Omega

by RoyalHighness

Hi, my name is Poppy Victoria Anna Maria Newman. But you can just call me Poppy. I’ve been in the support group for about six months now and it still isn’t helping, believe it or not. And I’m doing alright.

That’s how I introduce myself every week in the living room of my church group leader’s stuffy, 80-year-old-smelling house. I would tell you how I introduce myself outside of the support group but I don’t really talk much outside of the support group. Those words are usually the only words I ever utter throughout the week, unless something special happens.

My mom has convinced (brainwashed) my dad into believing the stupid thing helps. But it doesn’t. It never has. I don’t tell her that because that would mean actually speaking and actually speaking takes energy that I don’t have.

School is alright, I guess. I’m in all advanced classes but somehow, I still find every person that walks on the classroom floor unbearably unintelligent. Except for two people. My English teacher, Dr. Leicester—pronounced Lester, not Lice-ester, which is how the other nimrods pronounce it. And Lillian. But Lillian is gone. Excuse me for a second.

Dr. Leicester’s name is a pain to spell but I like Doc anyway. He gets why I don’t talk. He doesn’t pester pressed-her gesture me to speak up, to “get over it,” like everyone else does. I bet he’s been through something similar, but to ask him would mean actually speaking and actually speaking takes…well, you know.

Doc gives me busy work during the day to keep my mind off of things. Things. Excuse me for a second.

Doc lets me do whatever I want in his class, which is nice because doing whatever I want means doing actual work, whereas the idiots surrounding me just copy down whatever their fellow idiot writes. I like working. It…helps. Unlike support group. Support group makes you think and thinking makes you want to speak and speaking makes you want to do and I can’t do anything right now. Maybe not ever again.

“Poppy,” says a voice. Shattering splattering scattering my mindless thoughts. It’s my support group leader. She’s convinced, like my mom, that she’s making a difference but I can see right through her charade parade tirade. She was once a nincompoop like the rest of them. She says my usage of insults is my way of coping but really I’m just a bad person.

“Poppy, where are you right now?” I shift to tell her I’m here. Where else would I rather be than right here. With Lillian? That’s a joke.

“Poppy, why don’t you talk to us?” I look up through my bramble shamble ramble blonde hair to see eight other faces staring at mine. I see one in the corner who is actually kind of cute but probably intolerably stupid, like the rest of them. Their ignorant eyes beg me to enlighten them. Suddenly it dawns on me that maybe Lillian would want me to speak, for their sake. So they won’t die stupid. Like she did.

“Lillian Catherine Omega Johansen was my best friend and who can’t be best friends with a girl whose middle name is Omega—” Here, they laugh and I don’t because I’m not funny. I’m horrible. “She was…she was…”

“Poppy, I promise you we won’t get caught,” Lillian promises me. I toss my head back and let out a ripping laugh. I can’t help myself. Driving at the top of our lungs, tearing down the empty country road towards town, having nothing to do but drink whatever it is Lillian took from her parents’ basement, we took to freedom like a baby bird took to flying: too much, too quickly.

“AND SHE WILLLLLLLL BE LOOOOOOOOVED,” we screamed with Adam Levine, adding drunken laughter to the soundtrack when we felt it appropriate—and even when we didn’t.

I pulled off a back road to our favorite clearing. We stopped the truck, got out and laid in the bed, looking up at the sky. Lillian started drunk-talking about life and why we’re here and I tried to drink it in but found I was too full. I was too full. I was too full. I didn’t hear. I didn’t notice.

Driving back was quiet. Weird.

The next day was quiet. My phone made no noise. Strange. Then: Jacob Pullman updated his status: “May the soul of Lillian Catherine Johansen rest in peace.”

My last thought was, Omega.

“My mom found me just in time,” I finished. No one was laughing now. “And that’s why I’m here.”

“Here, as in the support group?” asked the Cutie Patootie. No, I thought.

“No,” I said. I stood. “I mean why I’m here. On earth. To…to…” That night I thought I didn’t hear her…I had heard her, or at least I did now. Loud and clear: live.

“To live,” I whispered to no one.

I walked out of the room and down the street, to my home.

Gravity says...

This was basically the fault in our stars... not a big fan. sorry.

That's alright! :) this wasn't really meant to be a /story/, it was more like my own personal venting session about the death of my friend.
I loved TFIOS, so that's kind of a compliment!

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:38 am
Messenger wrote a review...

Messenger here to review for you, as begged :P

Hi, my name is Poppy Victoria Anna Maria Newman

I'll be back in a week from rehabilitation for Long-sentenced victims. :P JK

“Poppy,” says a voice. Shattering splattering scattering my mindless thoughts

You need some commas here Tiara :P

That's all the nitpicks I have. The rhyming running sentences were really interesting. After the first one I realized it wasn't a mistake and I think it really added character to the story, and to Poppy.

I think this is quite the interesting story, but I think you use all your ammo in this one chapter. I obviously have no idea where you plan to go with this so I wouldn't know, but it does seem that you already told the back-story, we already know how her best friend died, and we real know what she thinks of basically everything. But you may have lots in story for us so I don'r know.

One very good thing you did was define your characters Poppy, the other students,the teachers, and the parent.s They are all different. And Poppy is most interesting. I am actually really wondering if this will be like a redemptive story, and if it is I think you could pull it off. Just add some interesting characters, and maybe someone who will come alongside Poppy and help her.
Hope this helps!

~Messenger

The comma thing was a device used by Barbara Kingsolver in The Poisonwood Bible...I tried to use it, but I guess the meaning is lost.
I was trying to express Poppy's mental state, hence the lack of commas and sensory details. Her friend is /dead,/ so she's more concerned about how sad she is than how sensible she sounds.
But I get how that's confusing and I suck at time lapses.

Messenger says...

no i like the comma things. After I realized how it worked I think it goes well. keep using it.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:35 am
Kale wrote a review...

Hello. Here I am to give you a review~

Hi, my name is Poppy Victoria Anna Maria Newman.

This is a terrible first line because, not only is it a pretty boring and infodumpy way to start a story off, it's also an extremely common way to start a story, which makes it less interesting. The first sentence of your story needs to capture your reader's attention, and an extremely common story start does not.

Normally, I'd say to kill that sentence entirely, but the introduction does make sense in-context, so instead, a better way to start is by providing the context for Poppy's introduction. A little bit of starting description would go a long way in setting up the story and getting your reader's attention. Something as simple as "We're sitting in a circle in the stuffy living room of the church support group. Everyone looks at me, and I introduce myself." would go a long way in setting things up (but you'd want to find a better way to introduce the setting because that's a really rough example).

The lack of description throughout this is a pretty major issue as well, because it makes following the story quite difficult. There really isn't much transition between the past and present, and so they merge together into a very confusing jumble of dialogue. There's also very few sensory details, and a lot of telling instead of showing, which makes the story less engaging than it could be.

If you were to incorporate more descriptions, you could use those descriptions to set the tone for each of the scenes in this, such as a tone of plodding monotony in the present, drunken mania in those flashbacks, and numb shock in some of the others. Descriptions, sensory details in particular, really add a lot of relatability to a story because it allows the readers to clearly visualize exactly what is happening. This story needs that relatability if it's going to have a stronger emotional impact.

Another thing that would help make this more relatable is if you expanded on things a bit more by showing examples of those behaviors, such as Poppy's rarely talking. Adding in a scene where her parents comment on her lack of communication, and where her dad doubts the effectiveness of the counseling but backs down at her mother's insistence that it works, would more effectively show that Poppy rarely speaks and that she's being forced into these counseling sessions that aren't effective.

Basically, this story would really benefit from applying "show, don't tell" and incorporating transitions between the past and present.

Wow, that was really helpful! Thank you so much!

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:32 am
BluesClues wrote a review...

This is really good, and really powerful. The dialogue is natural and not overused, and Poppy's inner monologue gives us a nice idea of her character. She is (despite what she says) funny, though unintentionally and more bitingly or darkly than in a laugh-out-loud way; funny in a way that's appropriate for the subject matter. I also like that she introduces herself to us the way she introduces herself to the support group, which lets us know about her situation almost immediately.

I have one question, though, that you might want to clear up in the story, or at least hint more strongly at: how did Lillian die? Was it alcohol poisoning? That's what I get from what you have here, but I'm not quite sure, especially since--

Well, because Poppy says "driving back was quiet," which makes it sound like she drove back not realizing that Lillian was already dead or something. But then she says "my mom found me just in time," which makes it sound like she also had alcohol poisoning or whatever it was, which makes me wonder how she would've driven back--would remember anything about that night, actually, since alcohol poisoning is often accompanied by at least partial blackouts that erase whatever happened the night of the alcoholic episode.

But then if it's not alcohol poisoning, I'm totally in the dark about how Lillian died. You don't need to come out and state it straight to us, but it'd be nice if you hinted a little more concretely at the cause of Lillian's death.

Blue

Thank you for the review! You were spot on about Lillian's death. I never thought to specify for some reason...this was just something I had to get off my chest to help me cope. Thank you for taking the time!

BluesClues says...

You're welcome, and I hope writing did help you cope. It was a good piece.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.
— Chinese proverb