In the Blink of an Eye

by strawberrybeaches217

In the blink of an eye,
Anything can happen.
A promise may fly by,
Or a hope may be shaken.

It's hard to know
What a few seconds may hold.
They may bring one low,
Or make one become bold.

I sincerely wish that a blink of an eye
Would only bring good,
Without even one sigh
Which can't be misunderstood.

A blink of an eye may bring heartache,
A blink of an eye may bring strife.
I hope it's all a dream, so that I may awake,
That every blink of any eye would revive a life.

But some hopes are just wishes
That wander off in the aimless wind.
And sometimes we have to build bridges
To get to the finish line of the race and win.

So is there no hope
In the blink of an eye?
Or is a time to cope
Watching as promises fly by.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:18 am
Veni wrote a review...

Hi there Blimey,

First I would like to welcome you to YWS. I hope this place will become as much of a home for you as it for me.

I’m trying to write 125 reviews with 400 plus words by the end of the year. Here is review #2 .

I rarely write rhyming poetry because I can’t do it properly. I feel like there is a lot of pressure to get the schemes and structure of verses right. So I must applaud you on just being brave enough to try. You have done a beautiful job.

There are just a few places where I feel that when it is read aloud your poem does not flow quite right.

The first two verses are good. Each line is of similar length, if not the second and fourth stanzas slightly longer than the first and third. This creates a natural flow within the stanzas.

However the third verse completely throws me.

“I sincerely wish that a blink of an eye
Would only bring good,
Without even one sigh
Which can't be misunderstood.”

The pattern suddenly becomes long, short, short, long. In fact the first line, in terms of syllables, is the same length as the second and third lines combined. This is unusual and interrupts the flow the stanza. It alienates the final line which feels completely unnecessary and like it should not even be included. Also, in my opinion the use of even in

“Without even one sigh”

Sounds like you only added it to get a long enough line. In this context even is being used for emphasis. It would be more convincing perhaps if you said instead “Without a single sigh”.

To be completely honest, I would recommend you completely scrap this verse because it detracts the beauty of the rest of your poem. Try communicating the idea of this verse in a completely fresh way. The rhyming doesn’t work and you shouldn’t be compromising rhyme for flow.

One other thing, about the last stanza. Did you mean “or is it a time to cope” because currently it doesn’t make sense.

I hope I haven’t been harsh because other than that I love the poem. Its idea is fresh, harnessing an old cliché (in the blink of an eye) and analysing it from a new perspective. A little work and the whole can be done full justice.

Keep up the writing and Merry Christmas
Veni

Thank you and Merry Christmas! :)

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:44 am
Emotion1405 wrote a review...

I love this, really puts it into perspective for me how much can happen and change in the blink of and eye. It also puts the question in my head will something good or will something bad happen next time I blink my eye :) Really enjoyed this one, had a great affect on me :)

Aww! Thank you so much! I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:29 pm
lostthought wrote a review...

Hi lime! I'm here to review your poem.

Well I saw no spelling mistakes. That is good since spelling is a common nitpick in all poems. I saw that the person below said that it was too long. For me it looks just right. If it were any shorter it might not make any sense! It has a smooth rhythm and it rhymes just right. Great job!

~lost

Thank you so much! :)

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:03 pm
herbgirl wrote a review...

I liked this poem. You made it all ryhme and flow very well.
I didn't see any spelling mistakes. Which is good.
For me, the first couple stanzas explained it all. After that, I got kind of bored because it seemed like the poem was repeating itself. You might want to shorten it.
At the end you tied it all together pretty well. So in the end I thought it was a ll kind of resolved, and the length seemed fine.
The actual aspect of the poem is nice,too.
Thanks for the read,
herby

Thank you! :)

For in everything it is no easy task to find the middle ... anyone can get angry—that is easy—or give or spend money; but to do this to the right person, to the right extent, at the right time, with the right motive, and in the right way, that is not for everyone, nor is it easy; wherefore goodness is both rare and laudable and noble.
— Aristotle