Blind - Chapter 2

by WillowPaw1

~~Sorry if these chapters are too short... They just feel like good stopping points. Thanks for reading!~~

I don't know if I sleep with my eyes open or closed, but it doesn't really matter. I'm blind, aren't I? Mother woke me up early this morning because we had to catch up on my English. She says I'm not doing too well.

She was a little mad this morning. And when she gets mad she yells at people, using their full names. She yelled at me today.

"Ember Rose Lawson!" She had cried while I was still asleep. I jolted up then and guessed Mother was in my room. I wasn't positive, though.

Mostly Mother homeschooles me because Father is at his office, doing work. His job is at a construction company, and he is one of the lower level bosses. I like going to the construction sites—which is very rare—and listening to the roaring noise of wrecking balls and drills and hammers. Father doesn't like when I go, though. He says it could be dangerous. But I always say,"I'm already blind. What else can happen to me?"

Now I was in the dining room table with my mother. She was explaining the differences between build and billed and your and you're. I didn't see why I'd need it much in life. It's not like I was going to be an author or something.

Later, after I had my snack, she was talking about history. History is my favorite subject in school. I like listening to the stories of his the presidents became presidents, or how the Declaration of Independance was established. History is very interesting.

Mother says I might go to a real school when I'm older. I don't like that idea. What if I get locked in a classroom, or maybe someone kidnaps me? It sounds scary. But Mother says I'll be even more used to blindness later.

I don't know what she meant by later. I'm ten, almost eleven now. Maybe it would be in two years, or maybe until highschool. I don't know.

When there was a free time to ask, I told my Mother,"Is blonde a color?" At this she laughed. I didn't see what was so funny, because she knew I was blind. How could she possibly know I knew what colors were?

"Yes, dear, blonde is a color. It is light and usually described as someone's hair color." Mother said. She was in a good mood now. When she's in a good mood I feel happy and safe but when she's not I feel grumpy. I don't really like being grumpy.

"Ember... I enrolled you into a very nice school for next year." Mother says quietly.

I felt dizzy and not good, and I say, "Mommy, I don't want to go. I really don't!"

Mother hugged me tightly and combed my hair with her fingers. "Don't worry. I promise it'll be okay. I'll explain it later, okay? I just thought you might want to know."

I felt my heart splitting apart, and when I spoke my voice cracked. "Okay."

I didn't want to go to school. It would be awful and I knew it.

***

The next day wasn't so good. It was Saturday which meant Father didn't have any work and that Jason, my brother, would be playing his video games.

Mother and Father were talking together in the kitchen. It was boring to listen to them so I decided to talk to Sheila who was my sister.

I made my way to the living room, brushing my hand along the wall like I usually do. "Sheila?" I asked, staring straight ahead.

"Mmm?" Sheila responded. I followed her voice, and sat down beside her on the soft couch we had. I wondered what color it was. I didn't ask.

I felt around Sheila's lap where she sets her book. Most likely she was reading, and I was right.

"What book?" I asked. I pulled my knees to my chest and hugged them, rocking back and forth.

"Oh? This?" I heard Sheila shuffle something, then she said,"Its a historical fiction book. You would like it."

My heart pounded. I wanted to read historical fiction. Sheila says its about made up characters who live a long time ago, in history. I think it sounds interesting.

"Sheila? What's school like?" I asked her all of a sudden.

Sheila sounded surprised when she said,"It's fantastic."

awesomeme4 wrote a review...

Hello! It's awesomeme4!
First of all, I love all the Blind chapters. Second of all, it's great to know that there's a good writer out there who is my age! (almost) Anyway, let's get to the review.

"Its a historical fiction book. You would like it."

"Its" should be "It's". Simple mistake. Everyone does it.

I wondered what color it was. I didn't ask.

Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this sentence. It's good. But to make it a GREAT sentence, trade the period for a comma, then add "but" after it. This is totally optional, but if I wrote this story, I would do this.

I really enjoy this story! It has great flow and amazing writing, all I see in a story. (except for the storyline, which is great, lol :) )

WillowPaw1 says...

Thank you for reviewing. Good reviews brighten my day! :)

Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:15 am
IAmMe wrote a review...

Hi, WillowPaw! :)

Okay, I've actually read all of the chapters, and I'd like to tell you that you've done a wonderful job so far. The characters and dialogue are realistic, and you have a very interesting storyline! I love your style of writing. The main character narrates the story in such an honest, plain way, and I think that's wonderful. But I have found a few possible mistakes throughout the story, so I'll just post them all here, since this is where most of them are.

In chapter one, you said, '...I am sure that white is the color I see when I look at the sun. But I can't be sure.' <-- You said sure twice, first that she is sure, and then that she can't be sure. Might want to fix that.
The transition between chapters one and two seems kind of odd, because in chapter one you're describing her life in general, and then suddenly you switch to a specific day in chapter two. I'm probably the only person who would notice something like that, so you probably don't need to change it,but I just felt like pointing it out. :)
In chapter two, you said, "Now I was in the dining room table with my mother." <-- You were in the table? How did that happen? :p
Also, "I like listening to the stories of his the presidents became presidents." <--Typo, I think.
And, "But Mother says I'll be even more used to blindness later." If she was born blind, wouldn't she already be used to it? Wouldn't it feel normal to her? She didn't have to adjust to something new.
Two paragraphs later, she told her mother a question. I'm pretty sure questions like to be asked. :3
The last sentence of that paragraph is kind of confusing. I don't know if that's what you meant to say, but it just confuses me.
In the next paragraph, "It is light and usually described as someone's hair color." I think you might want to rearrange your words there. This makes more sense: "...and is usually used to describe someone's hair." Because I don't think a color can describe a color, and also it doesn't really make sense to describe something with an example... At least, not in this case.
A little later on, Ember calls her mother "Mommy" for what I believe to be the first time. Not sure if that was intentional or not.
In chapter three, when describing the dinner scene, you first said that the dog was eating the scraps, but then you said you thought maybe she was.
In the next paragraph, you forgot the space in "at least."
And then, "His hand in placed on my back." <-- Typo
In chapter four, you spelled furiously wrong, and you said "where te refrigerator is located."
Also, it's Sunday again? I think you skipped, like, an entire week there.
And at the end of the chapter, you said, "I wondered if tomorrow Mother would talk to me about real school." But at the end of chapter three, you said she wanted to talk to her about it that day. I don't know if that ever happened.
In chapter five, you said, "My life had practically changed in two minutes!" <-- Pretty sure it did change, not just practically.
In chapter seven, "I did that for Elizabeth's too." Elizabeth's what?
And her mother beckoned her out. How would she know?
In chapter nine, if you change the name of a seeing dog, I think it might be confused. It might not realize when you're giving him a command, because he's used to his old name. But maybe I'm wrong, and they just listen for the command, not their name. I really don't know. But I do think he wouldn't recognize his new name immediately, if she's just calling him.
In chapter twelve, Ember "tried to leave the thought away"?
Other than that, you have to watch your tense consistency throughout the story. I noticed you switched back and fourth between past and future tense.

But, despite all my criticism, I actually love this story! Really :) It's a wonderful story. I'll definitely read the rest when you write more.

Keep it up,
~IAmMe

WillowPaw1 says...

Wow >.<
I didn't realize I had so many mistakes. Thanks for pointing them out. I'll fix them when I have the time. <3

Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:43 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

Ember is such a great name! :) I love it when people have "unusual" names in novels. You know, the ones you don't normally hear everyday.

I disagree with what Iggy said about Ember calling her parents Mother and Father. I think that's a great indication of how life is at home. Mother and Father can be just as intimate as Mom and Dad. Maybe her parents are just old schooled and want their kids to call them Mother and Father.

Okay, so the one thing that I think this story is lacking is descriptions. I was going to say something about how you should describe the other characters through their own eyes, like say how Mother always lets Ember feel her long hair that she says is brown. Something like that. But then when I thought about it, I realized that leaving out descriptions might be the best thing for this novel; especially since it's written in first person POV. Ember is blind. She's the one telling the story. She's the one that you want the readers to really relate to. So by keeping out the descriptions, you can really give the readers an inside look at her life. I think the best way to get the readers to relate with Ember is to leave them in the dark about what everything is like around her, literally and figuratively. Make the readers live life through her eyes. Make them see how hard it is to go through life blind, not being able to see brilliant colors that we all take for granted everyday.

I like going to the construction sites—which is very rare—and listening to the roaring noise of wrecking balls and drills and hammers.

Yes! I love this! Here you've used her sense of hearing to describe a place she likes to go. There's no explaining how Father tells her the trucks are big and there's rocks all over the place. It's a description directly from Ember. I like it :)

Alright then, onto Chapter 3!

**Noelle**

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:55 pm
Em101cats wrote a review...

Hi, this is Em101cats here with a review and an unrelated question.

Review - This chapter is great!!! But you still didn't explain what happened to the girl that caused her blindness. Could you do that please? I am dying to know! :) Other than this, I loved the chapter, and I am ignoring most of the errors because I do the very same thing a lot. Thanks for making this series, I love it!

Question - How do you change your avatar? Mostly everyone else I see has an avatar and I don't. How do you do that, and is it free?

Noelle says...

You can change your avatar by going to your settings. It's the button to the right of the home button on the banner on the top of the page. When you go to the settings, click on the profile tab. From there you will see a list of different options on the left side of the page. Click on 'edit avatar' and enjoy! And yes, the avatar is free.

Em101cats says...

Oh! I should have guessed that. What an idiot I am. Thanks SO much!

WillowPaw1 says...

Okay, first off, NICE AVATAR!
Second, thanks for the review. I know you've been waiting for what happened to her and I'll put it in in a bigge paragraph (it was mentioned at the very beginning but very briefly)

Em101cats says...

Oh it was mentioned? How could I miss that? Oh well. Thanks! And also, I think you have a nice avatar too :) I chose mine because I love cats.

WillowPaw1 says...

I can tell you love them ;)
Yes, it was very briefly. I just published chapter 4 with it in there%u2014you can read it if you want.

Em101cats says...

I just now read it AND reviewed it. Wanna check out the review? (I assure you, it's positive ;) )

WillowPaw1 says...

Just did, thanks a lot! :)

Em101cats says...

:)

Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:18 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Only grammatical nitpick I've found is when you tend to leave out a space between words, like so:

I feel dizzy and not good, and I say,"Mommy, I don't want to go. I really don't!"

Be sure you go through, find any and all of these mistakes, and fix them.

Moving on to the story itself:

1. Why does she call her parents Mother and Father? It's so formal. It's like they're detached, like she is respectful and a good daughter, but doesn't love them enough to call them something personal and intimate like Mom and Dad. This shows me that there might be a rift between their relationships so if this wasn't your goal, I suggest you fix it.

2. You end a lot of dialogue with periods. Where's the comma love? ;) Commas are okay to use more often than you'd think, you know!

3. I feel bad for Ember already! Going into a public school when you've been homeschooled doesn't count like much fun, especially if you're blind. This makes me wonder how she's gonna do this. How will it go? What will she do? I know she'll be put in the special ed class, but still. It'll be hard. But I wonder -- will she get a dog? Or a cane? Or something else? Hmmm.

Off to chapter three~

WillowPaw1 says...

Thank you... Again :)

So verily with the hardship, there is a relief, verily with the hardship, there is a relief.
— Quran Ch 94:5-6