z

Young Writers Society



Dawn of the Harlem Shake Zombies

by abelgaiya


This is just for fun, so don't lacerate the plot or the childish writing style.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

"Mr President! Mr President!" Agent K.Y called.

"What in the world is going on?" The United States President demanded as Agent K.Y barged into his office.
"I'll explain later when you're safely in the transport vehicle."
"Vehicle? Where are we going?"
"The U.N HQ sir." The agent held the president by his arm like he was a little boy being dragged to the dentist's.
"I demand to know why I'm being taken to the U.N!"
"Sir, there's a sudden global threat which you'll have to enlighten the world's leaders of. You will be told everything in the copter."
A group of Secret Service agents clad in black suits organizedly stood in front of seven helicopters, awaiting the arrival of the president.
The president arrived and was helped into the helicopter which was in between the six other helicopters. Schematically, the seven copters rose from the ground and began to fly West in a straight line.
"Mr President, are you familiar with the NSIDBR?" Agent K.Y asked while he pulled out a small computer tablet from the inner pocket of his suit.
"Of course. The National Scientific Institute of Dance and Biochemical Research."
"The institute had actuated a project which went haywire last month. A deadly virus was accidentally released into the population."
"My God!"
"Forty percent of the American population has been infected by the virus. An infected person becomes what is traditionally referred to as a zombie."
"My God! They are now mindless cannibals?!"
"No sir, they dance."
"Well that doesn't seem like much of a threat."
"They dance... The harlem shake."
"Ooh shiiit! This is worse than I thought. We're finished! We're done for!"
The agent gave the president two smacks on his two cheeks, "Sir, get a hold of yourself! The country needs you to be calm."
"Oh yes, yes," The president responded as he rubbed his red cheeks.
The entourage arrived above the U.N building, and only the president's copter descended onto the ground.
The president was led through the many scuttering reporters, jostling to get information from the president.
"Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention. Thank you. I call upon Professor Ryan Keystone, a researcher from the NSIDBR to enlighten us on the threat we face."
Two white-bearded men wearing white lab coats walked up to the platform. The older looking one grabbed the microphone and spoke.
"Ladies and gentlemen, I am Professor Ryan Keystone, and here with me is my associate Professor George Taylor. Now, if you look at the projected image up there on the wall, you shall see the form of the problematic new virus called Harleminthine Shactora or HS. The virus is transmitted by mere skin-to-skin contact-"
"This is because it leaves a segment of itself in the epidermis of the host's skin before it passes into the bloodstream. The virus rapidly obliterates all antibodies and then moves into the brain of the host." Professor George cut in.
Professor Ryan continued at Professor George's momentary pause, "The HS virus, amazingly in a matter of seconds, deactivates the cerebrum through a process which is still obscure to us."
"Then, it places itself as the cerebrum, an action which enables it to fully control the host's body movements." Professor George interrupted again.
Professor Ryan stared at him with annoyance written all over his face.
"Since the virus somehow adapted to human environment and adopted the harlem shake song and dance, it causes the host's hippocampus, thalamus and other memory processing brain parts to only process the harlem shake dance." Professor Ryan now interrupted Professor George.
"This means that the infected person dances the harlem shake and sings it without having control over what they do." Professor George concluded the speech.
Professor Ryan impulsively gazed and yelled at Professor George, "What is wrong with you?! Can't you let me finish a speech for once?"
"Why should I stand here while you take all the glory?" Professor George defended.
"But we agreed that I'd make the speech" Said Professor Ryan.
"I lied"
The president who was backstage whispered to agent K.Y who was beside him, "Oh it's on."
"Sir, I think you'd better go address the issue."
"Don't be a party pooper K.Y. It's not often that you get to watch two professors fight in front of world leaders."
Back on the stage, the professors Began to push each other. Security went on to intervene. The two professors were dragged off the stage.
The president walked to the microphone and said, "We thank Professor Ryan and Professor George for their splendid performance up here. I had my money on the George guy."
The murmurs increased at the president's speech.
To be continued...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 5634
Reviews: 27

Donate
Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:55 am
alanafiredancer wrote a review...



This is a very funny story, I love it! The way that you've made the Harleminthine Shactora Virus seem very plausible and believable, just adds that much more credential to your already short little story. I am studying viruses in school at the moment and I must say, that this totally sounds like a virus that exists and that I could be in danger of catching.
I only have a couple of grievances, although, that I must express. First is your line "Schematically, the seven copters rose from the ground and began to fly West in a straight line." I'm sure that you meant to use systematically there instead of schematically, as schematically refers to a diagram or drawing. A minor detail that is easy fixable. Another grievance of mine would be the president's reaction to the HS virus, and him saying "oh shiiit". This just kind of struck me as odd and a bit off as presidents are known for being well-mannered and sophisticated, while that bit of speech imposes anything but. However I do understand that he is freaking out and in fact I find his freak out very comical. So I don't know if you intentionally put that to showcase that the president was losing his mind, but it does really grate on me, because to me, even if the president did freak out I wouldn't picture him resorting to that kind of language. That is all. Other than that, loved it!




abelgaiya says...


Thanks. Have you seen Leslie Nielson as the President in scary movie 3?



User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 13620
Reviews: 212

Donate
Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:13 am
birk says...



Love it!




User avatar
179 Reviews


Points: 11017
Reviews: 179

Donate
Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:59 pm
guineapiggirl wrote a review...



This is great! This is really really great! Well done :D
This made me actually laugh. I loved all of the science babble, especially. And the name of the condition. My favourite part is the whole speech by the scientists. It's really good.

I am just going to praise you for a while now. You have brilliant spelling and grammar, your writing style is superb, definitely NOT childish, and you obviously have an amazing imagination that is really crazy! The Harlem Shake turning people into zombies :D It reminds me from something that happened somewhere sometime in history where people in this area thought they'd been cursed to ahve to dance for ages so they all just went to dance for ages and ages and ages in the street. It is kind of scary, I guess, the way the Harlem Shake spreads... Almost like it is some zombie epidemic...
I don't really have anything to suggest you do to this. Please tell me when you continue this! I can see this being really good!




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 5400
Reviews: 60

Donate
Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:58 pm
HorriBliss says...



I liked it for what it was: a short, fun, and humorous anecdote. However, I think it trailed off toward the end, and it started to become a little stale - the opening dialogue was fresh and funny though!




User avatar


Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:57 pm
Pr0tected says...



This is actually very amusing to read. It's well written and unique. I never would've been able to involve the Harlem Shake in a story. I also like how it's not just based upon making people laugh, but it's also serious.
Well done!
Leah




User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 1318
Reviews: 19

Donate
Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:34 pm
View Likes
Lioness wrote a review...



I really like the short story. Don't worry about people being a bit nasty about this, because it's good! The dialogue is witty and fun to read. My favourite part is the name of the virus: Harleminthine Shactora. If it was me, I would never have got this out of the Harlem Shake. You obviously have a creative mind, which is good, but you enhance this with your writing style. It is not just humour, there is a serious side to the story.
Tell me when you continue this!
Lioness



Random avatar
GreenArrow34 says...


I like this




I don't do time.
— Liberty