z

Young Writers Society



Tomorrow- Chapter Fourteen

by 90skids


I do not talk throughout dinner. The others glance at my impassive face as I slide into a spot and help myself to fish and chips. I keep my head down, ignoring Poppy’s concerned stare. I shovel the battered fish into my mouth, ignoring the burns it leaves on my tongue. For once, I do not swathe the chips in sauce.

“Are you ok?” Eddie asks me once my knife and fork clatter onto the table. He reaches for my hand and begins massaging it, attempting to soothe me.

“I’m fine.” I say too quickly, snatching my hand away and reaching for a plate of syrup sponge. I attack the sickly sweet dessert, refusing to leave a single morsel of it on the plate. Ordinarily, I would savour the sweetness of it but, today, it tastes like ash.

Once I’ve finished abusing my pudding, I stand up, not checking to see whether or not anyone else is finished. They take the hint and stay seated, no doubt waiting until I’ve left before they discuss what might be wrong with me.

“Elizabeth!” A voice shouts as I begin to make my way along the path and down to the stables. I whip around, my body on red alert, waiting to be attacked. I sigh inwardly as I see Charles striding across the green grass towards me.

“Yes?”

“It’s about Matt…”

“Yes, I have to kill him, I know.”

“Yes, you do,” He say frankly, “And, if I were you, I would do it quickly.”

“Quickly?”

“Tonight.”

“I can’t bear to do it tonight,” I tell him, “I’ll do it tomorrow.”

He rolls his eyes and saunters away, opening a door and slipping silently inside.

I flop onto the grass. For the first time in my life, I decide that, the stables will not solve this problem for me. I alone can solve this. I will not be a coward; I shall have to do it. I greet this task as ominously as I should greet my own death although, I can’t help but pity Matt because, in death, he will be far freer than I could ever be. I wish that our roles were reversed and that he is the one killing me, not the other way around. You see, I have nothing to lose; I love no one and no one loves me. I will never belong anywhere, no matter how far I walk. I will never find love like the love which Matt has for Scarlett’; that is the kind of love which only exists in the fables my mother used to tell us by the fireside on those bleak winters nights all those many many years ago. I might dream of love but, I will never truly know it. Indeed, should someone ever love me, I should pity the poor fool for he should know that, I could never truly love him back. You see, I cannot love. Everything I have ever loved has been taken away from me and, to tell the truth, I doubt that I am strong enough to be able to withstand the loss of a lover. I envy Matt and Scarlett but I do not want to be them, not just because they only have a couple of hours left in one another’s arms.

I square my shoulders as I stand up and march back through the doors of the cottage. I will do this although I take little pleasure from the task. There’s no avoiding it but first, I have to find Matt and tell him that it is time to say farewell.

I walk into the common room, ignoring Eddie, who beckons at me frantically from the corner, and walk straight up to Matt who’s sitting alone, holding an empty glass and staring into the roaring depths of the frantic fire.

“Matt?” I say, tapping him on the shoulder, “Can I have a word?”

Thankfully, Scarlett’s arguing loudly with Isla so no one notices the fact that Matt and I have both slipped out of the packed room. I lead Matt up to the tower. He doesn’t even question me.

We stand upon the windy tower, neither of us daring to make a move. After a while, Matt slumps to the floor.

“I know, Elizabeth.” He says, gazing at the weathered stones.

“Know what?” I say, barely even attempting to lie.

“You have to kill me.” He says simply as though he has long been reconciled with this unhappy fact.

“How do you know?”

The corner of his lips curls up in amusement, “You’re not the only one who can eavesdrop, Elizabeth.” He says.

“You can write your own note.” I say, trying to keep my voice cold and neutral, the way a killer should.

“I already have.” He says, producing a wrinkled note from his pocket. “Read it when I’m gone.”

He places the note under a large stone before he stands up, the wind making his clothes flap like the wings of a bird.

“I am ready to die.” He says to the wind, “I don’t blame you, Elizabeth.”

And, before I can fully comprehend what is happening, he steps up onto the battlements. He breaths in deeply, inhaling the cold night air before raising his above his head and diving gracefully off the edge. He plummets back down to earth. And dives off the side, plummeting to the hard, unforgiving ground. There is a brief moment before his body crumples on the grass when he looks so free and peaceful that I long to be him. I long to dive like a swallow in the sky but, before I can die, I must do my duty.

The howling wind prevents me from hearing the sickening thud as his body hits the cruel ground, crumpling like a piece of paper in my fist. I do not look over the side for fear that I might leap over the edge to be as free as he is. Instead, I walk over to the note which is weighted down by the stone and begin to read it, taking care not to allow the fragile paper to be blown away by the harsh wind.

I have to confess that, I did not know how to start this letter. After many attempts, I simply gave up and put my pen to paper and allowed my thoughts and feelings to flow across the page in what I know shall be my last letter. This is, in truth, my only chance to say goodbye and, well, I don’t know where to start.

I don’t know what to write. It sounds so stupid on paper but it’s the truth. I don’t want to waste this opportunity; after all, this is my final farewell. However, I just don’t know where to start. Where am I supposed to start? Therefore, I’ve decided to do what I do best; I’m going to write from the heart.

I know that many of you will think that what I have done is shocking but you have to understand that I couldn’t live in this world anymore; I couldn’t live in the terrible life which I alone created. All the bravado I once had is now long gone, to be replaced by a feeling of hopelessness; the worst feeling in the world. I am now a mere echo of the innocent boy I once was and the realisation that I couldn’t regain that innocence is one of the things which drove me to do this. The fact that I will remain forever young in all of your memories is a small consolation for the pain which I know I will put you through.

I beg you all not to pity me as I am free from all the evil worldly constraints. I leave this sickening world for a world where, hopefully, everything shall be as it ought to be. I tell you not to pity the dead but to pity those who are left behind. I confess that, selfish as it may seem, I regret not being able to take each and every single one of you with me to this covenant land but then again, you have to be cruel to be kind.

As I turn to face death, I realise that, there is nothing to fear from death; you see, death is but an old friend who we all have to visit at the end of a long day. Some of us choose to visit him a little earlier in the day, perhaps to share our morning coffee together whereas, some are dragged from their beds at an ungodly hour and are told to face him without being able to say goodbye to their loved ones. At least, I have the luxury of going by choice rather than by brute force. The thing is that, no matter when we visit death, it is important to remember that, he is merely an old friend and that, in the end, we have nothing to fear from our oldest and dearest friend.

The odd thing about death is that, we brush past him every day and yet, strangely enough, he does not choose to take us instead taking another. However, today, it is my turn to go to him and embrace him as the long-lost friend that he is.

I know that it will be hard for all of you at first but eventually I will fade from all of your minds although I selfishly hope that I will continue to live on in your hearts.

I know that some people might say that I’m an irrational fool for doing what I’ve done. I know that people will say that I had everything to live for. I know you will say this and, by the time you do, I will be powerless to stop it. But let me tell you this: I have done what I have done because there is no future for me in this life. There is no light at the end of the tunnel; that light has long-since gone out.

Scarlett. How am I supposed to say goodbye to the love of my life? You were the only thing which I ever loved and, as I soar through the cold evening air, it is your face that I see in my turbulent mind. I ask you to remember me when I was at my best; when I was laughing and happy, not in my darkest moments. However, above all, I urge you not to dwell upon me. You are strong, Scarlett and I know that you will manage to live without me. Just know that, I have loved you until the end.

Eddie. You have always been my best friend. I now regret all of those times when I didn’t tell you the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I urge you to be happy and, above all, I urge you not to blame yourself for what I have done. Never waste a moment thinking about me when you should be living your life to the full. I ask you to do this in remembrance of me.

Poppy. You have been like the sister which I never had. In death, I shall miss your laugh, your smile and the way in which you never failed to make me laugh and smile no matter how dire the situation seemed.

Jack. I regret that now I must write my final goodbye. Whilst Poppy was like a sister, you were like a brother so, today, I seem to be saying goodbye to my family.

Pete. I tell you this as an older brother; if you ever hurt Poppy, you must know that, I will never forgive you even though I am dead. You have been warned.

Elizabeth. You are my newest friend and yet it seems as though you have been a part of our group forever. You should know that sometimes in life, you just can’t save people. There’s a time and a place for being a hero and this life isn’t it.

I know that, these farewells are inadequate but, for once in my life, I can barely find the words to put down on the page. It is as though my pen has been broken and I am unable to find another one. Words do not flow as they used to. I suppose that, when I go to greet my maker, I shall have no further need for words. The queer thing is that, although I am merely saying goodbye, I seem to be unable to find any adequate words for my final farewell. In truth, I have done a poor job at writing my feelings upon a page so that you may understand why I have done what I have done.

I suppose that, one of the reasons why I have chosen to end it this way is because of the lies. My life seems to be filled with lies. Indeed, in the past few weeks, I seem to be unable to do anything but lie. It is as though my life is an endless lie and I am unable to move for the suffocation of my fables.

So, the time has come for me to say farewell. However, I depart from this life in the full knowledge that we will meet again so, let us not say farewell but, until we meet again.

I’ll always be watching over all of you from some high-up vantage point. I’ll know if you waste away your life thinking about me. Maybe I’ll guide you through life so that you don’t make all the wrong choices like I did.

Until we meet again,

Matt

I place the letter back on the ground and weight it down with the stone. I slip away as silently as any assassin, merging with the shadows which cover the hard stone walls. I know what my part in this life shall be now; I am the assassin, silent and deadly.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:34 pm
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Hi 90skid!

I'm back!

Wow - there were some technical things that were wrong with this chapter, but there weren't too many. Also, I found the letter in this chapter to be the best thing about it. I mean, it can't be easy to write an emotional suicide note. And even though we know Matt isn't telling the whole truth (this death was inflicted upon him even though he managed to accept his fate) it stills with emotion and makes me sad seeing him. He wasn't even one of the main characters, but I feel like here we got to know him a lot more and what life means to him. He has a lot of deep thoughts about death which you also put in the chapter, and it makes me wonder what Elizabeth may be facing in the future. She just saw a good friend die, and even though it's not part of her training, it is one more step towards hardening her so that she is ready to be an assassin. And now even she feels prepared herself. I think this story is just about to get a whole lot more focused on the original mission and Elizabeth is going to start going through quite a lot of character development as well.

I do not talk throughout dinner. The others glance at my impassive face as I slide into a spot and help myself to fish and chips.


I know this is what she feels like doing, so should she really be entitled to doing it? I think it would be wrong for her to act guilty before she commits the crime, because then after she does it, who will they all suspect? Her, of course! I know that the woman instructing her to do this never really gave her any guidelines or anything, but I assumed that she would be smart enough to know this. Elizabeth shouldn't be giving herself away when the game hasn't even begun! But you do need to show she feels gloomy about committing this crime. So in my idea, you could make her act normal but then tell her about her inner thoughts, and what she really feels like doing at the moment. But explain why she can't act that way right now. Show how her movements are actually calculated and precise - just like an assassins should be as well.

I would savour the sweetness of it but, today, it tastes like ash.


No comma needed after the 'but'. You already knew I was going to pull out one case like this though ;) There are some other places where the but has a comma afterwards and it isn't really needed, as well as some where there is a comma after a 'that' and it isn't needed either. Beware of those commas! I hope to see less of them in the chapters you have posted since my feedback ^.^

When Charles shouts at Elizabeth to stop and she talks to him about when she should be killing Matt, they aren't being very discrete at all! For all they know, anyone could've just overheard their conversation. Make sure you show them checking for people around them, or slipping into a side room that is more private, or even standing so close to each other that when they whisper no one but themselves can hear it. Either way, them screaming across the cafeteria or in a hallway is a bit no no. It just doesn't happen when it comes to business like this.

that is the kind of love which only exists in the fables my mother used to tell us by the fireside on those bleak winters nights all those many many years ago.


I think that putting the word 'only' in there is contradicting. I mean, you just said that Matt and Scarlet have that kind of love, which implies it does exist, and not only in those fables. So I would get rid of the word 'only' and possibly replace it with 'usually.' You don't really have to replace that word with anything if you don't want to. Cutting it would also be fine.

He breaths in deeply,


I don't hold this nitpick against you because it is one that I see a lot on YWS. But I think you mean breathe instead of breath. To breathe is the verb, the actual action you do of breathing. Which is what Matt is doing. But a breath is the name of the thing (the air that whooshes in) when you breathe. I hope this isn't too confusing and you understand this ^^

Also, another idea would be to put everything that is written in the letter in italics? It was just a bit sudden to be reading the letter and no longer the narrative. I just think that showing the difference there between narrative to letter by changing the font a little bit might be nice and easy for the reader to quickly realise a change is occuring.

Also, Elizabeth just saw her friend die! Where is her emotions! She should be a rollercoaster ride right now. She wasn't the one who pushed him over the edge, but she witnessed it and didn't do a single thing to stop him. Maybe she feels happy about the fact that he really committed suicide, which means she didn't have to get her hands dirty and really kill her best friend, but more so let him do it. Maybe she still feels like she killed him in a way, and is racked with sadness. She could even feel happy at first and then guilty at being happy because it doesn't change the fact that her friend is dead! So just make sure we see some more emotion in here. I know, you put a lot of it into the letter, but when it comes to heavy chapters like this, the whole thing needs to be dotted with lots of emotion.

I shall miss your laugh, your smile and the way in which you never failed to make me laugh and smile


There's some repetition of smile and laugh here. I won't go on about it because you might've done it on purpose, but it would be nicer if there is something different there, just for the sake of showing you have a wide vocabulary and all.

Another thing I really liked about this chapter was the way that Elizabeth didn't trust herself near the edge because she is likely to want to fall, end it all, and fly just like Matt did. That distrust right here is perfect. We need more emotions like this everywhere in the chapter. I am looking forward to seeing the next chapter and see how his friends take hearing about his death.

Image

Deanie x




90skids says...


thank you :)



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:43 pm
View Likes
Wolfi wrote a review...



Happy Review Day!!!

Wow. That was an amazing chapter!!!!!

Unfortunately, I, like IronSpark, have not read your other chapters. I found this one stranded in the Green Room, so I decided to review. Have you put this book up for adoption in the club "Adopt a Novel?" It's a great way for all your chapters to receive the proper love they deserve. If you do decide to, (or maybe if you already have) I'd love to adopt it.

“I can’t bear to do it tonight,” I tell him, “I’ll do it tomorrow.”

Ah, that moment when the title of the book is used in the text...

Alright, onto the review :) ...

Nitpicks

For the first time in my life, I decide that, the stables will not solve this problem for me.

The second comma here is unnecessary. There are several other comma mistakes throughout this chapter, so watch out for them! I don't want to list out every single one, for that would be tedious.
I can’t help but pity Matt because, in death, he will be far freer than I could ever be.

When you pity someone, you feel bad for them. In this instance, the narrator says that they feel bad for Matt because he will be freer than she. That doesn't make much sense. :P Try this small change: "I cannot pity Matt because, in death..."
on those bleak winters nights all those many many years ago.

Here's a better alternative to write this: "on those bleak winter nights many, many years ago."
I have to confess that, I did not know how to start this letter.

At first, I thought that this was still the narrator speaking. To let your readers know that this is the letter, italicize that section.


The amazing stuff...

You are a very talented writer! Everything seems to be so deeply thought out, and if the other chapters are as good as this one, why hasn't anyone stuck with you long enough to review this? The beginning drew me in, and the end made me yearn for more. Even though I don't understand Matt's death or why Elizabeth needed to kill him, it was written superbly. That letter was so beautiful, and I know that if I had read the other chapters, it would mean a lot more.

As I said before, I'd love to adopt this book!!! For now, I'll probably save the next chapter from the Green Room, then start again at Chapter One later.

That's all I have to say for now! Keep up the amazing writing and have a wonderful Review Day!

Wolfie




90skids says...


If you want to adopt my novel I'd love you too



Wolfi says...


Done :)



User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 3486
Reviews: 212

Donate
Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:41 pm
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady wrote a review...



Hello there!
Aurora here with a quick review day review for you!
And.. onto the next chapter!
Haha.

Nitpicks first:

I do not talk throughout dinner.
People don't think without contractions. You're going for a somber mood, and I get that, but that just seems unnatural... almost robotic.

For once, I do not swathe the chips in sauce.
Consider changing the word 'swathe' to 'smother'. Swathe is more commonly used with clothing and cloth, and although grammatically correct, it feels odd.

Ordinarily, I would savour the sweetness of it but, today, it tastes like ash.
No commas at all needed in this sentence :) And yay for Brit spelling!

For the first time in my life, I decide that, the stables will not solve this problem for me.
No comma needed after the word 'that'.

I will not be a coward; I shall have to do it.
Shall? Darling, people don't say shall... it reads unnaturally :)

I greet this task as ominously as I should greet my own death although, I can’t help but pity Matt because, in death, he will be far freer than I could ever be.
Oh. Comma usage. Hyphen before although, no comma after although, and no comma after because, either.

I will never find love like the love which Matt has for Scarlett’
Stray apostrophe you've got there :)

I envy Matt and Scarlett but I do not want to be them, not just because they only have a couple of hours left in one another’s arms.
Again, do not? Don't. Don't.

It sounds so stupid on paper but it’s the truth.
Hyphen or comma before but.

I'd suggest italicizing Matt's letter; I didn't know it was his letter until about two paragraphs in.

End of nitpicks.

Overall thing that you can fix:
Your MC tends to talk really formally, and use words like 'shall', and no contractions, at times, and then go back to speaking normally. Either is fine, depending upon your character/setting, but switching back and forth makes it hard for people to 'get' the character. She seems really robotic when you do that.

I admire you for writing in first person present tense; I do too- can't write any other way, but it's hard :).
Great job.
Your descriptions are amazing, as is your insight into this character's thoughts. Most people would be hard-pressed to realistically imagine what it would feel like in this situation. Great character development, really.

Keep persisting, love.
Aurora




90skids says...


Thank you for another great review



User avatar
175 Reviews


Points: 15167
Reviews: 175

Donate
Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:40 pm
Harker wrote a review...



Wow. Just wow. This is one of the best things I've read in a long time. I actually didn't want to read this at first, just because it didn't look like something I'd want to read and because it wasn't the first chapter. I accidentally clicked on this… and wow, am I glad I did! This is great. It's very flowing, and you made barely any grammar mistakes. However, I just wanted to mention that sometimes your sentences can be a little too… (for lack of a better word) straightforward, like this one: "He reaches for my hand and begins massaging it, attempting to soothe me." Your narrator has a very strong voice, and I think you have room to try something else--maybe "He reaches for my hand and begins massaging it, a bad attempt at calming me down." Or something like that. Again, great chapter, and now I'm going to go read the other chapters so that the chapter makes sense.

-IronSpark




90skids says...


thanks for the advice :)




Why can't I put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator? Would you prefer if I put in the Shrek script instead?
— CaptainJack