You Don't Want Me in Your Attic

by 221

You Don’t Want Me in Your Attic

1

The lashes come quick and with force. One after another they hit me, and just when I think it is over, the whip hits again. The worst part about the whole situation is that I know I deserve it. This is my fault. I totally asked for this.

Of course, this isn't the first time I have had to go into "Correctional Therapy". Well, that is what they call it. Let me explain a bit more. They call it "Correctional Therapy" when they lead you into an all gray room with black accents and beat the shit out of you in various ways. They do this until they feel you have been sufficiently "put in your place". Then, they send you on your way. As I mentioned before, this is my fault, but it is also not the first time this has happened. (Hell, it’s probably not even the hundredth.) Let’s put it this way, I know how to get in trouble.

This time I defied orders, but before I am judged too harshly, I only defied orders because the orders were stupid. The Agency wanted no survivors, and I felt that children should be spared because they were innocent. So I saved the children. The kids are safe and I feel no regrets. I will always stand by this choice (even if I bleed out).

The whipping has stopped but now they intend to drown me. (They have run out ideas over the past couple of years.) Their method of drowning works this way: they tie you to the walls of a clear cylinder and fill it with water until you pass out, then they drain it, revive you, and repeat. I, as of right now am too tough to break, and they know it. They would love to be able to just do away with me, (I am a liability and a bitch) but they can't because they need me. I am the best they got. I am the best killer, fighter, and rebel in all of history, but I am not brainwashed like they wish I were.

I am twenty-five years old. I am an Agent, I am a fighter, I am a killer, I should be dead, and my name is 221. Allow me to explain what an Agent means. It means I am part of what is called "The Agency". Anyone in this Agency is a type of superhuman, commonly called Protectors. Now, I get how much of an moron that makes me sound, so I should tell you that we are a secret that not many people know about. A Protector was not designed in a lab, but is the product of the perfect gene combination. We are technically a different species but not really so I consider myself human (just more advanced). Our brains work differently, and our body is and more advanced. We are smarter, quicker, stronger, and other shit like that. Most even give up feelings of compassion, sorrow, sympathy, and other emotions by the time they graduate from their training.

I, on the other hand, chose to keep all my emotions, which is why the Board of Protection hates me so much. My emotions are known as my only weakness. I feel guilt and empathy, so I cannot kill as easily as they would like. I disagree; I feel that my emotions give me an advantage because I can act as a normal person (or as normal as I can get). Normality can get you just as far as abnormality when dealing with life, and sometimes a good mix of both can do wonders.

They begin strapping me to the inside of the tank, and then slowly they start filling it. My body becomes paralyzed as the water enters my lungs. I prepare my body and mind for endurance. Then, everything stops. I peek through the glass and I see the room in organized chaos (my favorite kind of chaos). I immediately break through the restraints right before the man conducting the torture takes a rod to the glass, and it shatters all over the black steel floor. “Get your things and any weapons you deem necessary,” Orders the Director, “You’re going on a mission”.

This means that the Agency has no clue what their next move is and they have exhausted all their resources. Whenever they put me up to a task it means they need the best to ensure no evidence will be left behind. They will need this particular execution done with great skill and precision, so they turn to me. I walk out of the room in a brisk pace, hands by my side.

They teleport me back to my fairly large house in the middle of nowhere Massachusetts, where I walk into the basement to the farthest wall. This particular wall is grey, and I place my ring finger on the small chip in the paint. A needle emerges and pricks my finger, allowing the processor in the wall to confirm that my DNA is really mine. The left corner of the wall opens up to reveal a large winding staircase leading into the ground. I walk all the way down the stairs, and then through the large steel doors at the bottom. I enter the large white and gray room and inhale. It smells wonderfully like metal and disinfectant.

“Welcome back,” Greets my computer system in a metallic voice. He does my research and regulates who comes in and who goes out. He also keeps inventory on all the things stored there. “Open drawer J31,” I commanded my computer. I pull out my black suit, it is full body and skin tight. It is made of an extremely thin and flexible metal. The whole thing is covered in a subtle repeating Xs. There are hundreds of places to hide sedatives, bullets, knives, paper clips, and anything else that is moderately dangerous. I start loading it up will all of these items and more. I am ensuring that anything that happens during this mission will be easily handled. I am always prepared. I swing my bow and arrows onto my back which is followed by a large gun. I pull on black combat boots, and put knives and a few more bullets into them (all I can say is that it’s a good thing I don’t have to go through an airport).

My computer breaks the silence by telling me that a file has been sent to me. “Open it,” I reply simply. I already knew that it was the information about the person I am to kill. This has always been the worst part of my job (to me anyway). This is the part where I have to read about the person’s life and look at their picture. This is the part where I realize that they are a real, living person who has people who care about them. Lucky me. I get to read about the life I am going to end. I turn to look at the information on one of the big computer monitors.

I am stunned to see the name on the screen. Laren Voxford. God no. Anybody but Laren Voxford. Of all people to kill. He was the only reason I was able to keep my mental stability during training. He helped me keep my sanity in tact, but unfortunately his deteriorated over the years. One Correctional Therapy session in particular pushed him over the edge when they began to draw blood. He ran from the room destroying everything in his path. I can still remember the horrible high pitched wails echoing through the building. They didn’t sound like the strong, trustworthy, and composed man I knew. It was those screams that showed me just how strong I have to be, because that could have been me. But it wasn’t.

The Agency hasn’t been able to find him since, even though he sent various threats, threatening to expose the Agency, of course (they weren’t overly worried because one in particular had a clause on an anteater metaphor). It looks like they finally found him. I knew that eventually they would and when they did and execution would be called for. I just never imagined I would be the one to do it.

I don’t want to kill him, but I know I have to. There really doesn’t seem like much of an option. With his threats becoming more frequent, and him having actual proof then it is necessary that I do what is best for everyone (except for Laren).  Honestly, he probably an entirely different person from the friend I remember (with losing his mind and all).

I might as well just read the rest of the file and see what Voxy has been up to during his “retirement”. Also, it will be helpful to think of ways to kill him before I find him (and where to find him). I scan over the file:

A GENCY

Name: Laren Voxford

Gender: male

Date of Birth: 01/07/2042

Age: 28

Blood Type: type B

Height: 5’10”

Weight: 160lbs

Shoe Size: 10.5

Eye Color: blue

Skin Tone: light-tan

Hair Color: brown

Identifying Markings: birthmark- left thigh

Education: college (art)

Occupation/s: artist/protector

I Q: 117

Agent Number: 204

Protection Ranking: 953/2157

Date of Training Graduation: 05/23/2062

Date of Secession: 04/16/2065

Reason of Secession: mental instability

Location: unknown

Updated Location: 52 Forest Dale Rd, Goshen Vermont

Mental Stability: low

Threat Status: high; category black

Current Status: execution required

Signature:

Fighting Description: Known for classic fighting; mostly physical strength. Preference to bare hand fighting as opposed to weapon usage. An average of 40% mission success rate.

Director’s Signature:

I still have no idea how to kill him. How am I suppose to kill a person who is not entirely “with it”? Out of all the years I have known him, I haven’t been able to see his mental downfall. At this point, I can’t imagine he has much to lose. I have killed many kinds of people, but never one of my best friends who happens to be out of his mind (honestly; anteater metaphor). Usually I can find a way to kill a person from the information The Agency gives me, but there isn’t much personal stuff in here. In a situation like this one, when I can’t find a weakness, I usually just go with the flow. I will go to his location and assess the situation when I get there.

I exit from the file and stand up. There is no need to write down the address, because I will remember. I take a deep breath before punching the address into the teleporter. I hear the familiar buzz of atoms being rearranged and I close my eyes.

I open them once again to find myself in the backyard of a cabin in the middle of nowhere (shocker, I am in Vermont. The most exciting place on earth). I turn around in a circle to assess my surroundings and I see nothing but trees, (once again, a huge shocker). At least there will be no witnesses to deal with (those are the worst). I look up and see a flash of movement in the window. The back of his head is to me, and he is painting a picture of what looks like a human heart (not bad, but kind of ironic). He is in the very top floor. It is probably the attic (super cliche for an art studio).

This is the worst. I sometimes sympathize with those Agents that gave up their emotions. I don’t want to do this, I really don’t. If there is anyway I could avoid this I would, but I just can’t seem to find a way. My heart sinks to my stomach knowing that I am losing a friend today. Well, it is time to pull my head out of my ass and get to business (thinking about it only makes it worse).

I walk to the side of the house and begin to jam the sharp finger tips of my suit into the wall. Using my boot to push me up and get some traction, I slowly begin scaling the wall. I have to be very silent because he may be crazy but he still has the hearing of an Agent. I climb through the window and realize I am standing directly behind him. I hold my breath in fear that he will hear me, but I stand there like a moron for like five minutes (honestly, I am the best killer in the world yet I can’t make my feet move). My heart falters when his voice fills the air.

“I know you’re here.”

Shit! What the hell should I say? At this point I might as well just say something stupid, because I already look like an idiot.

“I’m sorry, I just don’t know what to say. I haven’t seen you in forever.”

He turns around and looks almost shocked when he sees my face (probably didn’t expect it to be his friend who is here to kill him). He sighs and speaks again.

“You’re here to kill me, aren’t you?”

“No of course not!” I tried to say this with an offended tone (didn’t work).

“Please. 221 showing up unexpected in your attic never means anything good.”

He laughed slightly and I almost believe he is the same person I once knew (not a good idea 221...)

“Want a drink?”

Okay, it is definitely not a good idea to take a drink from the man you’re planning to kill.

“No thanks.”

“You can sit down, you know.” He said while motioning to the filthy couch. I sit on the stain riddled sofa (only slightly worried that a rat might bite my ass).

“If you aren’t here to kill me, then what did you come for?”

“Just visiting a friend.” God, why can’t I say something intelligent?

“Come on hun, we both know that’s not true.” There is a playful tone in his voice and he sits down a little bit too close. I know what he wants, I know his weakness (it might have taken me a while, but I got it).  

I lean forward and kiss him.

He seems shocked, but kisses me back after a second, proving that I was right (duh). He is so gentle I almost forget why I am kissing him.

I discreetly pull a knife out of the pocket on my hip and grasp it tight. I raise it to his back and stab him (again and again and again). I feel him suck his breath in while my knife is making contact with his back. He falls to the floor, and I put my foot to his chest forcing him flat on the ground.

He lies on the floor with my foot on his chest. I pull my black sword out of its place on my back and hold it over his heart (a sword will kill quicker than the knife, and make less more noise than a gun). I glance at his painting and then his face. I am reminded of what I am about to do. He stares up at me with glassy eyes. I can see that he knows I deceived him. I can see that he has given up, he knows how this will end. He gives me a slight head nod. This is what I was holding out for; the approval. I close my eyes, take a breath, and impale his heart with my sword.

I pull it out watching the blood crawl out of his chest and soak his shirt. It is done. I killed him. I don’t know why I am surprised. I knew I would do it. It had to be done. I wipe my sword on his couch cushions (what the hell, it was filthy already, and I put my sword back in its clasp and walk downstairs. I walk out the front door and wonder what to do next. I don’t really want to go home. Maybe I will try that new restaurant that just opened up (It has a lovely view of the county jail. I love the sound of prison chains while I eat).

2

It is only when the older waitress asks if I want anything else that I realize I have been glaring into my coffee for the past ten minutes (and glaring is an understatement more like eye murdering). “No” I reply after a short hesitation. I don’t exactly feel like dessert at the moment (which is totally weird, for me especially). I ask for the bill and take out my wallet.

“Hun, are you alright?” The woman asks as she hands me the receipt.

“Oh, um yeah I am fine.” She just raises an eyebrow at me and nods. I find it interesting that she isn’t pressing me for answers, is just that she doesn’t care enough to try or is my distress that obvious (I really hope she doesn’t care).

“If you feel like talking about it I have all night” (and….. she cares. I can’t believe I thought she would leave me alone.) I have to tell her something to avoid looking rude.

“No, really I am alright it just kind of hit me that I will never see my friend again.”

“Oh dear! I can't imaging how that would feel. Did they move away?”

“Um… something like that.” (okay so that was a complete lie but honestly, I can’t tell the truth).

“It might be hard but I am sure you will be able to see your friend again. You can always visit” (okay, this lady is useless).

“It isn’t that easy.” I say a bit harder than I had intended. I quickly put down the tip, step off of the stool, grab my wallet and walk out (I only slightly feel bad that I didn’t look at the lady or even bother remembering her name. She was annoying me.)

I had changed before I went out to eat so my suit and weapons are in a nearby motel room (I really hope they didn’t try to clean it). It is close enough to walk to and I am enjoying the cold  air. As I start getting colder I am pulled out of my daze and back into reality and reality is that I killed my friend. But then I realize that it isn’t just Laren that I’ve killed. I have killed probably close to two hundred (not all of them were my friends and most deserved it in one way or another). I shake it off, I had to do it right?

I open up the room door and it is dark and cold inside. My soul suddenly felt the same way. Is this what guilt feels like? I suppose it could also be regret. I shouldn’t feel this way, this isn’t how a killer reacts to the death of their victims. The curtain blows softly allowing gray moonlight to shine into an even grayer room. I sit down on the floor and hug my knees, I feel as if my skin is closing in on me and attempting to suffocate my soul. I actually think my soul would like that.

I can’t do anything, he is dead and he is going to stay dead. I usually have control over every situation but I think I lost that right when I killed my friend. I could always kill myself I suppose, but there isn’t much use in that. It isn’t like he will be waiting for me in the afterlife with an "apology accepted" cake. Although it does seem as if he willing me to die. 

I look towards the bottle of prescribed sleeping pills. They help with night terrors and paranoia. Maybe if I just took a few I could pass out for a while and wake up when this guilt is gone.

221 says...

Hey so my format is wicked off here because I copied and pasted it from word so it looks pretty terrible. I am still pretty new to this site so I really haven't learned how to use the fonts and stuff, I am completely lost.

I rewrote a lot of my story and I added a lot as well. This particular piece was turned into a short story for class even though it is suppose to be part of a larger book. I do understand that I kind of throw a lot of information at the reader in the first couple paragraphs. I have a reason for that though. The first being the fact that I needed to make it a short story so I wanted to make sure I could let the reader know what is going on and why 221 has to do the things she is asked to do. I also feel that she is the type of person to just tell people about herself really quickly so she doesn't have to waste her time.

I really worked hard on this story and am quite proud of it but I do know that it still needs work. It is obviously not perfect and has some plot holes. I am definitely going to continue to work on it and make it better. I am happy to answer any questions you have and comments are very welcome. I would love to know what everybody thinks of my piece and I hope you like it. constructive criticism is always welcome.

p.s this character is where I got my username from :)

IamTraunt says...

Don't worry about it 211 - its a good, thrilling story! I got my name from my book too ^^

Hi there 221! Niteowl here to review for the Mazarine Marauders this fine Review Day!

Overall, I think you have a very interesting premise here. There's a lot of interesting ideas going: an advanced race used to kill that is capable of giving up emotions (I'm intrigued as to how that works). I'm not quite sure what you're planning to do with this, but it'd be interesting to see.

However, I think you could present the story a bit better. It has a decent hook with the punishment, but then the character just goes on to explain her whole backstory. This is called "info-dumping" and doesn't really hook the reader. It's usually better to present the info as it's needed in the story so the reader doesn't get overwhelmed with exposition.

I suggest setting this aside and writing an opening scene that can show us some of these points. Perhaps she has to kill someone she feels is innocent, so you can show her empathy. You could show her fellow Protector judging her for this and maybe even turning her in to the Agency, where you can then show the torture instead of just talking about it. Try not to make it sound like she's aware there's some clueless stranger reading her words.

Also, a word of caution: This character sounds like she could be a bit too perfect. She's superhuman tough, yet filled with empathy, and she's exceptional among her race. This could lead your character into Mary Sue territory. A Mary Sue is a character who is generally flawless, super-unique, and loved by everybody, and as a result is not very interesting to read. To steer away from this, make your character have substantial flaws (e.g. not "oh she has a big nose" but rather something that could actually get in her way when dealing with life). Nobody's perfect, and your character shouldn't be either.

Overall, there's a lot of promise here, but I think you should flesh out your scenes more to show us important things instead of just telling us. Peace Love and Fahrvergnugen! :)

221 says...

I should start by apologizing for taking an eternity to reply to your review. I want to thank you for taking time to review my work, it was very helpful during editing. I have recently added some more of the first chapter and part of the second. hopefully if you read it your worries of a Mary Sue will be cleared up. I do understand that at the beginning I throw a crap load of information at the reader and all of it makes 221 look perfect (with saving children and all). She is not as great as she sounds though and I hope as I continue writing I can really show all of her issues (trust me there is a lot). I do understand that my writing needs to show more than tell and this is something I will definitely need to work on but for now I am kind of trying this piece. I have never written a book before so I am trying to feel around and get a bit more comfortable with it. Once I feel a bit more confident in the plot I will definitely be editing like crazy. Again I have to thank you from the bottom of my heart for reviewing, it honestly helps so much hear what other people think of my story. I am so glad you took the time to read it and I am very happy that you are interested in it. I do hope you continue reading and reviews are always welcome. :)

lostthought wrote a review...

Ok, this was an interesting tale. It's like an introduction to a character you are going to write about. Maybe you should write something where you show her, or his, past. This should be interesting. Let's review!

Nitpicks

1) Unnecessary numbers. The 221 part was necessary because it's a name. Unfortunately, you don't need the number for age. So this-

I am 25 years old
should be this-
I am twenty-five years old

2) Some missing commas. I noticed it here
Of course this isn't the first time I have had to go into "Correctional Therapy" well that is what they call it
A comma before 'well' should be fitting.

I saw no more nitpicks. The pace was nice and the details were just right. You didn't info dump on us but you also didn't steal away with a few details. I guess that she has no choice in her job because she was especially made for it. The only bad thing for her is that she kept her emotions and failed at her assassination. I would too, the poor children. I wonder what happened to them.

You detailed what it would be like in her position. A hope that the pain is over, only to have it relived. Kinda like that Greek story where that one guy was chained to a rock and had his liver eaten, only to have it grown back each day to repeat the process.

Keep writing and welcome to YWS,

-lost

221 says...

I am so very happy that you took the time to read my work as well as write a review. I love to hear that people are interested in my work and I love all the help that comes with reviews. I do apologize for taking so long to reply. I should also apologize for my grammar because it is honestly atrocious. I have recently had a friend work on editing with me so many of the grammar mistakes have been recently fixed. Again I am very glad that you have taken an interest in my story as well as my character because like any writer I become attached to the people I create and I get very exited when other people do as well. I really hope you continue reading and I am happy to answer any questions. reviews are of course always welcome and I am glad to receive any help with nitpicks because I am most definitely challenged in that area. Thank you for your review, it was very helpful. :)

lostthought says...

You scared me for a moment because I got the notif

211 reply to your review.

I read it as: 211 replies. I freaked out momentarily.

221 says...

LOL sorry for scaring you. :)

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:42 pm
IamTraunt wrote a review...

Hey! IamTruant!
I just have say... Wow. Your story is certainly interesting!!

Characters:
Your protagonist is very intriguing! My first thoughts were: a murder with sympathy. Wow!
This adds a really interesting twist to your story. I'm suspecting her job is a MUST to live as she is an agent and designed for the job, which collides with the fact she has sympathy for the ones she must murder. Sorry I'm babbling on, but I thought this is just so entertaining to read about! All though I wish you had gone into more detail, your chapter is short so it would be hard to cram it all in. I will have to wait and see in later chapters about your protagonist! :-)

I cannot comment on dialogue as there is none, but again - I'm sure there will be some in the next chapter.

Pace:
You have gone into detail about 221's job and how it effects her, so the paragraphs are interlinked, which is good. There is a nice, steady flow through out your chapter, so well done! A tip for future writing: try not to throw too much info at readers or they will get bored, but you did well with the information you gave out as I was interested all the way through, well done again :-)

So far, good job!!! I can't wait to read on!

221 says...

I do apologize for taking so long to reply I just feel terrible about totally going MIA. Thank you so much for taking the time to review and I am so glad that you have taken a liking to my story and I do hope you continue reading. If you do end up reading more of my story I will be more than happy to answer any questions and I try to always answer reviews even if I am a little late. I do need to work on not hurling information at my reader because I understand it can be a bit disorienting and a drag. I mean nobody wants to read a whole book of only facts about a person who doesn't exist. Again I must thank you profusely for taking time to read my story as well as write a review. I hope you do end up reading on and continue sharing any thoughts you might have on my piece. Once again I thank you. :)

IamTraunt says...

Hey, 211. Thank you for the reply! It was really long, I wasn't expecting that xD its nice to have someone appreciate my review. If you inform me when the next chapter comes out I will happily review. *follows*

221 says...

I am always happy to reply to reviews and other comments (I mean there is nothing better than talking to the people interested in your writing). I just updated what I had already wrote so the rest of chapter one is there and a little bit of chapter two is also there. I hope you like it!!! :)

IamTraunt says...

That's great! I will review soon :)

Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move. Doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.
— "Hamlet," William Shakespeare