Asenath:Tears on the Sand Chapter 29

by Aravis10

XXIX

The orange moon lit the halls, throwing Asenath’s long shadow onto a wall. A black scarf was wrapped around her head, only her eyes shone through. She clutched a bag of grain, a mortar and pestle, and a pomegranate close to her body. Oni trailed like a phantom behind her. Her breaths came slowly, quietly. The secrecy sent the thrill of adrenaline up her spine. She tiptoed through the halls until she arrived at the door.

Here we go.

It opened with a faint creak. The stairwell was pitch black so she lit a candle. The single delicate flame illuminated only the first few steps. She gingerly stepped down, down, careful to leave the door cracked open behind her.

Chains clanked and a frightened voice called out, “Who…who’s there?”

Oni stood near the door to interpret.

Asenath kept the light away from her face. “A friend.”

Simeon huddled against a wall. “Go away. I…I don’t believe in ghosts.”

She smiled to herself. In this lighting, I must look a lot like a ghost.

“I’m not a ghost. I’m…”

I can’t tell him who I really am.

“Eliora, a girl who lives here.”

Simeon leaned close to the bars of his cell. “Is that a Hebrew name?” He squinted, trying to see his mysterious visitor.

She quickly set the candle in a holder on the wall and flitted back into the shadows. “You could say that.”

“Eliora…Elohim is my light. Are…are you an angel?”

“You could say that as well.”

He shrugged, pulling a thin blanket over his haggard shoulders. “I know why you are here. You are here to torture me about Joseph and what I did to him. But you don’t have to. Every stone here calls out, accusing me. Elohim is judging me.”

Poor broken man.

Asenath inched closer to the cell, avoiding the light. “Are you bored Simeon?”

He turned his head abruptly to her voice. “How do you know my name?”

“I know about you and your brothers. Answer the question.”

“I cannot be bored. My mind is always swirling, reminding me of my wrong. I can still see the faces of the Hivites in my dreams.”

I just want to help you.

“Here.” She slid the grain and mortar and pestle under his bars.

“What is this?”

“Something for you to do. And also this.” She reached out to give him the pomegranate.

He backed away from her hand that shone white in the candle and moon light.

“I’m not a ghost. Or an angel. Take the fruit and touch my hand. I am flesh and blood just like you.”

He slowly reached out, his hand shaking. His breath was raw, intoxicatingly close. His touch was brief, but it made her shiver.

So like Joseph’s, but so different.

She backed into the shadows, leaving him alone again.

“So you are just a girl. What are you doing here then?”

“I just feel bad for you.”

He stiffened. “I don’t need pity.”

“Whatever you say, my lord. I will come again, when you are done with your task.”

“How will you know that I am done?”

“I’ll know. Good night.” She sneaked away with Oni on her tail, taking the candle with her. Once the door was closed behind them, she let out a deep breath. Her body tingled with excitement.

Did that really just happen?

Joseph still slept, breathing peacefully now. After taking off her disguise, she climbed into bed. Nobody else knew.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*

“Good evening, Simeon,” Asenath said in a friendly voice.

“Eliora! And her mysterious translator that never leaves the doorway. Good evening. I finished that weaving you asked me to do.” He leaned close to the bars of his cell expectantly.

Asenath stayed in the shadows and pulled the scarf closer to her face. “I know. I brought you more grain to grind and a flask of wine.”

As they exchanged goods through the bars, Simeon searched her eyes. “I feel like I have seen you before.”

She quickly pulled back into the darkness, trying to stay calm.

He knows.

“Of course you have. I have come many times in the past few months.”

“Yes, but there was something else too.”

“Maybe you saw me in the kitchen on your way down here with your brothers.”

“You are probably right. I…I miss my brothers. But now they…” He stared off into the distance behind her. “…are gone.” His face was masked by darkness, but his eyes gleamed in the candlelight. He hit the wall as hard as he could. A dull thump echoed through the halls. “I will make that vizier pay.”

Asenath held back a giggle as the tips of his ears grew deep red.

But I guess he has some right to be angry.

The dungeon smelled of human excrete and sweaty sheep. The wall at her back dripped with slimy water. She ignored all this to focus on Simeon. “Calm yourself, my lord. Getting angry at the vizier will not make your situation better. Especially if the guard who brings your food hears about it.”

The color began to leave his ears. “This isn’t his fault, this is mine. My fault! If we would have left Joseph alone this wouldn’t have happened. Was he ever that bad? A little annoying, but otherwise…he was an innocent boy. Ah, my head!” He put his head against the wall and closed his eyes.

“What is wrong with your head?”

“My head, my head!” He slammed his head against the wall.

“My lord! Stop! You are hurting yourself!”

He looked at her with bloodshot eyes and a vacant expression. “I can’t sleep. My head…my head is always thinking, reliving the moment. It has to stop!” He grabbed at the wine and poured it down his throat. Some drizzled out, looking like blood.

Asenath grabbed his sweaty hand under the bars. “Elohim will work it out. Lie down on your bed. I can sing to help you sleep.”

“Sleep? I don’t know how to sleep.”

“Just try. Please.”

He slowly lay down on his pallet, curling into a tight ball. She sang him one of the lullabies she had written for Manasseh. Her song bounced off the walls, making her one voice seem like a choir of angels. Simeon’s eyes drooped, and, after the third verse, he was asleep.

“May you sleep without dreams,” she whispered. She headed up the stairs. Oni was also asleep at the top of the stairs. “Wake up!”

Oni’s eyes fluttered open.

“You can go home now,” Asenath said. “Thank you.”

“Anything for you,” Oni yawned.

What else can I do for him? He might commit suicide before Joseph’s plan works.

She opened the door to her room. All the candles were lit and Joseph was wide awake!

He scowled at her as she entered. “Joseph! You are up! I was, just, um, I had to pick up this weaving.”

“Really? At midnight? What were you really doing?”

“I was picking up weaving!”

“The whole truth.”

She avoided his harsh look. “I, well…”

“I already know where you were. I just want to see if you would like to tell me the truth. I don’t like it when people go behind my back.”

“If you already know, why should I tell you?” she shot back.

“Why did you disobey me?! I told you not to interfere! And yet you go to see my brother! In the middle of the night! That is not suspicious at all,” he retorted with thick sarcasm.

“How dare you accuse me like that! I just wanted to help him!”

“After all these years, you would betray me.”

“I didn’t betray you.” She got close to him and stared him straight in the eye. “The man is crazy with guilt! If he is alone for too long, I’m sure he will kill himself. I’m doing you a favor!” she yelled.

“I know what I’m doing. I don’t need your help!”

“So you don’t need me. I see how it is. Fine with me. I’m sleeping in the guest room!” She stormed out.

“This conversation is not finished!” he called out behind her.

She ran away and flung herself into the guest bed. The tears came slow at first, then they poured like a torrent of rain.

I just wanted to help!

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:50 pm
ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hi! Cricket here for a review!

Guh, I just had this feeling that Joseph was going to find out! And I didn't think it would be pretty once he did. I just can't figure out Joseph right now though! He's acting sooo strange. Very different from his usual self. Like he all of a sudden just wanted to purposefully shove Asenath aside. Almost like he doesn't love her anymore, but I know that can't be the case.

What I really like in this chapter though, is how you portrayed Asenath. She doesn't seem quite as childish here, as she normally does. Like she grew and matured, over a very small period of time it seems. (Not how it's supposed to be like, but I think you know what I mean. She just sounds more mature in this chapter) I think the real reason why she sounds more mature, is because she is trying to help her husband out, while still trying to do the right thing in the process, which is very hard. As Joseph made quite clear in the end of this chapter, he didn't need her help in anything. Idk, I just hated that part. It was like Joseph didn't have control over his mouth when he was speaking. I know the Joseph from before, when they were newly married wouldn't have spoken that way to her, at any time, place, or circumstance. It just wasn't like him. And from the way Asenath reacted, it didn't do that well. Women are there to be the helpmates of their husbands, and being told by their husband that they aren't needed, isn't exactly good for their marriage. I'm kinda thinking that Joseph needs to be slapped right now, but that's not Asenath's place I believe. Although I'd do it any day.

What I really just don't understand is that Joseph seems to be treating this entire scheme like some way to get back at his brothers. I mean, I know the Bible story. But never while reading the Bible did I get the impression that Joseph was trying to get back at his brothers. I always just thought he was trying to see if they had changed at all, and if they were sorry for what they'd done. That was my general reaction when it came to the actual story. Here though, I keep getting the feeling that he is just doing all of this to get revenge. But I don't think that is his or yours intent. It really just doesn't seem like him at all. More like someone extremely foreign and new had taken his place, and the old Joseph was just pushed aside for a better time. Like he has two personalities! Don't think that's going to work though, cause right now I'm upset with Joseph. ;)

A black scarf was wrapped around her head, andonly her eyes shone through.

Here I think you could help this sentence flow better if you added that article right there.

She clutched a bag of grain, a mortar and pestle, and a pomegranate close to her body

Hmm, would they have pomegranate's right then? With the famine going one and all I would think that there would be a shortage of such delicacies. Also, make sure you research if those type of fruits grow in Egypt. :D

Go away. I…I don’t believe in ghosts.”

Bleh, what is he? A baby? Sorry, but he now reminds me of a silly four year old boy. That would be something my little brother would say, and even then... he wouldn't do it quite like that. xD I'd suggest really mapping out each and every character as you write, as to make sure they all sound their age, and of course they sound unique.

Right now, Asenath and Oni are pretty similar in their ways of talking. There are several ways of defining someone's particular style of speaking, so many that it would take forever to tell you about them. But an example would be like, one person uses contractions a lot in speaking, while the other doesn't. Just a simple way of defining that one person's way of speaking is all. But there are many other ways. If you have time that is, it would be a good idea to research this when doing the final edit.

So like Joseph’s, but so different.

So twice in a row is sooo boring. xD How about entirely instead of the second so.

He hit the wall as hard as he could.

We only learn what he hit the wall with until two paragraphs later. How about you tell us right here, instead?

Nobody else knew.

Here's an example of telling and not showing. Show us that nobody else knew. Otherwise we don't have as clear of a picture as we could have, and just a little more info on that and you could be adding more meat to the story!

“I was picking up weaving!”

Instead of this, or only this... how about you have it to where she motions to the weaving in her hands and maybe make some helpless gestures, or just something like that. Would be a bit more realistic I think.

OK, as far as story line goes for this chapter, I'd say I'm absolutely in love with it. I knew that Joseph was going to find out sooner or later, and he did! She got caught red handed, right in the act. Which was what I was fairly sure would happen, but not entirely. From what I can see there's going to be a period of time that they don't talk to each other. How long that is going to be for I don't know. But I can just seeee it. xD

That's all for now I think. Keep writing!

~Cricket

Aravis10 says...

I suppose Joseph did change a lot from the part with Asenath's mother. I imagined him just stressed because of the stakes, but I don't think I set up the stakes too well. Anyway, thanks for pointing those things out! Only a few chapters left! I can't wait to hear what you say about them! :) :)

Wolfi wrote a review...

Wolfie is here for a quick review!!

The orange moon lit the halls, throwing Asenath’s long shadow onto a wall.

As the first sentence of the chapter, this sentence should be.... well.... better. Words like "orange" and "throwing" could be improved to catch the reader's attention and draw them into your story. You could add flavor to "orange" by adding an adjective, such as a "burnt" orange, or you could replace that word entirely with, for instance, "copper." The second part of the sentence, "throwing Asenath's long shadow onto a wall," could certainly use some spicing-up. We already know that she is in an outside hall of some sort, or at least a hall without a roof, so why mention the walls? Maybe you could describe the patterns on the walls instead of the actual walls themselves. Let me show you a better example:
"The {insert adjective} patterns on the walls absorbed the copper hue of the moon and were broken only by Asenath and Oni's long shadows as they hurried by."
To keep your writing as consistent as possible, you can play around with that sentence to make it resemble your style, or edit your own original sentence.
Oni trailed like a phantom behind her. Her breaths came slowly, quietly. The secrecy sent the thrill of adrenaline up her spine. She tiptoed through the halls until she arrived at the door.

If you use a form of the sentence I created, you won't have to mention Oni here. This will also clear up some confusion, since it seems like you are describing Oni during this entire section, when I think you meant to describe Asenath.
The stairwell was pitch black so she lit a candle.

Again, this sentence could use more flavor. "Pitch black," for one thing, is a bit cliche. You know me, I always want to replace boring colors with fancy words. How about "coal black?"
“So you don’t need me. I see how it is. Fine with me. I’m sleeping in the guest room!”

These two sentences seem unrealistic and repetitive together in one sentence. I would only use one of them.

Nice job! Asenath seems so innocent it this chapter, and I don't want Joseph to be mad at her. As the last sentence says, she only wanted to help. This also proves how intelligent Joseph is, too, for figuring out what she was doing.

Poor Simeon, too! He does deserve it, I guess, for selling Joseph to those Egyptian traders long ago.

I'm so excited to read the part when Joseph reveals himself to them! Keep up the excellent editing; you're almost there!!!!

Aravis10 says...

Thank you! I will try to make the beginning more interesting!

r4p17 wrote a review...

Hey Aravis, Knight Rudy here for a review! (I changed my avvie). I certainly hope this helps!

I am certain that I have mentioned this before, but you need to put a space after the ellipse.

[qupte]“Eliora, a girl who lives here.”[/quote] Who is speaking here? Oni or Asenath. You need to make that clear, tough I am guessing it is Asenath right?

I can still see the faces of the Hivites in my dreams.”
Hivites? What Hivites? Wasn't Joseph captured by Ismaelites? Or were the Hivites descended from Ishmael?

“…are gone.”
I also think I said this before, but you shouldn't put an ellipse before words because and ellipse indicates a pause in speech, but there was no speech before this in this dialogue sentence. You also had an ellipse in the previous quote which should cover this.

“Calm yourself, my lord.
I think it's a little strange that Asenath refers to Simeon as lord. I mean she is acting like a servant/slave, but still, she would be higher than a prisoner wouldn't she?

Well, there was certainly a turn of events in this chapter! I am not sure if I like it or not though... I'm not really sure what is going to happen next, though I don't think it will be too good. :P In a sense I don't want anything to happen to Asenath, but on the other hand I know that everything turned out alright in the Bible.

Overall this was a well written chapter and had a much better beginning than in the last one. ;) I definitely look forward to reading more of this! You have done a good job of getting me interested in this. Well that's just about all I have for you. Just keep writing away in this book! Happy writing!!! :D

This review courtesy of

Aravis10 says...

Thank for the reviews! The Hivites were a people group that Simeon and Levi murdered. I wanted it to be cryptic since Asenath would not know who they were either, but maybe I should make it a bit less cryptic. I'm not trying to ignore your advice about the ellipse. I have all the chapters typed out and I don't feel like changing all that now. But when I start editing after I post all my chapters, I will look into changing it!

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.
— Oscar Wilde