z

Young Writers Society



Red Ink Chapter 1

by nickpole


CHAPTER 1

The room was dark. The only source of light in it was the laptop screen. A teenage girl set in front of it, typing rapidly: “It will all be fine, you just have to wait, he will realize how wrong he was about you. I am sure he still loves you. You were made for each other.” The answer came immediately: “I am tired of waiting, Mary. I love him so much. I am crying now. Again.”

The person Mary was trying to soothe right now was her best school friend. She always shared all her negative emotions, which mostly concerned her shattered love, with Mary. Mary listened and tried to help, but that was basically the core of their friendship, nothing else held them together. And that troubled Mary a lot.

“Time to sleep”,-she thought, saying her good-byes to her friend and turning off her computer.-“I need to find myself a friend, a real one, someone I can trust. I am tired of listening to other peoples’ problems; I am not a trash can for their emotions.”

She lay in bed, dosing slowly into sleep, thinking that there must be something wrong with her. She could not make herself trust the people she called friends. And that, to her, seemed strange and wrong.

Suddenly she found herself walking down a long, dark corridor, there was no source of light for some time, but then she caught a glimpse of a faint light ahead of her. She continued to walk forward, hoping to find a source of it. As she walked on, the light grew brighter, until finally she reached a spacious room, lit with torches. It looked like a decoration from a historical film. High ceiling, stone arches, a stunningly beautiful pattern on the marble floor. Suddenly, a door opened on the other side of the room, and a considerably tall and thin cloaked figure entered.

“Who’s there?”-,she asked. She was not frightened, only strangely curious. The figure walked closer to her.

“I really thought you summoned me yourself, Emer.”-his voice was one of a fairly young man.

“I don’t think so. I do not even now you. In fact, that is not my name.”

“In this world, that is your name. You want to know who I am? What are you interested in? A name?”

“Well, anything that could give me a clue about why the hell am I here.”

“As you wish, my name is Vento, as for other clues concerning my identity; I really think you are smart enough to guess. By the way, you should really be careful about using those words, you know.”

“Guess? I haven’t even seen your face!”

“Fine, if you think this will help…”

The man lowered the hood of his cloak. He was quite handsome, from what she could tell, dark hair, blue green eyes, pronounced cheekbones. He was relatively young, but still at least 6 years older than her. And he was smiling at her. That is if you can call that freaky, devilish, evil grin a smile.

“You were right, that doesn’t really help. Who do you want me to think you are? A demon? Well, you do have the right name and the grin is nicely done. And the setting is also well-chosen. But other than that, you do not look too convincing.”

“You think so? But that really is who I am. A demon.”

“Really? And you said I called you myself? Why would I? I really thought I am on the side of the angels…”

“Well, you did want to find a friend…”

“Indeed, but I did not ask demons for help. I’d really prefer someone less powerful and evil.”

“And what if I have suddenly decided that I want to help someone, and you were lucky enough to be chosen?”

“Oh, really? You are supposed to be pure evil, why would to help? And me, of all people?! I really do not think I am that special.”

“And yet you are standing here, talking to me, you are not even scared. May be you are special?”

“No, I think you just want to trick me into something. My friendship is no use for you, and yet there must be something you can draw from it… You really wouldn’t bother if there was no obvious profit.”

“Listen, I really do want to help you. I am not exactly that pure evil you are talking about. I have an offer to make.”

“And what is it?”

“A friendship contract.”

“What?! That really reminds me of people selling souls to Satan.”

“That’s not it, would you please listen. All I would want from you is your trust and your loyalty…”

“Loyalty?! Trust?! One minute you tell me you are a demon, the next you are offering me to trust you and be loyal to you! Do you really think I will agree?!”

Yes, I do. Will you listen, please? I promise I will not try to lure you into anything! It would just be friendship. You really are not that completely human and vulnerable for me to use you for my own purposes without you sensing it.”

She was growing curiouser and curiouser with every minute. She still was not afraid. She wanted to hear what he had to say.

“Fine, I will listen.”

“Finally. Here you go.”

A piece of paper appeared from nowhere, drifting in midair. He continued his speech.

“This is our contract. Here is what I want from you: I want you to trust me. I want you to never betray me. That is all.”

A quill appeared instantly and scribbled those words on the contract with red ink.

“Now what do you want?”

“Me? The same, but I also want you to promise that you will not use me for your evil purposes. And I want this contract to be breakable, without any consequences for both of us. You will not share my secrets or use them against me. Except for if one of us chooses to end the friendship, we will part that instant and never see each other again.”

“That is smart and sound. So you agree?”

“Yes.”

The quill scribbled her words on the paper, too.

“Now we just have to sign it.”

He signed the paper. She hesitated.

“Can I really trust you?”

“Yes”

She made her decision. She signed the paper. A its copy appeared in her hands.

“You can keep that”

She compared the two papers. They were identical.

“Vento?”

“Yes?”

“And what is one of us breaks the rules?”

“The person dies.”

“Why do I trust him?!” - she thought. But she still could not sense danger.

“Till the next time, Emer.”-he said.

She began to fly back to where she came from. The piece of paper in her hands turned to sand and slipped through her fingers grain by grain. She was flying through the corridor now, and the light grew dimmer and dimmer, until it disappeared. She woke up.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 172

Donate
Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:27 pm
Laure says...



I think the two below me just pointed out all the mistakes, but this chapter has been very intriguing! Despite the progress between the demon and Emer, which seemed a tag too rush! Still! Keep on writing and welcome!




User avatar
508 Reviews


Points: 11170
Reviews: 508

Donate
Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:26 am
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...



Knight Dragon, here to review!

First off, welcome to YWS! Glad to see a new user getting their work up here.

Now, for the review.

Technical:

"A teenage girl set in front of it..."

Typo on your verb. "sat", not "set."

"The person Mary was trying to soothe right now was her best school friend."

I feel like this could perhaps be expressed better. Maybe it's just the "tell" that's bothering me, but I'm not sure.

"She always shared all her negative emotions, which mostly concerned her shattered love, with Mary."

Ambiguous pronoun reference with that first "she". This sentence needs some work, too, because that little "with Mary" on the end of the sentence felt tacked on when I first read it. By the time I'd gotten there, I felt like this was about Mary, and then that sentence made me stop and reevaluate everything.

"“Time to sleep”,-she thought, saying her good-byes to her friend and turning off her computer.-“I need to find myself a friend, a real one, someone I can trust. I am tired of listening to other peoples’ problems; I am not a trash can for their emotions.”"

The thoughts should be in italics, and the hyphens aren't necessary there.

"Suddenly she found herself walking down a long, dark corridor, there was no source of light for some time, but then she caught a glimpse of a faint light ahead of her."

Long sentence, and that second comma is a comma splice. Replace it with a period, capitalize accordingly, and that should help.

"It looked like a decoration from a historical film."

What is the "it" there? The torches? The room? If it's the room, then why does it look like a decoration? And if it's the torches, then why is it singular? That's a really ambiguous reference there.

"“Who’s there?”-,she asked."

Hyphen and comma unnecessary.
A note on dialogue. You don't need hyphens after character quotes. They just clutter up the story, and are redundant. The close quotes serves the exact same purpose, and gets the job done cleanly.

"-his voice was one..."

Hyphen needs to go, and then you need to capitalize "his." All other hyphens attached to dialogue will be ignored unless they're included in a succeeding quote.

"I don’t think so. I do not even now you."

The transition from conjunctions (don't) to spelled out (do not) struck me as odd here. You might have been going for effect, but what came across to me was character inconsistency. In natural speech, humans develop a pattern, or latch onto a phrase they like to use, at least until they discover a new phrase and move on. With contractions, they're easier, and once you get into that groove of using them, it's just easier to use them, and takes effort to go back to drawn out speech. So watch out for your consistency.

"...You want to know who I am? What are you interested in? A name?”"

That transitions really roughly from that first question to the second. I feel like I need some body language in between, some sort of pause so readers can process this. Who is this guy? Why does he seem to know there's a distinction between two worlds, and the fact that "Emer" wouldn't realize there was (or how they got there)?

Also, this is really starting to read like a script instead of a story. Not a bad thing, but I would definitely say that, even if you don't convert this to script, bring back the dialogue tags. They just disappear with this string of questions. This early on, readers need to feel comfortable, and if you drop the dialogue tags, at some point the reader has to go back and count lines to figure out whose talking. So please, adding at least two words (like "he said") goes a long way to shoring up your work.

"from what she could tell, dark hair, blue green eyes, pronounced cheekbones."

This is where you'd need a dash. Replace that first comma with a dash, and the sentence flows much better. Otherwise it stumbles over itself.

"As you wish, my name is Vento, as for other clues concerning my identity; I really think you are smart enough to guess."

Punctuation errors here. First comma needs to be a period. Second comma should probably be a period as well, since otherwise it's (a) a comma splice, and (b) a long sentence. Third, change the semi-colon to a comma. That helps that section flow really well.

"But that really is who I am. A demon."

Style recommendation: change the period to either a dash or a colon. Also, when I read that, the first thought that crossed my mind was "But I thought Emer was supposed to guess." It struck me as a little out of character for a demon that comes across as someone who's going to try very hard to run around in verbal circles and leave you more confused than when you started, yet suddenly he's dispelling the confusion? So either I'm reading his character wrong (which could be totally true), or you might want to work on his initial impression and description a little more.

"You are supposed to be pure evil, why would to help?"

This is where I note that I'm wanting contractions (i.e. "You are" to "You're"). It's been pinging my radar since that first noted difference, but here's why. Formal writing never uses contractions, so when you write a character's speech pattern that way, they come across as extremely formal, and can easily slip into a flat, distant, unrealistic feel. That's what I've arrived at with your Main Character here. She feels very distant and unnaturally objective in a situation that should be more emotionally charged than it is right now. Even if you don't want her to be freaking out in full panic mode, she should still show a little more emotion. Maybe it's just the fact that she's not using contractions that's throwing me off. I'm reading this, mentally editing the words into contractions, but wanting the contractions to actually be there instead.
Also, that's a comma splice. Change to a period, please.
Final thing(s). One, it might just be me, but that accusation of him being "pure" evil came across as a little cliche and even (perhaps) stereotypical. I guess I'm just wanting a little more originality than that. And you're missing a "you want" in the question.
Just realized the last thing (I promise!). The bolded and italicized "help" is unnecessary. I'd just drop it to italics, if that. Be careful how much formatting you do. It can hurt readers' eyes, and when that happens, they either turn critical or turn away.

"And yet you are standing here, talking to me, you are not even scared. May be you are special?"

That second comma is a comma splice. Please change to a period. And typo on "May be"; no space there.

"I am not exactly that pure evil you are talking about."

The phrase "exactly that pure evil" struck me ass odd. One, because I felt that the demon would outright deny it and say "I'm not that evil." Two, because if he's going to say "pure evil", then there should probably be quotation marks around it, since it's a direct quote.

"That’s not it, would you please listen."

Comma splice. Deleting the comma and move the period to its place. Then add a question mark to the vacated location (since "would you please listen" is a question).

"Yes, I do."

Neither bold nor italics help the sentence any there. Just let the words speak for themselves.

"She was growing curiouser and curiouser with every minute."

Maybe that's an intentional allusion to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but I'm not sure I'd recommend that. It struck me as off (especially since it's improper English), and I looked it up to make sure it was incorrect (which was how I came across the Alice reference). It's up to you for the final decision.

"She still was not afraid. She wanted to hear what he had to say."

This is the kind of internal emotion I've wanted to see the entire time, not the moment before she finally agrees to listen to the demon. There's no tension! You just threw in the necessary information right before it happened, and that leaves a lot to be desired. Sprinkle this throughout the piece, and build up to it.

"A its copy appeared in her hands."

Minor typo there. I'd say toss the "its" instead of the "a."

“You can keep that”

Another minor typo. You forgot your period.

"And what is one of us breaks the rules?"

Typo on "is" instead of "if", and I'd recommend deleting the "And". It detracts more than it helps right here.

"“Why do I trust him?!” - she thought. But she still could not sense danger"

Thoughts should be in italics. And right here I'm suddenly wondering where your Main Character's brain has gone. They've got buyer's remorse slapping them in the face, and yet they feel no danger? I'm really starting to agree with the demon that Emer isn't really human. No human reacts like that. That one thought would be where the doubts start breaking through, not "Oh, I could die at any second if I break the rules, but oh well, life's a bowl of cherries!"

I really think you'd benefit from layering this piece. That article is undergoing some renovation, but it should still be pretty helpful.

Hope that helps!




Random avatar

Points: 17243
Reviews: 328

Donate
Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:47 pm
View Likes
deleted30 wrote a review...



Welcome to YWS! Lucrezia here for a review.

This is a fantastic chapter, I must say. It's intriguing, to-the-point, holds the reader's interest, the descriptions are good... also a clever concept from what I can tell.

The only real faults I noticed were technical ones, which I'll point out now.

“Time to sleep”,-she thought, saying her good-byes to her friend and turning off her computer.-“I need to find myself a friend, a real one, someone I can trust. I am tired of listening to other peoples’ problems; I am not a trash can for their emotions.”


Since this is what she's thinking, and not speaking, I'd swap out the quotation marks for italics. An example:

'Time to sleep, she thought, saying her goodbyes to her friend and turning off her computer. I need to find myself a friend, a real one, someone I can trust. I'm tired of listening to other peoples’ problems; I am not a trash can for their emotions.'

“As you wish, my name is Vento, as for other clues concerning my identity; I really think you are smart enough to guess."


I think you should switch out the comma after "as you wish" for a period, rather than going right into "my name is Vento."

Also, the semicolon there doesn't belong. You could switch it out for a comma, but what I recommend are some dot-dot-dots instead. They're more fun and would give it a bit of a dramatic look.

Here's an example:

"As you wish. My name is Vento, and as for the other clues concerning my identity . . . I really think you're smart enough to guess."

“Oh, really? You are supposed to be pure evil, why would to help?"


I believe "to" should be "you."

A its copy appeared in her hands.


Either "a" or "its," not both.

“You can keep that”


You left out the punctuation at the end of this. Be careful to always add a period, exclamation point, question mark, et cetera when you end a bit of dialogue.

“And what is one of us breaks the rules?”


"Is" should be "if."

Okay, that's all! Besides for the typos and nitpicks, this is a really good start and I'm eager to read the next chapter. ^_^ Great work!




nickpole says...


Should have re-read it,sorry for all the mistakes. Thank you for the review!




Courage, my soul! Now learn to wield the weight of thine immortal shield...
— Andrew Marvell