z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Stroll Amidst Seasons

by WaitingForLife


"The beauty of being a writer lies in the finding of something magical in simple, day-to-day happenings."

-------

His up-drawn hood muffled the evening to a slow, soothing muddle. His footsteps, self taught to relative silence, he felt as tremors through his body, nothing more. It created the illusion that he was simply moving forward without the need to pace: a silent wanderer on an abandoned road.

Not abandoned as in forever, he corrected the thoughts that had shown him a sorry wreck of concrete paving, just abandoned for the day. There's no use for the roads meant for walking in the evening. The dark is easier to dispel with headlights and car noises, with a cradle of metal hurtling and rattling away, efficiently chopping away at the preternatural. Logic over matter, and all that.

His breath drew vapor from his mouth. He inhaled the crisp air, the promise of frost curling under his tongue and coloring his lips with a heart-felt smile. Autumn has a freshness to it, quite unlike Summer's smothering honey. He closed his eyes for a few beats of his heart, imagining the cool wind drawing taught the lines of his face. The tremors resonating from his legs suddenly took on a panicked note and irritated the lids of his eyes to open. He corrected his footfall distractedly.

The pavement lead slightly to the right, he noticed. His eyes found the seam where the road met tufts of browning grass; the approaching street light gently dispatched the darkness that lurked behind, by slow degrees uncovering the rugged line of water that swam under the reeds. He idly wondered what it would be like to lie in that stream, watching the stars flit above as time lost meaning and mud stuck to your back and water rolled around your head and fanned out your hair.

He passed the streetlight and a moment of absolute blackness overtook the space of a wing's flutter, the post's shadow lying across the gray, softly turning road. The tremors carried him forward, over the shadow and beyond the light of the street lamp. He watched his shadow perform a slow, intimate dance around his body, circling towards the light, leaving him alone with the growing grayness. His mouth twitched. It seemed his shadow had a straighter head than him.

The shadows grew closer, then edged away, step by step, only to be replaced by a new anticipation, a new patch of momentary blackness in the future. And every time he passed through the thin, long shadow of a pole, he felt the slight brush of excitement, as if something significant was about to happen. He caught himself after a couple of passes and glanced around him, embarrassed, but not sure why.

A flat plain on both sides. Dead wheat on the fields. The road-road, bisected by the dotted white line, bisected the field in turn. The silhouettes of trees looming in a ragged line where field met forest. The fabric of his hood rustled as he shook his head. He realized his steps had faltered. His hands found his pockets, there in the conjunction of two fields, as he tilted back his head. The stars shone down on him from amongst wisps of cloud. He couldn't see the moon. He assumed it was behind him, where he'd left it with his idle steps.

Whether it was a boon from the coldness or the lack of light, he didn't know, but the stars were out in numbers that evening. His roaming eyes found the Great Bear amongst the multitudes and he promised himself that he'd learn more of the constellations, as if he hadn't made this promise as many times as there were stars in the sky.

He wished he'd have the patience and awe to stare at the starry skies for hours. He wished for little, he realized, but his eyes found the gray asphalt before long and his feet carried him onward, onward, onward. The grays and the blacks cycled, again and again, until the road brought him to the edge of the fields. He had shrugged off his hood at some point, and was positioning it better on his shoulders when he looked back. There was a slight curve to the road, unnoticeable to the traveler, but evident atop the very slight rise at the end.

As he stood there, he wished for a breeze to dramatically ruffle his messy hair or for a flash of brilliance that brought some greater meaning to the stark beauty that was the evening. Now he saw the moon, a flick of wrist atop the road and the fields and the clouds; it was less impressive than he'd thought it would be. His sigh came out as a puff of vapor, his shoulders turning, the beat of his heels veering him right, home-bound.

He walked on soggy leaves mottled with yellow and red bruises. He walked in the light of the houses on either side of him. His shadow no longer danced, resorting now to a graceless shifting as he passed open window after open window. The stars were fading away, one by one, until he could only make out a handful of them against the dark sky. He didn't mind too much; he knew he only had to seek them in the traces of his foot-falls if he wished them back. Autumn was slowly worming its way through the fabric of his hoodie as he hit the final stretch.

The story came to him a few steps away from home, the opening words appearing out of a dusty corner of his mind, and he felt a familiar itch in his fingers. At that, he smiled, his eyes tracking a patch of clouds slowly edging along the dark line of trees. He ascended the three steps to the door and went in.

He closed the door and took off his shoes, kicking them away from middle of the walk-way. A small dog ran up to greet him, a bear the same size as she was tucked between her jaws, her body twisting furiously as her wagging tail threatened to throw her off course. He knelt down, ruffling her fur for a moment. No one else was yet home and the dog was properly ecstatic, bounding about his legs as he entered his room.

He stripped out of his hoodie and jeans, opting for the more comfortable bathrobe, and plopped down into his chair. A press of a button and a swig of water later, an open document lay before him, the blinking, blinking line emphasising the emptiness of the page. It had been a while since he'd last colored it in. His fingers fell into their old rhythm and a couple of keystrokes later he stared hard at the screen, frowning.

My hood

Blink.

Blink.

Blink.

No, he didn't want this to be affiliated to him, personally. He hit the backspace and started fresh, the clack of keys drowning out the boring, blinking line.

His up-drawn hood muffled the evening into a slow, soothing muddle.

Much better, he thought, and I smiled.

-------


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
508 Reviews


Points: 11170
Reviews: 508

Donate
Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:23 am
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...



Knight Dragon, here to review!

Technical:

"His up-drawn hood muffled the..."

You've already started to lose me by "up-drawn". I know this isn't the normal way of saying things, and maybe you're shooting for something more original, but the mental head-snap made me stop reading. I'm forcing myself past that point for the sake of review.

"Now he saw the moon, a flick of wrist atop the road and the fields and the clouds; it was less impressive than he'd thought it would be."

First, what does "a flick of wrist" even mean? How is the moon a flick of anything? Second, break these up into two sentences. It just flows better that way.

" A small dog ran up to greet him, a bear the same size as she was tucked between her jaws, her body twisting furiously as her wagging tail threatened to throw her off course."

That's a very long sentence, and pretty wordy as well. Please break it up or condense.

"No, he didn't want this to be affiliated to him, personally"

Really? The entire proceeding paragraph feels like you tying this to your own "personal space", and then "Much better, he thought, and I smiled." totally breaks that quote into tiny little pieces. It's also a very abrupt transition to first person, one I saw coming, but still felt the oddity of it.

Hope this helps!




User avatar
667 Reviews


Points: 11727
Reviews: 667

Donate
Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:39 pm
Messenger wrote a review...



The Knight Messenger here to review for KotGR.
Man, I loved that first line. It so perfectly describes a writer. Now, onto the review.

His footsteps, self taught to relative silence, he felt as tremors through his body, nothing more.

Is this a comma splice? I don't get this sentence. Also, the next one in that paragraph has a comma splice as well, I think.

He closed his eyes for a few beats of his heart, imagining the cool wind drawing taught the lines of his faces

I loved this line, with the part of the heartbeats, but I think you have an extra s on faces.

watching the stars flit above as time lost meaning and mud stuck to your back and water rolled around your head and fanned out your hair.


I really like this sentence but you see how many times you use "and". Maybe change "fanned" to fanning, therefore cutting out the need to have "and". Just a suggestion.

A flat plain on both sides. Dead wheat on the fields. The road-road,

First I have to ask what a road-road is, and secondly I love this paragraph with the short sentences, but I think if you put one or two longer sentences it would help flow to change things up. Once again, this is only a suggestion.

His roaming eyes found the Great Bear amongst the multitudes and he promised himself that he'd learn more of the constellations, as if he hadn't made this promise as many times as there were stars in the sky.

I love that line, especially since it brings the stars and the promise together. Nice touch.

wow, that was pretty epic. I wish I could write like this about such a simple thing. I should try it sometime, but anyway, I loved it. Nature is so cool isn't it? Overall this was a fantastic story, with great description, good metaphors, and more.
Keep it up!






Thanks for a class review. :)

The sentence's idea is that his footsteps, usually near-silent and now completely muffled by the hood, are silent to him, and the only way he can perceive them is through the tremors the act of his foot hitting concrete creates. It's not really a comma splice, but I think the next sentence might be one; I'll change it up just in case, thanks for pointing it out.

The multiple 'and's are intentional, a little something I like to put in some of my stories as an added affect of rolling on and on and on. ...If you get what I mean.

Oh, the road-road is the road meant for cars, and not the sidewalk. As I'd already called the sidewalk 'the road', I had to somehow differentiate between the two and came up with the slightly joking road-road.

Also, good suggestion, I'll try how it flows with longer sentences and see which one I prefer.

You should totally try something like this out, it's a great change of pace from usual writing and really challenges your descriptive vocabulary. In this piece I discovered how hard it is to keep talking about 'shadows' and 'darkness' and 'blackness' without it starting to sound repetitive and dull. And nature really is cool, and such a great fountain of inspiration - especially if you've been slacking off with writing for a while. :D

Good points you made, and thanks again!



TheMessenger says...


Hey, always glad to help, and your answers clear some things up. I understand about the "and"s, and I do do that sometimes. I am no going to try something like this, because that's how I am:D If I see something really good like this that I've never tried before, then I sometimes try it. If you want I'll send you a pm when I do post a short story like this, and since you like nature and such, you may like my poem called Sunsets, found in my portfolio.




Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato