z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Days of Gold Gone By: Ep.Three

by Blackwood


Days of Gold Gone By: A Serial

Authors Note: I reccomend you read episode one for full understanding.

Episode Three: Hanging Ghosts

Under the moon my night grows younger. The sun bends around the earth so it can rise on the western horizon. Time pushes itself past me, much like the waves on the shore had crept up past my ankles, the water rushing itself forward so it appeared although I was moving into the ocean, backward to its flow. Unlike the ocean, where movement was an illusion, I am moving against time.

When I awake the world is still wrapped beneath the night sky. My ears immediately seek out sound; all is not silent. I hear voices, passing through both solid walls and rice-paper. Behind the hall is a puddle of light, drained from the other room, leaking in just enough so that I can see. I pull myself upright and throw the heavy blankets away from my legs. I cast on the lamp that sits on the far end of the desk. There is still nothing else on it save for the letter and the pair of glasses I had picked up after I had stood on them yesterday.

I pick a shard of the lens out of one of the frames; it has shattered into a form of curved triangle. Through it the printed 明 of my name on the envelope front is magnified. I place the shard back down on the frame and pick the square of paper back up, thinking about reading it again.

“Rest well, Akira.” I get a slight fright to see Kaho standing at the door frame, smiling at me. She walks in toward me and bites her lip. Without even asking she takes the envelope from between my fingers.

“I was told wait to give it to you until tonight.” She explains as she did so, “June asked me to give you this.” I am slightly disappointed that she had taken the letter. It seemed personal, but at the same time I am relieved that I have an excuse not to ponder over it any longer.

“No, we had them repaired again; you should really stop breaking them.” Kaho says as she moved her hand over to pick up the folded pair of glasses.

“It’s sharp!” I cry out in warning before I can stop myself. She does not falter but instead picks them in her palm.

“Your glasses.” She announces. She is going to take them away, just like the letter. I have no emotional attachment to them, nor do I see them in any light of significance, but I don’t want to let her have them simply because I want to rule my own future. I grab her hand and try to take them from her fingers.

“What are you doing?” Her voice sounds urgent. She does not expect me to force her, so I gain possession of them easily; dropping them into my pocket the instant I have them in my clasp.

I do not know what I expected, a break in fragment of the universe? Some sort of insane twist? But nothing happens. Kaho does not even seem alarmed. I wonder what thoughts are moving through her head.

“Nice trick...” She says hesitantly. She returns back to the door, I watch her go, my eyes set firmly on her presence.

“How do you know every time I’m coming?” She laughs, “I can never sneak up on you. Akira.” I smile back at her; it’s the first time I really have taken a good look at her without worrying about things beyond. Her face is round and her nose wide; it creases upward when she laughs. Her black hair sits beneath her ears and is unusually curled; set into a popular style that reminds me of the woman on the poster I had seen the day before. Kaho vanishes and I am left alone in the room with the dark corners.

~

What comes over me next is not something of intuition or respect. My actions come from a profound will and the desire to discover more. I wash away any guilt of my intentions on the justification that this is indeed my own room. On the far west wall there is a sliding cupboard; it is built indented into the wall, made of a thin screen for its door but the frame is carved in solid wood. My fingers fit roundly into its handle and when it slides it is smooth and silent.

Inside is a collection of clothes, some are hanging like long legless figures from the top of the wardrobe, while other fabrics are neatly folded onto a collection of vertical shelves. Overall the contents do not seem interesting at a glance. I place my hands gently on a pile of shirts; I can feel the buttons beneath my fingers, round and smooth. With a sudden wrench I heave the fabric out of its sanctuary and send it sprawling helplessly across the floor. I do the same with the next shelf, and the next; watching the malleable collection of fabrics flying and floating across the room is entertaining. I am a child.

My motives are not limited to simple destruction, I’m looking for something; secrets about my future. A flock of crumpled paper notes falls out of the next pile I throw. It is just money, nothing interesting. Once all the shelves have been evacuated I turn my attention to the hanging ghosts.

There are jackets and suits hanging at the far end, and in the centre is a dark blue yukata along with other ceremonial dress. What catches my eye hangs on the far end, tucked far behind so that it is barely noticeable. It is a dull green outfit, a shirt pressed neatly with no creases and a pair of trousers hanging folded over on the inside. On the hanger rests a hat that matches the clothing with a bright red band around its edge. I take it out and lay it down neatly on a clear space of floor. The collars are decorated with red stripes and the fabric, though looking undisturbed, is ragged around the sleeves and hem. Near the stomach of the shirt are a series forced of holes; the fabric around them is stained and discoloured, like a washed away brown. It reminds me of the exact clothes that the soldiers of the posters were wearing.

I look over my shoulder to the desk. From my new position crouched on the floor, my attention is drawn exactly level to the large bottom drawer. I shove myself backward, pulling it open. It cracks with the pain of old and broken joints. The white of a folded moons blink out at me between their brothers of brown and cream. The draw is full with paper of all variety. Most of it appears to be written documents, or more envelopes and letters, some of them yellowing, others ink-smudged from drops of rain, some scrawled hastily, and others printed fresh letters of a typewriter. Between the letters peers bright coloured shapes of origami figures and stray sheets of crafting paper. I pick one out; a green and complex looking frog, another is a bright red and beautifully folded elephant. I place them back delicately with the fear of damaging the craftsmanship. I try to wrap my mind around how they are constructed. For sure I could never make something like that.

A name on one of the letters catches my eye. June. This person had sent me more? I hungrily unfold it, expecting a flood of secrets to pass into my eyes. The paper is blank. As is the next and the next. From the outside they seem to contain words in full, I don’t understand why my desk is full with blank sheets.

Something comes across me. Those letters exist for some other alternate future, the one in which these people knew me. I could not read them because they were from my future; a future is not set, not written in stone. Even though it is a future that is a past, I had yet to live my future.

Yet what of the hanging ghosts in my wardrobe? The uniform was there. I did not know whose it was nor where it was from, but it had a history behind it. Perhaps some things were anchored, unavoidable; the only future that was unknown was the one I am to lay out for myself.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:32 pm
niteowl wrote a review...



Hello again! So I didn't have much to say about the last chapter, so I didn't bother commenting. But overall, I'm really liking this story.

The collars are decorated with red stripes and the fabric, though looking undisturbed, is ragged around the sleeves and hem. Near the stomach of the shirt are a series forced of holes; the fabric around them is stained and discoloured, like a washed away brown.


These sentences read really awkwardly to me. I'm not sure "though looking undisturbed" adds anything. Plus "series forced of holes" sounds like gibberish. I'm assuming these are bullet holes? If so, why not just say that? Or if you want to maintain mystery, "series of holes" would be fine.

Okay, so I just realized a big contradiction that I think needs addressing. Akira is walking through his own past essentially. This apparently means he can't read these letters because they are from his past (which is now his future). Yet he can still see the uniform, which I assume is from either his past or that of someone close to him. How can he see the uniform but not the letters?

Another relevant passage from Chapter Two:

The headlines read war and bombs, predict air raids, and criticize the enemy government. The articles do interest me, it seems it is a time of conflict, but what appeals to me the most are the dates and locations.

Shizouka, June 19.


The newspaper reports on things that have happened in the past, which is Akira's future. How can he read this but not the letters? Something to consider.

Overall, though, this is an excellent story and I'm officially hooked. Expect more reviews soon. :)




Blackwood says...


Yeah I don't know what I did about the letters. I sort of wrote that bit then forgot about it. Maybe I'll think of a random explanation in the future or maybe they truly are blank paper XD
I sort of forgot about this episode out of all the other ones so I'll take note to remember to incorporate those elements back in. (Prob in ep 10)



niteowl says...


Hm...well you did mention the letters in Chapter 6, but didn't do much with it.



User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 3149
Reviews: 47

Donate
Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:51 pm
SlushySlapped wrote a review...



HI YOU.

Slushy's here for a review. Haha. That rhymed. Anyway...

I'm not going to touch technical stuff. XD

Hmmm. I lied.

There is still nothing else on it #BF0040 ">save the letter and the pair of glasses I had picked up after I had stood on them yesterday.


Is 'save' supposed to be 'except'?

I really love your description and imagery. Well, let's be honest, I always do. You just capture it so beautifully. I feel like I am with the characters watching the scenes unfold. It's my favorite when stories can do that, especially since this is a series. Good job on this, Blackwood!

Keep Writing!

:D




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:53 pm
Iggy wrote a review...



Guess who.

Under the moon my night grows younger.


Missing a comma, dear! Can you guess where?

When I awake the world is still wrapped beneath the night sky.


See above note.

You do have a few more sentences missing commas, but I'd rather not point them all out. I suggest you go look for yourself and see if you can spot them!

Overall, I have no nitpicks. I really liked this piece, especially towards the end. Your use of metaphors and imagery was very nice to read; my favorite was when you referred to the solider suit as a hanging ghost. And the mysterious letters written by June or for June, but yet are blank? I'm loving the suspense! I can't wait to read more. :)

~Iggy




Blackwood says...


I disagree with your two quote examples XD Maybe the first one is plausible....
But thank you for the review anyway.



User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:04 pm
Messenger wrote a review...



the Messenger Knight here to review for KotGR.
first off lemme say Yay! for episode three, I am really enjoying this story.

Behind the hall is a puddle of light, drained from the other room, leaking in just enough so that I can see.

I love this line. Using the water metaphor in such a simple sentence really brings it to life. Very nice touch.

“I was told wait to give it to you until tonight.” She explained as she did so, “June asked me to give you this.” I am slightly disappointed that she had taken the letter. It seemed personal, but at the same time I was relieved that I had an excuse not to ponder over it any longer.

This paragraph is past tense while everything was present tense before.

made of a think screen as its door but the frame is carved wood.

Think? Do you mean thick?

watching the malleable collection of fabrics flying and floating across the room was entertaining.

This is another past tense line.

On the hanger rests a hat that matches the clothing with for a bright red band around its edge.

Mistake or typo I assume?

At the end I think you had a couple more errors, but I left them for others to find and point out.

So, overall I love this idea of the past colliding with the present and future. Sometimes it can be really confusing, and yet really exciting as well. But this chapter dragged for me. About halfway through I just was uninterested in what was happening. Nothing important seemed to happen other than him finding the uniform and blanks letters, but nothing enough to really grab my attention.
I'll be excited to see what episode 4 brings, but this chapter just didn't do it for me.
Keep it up!




Blackwood says...


"but I left them for others to find and point out."
Its not a game :/



TheMessenger says...


I understand, but I didn't want to overload you with with a ton of negativ stuff, and besides you might gt repetitive reviews pointing out all the little typos and stuff, so I figure it would be better if you just got them once . . . I don't know if that makes sense to you.




"Death is cheap, and so is life, but a reputation is not easily recovered."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi