z

Young Writers Society

Do you get attatched to your characters?

Random avatar

Reviews: 99
Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:39 am
Niamh says...

I was wondering if any of you get attatched to your characters as well? I definitely do, and in my story, it has come to the point of where my favorite is killed off (and it is imperative to the story, otherwise, I wouldn't do it) but each time I try to write the scene, I pull up the word document and distract myself with other things, because I want to avoid writing that scene. I've already written it once, but I'm writing the second draft, and I don't want to write it again. I guess I'm rambling, but I just wanted to know if anyone else runs into the same problem.

Slainte.

-Niamh
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself." -- Declaration of Arbroath

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:45 am
Snoink says...

Very much so. It's the same way when I write these brutal scenes. It's like, "NOOOOO!" And then you want to kill the bad guys, but I can't because it would be corny and then you have to watch the characters slowly suffer...

And I HATE writing suicide scenes, for this very reason. It sucks. :(
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:04 am
Niamh says...

It's good to know I'm not being wierd then. :) It always makes me feel morbid to write the brutal scenes, even though in my historical fiction, they are necessary.
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself." -- Declaration of Arbroath

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:34 pm
Cassandra says...

Well...I love my characters a lot, but I really have no problem killing them. I suppose that makes me pretty cold-hearted, but there it is. :?
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:40 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

I get attached to my characters as well, it helps me understand them. But I still try to keep myself at a safe distance. Otherwise, I'd likely run into the situations you two have. So far, I have three characters going through some serious stuff eventually, either physically or mentaly. That's when I have to detach myself and let the (hopefully) gripping story unfold. Just make sure you're in a subjective mindset when you write those tough scenes. It isn't easy, but writing never is.

And think about it. If you're going through those feelings, then there's a good chance your reader will be too. And that's writing gold right there. Once you're through the death scene, release your anguish through another character, just try to keep them in character. You could come up with some even more powerful stuff right there. For just brutal scenes, well, I guess you'll just have to handle the mental beating it creates and move on. It'll surely be worth it in the end. 8)

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:44 pm
turtlechow says...

I know exaclty how it feels. In fact, I've avoided killing most of my characters because I'm so attached to them, even the evil ones. Pretty pathetic, but I suppose it's a good thing being attached to the characters because it makes it easier to understand them.
Eat, sleep, write... and when you think you've written enough, then write some more.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:14 pm
Dream Deep says...

I get really attached to my characters. To the point where I don't want to write them getting injured or jilted or whatever because I think of them as real people who I care about. :roll: Which is probably why I'm procrastinating writing the scene where Shan gets the snot beaten out of him...

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:36 pm
Cassandra says...

Roaming Shadow wrote:I get attached to my characters as well, it helps me understand them. But I still try to keep myself at a safe distance. Otherwise, I'd likely run into the situations you two have. So far, I have three characters going through some serious stuff eventually, either physically or mentaly. That's when I have to detach myself and let the (hopefully) gripping story unfold. Just make sure you're in a subjective mindset when you write those tough scenes. It isn't easy, but writing never is.

Yep. That's me all over. My characters have some issues and some suffering to go through. But I guess that, because I kind of had an idea of what would happen to them before they were fully fleshed out, hurting my characters doesn't bother me so much.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:52 pm
Snoink says...

Cassandra wrote:Well...I love my characters a lot, but I really have no problem killing them. I suppose that makes me pretty cold-hearted, but there it is. :?

Well... there ARE things worse than death. Death scenes are also rather quick, but scenes of suffering are the worse. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:34 pm
backgroundbob says...

Yep :) love 'em to bits: always makes me sad to knock 'em off, especially some of the main ones. Though torturing them a bit, well: it only builds character, that's what I say!
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

Random avatar

Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:05 pm
Niamh says...

Once you're through the death scene, release your anguish through another character, just try to keep them in character.
That's great advice. I finally brought myself to write the scene last night. It was very hard, but it's worth it to the story.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:18 pm
Rei says...

I get very attached to my characters. Heck, I practically fell in love with the guy mmy protagonist fell in love with once.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:45 pm
Poor Imp says...

backgroundbob wrote:Yep :) love 'em to bits: always makes me sad to knock 'em off, especially some of the main ones. Though torturing them a bit, well: it only builds character, that's what I say!

Er, rather what bob says. Difficult to put an end, altogether - but the trials, or getting the 'snot beaten out of them'...

As long as they're alive. ^_~

Yes, seriously - how can one write about a character without being attached? A lot of dull books have been written that way; shows through in the dullness.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:09 am
Areida says...

Rei wrote:I get very attached to my characters. Heck, I practically fell in love with the guy mmy protagonist fell in love with once.

*raises hand* I'm definitely guilty of that one. But I have no idea how you could make a character be absolutely head-over-heels in love with another character without being a bit in love with them yourself. Unless it was one of those sadistic, 'I love her even though she absolutely despises the sight of me' things, and those are mostly amusing. Or depressing. Depends, I guess.

But in answer to the original question, yes, I get extremely attached to my characters. But I think you have to have some pretty strong feelings to write about fictitious people for tens of thousands of words. I mean, if I don't either fall in love with, emphasize with, loathe and despise, find utterly fascinating, or laugh every time I write a line of dialogue for them, they'll probably not survive the first draft. They have to interest me in some way, or I'll absolutely dread writing their scenes. Of course, I do get attached to my bad guys sometimes, which I think makes it harder for me to make them evil and sinister and deranged and other such things that make for spiffy fiction.

One of my other problems with getting attached to characters is that I don't want to give them really bad characteristics. Or if I do, I make them seem easily correctable or fairly mild. Anyone else do that?
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:42 am
Wiggy says...

I'm am sooooo with you guys on that. Even though I haven't done much character development, I am really attached to my main character, Fineena, especially. Like there's a lot of characteristics of her that are in me. Or should I say me in her? lol I don't want anything bad to happen to her or her family (well, anyone) but this book has a lot of tragedies in it. Recently, I finally understand how people can fall in love with their characters (*cough* Snoink *cough* :D) because it's finally happened to me! I think it's the mark of a true writer.
And yes, Ari, I've kinda fallen in love with Peter in a way. He's such a strong, quiet, awesome guy and you can't help falling in love with him. It kind of happened to me too in Pride and Prejudice. I kinda fell in love with Mr. Darcy :oops:. You know what i mean lol. Has that every happened to anyone else though?
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

There’s always a story. It’s all stories, really. The sun coming up every day is a story. Everything’s got a story in it. Change the story, change the world.
— Terry Pratchett