GemsWorld Quest Chapter 6: Hideous Dopplegänger

by TinkerTwaggy

I was floating aimlessly in a complete void. The silence was as loud as it could be, and nothing could possibly disrupt it. This ambient was very different from my own realm. I didn't felt...Home. This didn't seem like my own mind at all.

"Oh really? Then you'll have to get used to this place , because it's your home now!"

DG's voice was louder than usual. And I could now remember what happened.

"Hey! What did you do to me?"

He laughed.

"I simply switched my place with yours", he replied in a joyful tone.

"You WHAT?!"

A nightmare. This had to be a nightmare. Although I never experienced such a thing – or if I did I don't remember it at all, considering I was always sleeping pretty well –, it had to be one. I just couldn't picture what just happened.

"Sounds like you never realized what I really was."

"Of course I did! You're a bloody piece of my mind that suddenly decided to work on its own. And I lived with it ever since."

"You don't get it, do you? You're the one who created me. Your subconscious did, at least."

I stared at DG, agape. I... Created him? Why would I even do such a thing?

"Idiot. Haven't you realized how deep your mental scars really were?"

"You're the idiot! I have no mental scars. I managed to defend myself long before having any of those. And you were already there when I performed my drama tricks for the first time."

Once again, my Doppelgänger let out a cackle.

"I can't believe you tried so hard to be optimistic until now. Let me get this straight Dyrow: you are currently fifteen years old. During twelve years of your life, you've been insulted, beaten - even though you defended yourself pretty well - and almost persecuted for your physical appearance as well as the irrational and stupid fear you brought to the others.
"In the meantime, your dad was – and still is – almost nowhere to be found, traveling around the world in order to sell the product of his researches. Not to mention your mom, who's been constantly working too in order to help her husband. And even though she was present to educate you, you were always left alone."

I shrugged.

"I know this already. I must say I wasn't that much insulted after the first six years though. Basically, I managed to survive on my own. What's your point?"

"My point is, many children in your place would've been traumatized in the most hideous way. Yet you managed to stay yourself during the whole process, almost completely untouched by what was happening to you. And do you know why?"

"No, but I'm sure you desperately want to tell me. Please go on, I'm curious."

I actually had a pretty good idea why I wasn't affected by the others evil doings. That was something I was hiding to my mind shard: he didn't have access to all of my thoughts.

"Well," he continued, "simply because I am the one taking all the pain. You created me for the sole purpose of enduring your suffering, or at least minimize it as much as possible. I am the negative side of your personality, what you should have become if your mind hadn't split up. You are extremely cheerful and happy in general. I in the other hand, am extremely cynical and can joke with everything, even the most frightful subjects. You have no golden mean, and will never have one."

If my DoppleGänger expected me to react to his little speech, it was a waste of time: I remained as calm and insensible as I should be, because I already knew this piece of information. I asked myself many times why I could never cry or be generally affected by pain. And of course, I had the same supposition: that DG was the one... "absorbing" my pain. He was only confirming it.

"Oh really?" he said, still following my train of thoughts. "I am glad you had this hypothesis in mind the whole time. You're not completely blind after all. However there is one more thing you should know. As an alternate version of yourself, I have, just like you, the ability to evolve."

I frowned my eyebrows – or rather the mental image I had of them.

"The ability to evolve? That's what you used to bring me here?"

"Precisely. I am now a separate being from you. I am still you, but I developed my own spirit. We are drastically different. Now tell me Dyrow: what would be the only thing you would wish for in my position? After suffering for another spirit during years, enduring pain again and again... What would you want to do?"

Something was wrong, I could feel it. DG was indeed becoming different. He probably started to change his mind a long time ago, but I didn't realize it, which meant he could keep secrets for himself as well – that would explain why he wasn't answering me sometimes. As for his question, I didn't need to think twice about it.

"In your position, I would feel enslaved, doomed to suffer as long as my alternate self suffers. I would try to overcome it and become the controller of the body."

I suddenly froze in place. This wasn't good. Not good at all.

"Oh you're right, it's not good at all, because this is exactly what I want to do: take your body and make it my own. And in order to do this, I have to make you disappear."

I couldn't restrain myself from smiling. Indeed, only I would've think of such a horrid scheme. He was still similar to me after all. Except for one tiny detail...

"That's a nice plan you got there", I said, "but you forgot something, something that I too would've ignore in your position. You forgot how much we both can evolve."

He stopped smiling, now paying a sharp attention to my words.

"Explain."

"You have evolved in a horrid way, and that is because you have only absorbed pain. I'm the opposite. As you said, you're the negative, and I the positive. We need each other. Since your nature is similar to mine, if you get rid of me, the negative side of myself – you – will rule. But my mind will then become unbalanced. And what can compensate that?"

"...A positive version of myself. Another mind shard."

"Correct. And knowing myself, I don't think this new positive mind shard would like to absorb happy sentiments without truly enjoying them. He'll then trick you and take over the body. You don't know how he'll be able to do it, so you can't anticipate your downfall. He will be me, he will be you, thus he WILL find a way to take over just like you are now trying to do. And when he takes over, another negative side will try and overcome the body as well, and so on. Conclusion: this is an endless and meaningless war, and we need to stop it."

This time, DG seemed very upset.

"The worst part about this chit-chat is that your arguments are actually pretty accurate."

"You can simply say that I'm right. No need to thank me. Now explain me how to get out and everyone will be happy."

My Dopplegänger's glance became sharp, but in a very worrying way.

"What? You mean you can't go out by yourself?"

I didn't like this tone. I gave him an information I shouldn't have. And I had no idea how to correct this mistake. I decided to remain honest:

"What do you mean 'go out'? I just collapsed."

A gloomy smile appeared on DG's dark lips. I indeed threw myself in a bad situation.

"No. You assumed you collapsed. But you didn't, and you can't feel it. You are still awake, but I'm watching everything with your eyes."

Not that he mentioned it, I could vaguely feel my legs, and I was still holding my mace.

My conversations with DG were very fast, since we were thinking and not literally talking. Even our current chatting must have went on for several seconds only. And now I could feel something else: my legs were moving. But I wasn't the one moving them.

"I was right. You can't get out of your current position. Therefore, with the control I possess on the inner part of yourself, There's no guarantee that my new mind shard will be able to stop me or take over the body. And as it happens, I'm willing to take the risk."

For the first time ever, a Pumpkin Smile appeared on his face.

"First task: killing the troublesome girl."

A feeling of pure terror passed through me. Killing Crystial? Why would he need to do such a thing?

"I can answer that." he said while my legs were making another distant step. "I simply want your body to remain in pain. Pain became my fuel over the years. It is a need. And if I live with pain around me, I don't think the new mind shard – after your disappearance, that is – will be able to absorb any kind of happy emotion. I will therefore stay in control, and live life like I want to. And frankly it's also because I find her annoying."

He let out a cackle before adding in a mocking tone:

"Thrilling perspectives ahead."

So threatening Crystial's life was not enough, he also had to use my lines and turn them against me. Though I had to say, I would've done something similar. Couldn't blame him for being such a jerk. But I had to get out of here no matter what. If I could feel my legs, I could probably feel something else. It was my body after all!

I had to trigger sensations. Something that would remind me the world I lived in. I immediately created a mental image of the Scafy Corner, the pupils, the teacher. They were all here, smiling at me and laughing to my jokes. Yes, that was it! Pain had been DG's fuel. He managed to make it his power. I in the other hand, loved being dramatic and make others laugh. I needed happy memories to get out.

"Yeah, right. And you actually think I'm going to let you out after all my efforts? Pitiful."

I instantly felt some sort of pressure around me. It was...whispering to me.

"...Alone..." The voice whispered. "You are destined to stay alone... Emotionless. Empty. You are a hollow... A shell of a being... You are nothing..."

No. That wasn't true. I wasn't alone anymore. And ironically, DG was the one who allowed it. He helped me, and because of his help I became happier. In the weirdest and most vengeful way ever imagined by a child, yes, but happy still.

"Oh no. Shut your trap and stay where you are!"

I had to remember. Those laughs. Those rare smiles. My parents around me, giving me gifts and congratulating me. Their words. The way I felt about it.

"Stop! STOP THIS NOW!"

"You cannot harm me DG. You are a part of myself. And in a way, you are also a part of my happiness. We don't have to hate each other."

I couldn't help but smile at this thought.What idiot was crazy enough to immensely hate a part of his own self?

"Don't you dare try this on me! I am an embodiment of pain. And all because of YOU. The girl will pay for it, as well as everyone around you!"

Slowly but surely, I was regaining control of my body. But DG has already my mace raised above my head. He was about to hit Crystial in the face, and the Oryktia armor could not stop such a hit. I had to focus even more. I didn't want to lose Crystial. She certainly didn't deserve such a fate.

"And there goes your domination on the top, little girl!" said DG with my voice.

A formidable rage took over me. How could he use my voice? My lines? Act as if he was me, after being separated from my mind for so long? That anger gave me even more will.

"You bloody mind shard, get out of my body right now! I am the one and only master! I am Dyrow Wagate, and you are my hideous alternate self! Get out!"

Once again, I felt a violent headache strike me and everything became dark. When I finally "woke up", it was to witness a cloud of smoke around me.

My mace had already struck the ground.

MaryEvans wrote a review...

All right, here it goes:

Beware of pesky repetitions, they tend to sneak up unnoticed sometimes. Reading it out-loud helps to spot them.

“or if I did I don't remember it at all, considering I was always sleeping pretty well” unnecessary.

”Of course I did! You're a bloody piece of my mind that suddenly decided to work on its own. And I lived with it ever since.” – too expository, makes the dialogue sounds unnatural. I am sure you can find better ways to state this and still make it sound like something a character would say. Similar for the surrounding lines.

Here too: “You don't get it, do you? You're the one who created me. Your subconscious did, at least."” The last sentence isn’t really necessary.

“"Idiot. Haven't you realized how deep your mental scars really were?"” – same here. This is too straightforward. He wouldn't be so direct if he’s messing with the protagonist. He’d use more roundabout or “irritating” ways to say it.

You seem to have something going on plot-wise, and your prose isn’t bad, but the dialogue is often quite rigid. Since it constitutes most of the chapter, it’s something I would definitely advise looking into. Else rather than trying to make the prose sound sophisticated or whatever, go for natural. Things like: “correct this mistake” stand up as a different tone, when most of the text is like: “Couldn't blame him for being such a jerk.” See the contrast in the voice? If you were to keep it simple you would go for "fix this" rather than "correct the mistake." I think the problem here is you haven’t defined the character’s voice quite well yet. The only way to fix it, I’m afraid, is to keep and keep writing and revising, and trying to define his personality and generally get into his head.

So yeah overall this seems to hold together but you really need to work on the style and voice.

TinkerTwaggy says...

And there's another review I completely missed. Sorry!

So introduction of a new problem I have to deal with: repetitions. Thanks for the tip, and reading out-loud my help my pronunciation too anyway.

There are lots of little unnecessary thing Dyrow says or think that I only implement to make it feel real. Like, in real life, there are lots of thoughts that you can't really control and are not really necessary to your situation. And yet they're here. That's what I'm trying to do.

In DG's case the surrounding line is unnatural because DG himself is. I mean he doesn't have a real personality yet, no once again I tried to express it through the dialogues. Still need to work on that though, thanks for the tip.

As for the voice of the character/style part, that's another big issue I do have.
"The only way to fix it, I%u2019m afraid, is to keep and keep writing and revising" Yeah, pretty much. Thanks once again. So I should indeed experiment different styles of writings/narration, shouldn't I? I Haven't posted any here, but I'm trying to find something that would suit Dyrow.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:07 am
manisha wrote a review...

Hi there Tortwag!
This is going to be a short review as I have to get back to studying. I have an exam moro and the world cup is today :/
Alright, to the story.

I didn't felt...Home
I didn'tfeel...Home.

Haha! I knew this was going to happen! You've built the story really well to get to this point. I had been really looking forward to see how Dyrow was going to react to it. Though its kinda hard to see DG as evil. He was so funny and everything. I guess that just makes him more evil.

I just couldn't picture what just happened.
I think you can get rid of one of the 'just'. It sounds kinda odd.

I see that the whole chapter is a conversation between Dyrow and DG. But you also need to give description of how everything looks. Dyrow is floating in void, right? How does DG look to him? Or is it just his voice he can hear? Now that he has taken over how does DG feel.

"Well," he continued, "simply because I am the one taking all the pain. You created me for the sole purpose of enduring your suffering
I like this idea.

"Explain."

Isn't it kinda strange that Dyrow would let out his plan or whatever he plans to do? If I were him I would keep it a secret so that I wouldn't put DG on caution.

Ahhh...Nice ending!

Overall-
the flow of the coversation was good. DG's dialogues have a character for them-selves. I didn't pick out any grammatical mistakes. All in all, it was done very well. The only complaint I would have is that you not concentrate fully on the conversation between the two.
Otherwise, this was another great chapter!

Post the next one soon!

-manisha.

TinkerTwaggy says...

Good luck for your exam ;)

Oh you're right, I still have to correct a few things. Thanks for the tip.

Also, Dyrow isn't revealing any plan here. He just wants DG to realize that trying to overthrow Dyro wis useless, considering he'll eventually become the overthrown ruler himself someday and that it'll continue endlessly. Dyrow doesn't want war with DG at all, reason why he takes the time to explain everything.

Thanks :) Glad you liked it overall. The next chapter is already in though, so you can already check it out ;)

~Shell Master Tortwag~

The important thing is never to stop questioning.
— Albert Einstein