z

Young Writers Society

Fantasy story using snowflake technique

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Mon May 08, 2006 8:58 pm
-KayJuran- says...

NB. Please bear in mind that there is no story to critique yet, but this will appear soon...

I figure the reason none of my stories seem to be working is because my outlining isn't quite up to scratch, so.. that's why I recently tried the snowflake technique.

However, the last time I tried this, I failed again. Now I'm pretty sure this snowflake technique works, so I don't want to give up on it. I'm guessing I made the one-sentence summary too vague last time, so this time I'm going to post mine here, and ask advice, such as whether it should be more specific etc. before moving on to the next part of the process, and posting it here. I know a lot of other people use this technique and others, so I hope I can get some help with this.

Okay, here was my one-sentence summary for my last story..

"A young man’s curiosity leads him and others into trouble when he decides to follow up wild rumours."

I mean, seriously, how vague is that! That could be anything...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is my NEW one-sentence summary::

"A group of alchemists use their new skills to slowly 'replace' the old monarchy."

The idea I've got in my head is this::

There's a world where alchemy is common. Pure magic itself doesn't exist however. Alchemy is used in conjunction with science - though science seems to be a new thing, sort of medieval - and is popular among the rich as well as the middle class, though not the poor or working class as the materials are too expensive.

The story starts when a group of alchemists accidently find a potion that will make you look like someone else - think polyjuice potion - but requires a few drops of that person's blood, aside from the other secret ingredients. At first the group aren't sure what to use this for, and hide the discovery.

Later, a young nobleman/woman (the main character or one of them), is knocked unconscious and dragged to a room, where they are locked in. They awaken alone and frightened.. and with bandages wrapped around a cut from a knife between the hand and the wrist...

Please tell me how it sounds so far, and what I can do to improve. I especially need comments on my one-sentence summary, so any help would be very much appreciated. :P

Thanks,

~Kay

PS. Mods, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it..
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Tue May 09, 2006 12:17 am
Prosithion says...

Hi.
I've found that it is harder to write after you plot and outline and all that stuff. You do all that stuff and it takes a while to get motivated again. Try just freeflowing. Then, after you finish, go back over it and change stuff. All my stuff seems to turn out better after I freeflow.

good Luck

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue May 09, 2006 12:25 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Freeflowing is great for practice, but for a serious story, I would use an outline.

This is the first time I've seen an author work on an outline before starting the story. I'm impressed. I hope it catches on. This way, the reviewers can tell you if you actually accomplished your goals for a said piece of work.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue May 09, 2006 12:32 am
Poor Imp says...

KJ wrote:"A group of alchemists use their new skills to slowly 'replace' the old monarchy."

What with the summary, following, I like the sound - seems to have a good source of suspense and mystery, and innumerable ways to tell it (POV, tense, etc.).

As for myself...I don't actually outline; at all. It's always nettled me to no end - and I can't write anything outlined before I hear the character's voice and follow it... But aside from all that -- this does look an interesting experiment. I'll second Reas - free write might better get you into the story. If the outline works though - good luck. I'll be back to see how it works. ^_^
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

324 Reviews

Tue May 09, 2006 4:32 pm
-KayJuran- says...

I like freewriting to find out what the story's going to be about, but I've always had trouble finishing a story, and lots of people have recommended this technique so.. yeah, that's why I'm using it.

So.. um, any more thoughts on the one sentence summary? I'll post the next stage once I'm done, but it'll be interesting to see if anyone has anything to say before then.

Haven't thought much about characters yet.. might try freewriting and think of some that way. :P

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue May 09, 2006 4:59 pm
zell says...

Well it sounds amazing, you could do some sort saying thing you know like in some movies eg. like in the matrix theres a saying thing.

~if you don't understand a word i said then just pm me and i'll try to remember what i acctually meant.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon May 15, 2006 7:31 pm
Dream Deep says...

I thought that sounded pretty good.

Curious, though, and please forgive my ignorance - what exactly is the snowflake technique?

Anyway, I like the whole alchemy bit. It's very good, sort of like the eumedicos in Gayle Greeno's Finders-Seekers.

I REALLY look forward to reading the posted piece, KayJuran!

324 Reviews

Mon May 15, 2006 8:15 pm
-KayJuran- says...

You don't know the snowflake technique?! Well, we can't have that now, can we?

Snowflake Technique

There you go! :P

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon May 15, 2006 8:19 pm
Snoink says...

Kay has the Snowflake Technique on her blog. It's really kind of neat.

The Snowflake Technique

Anyway, this sounds like an AMAZING story. Combining science and medieval lands and... it just sounds superly cool and is something I would so totally read.

I like the one sentence that you came up with.

"A group of alchemists use their new skills to slowly 'replace' the old monarchy."

This tells us a couple of things. There's a specific group of people who have discovered new skills, presumedly in alchemy (I can't spell worth squat, but forgive me) and they're replacing the old monarchy. So out with the old, in with the new!

So exactly how are they going to do this? Perhaps the monarchy is stuck using the old methods and will not step up to the new ones, no matter how good they are. Maybe the alchemists have hidden this secret so they can purposely throw down the government... but something goes wrong. I would go with the latter and have a bunch of betrayals and all that neat stuff.

But OMG!

You better write it, or otherwise I'm going to hunt you down and FORCE you to...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

324 Reviews

Mon May 15, 2006 8:25 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Hehe, I'll make sure I keep you updated then. :wink:

I'm not going to start actually writing the story until I've got further with the outline, but I might post some freewriting bits as well, so I can get to 'know' the characters.

I've decided I like the idea of combining magic and science, so this could be really fun to write.. :P

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon May 15, 2006 8:33 pm
Snoink says...

*cheers*

Remember, try to write a couple of writing practices. They can be short stories or poems or whatever, but they let you experiment before you write. So, when you finally start writing, you're a little bit more sure about the style, your message, etc. And it also feels like you'er doing something a little more productive than just editing continuously.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

324 Reviews

Mon May 15, 2006 9:16 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Thanks, Snoink! That sounds like really good advice. :P :P :P

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon May 15, 2006 11:56 pm
Dream Deep says...

Hey, Kay: Your snowflake technique is very cool.

It also looks suspiciously a lot like fractals in mathematical chaos theory. ^_~

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:18 am
Black Ghost says...

I'm using the snowflake technique, but I kind of feel like step three and four should be reversed...but that's just me.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:55 am
Swires says...

like the idea of your Story Kay, it seems like an interesting concept and slightly dark. Id like to read it.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

When Larry King retires in 120 years John Mulaney should replace him.
— The Internet