The 'blues' of traveling

by GreenTulip

Head against a pane of glass,
eyes staring vacantly at the countryside that passes by.
Corn fields, flowery fields, wheat fields, bean fields..
pass by, with the scars of the roads cutting between them.

White and yellow stripes racing across gray pavement.
Catching the eye, at random intervals.
Counting them as they go by...
One...two....three....four...
lose count, just to drift away from the lines.

Stretching in the seat, nothing seems to be normal,
people are asleep on the bus, middle of the day.

Silence is placed upon the ears of passengers-
except for the sound of passing wind.

Rattling stops, resounding thuds, echoing footsteps,
as people stomp down stairs, luggage hitting against the sides of the bus.

Curl into a ball, nothing else is needed.

Aley wrote a review...

Out of everything, I think this poem has a really good sense of place, and my favorite part of a line is "with the scars of the roads cutting between them," because of how descriptive it is and simple.

I think you do some good things in this poem, and some bad things. I'll start with the good things. I enjoy that you're using a lot of sensory detail, it really makes the poem come to life. Your use of "stretching" and "rattling" "thuds" these words really draw things to life, but they're all pretty near the end of the poem and clumped together.

I think you need to narrow this poem down a bit further. You start out talking about nature as though your narrator is outside, and then we get on the road. While this is very true to thoughts, we go from one place to another, as wind or observers, we need to narrow it down in poetry to one thing. This will help people stay in the moment more and read it easier.

You also need to clean this up quite a bit. You have a lot of useless phrases that get repeated quite frequently and, as you put it, make it boring to read. "that passes by" "they go by" "of the day" "at random intervals" "middle of the day" "silence is placed upon the ears" [really wordy for 'they hear just the white noise of'[which is also wordy, but less contradictory of your next statement]]
Out of all of them though, I think the most useless line is "Curl into a ball, nothing else is needed." To me, this says that the individual is either A) Not getting off the bus ever. 2) Isn't real. III) Doesn't follow the group. or D) Really doesn't mind getting yelled at.

Not only did this bus just take people to somewhere in the middle of nowhere, but it's letting people off when they have luggage there? The lack of physical description of where the bus has stopped really makes me wonder how this is something real, even though you have those great sensory descriptors in there which give us somewhere to be.

Moreover, I think that the use of so many different types of fields is a bit dramatic. I've driven across country plenty and we only really see one or two variations while we go. Sometimes it's sunflowers that season, other times it's corn and sunflowers, or just corn. I've seen wheat fields around here, and corn, and sunflowers, but never beans, wheat, sunflowers, and corn all in one drive. The places that mass-produce like that own too much land to really make it feasible in my opinion, and it's distracting from adding sensory detail about the wheat, or the hay, or the corn in the first stanza which could give you more sensory detail. Cows, cows interrupt a lot of fields most of the time and they have a very distinct smell you can take advantage of for a poem like this. Stretching reality, or simplifying it, should not be something you are afraid of doing in order to focus in on one thing.

I hope this helps,
Until next time.

GreenTulip says...

Hi.

Have you never been in the middle of Nebraska on an older highway system? ON these roads- there an over abundance of corn and beans and flower filled fields.

Aley says...

I've been across country on 80, 70, and 60, sometimes winding through the mountains and things. As I said though, your use of multiple fields is distracting because you could go into detail about one of them, capture the moment of looking at one, the smells, the sights, the feelings, anything to go past the sensory idea of this is a bean field. What if we've never seen a bean field? What if we've never seen a corn field? Tell us, in your own words, how it looks for that moment instead of, perhaps, even identifying what type of plant it is.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:34 am
Rurouni wrote a review...

Hia!

Shadow from the Poetry Exchange!

I'm here to review!

This was very interesting, and I really liked it!

I really liked

I really like the use of Scars.

I'd change or get rid of beans, it just almost break this beautiful picture in my head, perhaps corn? Cotton? But it depends on where this is, so if there are a lot of bean fields, keep it.

I didn't really understand:

One...two....three....four...

I don't understand the bolded, is the narrator looking away from the lines? Maybe you can make this easier to understand. I didn't understand, but it could just be me.

I also don't understand the last line. It seemed cut off to me, like there should have been more. This is jut me, and maybe its complete to you. But that's what I read.

Overall,

I love the use of your words such as;

Scars
Vacancy.

These were my favorite and I love how they were used.

I didn't like beans, as I discussed, and would love to see that changed.

But in the end I really love this poem.

It makes me think of long road trips across country, and it gives not only a calm feel, but a sad one as well. I hope this was your goal.

Poetry Exchange!

Always,

SW

racket wrote a review...

Racket is here to review your literature.

This is exactly what traveling is like, in my opinion, whether by car, bus train, airplane, this is exactly what it feels like. I love how you describe every part of traveling in your poem. The third-to-last and second-to-last stanzas are great at describing the sense of hearing, which is basically all I think about when traveling; how annoying everyone else is and the stuffy feeling in the air and weird air rush outside. My favorite line, especially, is this one:

...with the scars of the roads cutting between them.

Oh, that line is just perfect, the poetry in that just struck me. It perfectly explains what it is like driving out in the country with the strange paved roads in the middle of fields of sheep and cattle. My favorite stanza is most likely the first one, where you describe what your sense of sight is doing and all the beautiful sights you are seeing.

Curl into a ball, nothing else is needed.[/quotes]

That last line is what I usually end up doing on long drives; curling up into a ball trying to go to sleep and keep warm.

This is such a poetic way of putting things. It does seem as though something is forcing silence down on everyone; everyone seems to have to be quiet and there is that strange stuffy feeling in the air, as if there is not enough air!
The only literature-like problem I see is that every few lines the first word is not capitalized. I see what you are doing with the sentences and things, but in my experience, every line should be capitalized. You might want to look into that, but it is still fine if not fixed.
I do not see any other grammatical errors, nor any wording mistakes. This is a beautiful poem that perfectly describes traveling. Good work, I cannot wait to read and review your other literature!
~Racket

GreenTulip says...

Sorry, for that fact, but for me it's strange to do that. I wrote poetry very informally. So it turns out to be that way. It's not likely that I will change the habit, but oh well. It still gets the message across.

keatn says...

I love description. You vividly placed these images in my head. Traveling is this wonderful idea to me, and you made it that much better. It makes me want to run out and catch the earliest flight. I can see myself in all of the situations mentioned. This is truly spectacular.

Sophiewrites wrote a review...

Hello I thought I'd give you a short review!
I think you really managed to catch the blues of traveling, I remember myself leaning against windows of countless trains and buses. I really love the comparison with
,,pass by, with the scars of the roads cutting between them.''
Perfect phrasing: Humans destroying nature,leaving wounds which turn to scars.
One thing:
,,people are asleep of the bus, middle of the day.'' I think you meant to say in the bus here?
The ending is kind of surprising to me what does it have to do with the luggage you just mentioned? Maybe you could clear that up? Or it's just me being too tired...anyways I'd love to hear your explanation.

Regards,

sophiewrites

GreenTulip says...

It's just a small poem that I decided to write.

The typo was a typo. It should be on not of.

The fact with the second to last stanza is meant to just show what can happen at stops in which people get off.

If you have a dream, you have a duty to make it come true.
— Marco Pierre White