z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Coffee, Grit, and my Dad's Best Shoes 1.1

by eldEr


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

Welp, I am actually still alive and writing, so I figured that I'd whiz by and post some stuff I've been working on. Slowly. Very, very slowly. The second scene of this is also being posted, if anyone's interested. Any reviews would be mucho appreciated (:

My thumb had been hovering over the call button for three and a half minutes, still showing no signs of pushing down. I cradled the phone in that hand, using the other to massage the stress-lines out of my forehead. It was just a phone call. This wasn't even the hard part.

This wasn't anywhere near the hard part.

I took a deep breath, hand dropping from my forehead to the counter top. I hit the call button.

Just an apology. A request to take him out for ice cream or a coffee so that we could catch up, and so that he'd know I meant it. Then we'd part ways, and probably proceed to never so much as look at one another again. I could work with that. I kind of wanted to slam my face against the nearest hard surface every time I saw him, anyway.

Two rings.

I could do this.

Four.

If they picked up the phone.

Five, and I almost snapped and shoved the phone back onto the hook. Told myself that they weren't home. Told my self that I'd try again later, and then never do it. I started to pull it away and everything, but a click and a rustle from the other end stopped me.

"Hello." Woman's voice, not a boy in his late teens. Exhausted, but I knew his mom, and that was- there wasn't much about that that was out of the ordinary. Her situation wasn't the greatest. She had a husband that, as far as the police were concerned, didn't even exist anymore, and they'd left her alone to manage a traumatized nine-year-old and a seventeen-year-old who had a hard time holding himself together for twenty-four hours. I got that, though. Twenty-four hours was a really, really long time.

I forced a weak, "Hi," past the lump in my throat, eyes wandering to the ceiling. I needed something to look at. "I- it's Parker. Heyton. I was wondering if- is Brazil home?"

There was a pause on the other end that stretched until my palms started sweating and my stomach churned. It dragged on for a little longer, and then, "Parker, you didn't- nobody told you?" Her voice crackled near the end, and an array of worst case scenarios burst through the Everything's Fine Dam.

"Told me what?" I asked. My voice wouldn't budge past a hoarse whisper. I'm sure that it wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't known him. But I had, and the only thing I could think of involved pills. Lots of them. A shoelace, maybe. I scrubbed my free hand over my face and squeezed my eyes shut again.

God, no.

"He's in the hospital."

Please, please no.

"He's been there for almost a month. I- I didn't even think to call you."

I hadn't made contact in three years, save for brief sparks of support when David went missing. I wouldn't have thought to call me, either. I swallowed. "What happened?" Hospital. That meant he was alive. I didn't know if alive was even a good thing at this point, but it was still better than the alternative.

"He was jumped," she said, voice scarcely above a whisper. "There was a car involved, but he doesn't- he doesn't remember much of it. At all. They think he- they think he will, but he's got so much pain medication in his system right now-" She broke off into a cold laugh. The sort of laugh that sounded like it was falling apart around the edges- a do-it-or-I'll-cry sort of thing.

Brazil Liu, boy of the gentle eye-smiles and peanut butter sandwiches had been jumped. That didn't even- "Mai, I- God. I'm sorry." I was fumbling and I knew it, groping around for something else to say. "Did they- fuck, did they at least catch whoever did it?"

"Yeah, yeah they found them. It was a quick trial." She chuckled again, but it broke in at least three different places.

I grit my teeth, trying to think past the pressure building behind my eyes. Granted, if I was going to cry about this, now'd be a good time to do it. I'd liked David. I'd liked his son, and his wife, and his daughter. For the love of God, his son'd been something akin to my best friend for all of several months, and I'd just. Totalled that. They didn't even have insurance packages for things like panic-induced friendship destruction. "I'm sorry," I said again. I was. I was so, so sorry.

I leaned my forehead against the cabinets, drumming my fingers against the counter top. "Mai?"

She sounded distracted, almost. All I got from her was an absent, "Hm?"

"I'd called for a reason, actually." A tear slipped. I didn't have the energy to lift a hand and wipe it away. "I was going to apologize to him, you know? Because I never- I never did that. And I- is he okay?"

There was another pause, and the line crackled when she sighed. "He's okay enough for that. Do you want the visiting hours? I have to get back there. I'm only home to throw my clothes in the wash."

I felt an extra pang of guilt. I was holding her up. Her son was in the hospital. She was probably so beyond done. She'd already been stretching it pretty close a couple years ago. "Yes please." Guilt pangs, sure, but they'd be a lot worse if I said no, it was fine, I didn't need the hours.

Another sigh, and then, "Alright."

I scribbled the four-to-seven hours onto the palm of my hand, said the most heartfelt goodbye I could muster, and hung up.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
39 Reviews


Points: 685
Reviews: 39

Donate
Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:14 pm
liveandbreathewords wrote a review...



I do not have many things to nitpick about.

The grammar was good; I didn't really find anything that needed fixing in that department.

When you start off the story, you start off with her already having waited three and a half minutes to call. Maybe have her start out with just getting prepared to do it, and then procrastinate, and then finally, unwillingly do it.

Also, she was saying that it was hard, but then she resolved herself to do it fairly quickly.

Maybe, when the phone is ringing, you could put a few extra doubts in her mind?

Well, that's about it! Good job, can't wait to read the rest of this story!




Isha says...


parker's a man





Good to know.



Random avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 5

Donate
Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:15 pm
ire123 wrote a review...



"My thumb had been hovering over the call button for three and a half minutes, still showing no signs of pushing down. I cradled the phone in that hand, using the other to massage the stress-lines out of my forehead. It was just a phone call. This wasn't even the hard part."

I think that for this beginning you should you should prolong the feelings of this being hard. Make the audience feel that whatever the main character is going through is hard. What she's trying to do, but can't. Don't tell us right off the back what that her hand is hovering over the call button, but lets us become interested and want to know. And instead of saying three and a half minutes, show us she is wasting time in a "showing" way.

"Just an apology." Awkward beginning. I think more should be added on to it.
""Hello." Woman's voice, not a boy in his late teens." Same with this one.

"Two rings.

I could do this.

Four.

If they picked up the phone." This could be elaborated on. When you say two rings, maybe she wants to back out. Show us her actions of wanting to not go through. But seeing as you have her say I can do this, she's nervous, but confident in herself to do what she plans. You might want to add sounds of the dial tone and her corresponding thoughts and actions towards it.

""Hello." Woman's voice, not a boy in his late teens. Exhausted, but I knew his mom, and that was- there wasn't much about that that was out of the ordinary." This can be redone.

"Her situation wasn't the greatest. She had a husband that, as far as the police were concerned, didn't even exist anymore, and they'd left her alone to manage a traumatized nine-year-old and a seventeen-year-old who had a hard time holding himself together for twenty-four hours. I got that, though. Twenty-four hours was a really, really long time. "

Think about what you put into your story and whether it is necessary. Do we need to know this right now and if we do I recommend telling us in showing ways. Throughout the conversation add the things that will tell the reader what you want us to know without having to say it. This would be by dialogue, and because the mother most likely has to deal with a lot of stuff let us conclude she's worn out through her speech patterns and verbal actions.

"Brazil Liu, boy of the gentle eye-smiles and peanut butter sandwiches had been jumped." You could have the main character recall some moment in their past that will show us why it's so odd he got jumped.

"I grit my teeth, trying to think past the pressure building behind my eyes. Granted, if I was going to cry about this, now'd be a good time to do it. I'd liked David. I'd liked his son, and his wife, and his daughter. For the love of God, his son'd been something akin to my best friend for all of several months, and I'd just. Totalled that. They didn't even have insurance packages for things like panic-induced friendship destruction. "I'm sorry," I said again. I was. I was so, so sorry." Now'd should be now would. Son should be son had. Tottaled should be totaled. I like this paragraph. It is well written.

Good job. And keep writing.




User avatar
463 Reviews


Points: 12208
Reviews: 463

Donate
Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:06 am
megsug wrote a review...



Hey Isha~
Here as requested! The other reviewers didn't find many nitpicks... I'll see what I can do~

So... I couldn't find much of anything either. There were a few sentences I didn't understand really.

Brazil Liu, boy of the gentle eye-smiles and peanut butter sandwiches had been jumped.

I've never heard "gentle eye-smiles" before. I have no idea what it's supposed to be saying. I also have a hard time lining up smiles and peanut butter sandwiches with a suicidal kid, but I'm assuming that's coming soon.

Granted, if I was going to cry about this, now'd be a good time to do it. I'd liked David.

So, seems like a bizarre time to be thinking about David here. As a reader who's just been introduced to these names, it's a bit of a curveball. Shouldn't he be thinking about Brazil?

Yeah... That's it. :3 It's a really solid first chapter. I wish I had more to give you. I'm intrigued. I like Parker. As Iggy said though, perhaps you'll want to add a little more imagery. We have no idea where this guy is right now.

Thanks for the good read~
On to 1.2! Hoorah~




Random avatar

Points: 17243
Reviews: 328

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:02 pm
View Likes
deleted30 wrote a review...



Hi there! Lucrezia here for a review, as requested.

This was amazing. As the reviewer before me said, the narrative voice was fantastic. I loved the vagueness of it, like an edge of mystery. And even though it was intentionally vague in parts, your character development was still so good! The MC is intriguing, as is the friend's mother. And you ended it in such a way that it left the reader wanting more—always a good thing. ;)

I have no nitpicks. Zero. So sadly, this is going to be rather short.

The pacing was perfect. The wording was great. Not to mention the emotion, of both the MC and Mai, which came through quite clearly and realistically.

Overall, awesome job. Keep up the good work! :D




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:22 am
Iggy wrote a review...



Hey Isha!

Told my self that I'd try again later,


Such a tiny nitpick, but that's one word. ;)


Okay, so -- great start! Generally no nitpicks, other than the fact that so many questions have been unanswered, but hey, I'm patient! (somewhat)

But seriously, Ishie, I think you have a good start going. You started off rather well, with the action starting already. We already know some details about Parker and her past. We'd love to know more, like for instance, why she needs to apologize, and why she took three years to do so, but I trust you'll tell us in good time, no? ;)

Overall, it was a nice beginning. Nice grammar for the most part. I suggest you try to weave some more imagery into it, because this piece fell rather flat when trying to create an image in my mind. Nice work!

Off to read 1.2~

-Iggy




User avatar
101 Reviews


Points: 654
Reviews: 101

Donate
Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:27 am
MysteryMe wrote a review...



Hey there!!! MysteryMe, here for a review ;).

Just want to say, I really enjoyed this piece. It was short, but extremely well written. I really like your writing style, it's very easy to read and has a nice flow to it. What really made this stand out to me was all the details you used. I could imagine this scene very well, which is always a good thing.

To be honest, I was slightly confused at some parts of this story, mainly because I don't think you made a couple things as clear as they should have been. For example, it would help if you clarified the narrator's relationship with the kid in the hospital a little more. As a reader, I really struggled with this vagueness of it, and that really took away from your piece.

As far as grammar and spelling goes, you did fairly well. I couldn't spot very many mistakes. The only thing I'd like to point out is the line, "Told my self that I'd try again later, and then never do it." The words 'my self' should be together as 'myself.' I'm pretty sure that was just a typo, though, so no harm done ;).

I really loved the voice you used for your narrator. It was very casual and realistic, and I could definitely hear just a normal, everyday person speaking like that. In first person point of view, that can be a hard thing to accomplish, but you nailed it.

There was this one part where you wrote, "Exhausted, but I knew his mom, and that was- there wasn't much about that that was out of the ordinary." I didn't really understand what you trying to say here, so trying to reword this would be nice.

Anyway, just want to say, great job! Keep writing!!! I hope this helped :D




Isha says...


The narrator's relationship with the kid is supposed to be vague. ;) It's all contained in one chapter, technically, so you've got lots of time to figure it out. But yeah, in the first part, it's pretty cryptic.

I'll take your nitpicks to heart and skim it over again. (: Thanks!




They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain