z

Young Writers Society

Polls with Writing

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:08 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Sometimes I see authors have polls at the top of their work. Usually they ask random or redundant questions.

Examples include "What do you think of this story" and "Wimp or Shrimp?"

These examples are also very optimistic. Usually it goes along the lines of "Duz Zis Suk?" or "LLAMA!" (I confess I love the latter in it's random beauty.)

Really though, what is the point to having a poll like that with a story? If it is random, then it is completely unnecessary, so why should I waste my time? If it is an opinion poll, why should I bother? If I care enough to answer a poll, I sure as heck can care enough to write a critique.

Perhaps this is a new fad in fiction. Yes, that's it. I'll open up the next Harry Potter and find a "Dew U Lyke zis buk or duz it suk?" poll.

All I'm saying is this: if you include a poll with your post, make sure it is with the story so I can properly critique you.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:40 pm
Areida says...

I agree. I see the point of having one, if you want to get reader feedback at a glance, but at the same time they annoy me. Maybe if you're asking a more specific question such as, "Should the main character's sister die?" or something like that, but a grand, sweeping, general question (with awful grammar) like, "Do u Like thIs StOrY???" is beyond annoying.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:44 pm
Snoink says...

You should have a poll here...

No, seriously, one reason why we critique is because we want to go beyond the usual questions of, "Is this good or bad?" No. A story, poem, etc., cannot be simplified that simply. Thus, we comment more than we vote. So yes, if your poll serves some relevence to the story, then fine, but if it only serves to boost your ego, then don't do it. You may not like the results. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Sat May 17, 2008 3:21 pm
Ross says...

I agree with Snoik. If you simply add a poll to boost your ego, then it's bad news!
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

“If lightning is the anger of the gods, then the gods are concerned mostly about trees.”
— Lao Tzu