z

Young Writers Society

Writing a Fight scene

Reviews: 4
Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:50 am
redneckgirl91 says...

Hello my fellow writers

In my book (novel) i need to write a physical fight scene- the one I have now Is kinda dull and doesn't really grab the reader- so can anyone please give me tips as to how to write a Fight scene? Please?
Due to a Lack of Intrest, tommrow is Cancled

Mike Nesmith of the Monkees

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:39 pm
alleycat13 says...

Okay, is a quote from one of my other posts. Found here-->http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic18277.html It also included a huge article by Firestarter on how to write big, army involving battle scenes. My advice is more for a duel, which I think is what you want.

Obviously, if its a duel, its probably the climax of the battle or struggle or whatever it is. And, for me, I find that the most successful battle/climax scenes are the concise ones. Tell what needs to be told, nothing more or less. If you're thinking of using a word or phrase you've never used or need to look up, forget it. No one wants to be distracted or have a super long, boring climax.

Change points of view. What I like to do is--if combatant 1 shots/slashes/attacks combatant 2, follow the motion. The reader is imagining 1 attacking 2, so go with their minds' eye. Follow the attack and block, and change POV.

Maybe it sounds childish, maybe superficial, but it works for me--pretend its a movie. Picture the scene and get the pacing. If there's an amazing dodge by one character or an awe-inspiring charge, which would be featured in slow motion in the movie, then describe it in slow motion (not slowly, but with more detail and/or sentences).

Environment. If your duel is on a castle-top, use the fear of falling to your death as fuel for the fight. If it takes place in a cluttered room, have your combatants hurl random stuff (this can be humorous, if you want it to be). Your battle takes place in the forest. Cool. Have them dodge behind trees, trip over logs, get snared in thorn bushes. Punish your fighters with the environment.

Along with that-- Don't keep your battle in the same little 5x6 area. Use all the space available. Rooms--use the walls, ceilings, staircases, not just the floor. Forests--have one fighter bolt, and the other give chase. Make them jump a river. Ect.

Experience and rejection. It's simple, the more you write battle scenes, the better you get. Me, I normally write at least 3 different versions/scripts of each scene. Don't be afraid to do the same. You may come to a point where the hero has to choose--save the damsel or rescue his pal. Write both and see which one speaks to you.

So, hopefully that was helpful. Good luck!

That's a general answer. I am not an expert on this subject, but I am more experienced than the average writer with fight scenes. If you have specific questions, reply here or PM me, and I'll help you as best I can.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:49 am
redneckgirl91 says...

Thanks for the advice, It kinda sorta helped- thanks!

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:34 pm
alleycat13 says...

Only kinda-sorta? okay... :cry:

I tried.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:02 pm
redneckgirl91 says...

Awww, don't be upset, im going to be doing a kind of a battle/duel scene in my book too, and I'll use all the advice you gave me !

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:30 am
snap says...

Is this a hand-to-hand fight? I'm assuming so. :) I second Allycat on using all the space. And be original. Think about the surroundings, and find what your Main Character can use and how. I recently read the work of a friend, and the fight scene he had featured the Main Character chucking a pot at the antagonist. It wasn't something you normally see in fight scenes, but it was slightly humorous, and I could see the Character's thought process when he did it. Have your characters be inventive.

I think the key is imagining the fight, move by move, in your head. That way you can bring your readers right into the fight with you. Have your antagonist do a wild kick, the heel of his boot narrowly missing the protagonist's head. In response, have the protagonist drop and roll under a table, kicking said table from underneath with enough force to send it flying toward the antagonist. But you have to know exactly what's going on.

Does that hlep, a bit? :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:51 am
redneckgirl91 says...

That helped, although the Fight isn't really with the Main Character, but it did help!

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:46 am
snap says...

Glad to be of service. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:13 pm
Fishr says...

How physical is this "fight?" And what type is it again? Maybe if you could give a general outline of your fight scene will help us help you. ; )

As for me, I'd say more than half of my cast, if not all twenty some odd characters are involved in physical fights (and verbal) at some point in time. These fights can range from the extreme such as burning a house or burning a person in effigy to the less such as a swift knock into the jaw by the barrel of a gun.

Hehe... One of my characters once got into a fight with a horse, LOL! The animal almost won. My character rolled just in time before the front hooves came down upon his chest.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler