Melanie Coley

by TonelessBard

Set your venom free

The things aren't right

Sharp sting, Melanie

Sweet poison of my mind

*

Land on my skin

Bury your secrets deep

Sharp sting, Melanie

Put me to sleep

*

Oh, sing a lullaby

So my life can go blind

Carve it into my skin

You know I won't mind

*

Then hide in my hair

My sweet protagonist

Steal my mind while you're there

I don't want to exist

*

Please sing a lullaby

So my life can go blind

Carve it into my skin

You know I won't mind

*

Land on my skin

Bury your secrets deep

Sharp sting, Melanie

Put me to sleep.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:21 am
LanguidLiger wrote a review...

Does this poem have a double meaning? Because two messages are palpable to me here . One is that melanie coli is a metaphor for melancholie. I feel lucky about this one. The second is that melanie coli is a love interest, possibly the cause of your ahnedonia, although ite possible you wouldnt remember a highschool event. It seems to be about existential despair. But what do I really know about you. The poem is simple and effecrive, the paragraphs connected by the use of the frases incorporating the idea of the soothing lullaby and not wanting to exist. This allows for a proper flow. I would suggest that you change "put me asleep" to "put me to sleep" or something of the like, as this is the one grammatical fallcy that I could find. Good writing.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:21 am
BluesClues wrote a review...

For a moment, I got very excited by the fact that you used the name "Melanie," because I thought I remembered reading that the name "Melanie" means honey or something and your poem uses a bee metaphor (or at least, that's how I took it), but...no. No, I was wrong. I was thinking of "Melissa."

The name Melissa is a Greek baby name. In Greek the meaning of the name Melissa is: Bee. Famous bearer: Melissa, Mythological princess of Crete transformed to a bee after learning to collect honey.

(sheknows.com)

Oh, well.

Anyway, lovely imagery and a bit of a spooky or depressed tone in a poem that otherwise seems something like a love poem. My only issue is the line "the things aren't right." It lacks the imagery, metaphor, and specificity of your other lines, it's dull compared to the rest, and it reads weirdly--I think because you say "the things aren't right," when normally we'd say "things aren't right" or else use "the" but name something specific that isn't right ("the time" or what have you). So fix that up, and I think you've got a solid poem.

Blue

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:04 pm
Cithara wrote a review...

Hey bard! Thewriter13 here to give a review! :)
Poetry is my specialty, so I'm glad you linked me to this!
Sp first I'll start with nitpicks, then praise, and then what could be worked on.

Nitpicks!

The things aren't right

I'm not sure what you mean by "things" here...could you clarify?

Steal my mind while you're there

This line is the longest in the entire poem. I suggest, in order to keep consistency in rhythm and in line length, to shorten it. Nothing major, only a suggestion

Put me asleep.

Here you should have "put me to sleep".

Great job, Bard! I really liked the simplicity of this piece!
Though it seemed a tiny bit vague, it was a wonderful read :D
I liked the repetition, which reminded me of a poem style, though I can't place my finger on it.
Anyway, there's really nothing major to work on.
Just keep consistency.
Keep writing! :D

The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances.
— Unknown