I'm sure the caretaker is quite old.

""Wait a minute guys, I'll check some news channels first." I told the kids, remembering Ajit's advice to search for NGOs. I switched on the TV.'
Here also I think Ajit's advice was not really neccesary to be put in as part of the sentence. Its not possible really to think about finding NGO's while browsing through news channels.

Overall I thought that it was really well written and your establishment of your main character is very strong. The other characters are also creating their place and I am looking forward to getting to know them better.I am looking forward to your next chapters. hope my review helped!

-Budding writer




User avatar
308 Reviews


Points: 31200
Reviews: 308

Donate
Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:54 pm
View Likes
GoldFlame wrote a review...



Heya, Gaurav!

Blown away, as expected. And this sentence ...

The road to my orphanage was long and tacky, just like my own fate.


Just gorgeous. I'm a sucker for metaphors. I think this was so effective because you re-sculpted the atmosphere. Fate's a cheesy topic. I mean, I've tried and failed at transforming it into something digestible. But the atmosphere suited it well.

Agh, I'm too late; you've already received five thorough reviews. So I'll just fangirl over this and then discuss grammar. Not that your grammar needs improvement. On the contrary, it exceeds many of those I've encountered. I just caught the occasional mistake and the sort, which I'll insert in quotes. Anywho! You did a fantabulous job. The humor. I can't stop praising it. How you managed to thread it in so subtly, I have no idea ... and it spread a grin across my face like a butterknife handled by—oh, nevermind. I suck at creating similes.

Everything flowed well. You varied your sentence structure and dialogue, so I was constantly hooked. I didn't tear my eyes from the screen until I reached the end. And the pace—I can't stop gushing about the pace, can I? The paragraphs were broken frequently, but not too frequently.

Forgive the length of this review. Everyone else has pretty much covered my compliments and nitpicks, and there's scarce wrong with this piece. It's also nice to learn a bit about India. As an American, I'm isolated from other ethnicities.

I guess my main qualm is that "action" drowns out "reaction." The pace is solid, but I have to agree with Iggy. The lack of justification is only reminding the reader, this is fictional. That doesn't mean there's a lack of depth, but I'd love some more flashbacks, some field trips into Joy's consciousness and emotion archive. Events are moving quickly. Things are speeding up. As they should, with the exposition. But I think you can risk slowing it down a little, just so we can get to know Joy better.

'You need chill, Joy.' I told myself and spent some time in a coffee shop.


Whoa. That's a lot of time crammed into one sentence. And it's not just that, but it's interfused with the present. When inserting narrative, you typically isolate it, so there's no need for a long and tedious transition.

The solution's simple. Just cut off the sentence before the conjunction and extend each. The You need to chill, Joy also sounds awkward, like it was just thrown in there for the sake of it. I'd recommend clipping it, so the beginning goes like this, or something vaguely along these lines:

The road to my orphanage was long and tacky, just like my own fate. I didn't often think so philosophically, but I was distressed. I saw a coffee shop and decided to stop. Two minutes later, a cappuccino in hand, I brimmed with energy. Strong I'd asked for and strong I'd received.


The engineering section I clipped because it doesn't match up with Joy needing a coffee. A lame example, but you get the gist. ;)

It's also unnecessary to surround thoughts with quotes. Italics is enough.

sixty five year old


Should be hyphenated.

My stupid alarm clock roared. I took out all my frustration on that lifeless object. Displaying my muscle power, I suffocated it under my pillow for ten long minutes.


This was another laugh-out-loud part. But "displayed" seems like a bit of a weak word. The whole clause it's in is unnecessary, in addition to the sentence before it. I'd suggest " ... my stupid alarm clock roared. I shoved it under my pillow, suffocating it." There's no need to add the "ten long minutes," because the narrator then proceeds to talk to the alarm clock while suffocating it.

That's all I have. Sorry that this was so short; as I said, I could hardly find fault with it. Keep it up! :D




Gaurav009 says...


Thanks a lot for your wonderful review.:)



GoldFlame says...


No problem! The least I could do before you leave. :(



Gaurav009 says...


Not exactly leaving this site. [I won't post stories but will be active as a reviewer :D]



GoldFlame says...


:smt026



User avatar
189 Reviews


Points: 398
Reviews: 189

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:28 am
View Likes
manisha wrote a review...



Hi there!
You already have solid reviews which covers about everything. So this is going to be a short review.

If Mumbai had it's own dictionary, Marine Drive could have been named as a universal picnic spot. Jobless bachelors, college groups, lovebirds, and even orphans like me, gave it a flying visit every other day.

If Mumbai had its own dictionary.

And I would remove the italics from orphans. You say it like it is a bad or wrong thing to be an orphan.

Frennie Aunty opened the door, as I watched her annoyed face.
This is a oddly framed sentence.
Maybe something like
Frennie Aunty opened the door and I saw her annoyed face?

"Look at the time, Joy! It's 12AM." Aunty shouted. It was my mistake. I kept quiet until her 'you need to be more careful' lecture ended.


This sounds like it is Joy's mistake that it was midnight. XD You could just do away with 'It was my mistake'.

There was someone in this world, who could understand the agony of an orphan.
She passed me a glass of water, as I finished my meal.

Their only job is to leech your blood and ruin your life.
leech on your blood

"Bye Aunty. Take care," I replied, as I tied the lace of my life, along with my shoes and rushed towards my office.


Tied the lace of my life? The whole sentence sounds awkward. Please re-frame it.

I asked, as a chocolate cake made it's way into Ajit's innovative dish. I felt like vomiting, while he was mixing all the ingredients with bare hands.


it's is its.

and try-
I felt like vomiting seeing him mix all the ingredients with bare hands.
Because otherwise, it sounds like his feeling to vomit is not related to what Ajit is doing.


He awfully looked at me.
XD. You mean - he looked at me awfully?
even that sounds weird. How about - He gave me an awful look.

Ajit was a guy God created, after watching a mindless slapstick movie. He was well built, had a husky voice and a charming personality, but his presentation skills were worse than the Indian Parliament. Like the ministers in parliament, he was often caught sleeping in our office.


unnecessary comma after created
and it is
"..but his presentation skills was worse than that of the Indian Parliament's."

The easiest way to deviate Ajit, was talking about Ira.
Get rid of the comma

You taught her, how to use it?"
Again, the comma.

Even a tortoise with fractured legs would laugh at us, if it found out our work speed.
Eliminate the comma.
And frame the sentence as-
Even a tortoise with fractured legs would laugh at us if it found out about our work speed.

Every resident in Mumbai felt like a stuntman, in our train.
Eliminate the comma

"Joy uncle, let's watch TV." she whispered.
Why is she whispering?

Okay, that short a review! XD

Overall,
This was well-written and as usual your satire and humor is really great. You obviously need to work on your commas but I can you are trying. I feel Anjali could have been introduced much more subtly than out of nowhere. Hints about Joy's relation with her would be nice to know.
Also, there is much talk about the Ashram and Joy is obviously passionate about it. However, I don't see much descriptions about the Ashram. How it looks for instance, how Joy's room looks, all those little details that won't take much space or time but give the reader a better image. I hope the next chapter has more on the Ashram and the children in it. Also instead of saying Indian Judiciary, Indian government, Indian Parliament you could try different terms. For example - like the country's judiciary.

Nitpicks aside the story is going strong. Good job!

Hope I helped.

-manisha!




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:20 am
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



So, I read this and the previous chapter, but mostly right now I'm just confused. Like...well, it took probably half of the first chapter before I understood what was happening at all (although I liked the description of the angry people waiting at the office). Okay, so the MC is trying to get a grant for an orphanage.

But then when I understood that, I'm confused as to why it's the MC doing it--I mean, at first I thought he ran the orphanage, but in the context of this second chapter it sounds more like the MC is an orphan living at an orphanage under the care of a different person...in which case I just don't understand why he's the one looking for a grant. Because you'd think the person running the orphanage would try to get a grant to support the place, right?

Mostly right now I'm just really confused.




Gaurav009 says...


I'll explain it in my third chapter. [It also has a flashback sequence] :)



Gaurav009 says...


Sorry BlueAfrica, I'm editing out the flashback sequence. The thing is my MC is a guy who handles the orphanage where he has grown up.

Frennie Aunty is a character who takes care of orphans [sort of a maid] But since she's been by his side for most of his life, he respects her like a mother.



BluesClues says...


Ooooooooh...that makes more sense, then, with all the different things I thought. So you might just want to make that clear within the story in that case.



Random avatar

Points: 17243
Reviews: 328

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:01 am
View Likes
deleted30 wrote a review...



Hi again!

This was very good! I'll start with the praise first.

Likes/Loves

Again, your narrative voice was fantastic. The dialogue in this was very solid—all of it seemed natural and effortless, very realistic, unlike some of the stiff dialogue I've seen in other stories.

The whole piece has a definite feel of realism to it. The comedic timing is perfect and just enough. Your characters are good, and I really like the MC so far.

You're slowly sprinkling in more and more of what's going on and who these characters are, doing it in such a way that it doesn't overwhelm the reader. The MC further piqued my interest here, and I like that we're getting to know him just as we should, without annoying info dumps. All of what we're learning about the characters is gradual, as it should be.

Choice of wording was really nice, not too grandiose or too simple. Again, though, my favorite part was the humorous narrative voice and the great dialogue. Both were absolutely awesome. :D

As a whole, I'd say this novel is coming along quite nicely.

Dislikes/Suggestions

Beyond my nitpicks (we'll get there in a sec), I don't have much to add. I would recommend trying to work on your pacing a bit. It was fast throughout this piece. Not horrible, but a little too quick in my opinion. This is a common problem.

Just maybe try to layer in some more details and descriptions to combat this. Don't be afraid to slow things down a good deal—one thing I've learned is that what might seem really slow during writing will actually seem like a normal pace to the reader. If that makes sense.

Otherwise, I don't really have any suggestions.

Nitpicks

Marine Drive of Mumbai, was my hangout location. If Mumbai had it's own dictionary, Marine Drive could have been named as a universal picnic spot.


Okay, Iggy already mentioned this part, but I'll add to her nitpick.

Firstly, the unnecessary comma following "Drive of Mumbai." Remember that commas add a pause. So when someone reads this part, they're reading it as, "Marine Drive of Mumbai ...... was my hangout location."

If the dot-dot-dots don't work there/sound unnecessary, the same can be said for a comma.

Second, the "it's" proceeding "own dictionary." This should be "its," without the apostrophe. Remember that "it's" with an apostrophe is an abbreviation for "it is." And "its" without the apostrophe is for everything else.

With an apostrophe examples:

"It's getting late."
"It's too dark to see."
"It's going to be fun."

Without an apostrophe examples:

"The beast was big and its tail was spiked."
"The building was large, its windows like mouths."

If you're still confused, feel free to PM me.

I'm sorry Aunty.


Comma after "sorry."

She passed me a glass of water, as I finished my meal.


Unnecessary comma after "water."

"What's the matter Joy? You look worried." Ajit asked me, during our lunch break. I was indeed worried.


Comma after "matter"; delete the comma following "asked me."

"Gone are the days when news channels meant information," I said and switched to another channel.

After shuffling seven channels


"Channels/channel" is repetitive here.

'Calm down, Joy and talk to her.' I assured myself and decided to face the music.


The italics should've ended after "talk to her." ;)

Okay! Nitpicks out of the way, this was a really fun chapter! I'm really liking this novel so far.

Well done and keep up the good work! :D




Gaurav009 says...


Thanks a lot for your wonderful review! I'm trying really hard to improve my comma goof up. Hopefully I'll improve very soon. :)



User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 1396
Reviews: 37

Donate
Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:27 pm
View Likes
gauravkundu32 wrote a review...



Hi there! gauravkundu32 here to do a short review of this work so let us begin...
First of all, I'd like to say honestly and frankly that I am not good at grammar so I can't touch that part beside that I can comment upon your writing style, plot, setting etc...
1.) PLOT :- The plot of the story is very good and interesting as well. No doubt, you're an excellent writer. The events are in a good flow. ( I just read your previous chapters just now). I like the theme as well. So nothing to worry about, just keep up the good work.
2.) Setting :- When it comes to setting, you have done a very good job here as well. Being an Indian i can relate everything to Indian scenario and I really felt the environment very familiar. Though i have never been to Mumbai I know the situation of a crowded place and the problems faced by the residents. It was good to see that you've given the descriptions of the orphanage and did not miss it.

Now it comes for some advice. As the title sounds "The perfect Thief" I think, Joy is going to steal money as I can see he's getting no way to get enough cash for his Orphanage. I am very curious to know how will he do it. I thing the main spice of the story has yet to come. The sense of humor of yours has fascinated me and your style of writing, buddy, I am impressed, I really mean it honestly. You're a very good writer, I never felt boring anywhere and that's a sign of a good writer. Honestly speaking, I enjoyed all the chapters ( I mean prologue and chapter 1 and chapter 2) till now but somewhere I felt a little less humor in this chapter i.e chapter 2 but that's my personal thinking but I also think that you want to write about a serious issue of corruption, poverty etc here so I think it is well balanced. I would only say one thing, that bring more twists in the upcoming chapters and make the characters do something which the reader have never expected of. I think you know what I mean here. It will add more beauty to this work. Anyway, that's all what I got to say today. I am eagerly waiting for the next chapter and thus request you to inform me when you post your chapter.
With Best Wishes
Keep writing and Be The BEST
gauravkundu32




Gaurav009 says...


Thanks for your kind words. The story is not exactly a humorous story. It's satire on law and is sort of a dramedy. [There are going to be chapters where the focus will shift on the plot instead of humour]



User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:14 am
View Likes
Iggy wrote a review...



Hello again. ^^

'You need to chill, Joy.'


Add in the bold word.

Marine Drive of Mumbai, was my hangout location.


Unnecessary comma.

If Mumbai had it's own dictionary


Its*

and even orphans like me


I don't understand why that word is italicized. It makes me think that orphans are a minority and have no rights, and so seeing one in the park is gaspworthy. I'm sure it's not, so unitalize that.

Ordering a taxi, I rushed towards my Ashram.


This sentence is formed oddly. It sounds like Joy actually bought the taxi and then ran towards his Ashram, who was conveniently right there. See what I mean? Revise this sentence and make it clear that he hails (not orders) a taxi and waits impatiently until it drops him off in front of his Ashram's house.

Frennie Aunty opened the door, as I watched her annoyed face.


Another funky sentence. As you watched her annoyed face... okay. Watched it do what? Also, annoyed facial expressions can be anything, from a glare to a scowl to furrowed brows. Show us, don't tell us.

It's 12AM.


So technical. Try "it's midnight!" instead. Sounds more formal and more natural.

There was someone in this world, who could understand the agony of an orphan.


Unnecessary comma!

but I couldn't say no to our sixty five year old caretaker.


Who is this "our"? I think you mean "my".

"I was busy with my office work." I lied.


Period after "work" should be a comma.

Aunty had no idea about the crisis, our orphanage was going through.


Comma...

Displaying my muscle power,


Since the narrator is talking about himself, this sounds narcissistic. Instead of telling us he showed his muscle power, show us.

You taught her, how to use it?"


...

Anjali's ten days tour was quite annoying for both me and Aunty.


Aunty and me*


I gave the TV remote to the kids,


Add in the bolded word.


Okay. So your three biggest problems:
1. You need to make sure you learn the difference between it's and its. This article might help.
2. You have comma problems. You tend to put commas where they aren't needed, therefore disrupting the flow. Read this to learn when to and when not to use a comma.
3. You've got some funky dialogue punctuation. You tend to end every single dialogue tag with a period. That's not necessary. Clean this up so it's less choppy. This goes into further details.

As for character development, I'm finding Joy to be very undeveloped. Why does this orphanage mean so much to him? I'm seeing no emotion here, no fond memories of the orphanage or immerse love for the kids and therefore it's hard to emotionally connect to the story, or feel sympathy for Joy. Also, I find it hard to believe that someone who curses so much is a good role model for the kids. The cussing just doesn't fit the personality you're trying to work for him.

I can't help very much with the setting and Indian terms of this novel because I'm white >_> so yeah, a lot of this is going over my head. I suggest including a little blurb at the end of each chapter, explaining what so-and-so is. Just for us uncultured white people. <_<

I feel that some things are being thrown at us. Like his wife/partner/girlfriend going away for a ten day trip. Where did that come from? Why? Does it matter? What does she do for the orphanage anyways?

Overall, this is a good chapter with a lot of potential, but lacks some things, so it grows weak when it should be strong. Things like a smoother flow in dialogue and sensory descriptions should be used more often. But other than that, it has promise. You also left us with a nice cliffhanger, so that's good. ^^

Hope that helps.

~Iggy




Gaurav009 says...


A lot of things which you mentioned (Including Joy's character and the orphanage) will be included in the third chapter. Anjali's part was deliberately mentioned, but I guess it appears as a failure :P

I'll rework on this chapter again before moving to the next chapter. (I have also given links in my Author's Note) Thanks for your review.




I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil