z

Young Writers Society

Questions for a fantasy writer, generally on preparation

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:48 pm
Esmé says...

When starting a new fantasy novel, how much time do you take for world building? List every single race, write down their characteristics? Do you do a lot of research? E.g. if your story is set in the medieval ages, do you try to find out how life really was back then? Do you draw maps, invent new languages? Do you write down the characteristics of your main characters? Do your brainstorm? Write plans? Or just write, without any preparation?

-elein

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:56 pm
Swires says...

Drawing Maps is the biggy. I do that first then plan out each culture.

http://hollylisle.com

on the writing section there are invaluable resources.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

571 Reviews

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:01 pm
Esmé says...

Ha, yes, i followed the link. Great site xD

571 Reviews

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:25 pm
Esmé says...

I am currently learning about daggers, lol. And if anyone could answer my tongue question in the Research section it would be great xD

-But, not wanting to only litter the thread, I'll answer my own questions.

When I started to write I didn't think much about worldbuilding, I just wrote and that was the end of it.

Nowadays I take my time. I sometimes even draw maps (ha, thery're readable only to me!!!) I write more background information, I researxh the topics that are essential. basically, my room is littered with papers, hehe.

-elein

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:32 pm
Snoink says...

I hate doing maps. BUT I *will* research medieval times, blacksmithing, shepherding, feudalism, weaving, etc., just to get the main things. Then, after know how the society works and what runs it, I can figure out what the culture is. I also research mythologies from the past so I can combine the mythologies into a new religion.

Yeah... I'm crazy.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:37 pm
Sureal says...

I sit down, write with only a vague idea of what I want, and hope for the best.

Not recommended, unless you enjoy surprises.
I wrote the above just for you.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:56 am
Alteran says...

I usually star off with something small. Some of my stuff starts with a single name. if it's a good story the wolrd follows and flows nicely. Usually. I go back often to double check what I've written.

The main thing I check is language. Sometimes when the story hits you there is no time to plan. :)
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:16 am
Myth says...

I'm with Sureal, I just write and things sort themselves out for me. But it only works sometimes, a few of my characters tend to be rebellious from the start and don't co-operate.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:43 am
tinny says...

I plan things out, but only in my head, because if I write things down it makes them feel more definate, whereas in my head they can change alot more. Sometimes I'll write things down, but that's only If I know I'm going to move onto something else and don't want to forget main points or little details.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:05 pm
DancingRain says...

I don't really plan that much I just let my creative flow go through my mind first. Then I go back and make changes and write everything down. The only thing I do is do research on the races I have and stuff like that.
"but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo" Fred or George Weasley
*Formerly Tanis*

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:01 pm
_fallingstar_ says...

When I'm starting something new, I just start writing. These first drafts I get are horrendous, but aftyer that initial stage I'm able to keep what I want and get something vaguely resembling a story.
My high school senior mascot is a dragon. Take that, monkey!

Blackle.com--saving energy one search at a time.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:38 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

I'm working on a map for my world right now. It just got so complicated to keep up with where everything was, I decided to make one. I'm having a lot of fun with it, drawing the landscape, naming cities, and what not.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground.
— The Bee Movie