Young Writers Society

How to Write a Greek Mythology Inspired Novel

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Sat May 11, 2024 2:00 am
View Likes
Ley says...

How to Write a Greek Mythology Inspired Novel

Planning to write or take inspiration from Greek Mythology for your novel? This is the perfect thread for you. I really only lean towards Greek Myth themes for my novels, so here are some tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way to help you get started. Before I completely dive in, I just wanted to say there’s no wrong or right way to write a novel! Everybody has their own preferences and plotting ideals, so take what you wish from this and leave the rest—if needed! Feel free to add additional tips if you’d like!

1.Research Greek Mythology
Most people have a vague idea of basic and famous myths in Greek mythology. My advice would be—before you even start writing or plotting—do some research! Classical texts such as Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey are great passages to get started with. There are also some great fictional novels—such as Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, which is more modernized. You could also go on various websites and read up on some classic Greek myths, here are some of my favorites to reference for your convenience!

GreekMythology.com
Theoi
Mythopedia
History.com: Greek Mythology

Even if you know a lot about a myth already, and you want to take heavy inspiration from that specific myth, there’s always more to learn! Maybe there were secret deities involved that you never realized before, or the names were spelled a little different than what you originally thought. There’s been times when I’ve referenced these websites halfway through my novel, so don’t just stick to researching beforehand. These resources are amazing for in-process writing—or even just to give you inspiration for future chapters.

2. Choose Your Elements
What myths, gods, and heroes do you want to incorporate into your story? Do you want to expand on a lesser-known myth, or modernize a famous one? Do you want to create your own myth? Do you want to interweave multiple stories? These are all questions you should ask yourself in the midst of planning. Jot down some major (or minor) gods, and create some character profiles for them. You may know each god and how they acted in Greek myth, but don’t be scared to immerse yourself more and create your own unique personalities for them!

3. Craft Your Plot
It’s time to develop your plot! Are you drawing inspiration from the Trojan War, the Labors of Hercules, the adventures of Odysseus or another myth? What will be the main foundation for your story? Identify the protagonist’s journey/conflict, are they a mortal hero striving to prove themselves to the gods? A deity struggling with the consequences of their actions? Is this a modern retelling? Define their goals, motivations, and the obstacles they must overcome to achieve them. Write down some personal conflicts, as well as larger conflicts—such as saving Olympus itself or taking revenge on a deity that did your main character wrong.

You could even weave in some subplots and twists: how are you going to keep the reader entertained? This adds depth and complexity to your story. Think about unintended alliances and major revelations. Build towards climatic confrontation or revelations that connect to the main plot of the story. This could mean you’d write an intense battle, moment of divine intervention, and ensure that the resolution remained valued and meaningful.

4. Consider Point of View
Decide on the point of view from which you’d like to tell your story. You could use a first-person perspective to immerse readers in the experiences of a single character, or go for a third-person omniscient perspective to provide a broader view of the mythological world you’re trying to encapsulate here.

5. Start writing!
Writing based on Greek mythology is so much fun. It’s a beautiful way to tell tales of modernized morals, or simply to create your own unique characters that belong in Mount Olympus, Tartarus, or Delphi. Whether you’re doing a Percy Jackson retelling, or creating your own Greek myth, it’s bound to turn out amazing! Just remember your plot points and immerse yourself in your own story. Happy writing!
︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶

Ley
She/Her
Potato Enthusiast

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Sat May 11, 2024 2:12 am
View Likes
keeperofgaming says...

Quite well said. That is actually how I incorporated what I did of Greek mythology into the Prime Control.

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind