​Mirror to Mind.

by SlushySlapped

There she is staring back at me,

with that wicked, cruel look in her demeanor.

The one telling me she is about to scream

how fucking ugly I turned out to be.

And I know it is coming, because she is

always there, repeating the same

thing over and over again.

“You are disgusting,” she says,

biting each word, incarcerating my heart,

ravaging my soul, completely tearing me apart.

I avoid her eyes, mine brimming with tears.

What can I say, when I know she is right?

My mind is always there, echoing the same

thing over and over again.

My head swells with fury, my hands clench for her throat.

I am ready to put an end to this mental affront.

I raise my fists up high, watching fear appear in her eyes,

I take my first hit, causing a crack in her face.

She is shaking for mercy, pleading to stay safe.

This time, however, it is my turn to begin twisting this

thing over and over again.

The mirror is shattered. She is completely broken.

She can no longer look back at me.

And I smile, basking in my triumph,

knuckles running a trail of crimson behind me, only to find,

she has somehow managed to hide in my mind.

Repeating, echoing, and twisting the same

thing over and over again.

umaima wrote a review...

Guess who's here?

Guess who's gonna a the review for you?

Yeah, it's me.

The one and only :P haha

Okay so HEY SLUSHY *screams with a high pitch voice*

Umaima here to give you a wonderful review ;) which even if you don't like you won't be able to avoid! (I know this is 18 plus so assume me as a 19 year old for today ;) )

So starting with the review,

Okay so due to the lack of time I am going to divide my review into three sections:
Positives, Negatives and then the overall view of the poem.

Positives:

Let's begin with the title, frankly speaking I thought that there couldn't be any better title than the one you have given to your piece! The title showed the correct understanding of the poem. Though when I read it I didn't think it was literally about a mirror (You can expect anything from a poem)

Your punctuation, grammar and formatting was absolutely perfect and even if there were a few mistakes (which I couldn't really pin pint) they weren't that big of a deal!

Negatives:

The plot, now the plot wasn't something very different from what we read usually (I have this one poem about the mirror in my literature reader too though it's a little different than this and I can guarantee this poem is much better than that, they still have a similarity!) (I am not really a good critique and this is the only thing I thought was a negative for your piece)

Conclusion:

This was overall a very nice poem. I enjoyed reading it and now I will become your portfolio stalker after my exams and read the other poems too (If any) And guess what? You can't get rid of me :P

Oh and I have to mention this, my favorite lines were:

:The mirror is shattered, she is completely broken,

she can no longer look back at me.

And I smile, basking in my triumph,

She has somehow managed to hide in my mind.

thing over and over again.:

Yeah I could have just said, I loved the last para the most but where's the fun in that? (Plus it's review day ;) )

Happy review day!

Once again, Umaima!

UMAIMA *screams back in high pitched voice* :D

Why are you so adorable? Haha. Thank you so much for this awesome review, Bubbles! And there would be no fun if you just said that! <3

dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Knight Dragon, here to review on this wonderful Review Day!

Technical:
"The one telling me she is about to scream,", delete the comma at the end of this line. You're separating thoughts that shouldn't be separated.

"My head swells with fury, my hands clench for her throat," grammatically the first comma shouldn't be one, but for this poem I think it's fine. However, with the second, you should change that to a period. It helps with the reading flow.

"The mirror is shattered, she is completely broken," this has the same issue as the previous one, but I don't like the first comma in this line. It feels too separate a thought to blend together with a comma. Delete both commas and make them periods.

Content:
Wow. I liked how you kept repeating "thing over and over again." at the end of every stanza. That worked really well. And I especially liked how you presented the conclusion of the climax (or rather the extension of it) in the last stanza. That was really well done. Good job, and keep it up!

Hope this helps!

PS-If you ever want to talk, I'm always available.

Ahh. I will change those!

Thank you so much for this great review! I'm glad you liked it! :D

KnightTeen wrote a review...

Hey, HT here to review!

Let me say that this feels real. It doesn't feel like the narrator isn't just saying this stuff to say it. You can tell that she really means what she is saying, and the sad thing is that I feel that many people can relate to this.

Now, there are a few things that I would like to mention.

How fuckingy I turned out to be.

Because you dropped the f-bomb, you need to raise the rating to an 18+ with a language warning. If you don't do it, one of the moderators will do it eventually.

Your break up your lines really well, and the stanzas are formed perfectly. Your use of punctuation is excellent. Your grammar is very good, and the content of this is amazing.

One last thing before I go, why is this in italics? I think that you are trying to place emphasis on it, but in my opinion it looks a little strange compared to the rest of the poem. I would recommend changing it.

Well, that's all I have to say!

Peace,
HT

Hi!

Oh, I had it before. I was changing the settings and I must have hit none on accident. Oops!

When I read through the poem, 'mind' comes out very harshly. I want the anger to be emphasized on that word, therefore it is in italics. :)

Thanks for your review!

No problem.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:47 pm
Messenger says...

This was well done. I have to say that the you are disgusting could refer to so many things in life, could even be replaced by others words such as loser, or weak, or lots of other things. It is so true that you can never escape your conscience.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:12 am
lyricalrebel wrote a review...

hi, lyricalrebel here to make a review of your work entitled Mirror to Mind.
At first I got confused with the title because I am the kind of person who wants the title to attract my attention and curiostity instantly but when I read your work to the last lines, I understood what it meant.
One word. Insecurity. That's what I think is conveyed in this piece. It shows the reality of the problems that a lot of teens deal with everyday of their lives. A lot of us thinks we're not cut out for things and I admit that I am one of them. I look in the mirror and all I see is an ugly girl. I love the flow of the poem especially the emotions. It's sort of morbid but it's beautiful. I like your poem. Keep up the good work! :)

Hi! Thanks for your review, hun! (This turned out to be super long, I know. But I really needed to say some things to you.)

Definitely insecurity. Not only teen girls, but many women believe this about themselves, especially nowadays. I've kind of dwindled back to this place myself. AND this is where I talk about you. (Yeah. I'm a speech giver.)

Sweetie, you are absolutely beautiful! You need to tell that to yourself everyday until you believe it's true. It's so hard, but so worth it! I hated myself, despised myself, more than anything. Every little piece of me. But I started doing that and eventually the way I viewed myself changed for the better. You, my dear, are certainly not ugly and not enough people tell you that you are beautiful. Because you are! :D

(Stop it. Stop that right there. Your mind is trying to intercept what I've told you and convince you otherwise. Right. Now. Let my words sink in! Take a deep breath and let your beauty sink in.)

Anyway, I tend to write poems more towards the morbid end. I'm glad you liked it! And thanks for your review, my dear!

:)

lyricalrebel says...

awww. .how sweet. .thank you :)

The sun can square up and fight me. Apollo is just another bi disaster, and I could take him.
— AlmostImmortal