z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

REDACTED

by GeoCha, deleted28


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

REDACTED


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 139
Reviews: 16

Donate
Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:28 am
deleted28 says...



I do not remember this...




User avatar
922 Reviews


Points: 42011
Reviews: 922

Donate
Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:50 pm
GryphonFledgling wrote a review...



Hello hello! I'm Gryph and I'll be your reviewer today.

This looks like it's shaping up to be a dark, dramatic romance? Wonderful. Let's dig in.

First off, breaking up the dialogue in formatting would make this a bit easier to read. Each new person speaking should get their dialogue bumped down into its own paragraph.

For example:

Marty looked over at Dusty.

"You're an idiot," she said, but because she was smiling, there was no venom in it.

"I know," he replied, but he wasn't smiling.


See how this is a little easier to read? It looks like your formatting might have gone a little wonky on upload, but it's an easy fix and it makes such a huge difference. Big ol' blocks of text are a burden on the eyes, especially on the computer screen, and this helps the readers follow who's speaking much easier.

On to the characters. We get a lot of physical description of them really quickly. Hold off a little bit. It's okay not to know everything about how a character looks right off the bat. Readers have good imaginations and so long as you give us a name and a personality, we can do a lot with it and have you supplement later with tasty tidbits of description. Before I know anything about Luke as a person in this story aside from that he's Veronica's boyfriend and apparently a bit of a jerk, I know that he's Hispanic, tall and slender, and that Veronica's short compared to him. I'd rather know what about him made Veronica angry with him, and why exactly she's staying with him.

That's a question I have too: why is Veronica staying with him? I understand that in real life, a lot of people stay with abusive partners for far longer than they should, because emotions are complicated things. But here, Veronica seems pretty aware of what the problems are. She's spelling them out to Luke right and left. So she knows they are there and he doesn't seem to be doing much to make her feel better, so why is she staying? There is a lot of the characters doing things, like hugging, kissing and fighting, but how do they feel about them? Is Veronica scared of Luke? Does she care about him? Is she conflicted at all about this? She keeps threatening to leave, and even gets up, but he pulls her back and she seems okay with it. Also, it's noted that Luke "secretly" puts something in his pocket and Veronica noticed. That doesn't set off any alarm bells for her? Clearly there have been issues before this, or else they wouldn't be fighting. I just want to know what's going on in their heads. I want to know why Veronica is staying instead of just leaving when Luke is exhibiting so many red flag abusive behaviors and she clearly recognizes them.

This has a lot of potential, since there are a lot of people who can relate to a partner not treating them well and the conflict that can go on with that. I'm curious as to what's going to happen. Are they going to work it out? Is there going to be another person involved? Is this going to descend into heartbreak?

Looking forward to seeing more from you! Feel free to shoot me a line if you have any questions or comments.




User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:47 pm
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hello Geo and Tigga, Wolf here for a review.

First thing, everytime there is new dialogue, like a new person speaking or the same person speaking after a long pause, a new paragraph must be made. Otherwise, it gets really hard to follow with such enormous paragraphs.

Second, I do notice a lot of unnecessary repetition throughout this. One large example is that Luke is meentioned practically every sentence. Since there are really no other males in this story (or even females other than Veronica) then the names don't have to keep being repeated everytime they do something. That's what pronouns are for. Other spots do something where the same information is repeated twice but just said in different ways, so I would try to avoid spots like that.

The dialogue was quite well written and I found it, for the most part, believable. I can feel their emotions theough the dialogue, which is nice. Their relationship is established really early on, and I like that its easy to kind of tell their personalities. The interactions are great, and the characters are really defined as their own, like I wouldn't be able to mix them up.

I do wish there were more thoughts involved. Wasn't Veronica the least but suspicious that Luke was on his phone the entire movie? How did Veronica forgive him so easily, both times actually. She seemed pretty mad in the beginning, and with just a hug she was okay, same with the second time. I feel like there should be more persuasion, or maybe she walks out and they argue in the lawn of something.

Finally, I feel like there is a lot of telling here. It's a lot of action, and to be honest, I'm not even sure what to imagine in my head for what the place looks like. I get that it's dark, but how's everything arranged? Is the house small? Try adding more descriptions in there with all the actions to help lift off the telling part.

Overall, this was an interesting read, and I hope to see more. Keep Writing,
~Wolfare




User avatar
200 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 200

Donate
Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:37 pm
EmeraldEyes wrote a review...



Hi.

So when I started reading this I found it to be very dialogue motivated. However, as it went on it sort of alternated between dialogue-description-dialogue etc. An interesting combination.

What Went Well

-The use of dialogue in terms of characterisation, it sped up the work and helped with the pacing too
- The style of writing for the target audience and the set-up of the relationships between them and how realistic it was.


Even Better If

- you found a way to combine the dialogue and the action and description together in paragraphs so it looks a bit more balanced and seamless. It will help with the flow. You have the pacing there, but the speech and description should be integrated
- introduce the characters a bit more fully, this is the first chapter and it's the chance for the characters to make an impression.

She leant into him, holding him tightly.
This would be the perfect opportunity to introduce a character description

Anyways. Keep writing :)





Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
— Pablo Picasso