z

Young Writers Society


12+

Leer

by Blacksmith42


I don't know if I can take anymore of it; it just keeps getting worse. The way she flirts with him. The way she's always by his side. How she lights up at the slightest thing he says. How they play fight. How I could could never blame her or him. He's perfect. He's what every girl should dream for and aspire to find in a man. In no area is he lacking, not a single flaw in mind or body. How could I blame her? How I dare I to feel anger towards her, anger, yet passion at the same time. The way she can't even imagine looking at me the way she looks at him. The long hours of the night during which my heart cries but my but my eyes are a desert; my body stiff and unresponsive-tired and numb from the last day's training session. The lack of emotion is that of a tree, not in the sense that a tree is not sentient, but in the sense that the outer part of a tree is dead while only a small portion on the inside remains alive, throbbing. Being pushed, nay, overlooked. Wanting to devote life to making hers better. Feeling ashamed in the moments when her body captivates my mind like a work of art, carved into flesh by the hand of the same who placed her before me for the shortest unit of time, each second thereof multiplied infinitely more painful when she smiles at him, infinitely more beautiful when I look upon her. I can't admire her for her body. I do. Years of lessons on equality, my own personal reasoning and fundamental understanding of life and the morality of goodness found in mind not matter descend from above me in a maelstrom formed of my own mind. And yet, even as I come to the brink, I cannot stop admiring the perfect sculpture before me. It is my nature, the nature into which I was born. I am dominated, yet unwillingly. If anything, I want nothing more than to spill out to her my fears, happiness, dreams my essence. But she could never hear me, she is deafened by the perfection she sees, that which I cannot be. Even were it that my soul could be bared, no number nor arrangement of words could ever prove sufficient to express my true feelings. Words are a prison for the heart. And if I somehow did manage this feat, already knowing fully-well it would be in vain, maybe then could I be content to be leer. Regardless of the words on this page and the emotions of my soul, I will fail. Knowing I will never have her. Knowing fully-well that as I empty the contents of my heart for her, that it will never suffice, but struggling on to do it anyways. How could I blame her? Why should she give up the perfect man? For me- so undeserving? To that point, who could even possibly deserve her? Who could deserve her laugh, her smile, her eyes, her scent, God, her scent like all the happiness and passion in the world, come into the purest possible essence of euphoria and beauty. When I look into her eyes, I feel as if I've stolen some priceless diamond, the moment feels stolen, as if I had wasted her time. Her smile, more picturesque and beautiful than could ever be recored for those who had not seen it. Her laugh, so beautiful that it is nearly an insult as to so even much as attempt to describe in mortal words. She's perfect. I'm leer.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:28 pm
Elinor wrote a review...



Hello,

Just a note, both for when you revise this piece and for anything else that you may write. Try to break this up into smaller paragraphs. Right now, a huge chunk like this is intimidating to the reader, and it's a lot easier to lose focus. Not only will you get more reviews, but you'll appear more professional. Paragraphs are a way to organize your thoughts while you write, and if you utilize them your reader will know you understand both what you're doing and what it is you're trying to say.

That being said, I did like this. You did a good job of portraying the emotion of unrequited love, and I definitely felt everything the main character is feeling. But I want more. Right now, he just muses about the girl, and there's not much more to it. There's no discovery, no change, no journey. Right now, it's a nice piece of writing, but I wanted to be taken on the journey the main character is going through, not just sit in this thoughts. That can be a good place to start, but it doesn't make for as compelling of a story.

Good luck!

This review was brought to you
by Team Rocket.
Image




User avatar
401 Reviews


Points: 1658
Reviews: 401

Donate
Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:13 pm
View Likes
ThereseCricket wrote a review...



Hi! Cricket here for a review!!

(this won't be an overly long review, as this work is awesome, and it is shorter than most, so it doesn't require as much :D)

OK, WOW. This is awesome! Freakin amazing! It so full of raw emotion, that when I really focused my eyes just wouldn't leave the screen.

It describes what a man feels like when they see the girl that he loves fall for somebody else, and I think you did it beautifully. Hmm, I actually think you should format this into a poem. If you could get the idea across in fewer words the people might actually relate to this more. :D Hope you don't mind my suggestion!

You caught on to the emotions of what a man feels extremely well. So well, that I was a little awestruck at first! Incredible work my friend!

How I could could never blame her or him.


Repeated word. Take out one of the could

dream for and


Maybe replace for with about

The lack of emotion is that of a tree, not in the sense that a tree is not sentient, but in the sense that the outer part of a tree is dead while only a small portion on the inside remains alive, throbbing.


Bit of a run-on sentence here. Maybe rephrase it? :D

Feeling ashamed in the moments when her body captivates my mind like a work of art, carved into flesh by the hand of the same who placed her before me for the shortest unit of time, each second thereof multiplied infinitely more painful when she smiles at him, infinitely more beautiful when I look upon her.


Hmm, this is like a super cool sentence and everything, and I didn't spot any run-on in it, but I would suggest splitting it up anyway. Readers don't really like loooonnngg sentences. They normally get bored. :D

fully-well


No need for the -.

recored


Just a typo. recorded is what I think you mean. :D

PARAGRAPHING

Since this is a relatively short piece, I won't go into this topic too much. But I thought I'd touch up on it a little. The entire work is just jammed full of raw timeless emotion. But a reader won't be able to focus much on it, if they are constantly going back and re-reading because they can't seem to focus! It's mainly paragraphing.

Paragraphs are composed of usually three to five sentences. One thought.

Here. I'll put out a spot and show you where I think you should split it in a certain section. :D

In no area is he lacking, not a single flaw in mind or body.SPLIT HERE How could I blame her?


That's where I think your first split in paragraphing should go for this work. Now granted, not every paragraph is going to be three to five sentences per. Some might be six or seven, and with others it might be one or two. Usually depends on your style, and/or what you're writing about.

With this since its such a emotional one, I'd keep the paragraphs to around 3 to 5 sentences. To make sure you are giving your readers enough time to soak up all the feeling. :D

OK, and that's it for now! You got some truly amazing skills as a writer, and I will be looking out for more work of yours in the future! :D

Keep writing!

~Cricket




Random avatar

Points: 1585
Reviews: 27

Donate
Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:04 pm
Anabelle wrote a review...



Hello, Blacksmith42. Here for a review... well, if you could call it that. I almost don't even want to review this, because it seems so raw. How can I tell you what to correct when its so perfect and real?

I'm guessing, from the description, that this girl and this circumstance is real, so let me just say that she is so lucky to have you as an admirer. It is clear that you really do see more in this girl than just her appearance and I'm sorry to hear that she is, as you said so heartbreakingly, "deafened by the perfection she sees".

Personally, I love when people post snippets or full versions of their journal entries (I do it as well) because to me, that is when a writer is at his/her best. Their work doesn't come off as pretentious, because they're not thinking of anyone reading it. They are just pouring their heart and mind onto paper and the result is almost always beauty - like this. This is beautiful.

You have a true gift, my friend. Keep doing what you're doing. :)

XOXO
Anabelle





I would like to be the air that inhabits you for a moment only. I would like to be that unnoticed and that necessary.
— Margaret Atwood