Think Like A Dude

by Renard

Extract 1:

Dear Diary,

No. I don't want to put something that typical. And girly.

Dear Book. Huh... That just sounds dumb. Closer to what a guy would write though, I think. And that's my problem: I think too much. I've been told that girls overthink things. It's probably true, I know I think a lot... I'm babbling. Sorry.

If I could think like a guy, I imagine my life would be a lot simpler. No, that's not my way of saying I think all guys are simple - though it would be true in some cases, of boys I have met. I'm waffling again. You see, the real reason this internal monologue started is because I got dumped, by Josh. I hate Josh. I thought I loved him, but that was a long time ago. Well, a week ago. Look, let me start again - if you haven't already died of boredom.

Josh was perfect. He had this soft, shaggy blonde hair, and smooth lips, and eyes warm brown ones. He had a face and arms and legs and all the appropriate appendages. (God, I have made myself blush.) He was great, and he made me feel great. Until he dumped me.

I just sort of feel like, if we gave it a second chance, things could work this time. I asked my brother, Tommy about this. Not because he's an expert, or that I particularly want him to know about my love life, but because he is a boy. Therefore, logically, he should be able to help me. Right?

He said: "Sod the idiot. He doesn't care about you. His loss."

Not exactly what I was expecting, but I can't say that part of me didn't agree with him. A growing part actually. My other problem though, was as much as I tried to stop thinking about Josh, the more he seemed to enter into my thoughts. To the point, I would find myself bringing his name up in conversations, dreaming about him, looking at old photos of him.

It had to stop! So I decided to write this manic journal instead, as a way of venting this out of my system. I hope it works, because at the moment I feel like I am the only one in the world who has ever gone through such a horrible mess and I am hoping that I won't feel this way once I've told you about it. If you're still there. Are you?

Anyway, if you've chosen to stick with me, I'll write again soon and let you know about the latest Josh news. In the mean time, my mission is to think like a dude, or not think at all. (Hiding manic laughter.)

Thank you, dear reader.

Evie.

xxx

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:21 pm
Basilisk wrote a review...

This is just the sort of teenage "literature" I have only just been able to shake off. Your work has reminded me of everything I do not wish to know or wish to devote time to. Not only is the work idiotic it is also what I like to call 'first world bemoaning'. You are incredibly busy and contempt with focusing on trying to make others feel bad about things you have no knowledge on. Indeed, for a diary entry, this is so self-indulgent and self-aware and just all round meaningless.

I shall take extracts from this piece of writing to show exactly what I am hypothesising.

"Dear Book. Huh... That just sounds dumb. Closer to what a guy would write though, I think. And that's my problem: I think too much. I've been told that girls overthink things. It's probably true, I know I think a lot... I'm babbling. Sorry."

Your indecisiveness makes me want to walk around in a circle throwing darts at porcupines. No point adding these bits of conversational language if the character is talking to him/herself because that would be very worrying mentally speaking.

"It had to stop! So I decided to write this manic journal instead, as a way of venting this out of my system. I hope it works, because at the moment I feel like I am the only one in the world who has ever gone through such a horrible mess and I am hoping that I won't feel this way once I've told you about it. If you're still there. Are you?"

I am not still here darling. In fact I am on a different planet, or I'd rather be after meeting your character.

I remember glancing over to see you have made more entries, including a selection of pick-up lines. I am crossing my heart, hoping they are at least a little better than what I have just read. I can only hope.

I find this to be incredibly critical. Also, a little bit strange. If you know you hate this kind of work, why choose to read and review it? XD
Thanks for the review anyway. And welcome to YWS. :)

Messenger says...

Well I say welcome Basilisk, but I think you need to watch what you say in your reviews. Reviews are too help the writer advance his writing skills, and writing reviews in this manner doesn't help that.

First off, if you didn't like this I don't think you should have reviewed it. This seems more like your personal opinion on the thoughts in this work. While you certainly are not forced to agree with it, you need to tell the writer so in a gracious way.

You come across as thinking this piece of work is totally stupid ( I believe I saw the word idiotic in your review) that is a word that should not be used against the writer. That is powerful language, and i you want the writer to take you review into consideration then you need to write something that is going to give them a reason to change.

Writing a review that is just full of bashing the work won't do that. If anything you will get the writer to not listen to you if review them again.
Not to say that you shouldn't point out faults in a piece of works (that's what reviews are for) but you need to be careful that you are helping the writer, not hindering them.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:22 pm
ErinYount wrote a review...

Hi.

I liked your piece, definitely.
The first paragraph was a very good beginning, like a very personal conversation with someone. Brought an instant connection with the reader. The piece progressed nicely, but towards the last-third paragraph, the captivity of the piece somehow started deteriorating. It almost felt like there was this good thing beginning to happen to the piece, and bam! it is already near the end. You should probably have put-in some more stuff before there, and, you know, maybe let the reader off on easy.

The personal element, that sparked the connection with the reader was really the crisp factor of the piece. That couldn't have gone better.

Keep speaking your mind out!

-Erin

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:55 pm
WillowCutz wrote a review...

AWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really like this. Like a lot! It's so sweet and so true.

Sorry, entertaining entrance. Uhhhhhh....? HIYAH! Willow C. here, master over all of...uh...Mars? Yeah...Oh who cares! I loved this story and I'm going to review it!

The only issue I have with this is that the vocabulary gets a little sophisticated in some parts. (I don't do grammar, I do charactering) It is important to stay in character. This one is around 13-16 judging by her reaction to getting dumped. I, for one, when I am writing like to remain cool and loose. Evie, and I am just guessing here, doesn't write as much as either of us so therefore would not use words like "therefore" and such. My best guess is that she'll sound really scientific and technical and over thought in the beginning of this and then get less wordy and more just there. And know that makes no sense at all, but don't be afraid to sound like a kid writing this. Through grammar to the wind, use exaggeration and be willy-nilly.

This is a great story, please continue this. please. I don't see a LOT of good stories on this site (not to be mean, but everything sounds better when you are writing it.) THIS is a good story, so write it and love it.

PEACE OUT
~Willow C.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:50 pm
SaraiRayne wrote a review...

I didn't see any mistakes and this is a very intriguing story. I really like how the end says "Thank you, dear reader." it makes me feel like Evie is wanting somebody to read it and be apart of her life and also I actually do this (like the weirdo I am...). I think you did the teenage girl character well, considering I am a teenage girl. But in conclusion I loved it.

-SaraiRayne-

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:28 am
Renard says...

Hey Bloodink!

I don't have anything negative to say about this piece because it is amazing!

You have got something really unique and special with your idea here and I love the way it is written. I can really relate to the main character. I can't think of anything to criticise here. Your protag and her relationships and interactions are sooo natural. You have captured the teen-age perfectly. Good job.

Looking forward to reading your other stuff.

Yours in ink

~Bloodink

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:49 am
OceanGirl wrote a review...

Heyy Bloodink! SapphireFlames for the review and finally all exams got over today and yeah free..... so free! And I am extremely sorry to make you wait for the comments.

First of all I liked the title of you're story its cool and nice. The layout and the starting of the novel is also good its a really good idea.
The parts that I liked was "No. I don't want to put something that typical. And girly." ,

"Josh was perfect. He had this soft, shaggy blonde hair, and smooth lips, and eyes warm brown ones. He had a face and arms and legs and all the appropriate appendages. (God, I have made myself blush.) He was great, and he made me feel great. Until he dumped me."
I liked the way you have described the character.

And yeah the most important thing that I liked about you're chapter is you're writings are really realistic. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this work.

Anyway all the advice that I give you is just follow other's review on you're piece because its too late now I think I am the last one to review you're work!
I have nothing no actually point out in the chapter.

Anyway continue this good work!
Have a nice day Bloodink!
:)

Bloodink says...

Awww. Thank you for taking the time to review it for me anyway. Glad you liked it. :)

dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

I think the only piece of advice I could give would be to mix up the 'manic' a little. For example, most people say "maniacal laughter", not "manic laughter". "Manic" was just like a mental stubbing of the pinky toe after so many repetitions. But that might just be me.
Hope this helps!

Holysocks says...

Hey, it's Socks! This isn't a review, I just wanted to say that I love this, and wish I had thought of this, and wrote as well as you! XD

But anyways, I am heading over to your others... Now.

Bloodink says...

Wow, thank you. That's a really huge compliment. :)

Holysocks says...

Well, you sure earned it! :-D

ChangeTheWorld wrote a review...

Change here :)
Here goes nothing.

and eyes, warm brown ones

I'm pretty sure there should be that comma there.

To the point where I would find myself bringing his name up

I'm pretty sure this needs the "where" to make sense.

So I decided to write in this manic journal instead

Is this word missing?

So the comments above are just little nitpicks, whatever, they're not important. What is important is that I very much liked this piece. I'm a personal fan of referring to the audience as "you" throughout a work if it's done well. You did it well so good work. This was a great basis set up for a story, very easy to relate to, and she's quite teeangery in her feelings without being annoyingly over dramatic. So good job setting up her characters, as well as her brother even though he only had one line. Good length, good style. I'm going to go read the other parts now. :)
Change out!

Bloodink says...

Thanks for the corrections. Some of it was deliberate to try and create a more 'teen, informal' feel. But yeah, it is bad grammar. Lol. Thanks for the feedback. Glad you liked it. :)

No it's really not bad grammar at all, those things were minor. But I definitely got the informal feel you were going for.

Bloodink says...

Good. Thanks again for the feedback. xx :)

Joe wrote a review...

Hello its joe

Just something I thought you should know before I review. I never read romantic stories. Ever. But this one was different, kind of funny in a quirky way. Anyway I just want you to know that I really liked it.

Wow great story, I thought he was gay guy until the very end where it said her name "Evie".

Great writing too. I can feel your emotions(or at least I think I can).

My favourite part is the start
" Extract 1:

Dear Diary,

Dear Book. Huh... That just sounds dumb. Closer to what a guy would write though, I think. And that's my problem: I think too much. I've been told that girls overthink things. It's probably true, I know I think a lot... I'm babbling. Sorry."

You really captured how a guy would think.

Anyways great story

Keep writing

Jonathan wrote a review...

Well this was well written it had barley any problems, I suppose life can't seem unrealistic.

And well you may be right you may be wrong but my dad died when I was nine divorced to my mom and my step mom left right after it and two of my four brothers have never been nice to me ever sines. That is a bit of a peep at my life.

Anyways nice job with the writing it was good. :)

~Jonathan~

Bloodink says...

I am so sorry for you. That sounds horrible. It's awful to lose a parent. I will try and give Evie more problems later in the story to make it realistic. I just wanted to create something quite humorous, light-hearted as a break from the (sometimes) miserable harshness of real life. As a 'dude' I would be thankful if you had any more input on this work. xx :)

Jonathan says...

No way I though this was a real story about someone you knew. O>O

Bloodink says...

Ok well it is. Sort of. Me! Ever been dumped? It sucks! :(

Jonathan says...

Nah.

Bloodink says...

The best stories are true stories. You just play with the names and stuff, so you don't get sued. Lol! :)

LaughingHyena wrote a review...

This is a well-written and intriguing piece of writing, opening on a subject which is often written about (love and being rejected), but with a highly original twist. I have seen similar teenage-diary-type stories on writing websites, but they all seem to be somewhat similar in terms of language and emotion-this is written in a much less 'girly' fashion (as the character herself describes), and the character's personality is conveyed much more clearly. While I obviously can't tell what might be in the next diary entry, this has the beginning of a good, interesting and original story. Very well done indeed! :D

Bloodink says...

Aww, thanks for the positive comment LH. I will let you know when the next chapters are up if you like, and I hope I can surprise you with my ideas and hopefully, make you laugh too. thanks again. xx :)

No problem, looking forward to seeing the next entry! :D

Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there!

So I have to sat that the title intrigued me. It's very original and sounds like a good story is to be told here.

Overall I don't see anything wrong with this. Really. There's no spelling or grammar errors you need to fix. Good job with that. Your character is strong and you seem to be already diving into her feelings (obviously seeing as this is her diary and people write about their feelings in a diary). I hope to see you continue this in later chapters.

A note of caution when writing this story in diary form: tell us a story. Now I know you're probably thinking I'm stupid. Of course you're going to tell me a story, that's what makes this a novel. In the sense, yes you are right. This is a story regardless. But I really want to see is a story inside a story. There's the story of Evie thinking like a guy and writing in this diary about her and Josh. But what's going on in the world around her? What's she doing all this time when she's not writing in her diary? I've read plenty of books written in this form and they always have a good balance between feelings and story. I hope to see you tell us the story of Evie's life outside of her diary as well as her feelings. Just something to think about.

Let me know when the next chapter is out! And welcome to the site :)

**Noelle**

Bloodink says...

Thank you Noelle, I will bear that in mind. I suppose it is easy to get lost in focusing on just the one thing. I will weave the rest of the world into Evie's. Will let you know when the next chapter is up. Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated. :) xx

Bloodink says...

Hey! Know it hasn't been long, but the second instalment is up for reading! Please let me know what you think. :)

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:23 am
Dreamy wrote a review...

So, "Think like a dude" seems to be an really interesting story. A girl who wants to think like a dude. ;) That's totally cool.I like the way you have started it. She is a girl but she doesn't want to think like one. Ah, don't we all? :P And I also liked that she is actually having a conversation with her diary which is realistic. But you have ended it saying "Thank you, dear reader" so, does it mean that someone is reading it or she wants someone to read it. It is true that someone will read our diary in some point but making it too obvious doesn't seem to be good idea. I like the content and the out line of the story. And little bit of an introduction to this poem will help it's reader on what this story is really about. Other than that, this is very good. Keep writing!
Cheers!!! :)

Bloodink says...

Thank you, this is really helpful. Did wonder about that myself actually. Now I know to continue. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Bloodink says...

Hi, I have written the second chapter of Think Like a Dude, keeping in mind what you said. Please take a read and let me know what you think. xx :) ~ Bloodink

Dreamy says...

What? A poem? I called your story a poem? :P So dumb! Sorry for that.And I'm really glad that this was helpful. And I would love to have a look at your 2nd chapter. :)

I feel like if I was the mafia I’d leave a voicemail.
— Tuckster