z

Young Writers Society

Name Game #1

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 pm
bookworm201 says...

I have two questions about naming things, but this one's more important- I'll ask the other one later.

I want to give a character a certain name, but I have a cousin with the exact same name. I picked the name before I realized the connection, but still want to use it.

So my question is- can you name a character after someone you know? Can you name a character after yourself? Is there anything you can't name a character?

I'll post my ideas later.
"reading one book is like eating one potato chip."
-diane duane in so you want to be a wizard
[url=secondday.proboards.com]best rpg ever[/url]

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:08 pm
Stori says...

Never having been published, I'm not sure what the rules are.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:27 pm
Icaruss says...

Yes, you can.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:00 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

There is no rule saying you cannot name a character after someone. It's not as if they have a copyright to that name. Any reason you wouldn't want to name a character a certain name would have to be personal, as there is nothing at all that restricts you in that sense.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:54 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

It's not against the law, but I think they had something on if you're writing, say, a memoir and you use that specific person's name, first and surname, and you slander against them it's against the law, or something like that. It was in the recent issue of Writer's Digest, look on the website for it or something. But I know a person sharing the name of basically all the characters I have, though it doesn't necessarily represent that person.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:00 am
Wolf says...

I'm not sure about the naming a character after your cousin--it seems fine to me, but who knows what wacky laws they have now a days? :roll:

You can name a character after yourself, but I wouldn't if I were you. Some people might, just might, think that you are a Mary-Sue or something ridiculous like that.
Well, actually, maybe you could name a character after yourself. I still wouldn't, but some semi-important character probably wouldn't attract any negative comments.
However, if you name the main character/hero after yourself, well...Suffice to say that that would be a big Mary-Sue.
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 am
Elelel says...

Seeing as it would be weird if you couldn't give a chracter a name someone else had, I'd say you probably can. But you may want to ok it with your cousin first, so they know you're not actually basing the chracter on them and stuff.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:00 pm
logosgal says...

You can give a character the same name as someone you know without actually naming the character after that person. It just depends on your reasons for giving the character that name, and on how similar the character is to that person.

I actually have a character who happens to have the same name as a cousin of mine, but they're nothing alike, and, like you, I didn't even really think about the connection until after I had gotten attached to the name. If it's a common enough name, probably no one will even notice.

I wouldn't really advise naming a character after yourself, though. (A) I think that would be too weird, and (B) what Ayra said.
Home is where the books are.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:17 pm
Emerson says...

Like PH said you just have to worry about slander... Otherwise using someone's name that you know is just coincidental. In fact, I named some of the characters in a play of mine after my friends.

I would never name a character after myself though; I think it would be too odd.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:19 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Cpt. Smurf wrote:There is no rule saying you cannot name a character after someone. It's not as if they have a copyright to that name. Any reason you wouldn't want to name a character a certain name would have to be personal, as there is nothing at all that restricts you in that sense.

Aside from Chuck Norris, of course. ;)
ohmeohmy

Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
— Viktor E. Frankl