tearing

by secretemogirl21

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

The angel

It sits beside me

Red covering its hands

With my heart

Gripping my soul

Leaving me to die

Slowly tearing me apart

Smiling away

Laughing as it pulls out the knife

Cutting through my heart

Slitting my throat

No chance to live

No chance to love

Hadj wrote a review...

Hey there! Hadj battling here for review day victory :)

Ouch. This was violent, creepy, and really amazing :)
It was interesting and unexpected to have an angel attacking the speaker, and so it really made me think.

I would suggest leaving out one of the mentions of the heart
"Red covering its hands with my heart" or "Cutting through my heart", because when I got to the second one I thought, wait, did I already read about their heart being cut?

Other than that this is practically flawless. Great work, and keep writing!
~Hadj

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:14 am
Aley wrote a review...

I was kind of skeptical at first about this being a religious poem because it starts out with "The angel" as a complete line. To me that says that the angel is the most important, vivid image you're going to elect in the poem, and it sort of holds true. I feel like you might want to play with your line breaks a bit more. "The angel sits beside me/red covering his[her] hands/with my heart gripping my soul" If you break it up different, you're going to find a new poem and you might like it better.

Personally I feel like this poem's structure is it's biggest fault. We get through it so fast because of that structure that we don't have time to see the vivid imagery of this bloody angel. If you add more descriptors of the blood on the hands, try to make them less surface, and more like how it would feel or look like it felt. That, along with playing with structure is going to help this poem. You might also consider taking away the capitals because you lack punctuation.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:40 pm
greywords wrote a review...

This is hauntingly beautiful, it really is.

The only thing that I might suggest, and it would depend on where you wanted to put the emphasis, is splitting up the line "Laughing as it pulls out the knife".
So,
Laughing
As it pulls out the knife.

I think that splitting the line helps with the flow of the poem.

Regardless of that though, this is really amazing.

Poetry comes alive to me through recitation.
— Natalie Merchant