12+

Claustrophobia

by Evander

This is called an Acrostic Poem.

Cupboards, closets, small rooms, and containers. All frightfully scary, I wish I wasn't afraid.

Leave me alone! I don't want to face my fear, please leave me, it is too scary. Please don't make me go in there!

About thirty minutes passed since you left me in here, this will not help me face me fear! I feel breath again my neck, please stop! I want to go!

Usually closed spaces scare me, and I have been locked in here for an hour. Get me out… Please...

Stress, stress. Walls closing in. Have they forgotten about me?

Takeout, takeout. I can smell takeout. How dare they mock me!

Rabbits, Rabbits. Did they feed my rabbits? Help!

Order in the court, Order in the court. This man has put his daughter in her bedroom closet, is he guilty?

Pretty red wood, pretty door handle, wait handle?

He would be mad if I opened it right? Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

Or he will hug me! I’m so confused. So Hungry… I could eat a piece of wood...

Barbecue, they are eating Barbecue? Going insane… help me

I open the door, and see a note and the floor next to a bag of takeout. It says, “Dear Raven, That wasn't so bad. Here is some takeout for your troubles. Dad,” I felt mad at him, but the thought of food took over my senses. I will talk to him about this!

Conquering Claustrophobia. No putting my fear in the back of my mind because of insanity. If I find out this happened to someone else, I will will be very angry. But first let me eat my Barbecue.

Disclaimer: This is Raven, I do not condone shoving people into closets, in hope that it will cure their Claustrophobia.

Rook wrote a review...

I haven't seen to many acrostic poems on here, so it was nice to see a change.
I think this has great potential, but I don't think you pulled it off fully. I understand that "claustrophobic" has a lot of letters that you had to fill, but I didn't really like the way you filled some of them. I felt like you started off strong, completely focused on the claustrophobia, but then you went into madness, and it just fell short for me. I usually don't like poems that deal with madness, because usually the poet has never dealt with real insanity, so the poems just feel fake to me. Maybe you have dealt with it, and in that case I take this back, but I don't like the craziness you put in here. It felt too.. happy and silly for the tone you set up in the first line.
I'm not quite sure what to suggest you fill the extra letters with, but I'm sure you can think of something.
I think it was just the takeout and the barbeque. It didn't have the dark tone that you started off with. If you want this to be a silly poem, start off with something silly! :D

The rest of this is just grammar nit-picks.

This is called a Acrostic Poem.

AN Acrostic Poem.

I want to go!.

There shouldn't be both a period and an exclamation mark there.

Usually closed spaces scare me, but I have been locked in here for an hour.

"Usually," is usually used as "most of the time," and when paired with "but" it means, "but not this time." I'd maybe change something here.

If I find out this happened to someone else, I will go mad!

This sentence doesn't make much sense to me at all.

I also noticed that you weren't always the same with your tense. Maybe go through and make sure that all the tenses are correct, as well as all other grammar. I didn't go into all the little comma etc. mistakes that I saw because I figured they might be a part of your style.

Other thank these things, I thought your poem was rather amusing ^-^

Great job, keep writing!
~fortis

Cailey wrote a review...

Hey! I think this is the poem you wanted me to read. Even if it isn't, I'm glad I found it! This is really interesting read and provokes a lot of emotions, which is a really good thing.

I have a few suggestions and comments, so here they are. First off I was wondering if you have a reason for the long lines? I think it's fine to experiment with the formatting and go against the norm, but I couldn't quite see why you chose to have so many long lines.

I think some of them fit really nicely, but there are some places where I think that it would fit nicely to have a line break at the same place where the speaker's thought changes. So maybe add a break after she smells the barbeque before you add the help me part.

Also, I would love some more detail when she does finally open the door. She should be more relieved to be out of the closet, maybe take a deep breath because now she finally feels more free or something? And would she really switch that easily to just want to eat the barbeque? It seems like an experience like that would have a bit of a lasting trauma, and it seems like she would be more upset with her father, or if she isn't then there should be some more reasoning behind why she isn't.

Anyway, I'm not sure if that all made sense, but I hope it did help at least some. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Keep Writing!

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:20 am
GreenTulip wrote a review...

HI, GreenTulip here to give you a review.

1. I love how you set up this poem. It's message is clear and precise and it would have been lost in a normal formatted poem.

2. In your author's note you state:

Disclaimer: This is Raven, I do not condone shoving please into closets, in hope that it will cure their Claustrophobia.

The bolded should be people.

3. It is interesting, how Claustrophobia is mental when you battle with it. I have Claustrophobia which pairs with a very insane fear of being touched by strangers. Not the best combination to have.

This is a a well written poem.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:12 am
thomasmkraus wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this poem. I think that the form of it was very unique, and I didn't recognize the style from anywhere before (which is a very good thing). This piece felt very mental and I think that the way that this was written is almost like a rant going on through the mind. It's someone talking to him/herself in a manic way. The thoughts are cycling - running a marathon - and it really makes the reader go insane reading through it. And that....

Is the best part.

The reader goes on a journey with you throughout this poem, following you down the rabbit hole without second thought or any chance of escape because you reel them in with your mental-rant voice throughout this. It's because from the beginning, you can tell that it's not a normal poetry form, nor a normal poem.

Good job, dear. Keep writing. I look forward to seeing more of this form from you. It's very intriguing.

Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other.
— Euripides