z

Young Writers Society

Shy

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:59 am
hero says...

I need advice. Every so often, I write a work, its page number is over 550 pages, and then I sit back, and worry.
I get really nervous, extremely timid, before posting a work. Thoughts such as 'What if everyone thinks it isn't YWS standard?' or 'What if people just look at it and think, "OK, this is a bad piece of work."' Basically, I have confidence issues.
Does anyone else ever feel really, really nervous? If so, what do you do?

By the way, after the work has been posted, I go through 'Panic' stage for one minute, and then am fine. Its just the posting that makes me go all worried.
This guy is so evil you could put him in between two slices of bread and call him an evil sandwich.

Coming at you like a jetpack Shakespeare.

Hero's Reviews
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic53905.html

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:43 am
alwaysawriter says...

I used to get that all the time. What helps me is asking another YWSer to read it over first. They tell me what they think of it and what I may want to improve. It gives me a little confidence boost when there's not many grammatical errors or whatever. Maybe you can try that? I could help you, if you wanted. :)

-alwaysawriter/Kat
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:36 am
Jetpack says...

I used to get that a bit. I think the worst bit is waiting for the reviews to come through, and not knowing whether it's good or bad. So like alwaysawriter said, you could PM someone to read it first or go and post on Will Review For Food - make sure you have some reviews lined up. That way you'll get everything done quickly and you won't have to think about it so much. If you're going to get reviews straight off, I find it helps dissipate the nerves, and with the new targets to keep unanswered works to an absolute minimum, this should be easier. I don't know whether that would help you, but it works for me.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:16 pm
Incognito says...

I, being in close cahoots with failure, figured out that if you worry about your piece because you are unsure of how people are going to think about it, just adds more complications to becoming a better writer. You have to figure out that it is your writing, and you write from your heart, not to impress others. YWS is a great way to better yourself in ways that you thought you could never actually do, and all the people on this site are writers. They know how it feels to put up your piece of writing, to get it ripped to pieces. Nobody's writing is perfect, and if people have the courage to post it on here, no piece of writing is horribe either.

Don't get worrid about it, writing is an expression of yourself, and nothing put on here is not worthy.
~Incognito
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:20 pm
Rosendorn says...

One thing to know about YWS is: Even if we think the work is bad, we'll usually tell you how to fix it. ;)

Standards are all over the map, really. Some people think their writing is terrible when everybody else says it's good, while others think their work is fantastic when it's... not. The fact that you are worried is good in one sense. It means people won't want to knock your ego down a few pegs from how proud you are of your work. Don't say your work sucks right from the start, then people will wonder why they should bother reading, and if you want to put a note about how you don't exactly like the work, put it at the end. Better yet, don't put a note and see how people like the work without your opinion!

If you're really worried about your baby getting ripped up, try posting some short stories to get your confidence up and to get used to posting your work. A short story is a bit easier to watch getting shredded than a long novel. (In my opinion)

I do hope to see your work posted. ^^ Once you start posting stuff, you get slightly addicted to the comments and want to keep posting. It's a good thing, and all it takes is one story posted!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:46 am
ankhirke says...

That feeling doesn't ever really go away completely. God knows, I've been posting in online forums/critique sites for several years now, and I still always get that "oh, crap" moment right after I've clicked the submit button. But then I get all the lovely, lovely constructive criticism and can't stop reading through it. It's just a matter of learning to ignore those feelings long enough to press the button.

Also, it's a matter of trusting the critique site you're on. I've been on some pretty bad ones, and one or two excellent ones. YWS falls somewhere on the upper-middle part of that scale. No one here's going to be brutal or mean, but that also sometimes means that they'll gloss over things a little. I find that it's a great site to introduce you to the concept of group critique, overall. So don't fear. We're all here to improve our writing, and everyone knows that.

Be Brave!
~Annie

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:40 am
Auteur says...

Why should you feel shy? Gosh I just love sharing my work on YWS^^ It's because I know I've written something good (usually), and I believe that people will like it and/or help me with my mistakes. Nobody ever gives terrible feedback anyway, that's why YWS is so special^^ Sorry if this offends, I'm just a very confident person lol
Most people see what is and never what can be. - Albert Einstein

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:21 am
GreenGiraffe says...

Sorry if I sound insensitive but, I haven't ever felt shy about sharing my work with others On the internet well, because your're pretty much anonymous, even if someone knows your email.

And by that logic, I couldn't care less about posting my stories on the internet, because even if i fail, like major fail and by some weird happening everyone on YWS turns into a complete well, uh... lets just say meanie. And then they all review my story and say its evil and horrible and blah blah, I can just make a new account, and start all over again.
But I wouldn't have to do that, because people on YWS, from what I have found, are rational. nice and helpful.
So, the terrible story would just have a lot of improvements added to it!
Hooray for Young Writers Society!
Click here to make a clicking sound

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:48 am
Lia says...

Why do you think I haven't posted anything till now? :lol: And I am a published young writer. You would think I have more courage than that and post something I'm working on without thinking twice.
Hugs
It will be okay as all above me said. :wink:
Just close your eyes when you click submit and everything will be over in no time

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:03 pm
Talulahbelle says...

I can completely relate (I too am lacking some confidence)! Everytime I get on here to post something my stomach knots up and I get really nervous. That anxious feeling hangs with me for days as I check and recheck any reviews I get. I think I would be okay except that I don't get many reviews (so I have to get them from Will Review for Food) and I constantly wonder "What's the matter with mine? Why aren't they reviewing it? Does that mean its worse? Oh Lordy!"
But the good thing is that everyone on this site is really nice but honest too, so really there's nothing to worry about.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:05 pm
captain.classy says...

you are talking to the most nervous and without-confidence girl you will ever meet. I get the same way, and it doesn't help when I post on here and I only get about two reviews. But, if your published, you don't have to worry. I'm sure your writing is beautiful ;)

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:47 pm
allycat_redrosedreamer says...

I can imagine how you feel. I'm completely new to YWS and I have NO idea what to expect ... I just think that it's finally time that I got my books out there instead of hording them in my "Secret Computer Files".

I used to post my stories on Facebook for my friends but then those so-called "friends" started using my work. I guess you can't really stop people from plagiarising. Once the idea is out of your head, it's out of your head and there's nothing you can do to get it back in. Sad, isn't it?

Anyway, I've come to realise (sorry it took so long to to get to the point) that in the writing world you just have to suck it in and accept the constructive criticism and ignore the bad, not-so-constructive stuff. I need to try and take my own advice now :mrgreen:! (Wish me luck)

You shouldn't worry. Loads of other young writers feel EXACTLY the same way. It's alright :D

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

~ allycat

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:36 am
PenNPaper says...

It's normal to feel that way. I'm new here too, just started a few days ago. The people here at YWS are nice, even if they think your work is bad, they will definitely say something good about it..unlike some other sites i've been to...ugh.

I keep checking and rechecking if I have any reviews too. Just that I love to get reviews, so that I know how to improve my work. :D
Writing is all about imagination~

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:20 am
SplitPin says...

Well I don't care if it's bad anyway. I try not to think about it. After all, we're not here to make snide remarks about bad writing, we're here to give critiques on you story, so it can become good writing, which is good because then you'll have more confidence in giving it to people you know in real life.
Even so, you only know us on the internet, it isn't like we're going to come in to your house and beat you up *shudders at bad memories*
Just joking, even if someone is annoying you online, there's always a 'block' button.
So go for it!
"There can never be a perfect story. It is the perception of the reader that makes the story great."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:19 am
Snoink says...

Oh gosh... I can totally relate. I hate posting my new work up here, lol. Especially stories! Poems are one thing... stories are like soul-dumps for me and just the thought of them getting torn to shreds kills me. However, you get to meet a lot of people who are willing to support you, thick through thin, in the writing process. Lord knows, I've posted things that totally sucked and have gotten torn in shreds, but I've also made a lot of friends with my critiquers. So it balances itself out, in the long run. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler