z

Young Writers Society

What are you reading at the moment?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:36 am
Elizabeth says...

Areida: TKAMB (To Kill.... etc) Is a good book.

I have about 5 WW1-Holocaust-WWII books I'm reading... one of them is NIGHT by Elie Weisel (pronounced Vie-zel). It was a good book, and then there are several others. People should read these.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:31 pm
smaur says...

Yay, Perks of Being a Wallflower!

... okay, right now? I just finished re-reading V For Vendetta, by Alan Moore, which is (thank goodness) five hundred times better than the crappy movie. Also in the middle of The Ray Bradbury Chronicles, and some Terri Windling/Ellen Datlow anthology. I'll probably start The English Patient, by Michael Ondaatje, sometime this weekend. Maybe not.

Er, also in the middle of three or four different graphic novels, all of which are varying degrees of Super Awesome, but whose names I cannot currently remember for the life of me. (There's Lucifer and Transmet and Hellblazer, and potentially some other stuff. My memory sucks.)
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:55 pm
Poor Imp says...

I was just reading (now finished) Adam Bede by George Eliot. It was a wonderful read -- and it actually took more than a day to get through. I'd never read George Eliot before.

At the moment though - or near enough - I'm reading Silas Marner (George Eliot again), The Little Bookroom - it's a collection of hilarious short stories and fairy tales; and something else...

Ah well.

This thread will never end with how quickly people read around here... ^_^
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:05 pm
Firestarter says...

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is one of my favourite books.

Right now I'm reading Talyn by Holly Lisle.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:37 am
Meshugenah says...

Who wrote that, Jacko? I can't remember.. and I need to read it.

I've just finished a huge essay on the Vietnam war. That was fun until about half-way through all the books.. yeah. That's where the political stuff ended and the nasty stuff started.

Apparently, we're reading The Great Gatsby in english now (sp?).. eh. I'm reading Death of a Salesmen in english, too, but not the way my teacher wants. I just read it, forget everyone reading aloud (minue Terrwyn, a friend who signed up here, and only posted a few poems. sadly; she's an actress/poet. and brilliant to boot).

Other than that.. I've been reading Leave Myself Behind. I grabed it becuase it looked good.. even though it was compared to Catcher in the Rye. And I really like it. What else, what else.. this crazy combined edition of the What If books.. but they have Ambrose.. the person (other than dad and grandpa) who turned me to history. ah, the joys of sarcasm.. Too America was really good.

Did I mention I read several books at once? I'm also reading all my AP review books, and Latin books. The joy.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:09 am
Twitch111 says...

I am reading Otherland by Tad Williams. If you need a book read it. It is a great book. it is probably on my top ten list maybe five.

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:53 am
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

I hated TKAM, Right now i am reading D Day: June 6, 1944: The Climactic Battle of World War II It is by Stephen E. Ambrose, it is a pretty good book, but I have barley started it. A little confusing, i will have to have a small portable dictionary with me and maybe an encyclopedia on weapons and war machines and the like. But yea, i like it.
Life's a B*tch, slap it upside the head.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:04 am
Snoink says...

Dr. Melissa Palmer's Guide to Hepatitis Liver Disease

Really cool book. Very thorough too... quite a pleasure.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:27 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I'm reading Arabian Nights.

And school books.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:04 pm
Myth says...

Washington Square -- Henry James

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:12 pm
Zelalem says...

I just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
It's a very good book, I'd recommend it to anyone!

Now I'm reading The Fight Club and then, A Catcher in the Rye.
"life is not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:18 pm
Areida says...

1984, by George Orwell, and I'm completely fascinated. I read 160 pages yesterday and my friends have been teasing me about dorkiness all day, but I could honestly care less; it's an amazing book so far.

To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, because it's a sin that I'm this old and I still haven't read it. So far it's living up to what everyone says about it. :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:28 am
Cassandra says...

Awww, I loved To Kill A Mockingbird!

I'm reading A Man Named Dave by Dave Pelzer. I liked the first two books, A Child Called 'It' and The Lost Boy better, I think.

Did anyone else hate Catcher in the Rye? I thought that book was unbelievably annoying.
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

459 Reviews

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:32 am
Poor Imp says...

The Light Beyond the Forest by Rosemary Sutcliff. A retelling of Arthurian legend - and Sutcliff is deft with the style. Though I never cared for her historical books quite so much; she can be terribly long-winded.

Enna Burning as well...and War Stories - that's a collection. It has the kommandant of Auschwitz's account of his...work - if one can demean such a word that way. Great primary sources though - firsthand accounts of WWII and historians and novelists alike taking turns here and there with the tales. But I can't recall the editor/author...

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

459 Reviews

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:33 am
Poor Imp says...

CassandraJ wrote:Awww, I loved To Kill A Mockingbird!

I'm reading A Man Named Dave by Dave Pelzer. I liked the first two books, A Child Called 'It' and The Lost Boy better, I think.

Did anyone else hate Catcher in the Rye? I thought that book was unbelievably annoying.

...Yes, unbelievably irritating. But I believe, so far, you and I are the only ones who think so.

Perhaps it's nostalgia? *_*

-Lloyd Alexander

Ghosts, demons, and ghouls cannot scare the cat's underling.
— TheMulticoloredCyr