My Name Is

by Noelle

You hate me. Don't deny it. It's fine, I've come to terms with it. I've even come to enjoy it. So please, carry on hating me. I'll just add you to my list and continue my work.

I am lifeless yet alive. I am silent yet loud. I am nothing yet I wreak much havoc. You can't see me coming, but you love to watch me go, shouting expletives until I'm out of sight.

I just laugh. You may have gotten rid of me for now, but I'll be back. Trust me, you'll see. I'm not going to stop. You think you're rid of me, but my terror has only begun. I leave your house and cross the street to visit your neighbors; so kind, so sweet. What a wonderful life they have. Wouldn't it be a shame if something happened...

I hide in cracks and crevices all around. I see your every move. I know your heart and mind as if it were my own. I lie awake at night, planning and plotting ways to outdo myself.

That razor you ran across your arm? I put it by your bedside. That day you got poison ivy? I made sure to add it to that bouquet of flowers you picked. Those voices in your head that tell you you're not good enough? They're all mine.

I feed off of bad actions, words, and feelings. The worse off you are, the stronger I get. I am like a vulture, preying on the weak and dying.

Your suffering is my success. Your pain is my desire. Damn me to Hell for all I care; I'm already there. The devil himself gave me my power and laid out a kingdom for me.

My name is Misery. And my reign will never end.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:36 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hi Noelle! Now you might be wondering why I’m posting a review on such an old work of yours >.> To answer that question, I’m completing some challenges for the RevMo checklist :) Also, maybe you’ll come back if you get a review ;) Let’s hop into it!

So, you've got a very deliberate style for this work, and I think it works well. It has an almost ebb and flow, an answer of call of sorts where the speaker, Misery, is narrating how the reader, the you, reacts to them and how they react back, either with disinterest or malice. It's clear the blunt, choppy sentences are intentional, since it's repeated throughout the work, and it all blends together to give a strong voice to the idea of Misery. It's really effective in putting you on edge and keeping you there.

The only line that I think didn't fit with the rest of the piece was this one:

You can't see me coming, but you love to watch me go, shouting expletives until I'm out of sight.

The sentence starts off in the same answer and call, of "you don't see me coming, but you love to watch me go", so it feels like this section has already concluded. But then taking on the shouting feels like it interrupts the flow that the rest of the piece has set up. It also doesn't feel super necessary, because it gives a bit more agency to the reader than the rest of the piece does. At no other point does the reader "act" like they do by shouting at Misery, which I think works by giving Misery all the power that the reader cannot react to. I honestly feel the piece would be stronger without it, or maybe even something else more blunt. Like "you try to shoo me off, but i'm leaving of my own according. the neighbors look more appealing anyway" which could be another transition.

As it stands, I think it does what you try to accomplish. However, if you were ever looking to revist this or expand this piece, I think there's a lot of ways you can take it. You could take a bit of a horror approach and try to evoke a more, creeping, sinister emotion in the reader. You could play up the hopeless by giving more some more imagery through Misery's actions.

Another possible suggestion for this piece could have an element of escalation. You could almost frame it like a story by starting off small. You can put the reader in the action (again, without agency, because I think that's a strong part of the work), and start with them noticing the little things. The chip in their favorite mug, the pothole on the way to work, the last parking space being taken, etc. And then it starts to build and grow like a tsunami wave until it overtakes the whole piece and Misery takes over, truly "wins". It's an interesting idea to play around with and take this piece to another level ^^

Otherwise, this an interesting legacy piece :) Maybe it will inspire you with another thought bubble.

Happy writing!
~ Wolfe

Matisse says...

This is a really dark and mysterious piece. The personification was very good!

Matisse says...

CreativelyWritten wrote a review...

This story is deep. At first I thought it was going to be about a person and we were supposed to fill in the blank of somebody we hate. Then as I read on I realized it was going to be something else. I didn't scroll down until I had to because I didn't want the answer to be given away.
My favorite paragraph is the fifth one.
Very good story with great personification. Please keep on writing.

netherling451 wrote a review...

It took me a minute to regain my motor speech skills after reading this. It's very well done and seriously eery. I kept trying to guess what "I/me" was. I was thinking "darkness" at first but then the razor paragraph blind-sided me and I had to rethink. I love having to keep guessing and you executed that beautifully. I love the reveal at the end (absolute-should've-known-that moment) and the line "I know your heart and mind as if it were my own. I lie awake at night, planning and plotting ways to outdo myself."
Just... dang.

wtppowers wrote a review...

Well, this hit me hard. It's simple, yet to the point. Misery is the cause of depression. In the speaker's case, it's the cause of everything wrong that has ever happened to him/her. It has a mind of its own, this misery.
When it hides in cracks and crevices, maybe it's planning to trip you or something. Maybe when it goes to your neighbor's house, it's plotting a murder-suicide. Of course, it has led to your cutting and poison ivy. And the worse you feel; the more depressed and worthless you feel, the more powerful it becomes.

BellaRoma wrote a review...

Quite a short story but it packed a mighty punch. As i'm sure others have said the fact that you wait to the very end to reveal the narrator's identity. The idea of misery is excellent and it just shows what a powerful emotion it can be. All the similes and oxymorons really add to the effect and left me just a little dazed but I imagine that the feeling of misery does the same. The emotion is eerily empowered by the way you personify it, I would love to read more of your work.

Sat May 17, 2014 7:48 am
ConfusedGlasses wrote a review...

Wow.
I don't know what to say but I'll do my best ('cause I need points... selfish right?)
Well, here goes. So I like this overall. I really like how you personified the one of the most important feeling that ever existed in the human hypothalamus. Okay maybe I sound a bit too biological. I'm running out of things to say so I guess that's justifying. Any way, keep up the good work. I never thought that misery was the one reigning Hell with the devil. That was definitely original. I'm looking forward to more works like these. Meanwhile, maybe I'll check the rest of your work out.
Best of luck!

artybirdy says...

I'm speechless, in a good way. The personification (is it?) really gives this piece a dark aura and makes it really mysterious. The last sentence just leaves a lingering effect on the reader. Keep up the excellent work!

I liked the description and the flow really made it deep,moving and haunting. What I really loved was the fact you didn't tell who was narrating until the end which really grabbed my attention, making me guess and look behind the words to see was narrating it.

CesareBorgia wrote a review...

Hey CesareBorgia here for a review,

I actually really liked this. It was sort of poetic, but prose at the same time. It's really, really, good.

I have some Nitpicks/Suggestions.

You hate me. Don't deny it.

I like the way it's worded and all, but I would have said it like,
You hate me, don't deny it

I am lifeless yet alive. I am silent yet loud. I am nothing yet I wreck much havoc. You can't see me coming, but you love to watch me go, shouting expletives until I'm out of sight.

I love how you speak of Misery like it is a living entity. But I just want to know what expletives are. :wink:

I think that there should be semicolons where the periods are. I think

This is a really strong ending line. I like it because it's not the kind of ending that just makes you want to know more.

Best of luck in writing,
CesareBorgia

Noelle says...

Expletives are swear words.

TaliaSankEden wrote a review...

Let me begin this by saying thank you. Thank you for putting into words something that has been in my mind for a very long time; you probably did it much better than I ever could.
Anyway, I agree with Sherri's corrections. However, I might add that the paragraph beginning with "I feed off of..." for some reason doesn't flow as nicely as the others. Perhaps it's an issue of rhythm, but it feels oddly out of place. I'm sorry that was quite vague, but perhaps just a reorganization of words could help here.
Other than that, however, I loved it. Some of your sentences were absolutely breathtaking, for instance the sentence about the razor blade. Beautiful work with that entire paragraph among others!
I honestly don't have much else to say. Bravo!

Sherri wrote a review...

Hi Noelle, this is Sherri! :)
I really love the idea behind this story; I used to write poetry with this theme in mind! You executed this near-perfectly with only a few minor mistakes, so great job!
In the sentence "I am nothing yet I wreck much havoc." I think you mean "wreak"; I also consider changing the word "much" to something else, or getting rid of it entirely. It stops the flow of the sentence and caused me to reread it in order to get the meaning right. That might be just me, though; it's up to you.
Finally in the sentence "You think you're rid of me, but my terror has only begun.", I know what you mean, but at first glance it sounds like Misery is terrified. "...my terror has only begun..." sounds like Misery's sense of fear is just beginning, so you may need to specify that a bit better.
Other than that, this is awesome! I'm clicking the 'like' button now!
I especially wanted to note how well you did with keeping Misery anonymous until the end; that probably got kind of hard after a bit--maybe not, but still: very nicely done! I can't wait to see what else you write! :)

Noelle says...

Thanks for catching that! I changed it to 'wreak'. I get those two words mixed up a lot.

can we just be proud Nate isnt selling his bathwater. yewis celebrities are the best celebrities
— fatherfig