Castor's Tale Chapter 1 Part 2 - The Brawl and Visitor

by Messenger

“Aren’t you a little old to be tossing apples about?” Kalan asked, turning around and wiping the back of his neck off.

Castor muttered under her breath and glared at him. “What are you doing here Kalan?”

Kalan walked over to the bar and poured himself a mug of cider, saying: “Just getting a drink, Cast-her oil.” He sneered. “Or should I say Cast-her apple?” He smiled cruelly at her, tossing two coins in her hand.

She snatched them and thrust them into her jacket pocket. Her face turned red and she stepped up to him. “You shut up you little weasel.”

He looked up the two full inches between the two of them and took a swig of cider. “A little immature to be insultin' people in’t?”

She scoffed. “You come in here and mock my name, and then you turn around and say that!” She cocked her arm back. "I ought to-“

“Castor!” Miles hollered from inside the kitchen.

She hesitated, half-ready to pound Kalan into the ground. “What is it?”

Miles stepped into the room, wiping away a curl of brown hair from his forehead. “Castor really?”

She mimicked him “‘Castor really?’ Be quiet Miles.”

Kalan stepped back, placing his mug on the bar. “I think I’ll be going now. I don’t care much to interfere with family quarrels.”

Castor spun on him. “You groveling coward!” She slammed her cleaning rag on the nearest table and stepped forward. “Get out now or I’ll belt you!” Her voice was raised and her hair was slightly messed up, but despite it all she was as beautiful as could be.

“You know,” Kalan said, “if you weren't such an angry person, you could find a man real fast.”

Before he could say another thing Castor sent him tumbling to the ground with a smashing blow. Miles stepped forward and grabbed Castor’s arm. “Come on Castor, stop it! This isn’t right.”

Castor was tensed and ready to pounce on Kalan, but what Miles said hit her. “Maybe it isn’t” she said in a quieter tone. Why am I doing this. He's just a kid . . . a calmer and probably smarter kid. Slowly she relaxed and Miles tentatively let go of her.

Kalan slowly stood up, shaking his head. “Well, well, well, you pack a punch I’ll admit. But you should never get me angry if you ain’t going to finish me.” He stepped forward and before Castor or Miles could react he swung his right fist right into Castor’s jaw.

Totally not expecting it, Castor flew back into Miles. He toppled back into the bar, knocking a cask of cider off of it. It plummeted and crashed to the ground, and Miles grimaced as he heard the snapping of wood and the splash of liquid. Then the kitchen workers shouting.

Kalan towered over Castor whose head was swimming like a school of fish, this way and that. “Don’t you ever do never 'gain . . . or you will seriously regret it in more ways than you think imaginable. “

With that he stomped out of the restaurant. Castor tried to stand once and crashed back down. Her jaw hammered and throbbed like nothing she had ever felt, but her heart raged like a wildfire.

Miles pushed himself up and started to run for the door, no doubt intent on pummeling Kalan.

“No, Miles, you would get demolished by him. He’s too big for you.”

Miles’s looked like a child, with the freckles and disheveled reddish-brown hair, and yet he had a determined face. He stopped near the door and turned around, hesitating. Finally he returned to Castor.

She let Miles pull her up and leaned back against the bar while he got some cold water and a cloth. He also had to explain to the workers. Or would he let her do that?

No, he’s too kind to blame me. She half walked half careened onto the nearest chair and sunk her head between her knees. Oh is Kalan asking for it!

“Here.”

Castor looked up and saw that Miles had a wooden bowl full of water and a grey cloth. He soaked the cloth and applied it gently to her jaw. She felt around with her tongue to make sure all her teeth were still intact. Satisfied that they were all still solidly in her gums, she took the cloth and soaked it again, then pressed it against her cheek, relishing in the temporary pain decrease.

Miles stood there looking concerned for her.

“Don’t worry I’ll be fine,” Castor said.

I . . . I can’t believe he did that!” Miles said, running a hand through his hair. “You’re a lady and he treats you like you were . . .”

Castor attempted a grin that came out more like a grimace. “Like a boy?”

“Yeah . . . but it isn’t right to treat boys like that either. That’s not what we’ve been taught. You really shouldn’t have struck him to begin with. Castor, why do you always get into trouble with Kalan? Ever since he moved here with his father you two have been fighting.It used to just be little things things since that pie accident, but now it’s escalating. Something big is going to happen.”

Castor groaned. “Please Miles, you sound just like Jeric does.”

“Is that bad? I mean what he taught us is right, isn’t it?”

Castor said nothing. She was slightly confused. Is it right? Is Miles right perhaps, that no one should be treated like that? But Kalan is an inconsiderate jerk. I mean he started it! She sighed which only made her jaw throb more.

Miles stood up. “I’ll go clean up that mess in the kitchen.”

Castor watched him leave the room, knowing that she should go help him. Come on get up! What’s your problem! Castor could here as the workers in the kitchen muttered angrily to Miles as he told the tale.

Castor looked out the open across the dust street. The blacksmith was built there. The owner, Kalan’s father, was pounding away at a horseshoe, sparks flying from the red-hot metal. And past the shanty where the forge, anvil, workbench, and grindstone were, inside the stable, Castor spotted Kalan.

She gingerly rubbed her jaw, anger bubbling in her once again. Forget what Jeric and Miles have said. Kalan is going to pay.

Her view was obscured for a moment by a woman dressed in a stunning white dress. Castor caught her breath at the woman’s beauty. She had flowing hair the color of sand, and held an air of confidence about her. A shorter man about the same age (twenty or so) walked in behind , dressed in a mottled grey-and-green cloak. His belt held two daggers and he had a longbow strapped to his back.

Castor quickly stood and hurried upstairs, placing the bowl and cloth on her bed stand. She re-brushed her hair quickly and walked back downstairs, determined to be a good hostess.

She smiled as she walked up to the couple who obviously were rather entranced with each other. “Hello, my name is Castor. I am afraid there was a small accident in our kitchens so I apologize for the wait. What would you like to have?”

The man looked up and smiled. “Hello, my name is Will and this is Alyss. We’d both like whatever is the best you’ve got.”

Castor nodded. “I’ll get to you as fast as I can.”

As she walked back to the kitchen she heard the man say to someone Castor had not seen, “If you take one more step towards my horse I’ll put an arrow through your spine.”

Castor spun around in time to see someone dart down the street. She glanced at the man named Will. But he and the woman named Alyss were already talking to each other once again in quiet tones. Now that is one dangerous person to have as an enemy.

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy is here. Don't mind me. Twill only be a short moment.

Nitpicks first, as usual!!

What are you doing here Kalan?”

Comma after "Kalan"

“You shut up you little weasel.”

Number one: The same word in one sentence, too close together. I would suggest eliminating one of the "you"
And you need a comma after "up"

“A little immature to be insultin' people in’t?”

Comma after "people"

but despite it all she was as beautiful as could be.

She is? Show us. Don't tell us. So far you have done an amazing job describing the scene and environment, but her description seems to be lacking. Unless you want us to paint our own image of her. Which is perfectly acceptable!! :D

She half walked half careened onto the nearest chair

Comma after "walked"

Is that bad? I mean what he taught us is right, isn’t it?”

Is or its?

Comments and whatnot...

Sooooo... my compliments are probably getting redundant now, so close together. :D But they will have to suffice.

Perfect pacing, perfect descriptions. Once again! Not that I was surprised, though. I expected it. Yup. I always expect nothing but the best from you, Messenger. Remember that in your next chapters. You don't want to let me down. :D

Just getting a drink, Cast-her oil.” He sneered. “Or should I say Cast-her apple?”

Can I punch him. Pweeeeaaasee??

If you take one more step towards my horse I’ll put an arrow through your spine.”

O_o No, you don't want him as an enemy. But definitely an ally. :D

So you have amazing characterization here. Your characters are very well defined by the little things. The threats. Like those above.
~Darth Timmyjake

lostthought wrote a review...

Hello again mess! Don't mind me. I'm just digging through your story to see what can be salvaged and what needs to be chunked.

Nitpicks

“Maybe it isn’t” she said in

Was it suppose to end? Yes? Where is the ending mark then? You need to fire it. It isn't showing up to work.

and before Castor or Miles could react he swung his right fist right into Castor’s jaw.

I don't know about you, but your punctuation has been lazing off. I mean, look at this! The comma after could react is missing!

fighting.It used

Hello, hello? *taps microphone* Is this thing on? Ah yes. Ahem. Let's get the space in after that period. Thank you.

Castor could here as

Why! I didn't know you can here people!

behind , dressed

Found the extra space! Silly space, you don't go there!

If you take one more step towards my horse I’ll put

Independent clause alert! Code comma, code comma. I believe you are to go after If you take one more step towards my horse

Castor, you shouldn't get in the fight! This guy works with a blacksmith. There is no way you can beat him, unless you win out of pure stubbornness. (I mean, you don't see weak blacksmiths, do you?)

There is Miles! Back from the milk, I see. Just don't go fighting for your sister now. She doesn't want you hurt.

Kalan, you jerk! You cannot punch a lady. That is against the rules. To jail with you! And I don't care if she hit you first!

Look, newcomers! The guy seems dangerous. Does anyone else think he isn't in a relationship with the woman because that would seem strange to me.

Well, hurry up and do your first edit on the other chapters! I shall be waiting eagerly!

-lost

Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! I'm baaccckkkk!

Okay, so now I'm really confused. Well, not totally confused. I really need to know how old everyone is! From what I've read, it seems like Kalan is a boy. And Castor seems like she's older, maybe around 13 or 14. So why would a boy pick a fight with a girl much older than him and vice versa? This is where those ages come in hand. I might believe this more if you told me that Castor and Kalan are both 13. If they're the same age, it would make sense that they'd be fighting. But if there's a huge age gap, I don't think it makes sense.

So the story is a bit slow right now. But I think that's only because you're still in the introductory phase. We're still getting to know Castor and Miles better and what their life is like. I can't wait to see what happens when the story picks up.

Alrighty then, I'm only the next chapter!

**Noelle**

Messenger says...

i keep on forgetting to add the age note! *shoots self* anyway, castor is 17 and kalan is a similar age . Miles is 15

Noelle says...

That's what I thought.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:23 am
Deifyance wrote a review...

Messenger! It's Deifyance here with a late review.

I'll review this first then the edited prologue after!

I'm beginning to really see your particular strengths and weaknesses as a writer through these short chapters. I'll start off with a bunch of stuff I liked any why!

You describe things well. Your write well. Your technique is good.

You have included a wide range of moods and scenes in these first few chapters. That's awesome. It gives promise of a more in depth book, an actual journey. You have grieving. You show the character in a low place, as well as a high place. We see her in her lowest of lows and highest of highs (so far) and we like her. You have shown us how strong willed she is through short semi-action scenes. This is all good and is the mark of a promising story teller.

Please be aware that an accomplished writer, Truby, has said that it takes a man "a life-time" to become a master story teller. So don't feel overwhelmed or like your not up to speed as others. Because you do in fact have lots of strengths within your writing.

But, I also see a few weaknesses. Your flawless attention on detailing and technique causes (what feels like) the characters to take the back-burner. What this means is that all though you describe the scene well, and you write the part perfectly, you fail at times to really portray your character. This is done through dialog, and sensory details that you tend to leave out. Weird quirks that the audience doesn't straight up notice, but rather pass undetected because they seem to natural.

I want to hear slang used. I don't want these kids using huge words that they probably wouldn't actually use. I want their emotions to be portrayed more through their filter on the world and not on the speech they make about how they are angry. (not saying your doing that) If any of this makes sense.

An example would be that an angry person might see someone do something and become furious over it, while someone who is more even tempered might simply look over it. Add personality to they way they look at the world around them. We all see the world differently. I want to see thar come through these characters.

You have a strong foundation of good characters. They are fundamentally different. If Castor is so hot-tempered then she probably wouldn't calm down in a split second after Miles says something. She might even throw him off her and storm off, hurting his feelings. Then she begins to feel like she is in a never ending cycle of anger and hurt. And we see that. Not through dialog, but by her actions and the way she see's the world.

I hope all of that made sense! If it didn't feel free to message me!

Cheers!

Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:25 am
Wolfi wrote a review...

Excellent! I really enjoyed your engaging first chapter about Castor. She seems like a very well-built character and I am excited to learn more about her. If you put aside a few places that could use a comma or two, I see little to frown upon. However, the odd parenthesis break was a little awkward. It should probably be reworded so that it flows a little nicer. It is, overall, a well-written start to a blooming story.

Messenger says...

thank you! Be sure to check out the prologue and chapter 1 part 1 on the right side of the screen. And if you'd like I will add you to my list of followers?

Wolfi says...

That would be great, thanks! I didn't realize there was a part one to this chapter until after I read this one... I'll be sure to read it!

Wolfi says...

Awwww! Look Messenger, it's my very first review that I ever wrote! Isn't it adorable?

Messenger says...

ahahahah you've gotten better :P

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:32 am
PeanutPhoebe wrote a review...

Ok, here I am to review, like I said. :) Sorry for not getting to it earlier. So, I liked it. To get the nasty grammar out of the way, I will say that I spotted a few errors. Small ones like quotation marks tho. I like to let the author find those rather than just plain out telling where they are. Also, some sentences were a bit awkward. For instance, putting in parentheses when it's not in first person point of view just seems to break up the flow. A few sentences also seemed to just be worded oddly. I do like the way you introduced Kalan, and didn't give all the info about him all at once. Also, Will and Alyss seem interesting. Don't know where you're going with any of those characters, or even if they're a major part of the story, but I like them. Great job, and keep going!

Sonder wrote a review...

Hey Mess! Griff here for an extremely short review!

Wow, I really enjoyed this. I really love the characters (and their names too ^-^) and the setting. Is this fantasy or medieval? I like it.
All I can think to say is that I would like a bit more of a lead it to the fight. It felt like it started too quickly, but that may just be my opinion. I would say to add more description before you jump into dialogue and action, but again, that's just me. I saw only a few minor grammatical problems that you could probably pick out in a reread. One sentence bothered me, but I love the rest:

He looked up (she was at least two inches taller than him although he was brawny and was very muscular from his blacksmith apprentice job) and took a swig of cider.

Parentheses for description is a lazy way of writing! Don't do it pleasepleaseplease! I know you know this, but SHOW, don't TELL. Incorporate this into your writing somewhere else. :)
Other than that, this was wonderful. I really loved your characters. I would say to develop them more, but I know you will in upcoming chapters, and explain more. :) Great job!

Keep writing and being AWESOME.

~GC

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:27 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Heya Messenger! Your ever loyal sage here to review for you...

In this chapter I have a lot less to say. This one is probably the best so far, and the best written! There were pretty few mistakes and nitpicks to find, and I really loved how you showed a bit more of Miles and the introduction of Kalan. It was nice to see Castor's hot-headedness escalate into a small fight and her being injured. We also get to see that Miles is someone who strongly follows what Jeric said is right, also leading us to believe that Castor has her doubts...

What I wanted to know was: why does Castor dislike Kalan? The way you wrote this leads me to believe that those two have had many squabbles in the past, and it would unlikely that when they moved in she immediately disliked him because of appearance only. Castor doesn't seem to dislike Kalan's father when she briefly mentioned him so it can't be a family thing either... which made me wonder what is it? Maybe when Miles is talking about the problems they have had in the past then perhaps he could mention the first one. Or when Castor says he started it she thinks back to when Kalan did something to her or whatever and since then it's always been one person trying to get revenge over the other. It must be something terribly worth all the arguing though. Good luck thinking of one :D

wiping the back of his neck off.

Were the apples wet? Why would he be wiping the back of his neck? Maybe, instead he should be rubbing the point where the apples had hit him on his neck, because it was a little bit sore or something.

what Miles said hit her

For a second after reading this I thought Miles had hit her. Because you used the word hit for its other meaning during a fight well, let's just say the reader could get easily confused. Perhaps a better choice would be what Miles said 'sunk in' or something like that.

Castor why do you always get into trouble with Kalan?

Comma after Castor.

Castor could here as the workers in the kitchen frustratingly listened to Miles tell the tale

This is a bit of an awkward sentence. And I think you mean 'hear' instead of hear. My rewrite of it is: Castor could hear the workers in the kitchen muttering angrily (I didn't really like the usage of frustratingly here so I changed it -- you don't have to) to themselves as Miles told them the tale.

Right, I didn't get this at all. All I understood was that a man came up to (who? Was he talking to the couple who just arrived? You should make that more clear) and threatened them. But you haven't mentioned a horse before? So maybe you should say the couple came, walking a horse with them or something. And because you said as soon as Castor spun round Will and Alyss were already talking quietly made me think they had ignored the threat altogether. So really, this whole section needs to be more clear and add in all the points I thought I missed because of it not being clear. Then it will be a good cliffhanger I think :D I wonder what Castor is going to do about it.

I absolutely loveeeee the name Alyss <3 You're good with choosing names. Anyways, let me know when you've posted again! And maybe try not to leave it till the last minute and give me a sagely-heart attack?

Deanie x

Messenger says...

Thank you Deanie! I shall try to not give you a heart attack next time but I had everything under control. I will hop on those nitpicks and be thinking of what made Kalan and Castor hate each other. Will and Alyss were cameo people I had to add which I will be taking out if and when I finish the book and try to get it published so I am not going to worry about that part.
And Castor is going to do something alright . . . .

~Messenger

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:06 am
Ventomology wrote a review...

Heyo, Messenger!
Anywho, before I get started, let's get rid of the nitpicks, shall we?
"She cocked her arm back. "I ought to-“ Forgot a quotation mark!
"He stepped forward and before Cator" Oh my gosh! I don't even need to say it.
Alrighty...
For technique, I want to say I'm disappointed, but there wasn't much of these things to critique last time, so I can't say that.
The first one is dialogue. Most people will imply a 'you' where possible, mostly in the imperative. Take this piece, for instance: "You better get out now or I’ll belt you!” Normally, we would just say, "Get out now or I'll belt you!"
Also, when Castor is insulting Kalan, the sentence she uses is a little oddly worded. “You are a snake that grovels in the dirt like the slimy coward that you are.” In order to emphasize the tension, one might make the sentences shorter. Like so: "You snake. You just grovel in the dirt like the slimy coward you are."
And then, for action, take the advise from right up there and use shorter sentences. This one especially, "Totally not expecting it, Castor flew back into Miles, who toppled back into the bar, knocking a cask of cider off of it" needs to be broken up. Personally, I'd break it right after Castor flies into Miles.
Something that I really liked about your technique, however, was the use of similes. Very nice.
And lastly, character and plot:
I'm still not sure where you're taking this, but there was a lot of new stuff brought in during this chapter. The way you introduced Kalan was PERFECT, as well. Many people would have mentioned their enmity with exposition, but not you! And I'm definitely intrigued by Will and Alyss.
Keep it up, and good luck with the contest!
-Bug

Messenger says...

Forgot to reply to you yesterday, but thank you so much for this review. It really helps me. I will hop on those nitpicks and work on the others things as well. Glad you liked the introduction to Kalan and I will let you know when chapter 2 is out. I shall try to finish the contest as winner

Ventomology says...

Oh, the hyperbole is making me swoon! Don't keep me waiting on week 4.
Ciao!

Messenger says...

hyperbole what?

Poetry comes alive to me through recitation.
— Natalie Merchant