z

Young Writers Society

Eidolon's Chains

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:05 pm
Squall says...

Claren. Royal Guards. Hotel Param. Room 543. 7 P.M.

They were down to a few measly Earth coins all together. They each had to chip in most of what’s in their pouches over the reception counter. After, Aurelio counted the money up and told the rest of the party to head up to their room while he finished up the last bits of the paperwork.

When they got there, Jason casually flipped the lights on for the ladies, helped himself to a can of coke in the mini bar and crashed onto the sofa that was in front of the television. Refina however were already looking in the cupboard for towels. With Jason watching a Formula 1 race, Maya reading a magazine and Claren slowly acquainting herself with the surroundings, Refina sneaked into the bathroom, turned on the shower and locked the door behind her.

Nothing much happened between Claren and Jason. They were waiting on one another to make the first move. Claren predicted that he would eventually talk, it is Jason after all and he would flirt with any girl that he sees. Then again, she wasn’t the pretty and innocent kind of girl, the type that Jason would go for. And as she looked up to the portraits in the room, she knew that she needed Jason’s knowledge of the human world.

One of them was a landscape of the city at night, illuminated by the lights coming from the apartment windows and of the lamps on the street. As Claren didn’t know what electricity was, she had mistaken the lights as stars happily cascading down, unaware of the heavy traffic below.

In another was a portrait of a girl with brown mid-back length hair, wearing a white dress and straw hat. She was gesturing to some sand castles on the beach, decorated by shells and seaweed. Something about her had made Claren think that it was her mother, the carefree smile, the similar setting that the portrait was in. But regardless, the human world was just as complicated and foreign to Claren, perhaps even more so than before.

“I’m bored!” Squealed Harley, lying on the bed. “Can we go eat yet?”

“Can’t you wait till we’ve all washed up?” said Maya in a motherly tone.

“Maya, it’s alright. I can wait till later,” assured Claren, for she wanted to do something else besides gazing at random things in her room, “we’ll head down after you’ve washed up.”

There was the clicking of the lock and the fumbling of the door knob. Aurelio had finally finished the paperwork downstairs. He had a warm smile on his face, satisfied at how the receptions clerks were so easily deceived with the fraudulent details that he had provided them.

“Coffee?” said Aurelio.

“Oh yes please,” said Maya, helping herself to one of the cups on the carton. Harley scrunched her face as she saw her sipping down the brown liquid. She didn’t get why anyone would like something so foul tasting.

“Hey look guys, I have to go lead another party for the time being. They are having trouble with the mission that they've been given. I’m passing leadership over to you, Claren temporarily.”

Claren’s eyes suddenly lifted, and she quickly spun around to face the Captain.

“But sir…”

“No buts about it. I’m pretty sure you are able to look after the rest of your team.”

There were no objections from the others, not even a comment. They knew that Claren would be fit for the job since she has won many duels against her colleagues back at the Royal Guard’s castle. Either that or they simply didn’t care. It was more of a luxury trip for them anyways. How hard is it to capture someone that looked so young and harmless? Surely this blond haired “girl” wouldn’t be much of a challenge to take down.

When Aurelio left, Jason finally spoke.

“So you’re leader now Claren. I find that rather hot.” He took a deep sip of his coke.

“Be sure not to whip me too hard babe.”

Everyone in the room sighed.
Last edited by Squall on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:38 am, edited 11 times in total.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Octave says...

Harley - Royal Guards - Downtown - 8.45 PM

Harley munched on the apple she'd snatched from the unsuspecting vendor. Who did that stupid girl think she was?

Oh right. She was the new leader. Harley frowned and glared at her apple, remembering what that girl - Claren was it? - said.

"We need earth money. Now. You guys," Claren cast a wary glance at everyone. "I don't care how you get it. Just get some."

Well, Claren said to get it any way she could, right? And Harley could only think of one way. She polished off her apple and tossed the core into a garbage can.

Harley was vaguely aware of the other two girls arguing near her. Refina and Maya - those were their names. To Harley they were interchangeable. The two older girls continued to bicker - ahem, "discuss" - about how to get money.

"Watch and learn, ladies," Harley announced. She moved towards the fringes of a crowd and, before long, found an unsuspecting, unguarded coat. A heavy coat full of something.

She came back to the girls with a wide smile. Maya raised an eyebrow and Refina watched Harley's every move warily. Harley tossed Refina the wallet.

"Here, catch."

"Y-You didn't -?"

"I did." Harley held her head high. "I don't see either of you coming up with money either, so unless you've got a better way I don't see what's wrong with this."
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:37 pm
Lava says...

Maya; Royal Guards

Maya looked at the young Harley who had managed to swipe off the wallet from a poor, unsuspecting soul.
Wow. She surely would be useful that way.

She exchanged swift glances with Refina.

"Okay," said Refina, "Listen Harley, that was good work. Just make sure you don't go around attracting people's attention."
"Don't worry 'bout me. I'll manage. You need to earn some Earth coins as well."
Refina turned toward Maya. "You got any ideas? I mean, we're not slippery enough to pickpockets..."
Maya shrugged."Well, it has to be something that doesn't require much technical skill. So, just look around for something, I guess."

The three of them stared in silence as they watched the crowd shuffle by.
"Hey! What about that?" Asked Refina, a little excited about her discovery. "Look across the street there," she pointed out.

Maya's eyes widened as she understood what Refina was implying. "Refina, do you know how to..?
"I do know something about it. Let's head over there. No better way to find out, right?" Refina interjected.

Saying that, Refina, held Harley's hand as the three of them proceeded to cross the road.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed May 05, 2010 10:20 pm
Elinor says...

Jason Ridley

Claren seemed awfully quiet; too quiet for someone who had just received the promotion of a lifetime. How Jason would kill to have that position! Claren didn't really deserve it either, but Jason didn't want to focus on that too much. He still liked the girl. She was pretty.

On another note, the day had been certainly interesting; this restaurant served very unique food that was unlike anything he had ever tasted. The burger was good; Jason found it strange that mustard was slathered on in such a casual matter.

"So," he finally said, "I must pretty special, eh? For you not to have sent me on the the trip with the others."

Claren blushed and took a sip of her coke. "Well," she said, "I suppose. I didn't want to be all alone."

Jason smiled. "You won't have to be. We've got plenty of time before the others get back. Let's finish this food and get back the hotel, for quality time, you and me if you know what I mean?" He finished with a wink.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun May 09, 2010 4:28 am
Lava says...

Maya; Royal Guards

'Planet Love' was flashing in front of them. Refina had a wild grin plastered on her face while Maya looked unsure.
Harley looked at the other two and announced, "Fine, you guys go ahead. I'll do the needful here."
Refina folded her arms across her chest. "Okay. Make sure you don't wander too far from here. Let's meet at that tree in an three hours." She said pointing to a tree a little away from the club.
The two older girls watched as the younger one walked off casually.
Refina rubbed her hands and said, "Okay Maya. Let's hit the basics before we enter. And leave the talking to me."

They were dressed revealing outfits with sequins all over. Maya fixed her hair into a french twist, letting a few strands down. She smoothed a few creases on the black fabric clinging to her.
This shouldn't be bad. Might be fun, afterall.
Refina tapped her shoulder. "Lookin' hot, Maya!"
Maya laughed as she poked Refina. "Oh, look at yourself."

They headed out of the changing rooms into the stage with strobe lights and smoke. There was a lot of noise as they walked out. Maya gripped a yellow-tinted plastic pole, filled with some liquid and shiny particles. She placed her right foot at the base, ready for the music to lift it up in he air.
Here goes.
It was a daze of music, glitter and lights. Maya found herself quite enjoying all the shaking and busking around.

"Ow. Ref, you never told me the poles would kill me. I'm sore all over."
"It's okay. We did rake in quite a bit."
"Yeah. I never thought these girls were paid so much. Oh look, there's Harley."

Harley walked over grinning. "Guys, lookit what I got!" She said as she fished out a gold coin.
"That'll probably fetch us some more. But make sure you don't get caught, okay?" Maya said, with a stern glance toward Harley.
Refina, took the cash from Harley and they headed back to rooms where they were supposed to meet Claren and Jason.
Claren, our new chief, thought Maya.
Last edited by Lava on Sun May 09, 2010 7:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun May 09, 2010 7:15 am
Octave says...

Harley - 11PM, Alley near Planet Love

Harley didn't tell Maya or Refina, but she'd peeked inside the club when the bouncer was busy flirting with one of the ladies in skimpy clothes. And what she'd seen scarred her for life.

Good God. What the hell were Maya and Refina doing on those poles? Moving up and down and squirming and...Harley didn't want to think anymore. She just walked ahead of the two women, who were counting their money. Their very faces brought back flashes from that sleazy place she never wanted to remember.

Harley felt sick to the stomach. She tasted a sour version of her dinner crawling up her throat and shuddered.

Just then she saw a shock of red hair on the street. A true red, along with a whiff of magic. Could it be...? Her heart beat faster. Was it really...?

She caught a better glimpse of him walking on the street with a little girl wearing a tattered dress by his side.

Yes. It was. It had to be.

She'd found Faust.

Without warning Harley rushed through the crowds, elbowing her way through them and shoving aside the bigger people. "Faust!"

"Harley! Maya, hold this - I'll go catch her! Harley, wait up! Where are you going?"

Someone's coffee spilled onto Harley and she felt herself being shoved aside, but Harley didn't care anymore. She had to get to Faust. Three long years, and they hadn't exchanged a word. How was he? Was he all right? Did he catch the serial killer? Were the servants right? Was Faust really leaving forever because she was such a burden?

She fought back tears and tore through the street. Eventually Refina's cries faded into the noise of the traffic. Harley stopped right in front of the redheaded man with the little girl by his side, breathing heavily.

Faust didn't look different, much. A little scrawnier, a little messier and his clothes were of a different style now. His hair was an odd red color, and he wore a leather jacket, as well as boots. There was something off about him, especially about the way he carried himself, but she didn't care. This was Faust.

The little girl beside Faust clutched her teddy bear to her chest. Was the little girl Faust's new daughter now?

"Faust," Harley breathed. She wiped away her tears with the back of her hand and tried to say something else, but all that would come out was a relieved yet nervous chuckle.

But it didn't matter. She'd found Faust at last.
Last edited by Octave on Tue May 25, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

672 Reviews

Thu May 13, 2010 12:12 pm
Squall says...

Aimee, The eidolon. Room 821 in Hotel Vero. 9:45 P.M.

“Aimee, how come your room has that ointment smell?” Maria asked, having already wandered about the room, sniffing for the source of the smell.

“Hurt my back today while trying to lift some sound equipment.” She wasn’t sure if such injuries can occur because of something as small as that, but Marie and Sammie seem to be buying her story.

“Really? You could have left it to us to carry the last bits of the equipment,” said Sammie.

“Look, don’t worry about me. “ Aimee turned to face the television. The ad break was over and it was back to the News. “Anyways, would you guys be able to get me the thermite after the show tomorrow? I really need it for something.”

She didn’t want to risk using magic for what she plans to do tomorrow night. The Royal Guards were already on her trail, knowing from her past encounters with them. They were always quick to react to a situation, though ever since the war, their ranks had been filled mostly with amateurs. A lot of the veterans had either moved on or retired since you actually don’t really make a lot of money being a member of the Royal Guards. With their rings being able to detect magical energies, it was like inviting a bunch of unwanted fans to her private party. Using thermite however, the Royal Guards wouldn’t be able to pick up on her whereabouts.

“We could try sneaking into the lab during intermission,” suggested Maria.

“Hold that thought,” interrupted Aimee, cranking up the volume on the television. Something on the news had caught her attention.

“...about a block away from Vero, the skeletal remains of what looks to be of a teenage girl was found. Unconfirmed reports say that witnesses saw a worn looking man in his late 20’s to be devouring the flesh of a girl, and then quickly sprinted away and somehow disappeared. ABS Central is beginning to work on this story, obviously calling from our sources and trying to figure out exactly what has happened, but really-“

“Oh my god!” Maria said after seeing the permanent grin on the skeleton.

“No way...”

“Quiet you two; I’m trying to listen to this.” She then shot out of the bean bag that she was sitting on, and then drew open the curtains in the room and looked all the way down.

What she saw surprised her. There were barricades and signs set up along the streets to keep the amassing crowd at bay. Just around the bend, a few more police cruisers had arrived, their sirens still shrieking and flashing after they’ve screeched to a halt. She then heard the booming voice of a police officer shouting through his microphone, telling the crowd to back away.

“I’m going to go check it out. You guys wanna come?”

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Fri May 14, 2010 4:52 pm
LastPaladin says...

Andera: On the run - 10:00 pm

This world was so different, Andera had no idea what to think. Those strange lights, the noise, the people. Being up on a mountain so long, he'd never seen this world. The spires which poked the sky like ugly fingers, the way some woman hung about dressed rather inappropriately to what Andera remembers. It was terrifying and yet also exilerating, the visual response was astounding as he watched the magic screens annouce various ideas. From something called a Ford Fiesta to something called Corn Flakes.

The smell of flesh hung around as people milled about, not even taking notice of him. They were talking to devices, that seemed to scream out before they answered it. What sort of creature did they have in them?

Andera was pushed and bustled, and one time he growled at one, but they did nothing. People just milled about. Uncaring of fact he would eat them in a second if they did anything to bother them.

Dazzling lights, blinded him, what was this world? Even in his mental state he still felt like asking questions. Why were the people just ignoring him. He stuck out like a sore pin. But instead they walked backwards and forwards, crossed at magic poles.

Seeing a building that reminded him of home he walked in and was still confused. But no painful lights, just a calm atmosphere. He would sit here and comtemplate his thoughts.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue May 25, 2010 11:17 am
Rydia says...

Lorcan - Black Mages - Alley - 11:00PM

Rituals were never easy or quick and this was a difficult one; the weave had to be placed just so if he wanted to preserve that tiny brain. Lorcan was good at zombies. Give him a handful of bones and he could make you a zombie creature, but minds were a delicate thing. He sometimes feared that hers had been damaged, that this thing, this abomination was all that remained of her. But no! It couldn't be! He got better every time, it was more Circa, it was... it even remembered sometimes. That wasn't always good.

Finally the ritual was over and it looked whole again. Soft, grey skin that was almost human skin. If he closed his eyes and just held her hand... no. He couldn't think like that. It wasn't Circa. Not yet. The hair was brown and wispy and it fell in tangles to her waist. He hadn't found time to brush it recently. Some big brother he was. She blinked at him with her blue eyes and then smiled shyly.

"There, that's all better isn't it?" Lorcan cooed. It nodded and as he stepped out into the streets, it followed docilely at his side. "Good girl."

Lorcan didn't notice the child until she was standing in front of him, her delicate features holding a depth of expression his zombie sister could never even get close to. She was pretty, brown haired, green eyed and she seemed to think he was somebody wonderful.

"Faust," the girl gasped with something between agony and adoration in her eyes.

"Whoever you're looking for, I'm not him." Lorcan turned away but she was there again, darting in front of him. Lorcan's face showed nothing beyond a weary numbness. An woman of about his age was pushing her way through the crowd but Lorcan paid her no heed.

"But you must be, Faust, it's me! It's Harley! Have... have you forgotten-" the girl's eyes teared up and slowly Lorcan bent down to her level, dabbing at her face with a swift handkerchief. He was used to looking after little girls. His sister had been seven for almost fifteen years.

"Ogres will steal your tears if you don't stop crying. There, that's better, aren't you pretty?" He didn't have time for this. Helping children find their parents wasn't what he'd planned but... it was the tears. Children shouldn't ever have to cry.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm
Tenyo says...

Jackie - Black Mages - 11.00pm

'Excuse me.' The cleaner said. She peeped her head out the kitchen door. Her cheeks where red from effort, and by now she had grown far too tired of the evening shift to have to do this. 'Excuse me!' She said louder. 'Guests aren't allowed in this area.'

He (Jackie) wasn't listening. She picked up her broom and marched down the corridor towards him. 'You shouldn't be down here!'

The man completely ignored her. He kept on walking stiffly down the corridor. At the end of the corridor stood another lady in a cleaners uniform, smoking in the doorway.

'He's been at it for the past hour.' She said flatly. The cleaner looked up at him in slight confusion. 'Sleepwalker. We just got a weird lot booking into rooms sixteen and seventeen.' The smoker stubbed out her cigarette on the brick by the door frame and pulled the door shut quietly. When Jackie reached her she stared him straight in the eyes. 'You need to go back to bed.'

'Back to bed...' Jackie mumbled.

'Room sixteen.'

'Room sixteen...' His eyes widened and he shook his head as if waking up. 'No, no... Creatures in room sixteen.' Fear crossed his face, but his eyes remained blank. Suddenly his head tipped backwards, leaving him looking at the ceiling.

'That's right, room sixteen is up there. That's where you need to go.'

Jackie pulled his head back forward and tilted it to the side.

'You need to go... tell Loreign.' The cleaner tightened her grip on the brush at the mention of her name. 'Flowers in the bin.'

'In the bin?' The cleaner asked. Jackie turned around and started walking past her with his head down, as he had done when he passed her the first time. She waved her chubby hand in front of his eyes, but he didn't even flinch.

'Yellow flower dress, fall asleep, drop fire on it.' He tapped two fingers to his lips in a movement that closely resembled smoking, then pointed behind with his thumb, to the smoker. 'Room sixteen. Creature in room sixteen...' His voice trailed off and he carried on down the corridor.

The cleaner, who's cheeks where already pink from effort, turned a furious shade of crimson when she looked at the smoker.

That night the hotel was in uproar. Those who where sleeping were woken by the arguments, and those who were woken soon found their worst secrets revealed by a man walking back and forth down the corridors, muttering something about room sixteen.
We were born to be amazing.

672 Reviews

Thu May 27, 2010 3:20 pm
Squall says...

Claren. Royal Guards. Fastfood outlet. 10 P.M

It didn’t matter if Claren was given leadership or not. Either way, she’ll look down scornfully at the cohorts that she’s forced to work with, wishing that she had a couple bottles of Dragon Whiskey to temporarily relieve herself from seeing their pathetic faces. Tonight, Claren believed that she was being escorted to a local bar by the skirt chaser, Jason, whom she had to hold hands with after several incidents where she nearly got run over while crossing the road.

After jay walking several more pedestrian crossings, they were standing before a neon logo shaped in a giant M that was flashing obnoxiously at potential customers.

“Mc-Mc what?” Claren was covering her eyes once more. She couldn’t stand the bright lights of the city- which she had once thought to be stars when studying the portrait back in the hotel room. All of the intricate spell symbols that she had to memorize over the years were oozing from her mind like lava from a once dominant and icy volcano, blazing hot and bubbling. Weary lines formed on her face as she squinted, trying to make sense of the word.

“It’s McDonalds,” Jason answered smugly with the intention of mocking her. “How can you not know what this place is?”

Ignoring Jason, she looked at the teens that were sitting on the tables outside the restaurant, noticing that there was nothing that looked remotely like a Dragon Whiskey mug; just some left over fries and burger wrappings.

“You filthy cur!” With her anger rising, she grabbed Jason by the collar and drew him close, inches from his lips, “You said you were going to take me to a human bar! You liar! I’ll have you hanged for this!”

As his punishment, Claren simply shoved Jason to the concrete floor, wanting to get something to drink and to eat than to draw her mace on him. She has already been shaken by the tooting horns of angry commuters and hurled with cat calls by aroused guys for how promiscuous she looked. A well earned break in the corner of McDonalds was long overdue in her opinion.

“No surprise if Aurelio actually left to return to the magical world,” thought Claren, chewing on the straw of her drink. She blamed it on the city’s crazy lights and of how crap her team was. Or was it for Jason’s manners?

"So," he finally said, chewing on half of a burger, chucks of meat and bun spewing out of his mouth, "I must pretty special, eh? For you not to have sent me on the trip with the others."

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon May 31, 2010 1:11 am
Firearris says...

Refina, Royal Guards. 11:00PM

Refina and Maya stepped out of the club, finished with their job for the night. They rejoined with Harley, who gave them strange looks every now and then. Refina pulled a small rectangle piece of paper that the owner gave her 'in advance'. She knew it was called a check and somewhat knew what it was for, but not how to use it. When she looked up again, Harley had started running, dodging people in her path.

"Take this!" Refina said, handing Maya the check as she ran after Harley. She slowed down when she noticed Harley had stopped, and there was a man wiping her face.

He is magic.

She realized, trotting the rest of the way to Harley. Refina grabbed her shoulders and tried to steer her away from the man, but her feet were like bricks. Suppressing a sigh, Refina spoke.

"Who are you?" She asked, somewhat warily.
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

"I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..."
— Unnamed Girl from "Mean Girls"