z

Young Writers Society

Setting in Short Stories

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:21 am
Myth says...

When writing short stories I prefer to keep description of the setting to a minimal. It isn't the most important element of the story as I try to build up suspense or menace through descrption of characters or speech, rather than the surroundings.

What about everyone else? Does the setting have to be as descriptive as the character?
.: β‚ͺ :.

'...'

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:43 am
Firestarter says...

I guess it's more true in short stories that one must make every word count -- you can't waffle or go off the point too much, with long lengths of description. So I'd have to partially agree -- settings/description don't become neccesarily less important, but you just have to write them in more succinct ways that don't distract from the main theme of the story, as it were.

That's probably true of everything in a short story. Bah, probably why I can't ever write them.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:52 am
Snoink says...

It depends on the character and what's happening. For instance, "The Lady and the Unicorn" went overboard on description compared with "The Death Parlor" as far as setting goes, but that makes sense, considering both stories.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:00 am
Emerson says...

It depends. Sometimes, if they are in a room, I go as much as the furniture and the feeling of the room.

Other times, if its very important, I get deep, but with as little words as possible. It's a short story, so description probably shouldn't take up too much of the word count.

(Of course, my short stories are always 2k or less so I never have much room to work with.)
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:24 am
Alteran says...

It's hard for me cause i have a hard time with short things. Usually i give the bare minum details of a setting to get that basis so the readers imgaination can see somthing. Everyone tends to see something different in my stories.

I guess depending on where and what the setting is is when you decide how much to describe it.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:13 pm
Unrecompensed says...

I guess it's more true in short stories that one must make every word count -- you can't waffle or go off the point too much, with long lengths of description.

You can't do this anyway. A waffle is a waffle, right?

Your prose should be as tight in a short story as they are in a novel. As for setting, it's important when it's important. Sometimes the scene takes a back seat, other times it's driving. It all depends, I think.

- FoY
Merry Jesus-was-born Day

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:04 pm
Firestarter says...

Waffle was the wrong word. I just mean long descriptions. Lots of authors have lengthy prose.

What I meant was that I'm usually more forgiving of a novel that has lengthy descriptions (as long as they're interesting and good) compared to a short story. Thus, I like to see short stories with tighter prose.

I can see your point that it should be the same in short stories as novels but that would be assuming the art of writing novels is the same as writing short stories, which isn't something I agree with. I think they're totally different mediums. Novels can have the liberty to go off the point and wander, because they have further to go to get to a conclusion and hence more freedom to get there. Short stories have to be sharp and to a point, in my opinion, to truly work.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:08 am
Mr. Everyone says...

I find when writing a short story I can describe my settings in more depth than in longer stories because I find that my mind gets tired of describing settings in a long story.

keep writing guys and =) happy reading (=
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

they got that magical iridescence that you don't expect to be on a sky rat y'know
— Ari11